Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2007 6:22:34 AM EDT
I found and bought a cheap extra set of C.A.R. furniture.
I am interested in covering them in a solid Desert Tan color.
The little airbrushes they sell on the DuraCoat website look a lot like the TESTORS hobby airbrushes I used to use to paint model airplanes. I already have a pretty nice one of these.

If anyone with experience with Duracoat and airbrushes can give me any advice, I would appreciate it.

Also, in addition to the single color , do I need to also clearcoat these since they are a highly used area of the rifle?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 6:51:13 AM EDT
[#1]
try the refinishing forum under armory
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 6:53:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Seriously?
There is a refinishing forum...

Man this place is big!

I'll look.
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 6:56:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I started with an air brush and it worked fine , just a little slow. as far as the clear coat goes, I have never used it. I just spray the color I chose and let it dry. just dont be in to big a hurry and put back together before its completly dry.  Its faster if you can put it in an oven but I havent ever tried that with the plastic parts, I usualy let them air dry for a day or 2.  I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I use a Badger 350 to apply the Duracoat and Norrels Molyresin.  Just use an external mix air brush.

mr45acp2u
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I use a Badger 350 to apply the Duracoat and Norrels Molyresin.  Just use an external mix air brush.

mr45acp2u

+1

I agree with the post above. There is no need for an expensive airbrush unless you plan on painting murals on cars etc.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I recently sprayed Duracoat on a bunch of rifle parts. This pic is the rifle dummied together before final assembly:

I got some overspray on my SS watch (that was not properly prep'd). Still can't get it off. I scrape at the Duracoat specs on my watch when I'm bored at work and the shit won't budge. I wouldn't bother with clearcoat.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Heavily-Armed,

The upper is glossy? Is that standard with Duracoat ?

I have been browsing the refinishing forum and I am leaning towards Krylon Plastic Fusion.
There is a color offered called Satin Almond and I think it is pretty close to the color I want.

I'll just have to buy a can and see.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Duracoat Matte Black shot with a Badger 150 airbrush.

Link Posted: 9/27/2007 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Heavily-Armed,

It wouldn't look so glossy if I had any camera skillz and didn't use the flash. That said, I'd follow what Cold said about ratio of hardener to DC. I mixed per the directions.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#11]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
Heavily-Armed,

It wouldn't look so glossy if I had any camera skillz and didn't use the flash. That said, I'd follow what Cold said about ratio of hardener to DC. I mixed per the directions.

Cool.
That is exactly the color I was wanting too.

What is the name of that color?
Can you give me one or 2 more pics close up of the starboard side with the ejection port open?
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
new pics:

Color of the duracoat is Magpul Flat Dark Earth.

Ok, that's OUTSTANDING!

Just as you said, pics made all the difference.
It's not glossy, it's more of an eggshell texture or a satin. ( Wife and I've been painting the house lately, can you tell?  hinkingMy other favorite right now is #9 AUG Green for the Body with black furniture.

I really wanted to paint the handguards and maybe I will still, but I think I am going to go for the Body of one of the rifles instead.
I have 2 franken-CAR's right now. Neither of them have any character. I think this will do it though.

The paint would purely be for asthetics sake as both of these are range guns and Coyote killers.

Link Posted: 10/2/2007 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#13]
OST
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#14]
matte clearcoat will even out sheen differences too.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Here is one I just finished for a member of Calguns.
www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=70548
Once you do it for a few years a flat finish is achievable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top