Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2020 12:57:06 PM EDT
He wants it bad and has the cash in hand. If I sell it and get something like a Hogster, how disappointed will I be? I almost never use it; bought it for SHTF days and I suppose the Hogster might work for that purpose? Or Pulsar? If I do it, I’d spend about $3K on a thermal and $2K+ for a PVS14.
FWIW, I also have a Gen3 PVS7 with 3x magnifier.

Or do I just keep the Reap and move on? It is bloody nice, have to say. Love the PVS7’s.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
He wants it bad and has the cash in hand. If I sell it and get something like a Hogster, how disappointed will I be? I almost never use it; bought it for SHTF days and I suppose the Hogster might work for that purpose? Or Pulsar? If I do it, I’d spend about $3K on a thermal and $2K+ for a PVS14.
View Quote
The Hogster is nice especially if you like the dual role of scope and/or scanner. The Hogster -R 25mm is a good close range scope probably more conducive to SHTF situations. Almost a 15° field of view, and 1.4x magnification. Will you notice the difference from a Reap and a Hogster 25. I would hope so with the Hogster 25 priced around the low-mid 2K range. However, I have never heard of someone buying a Hogster and not being happy with the image for the price. If you digitally zoom a lot, you will not love the Hogster 25. If you leave it at base mag and use PIP if you need more range, you will be fine. The higher the humidity you use it in, the less difference there will be in image quality between the Reap and the Hogster.

The Hogster 25 has a comfortable shooting range to about 125-150 yards. The 35 to about 200 yards and the Super Hogster to about 300, so which Hogster really depends on what FOV and magnification fits your needs the best.

If what you are after is a thermal scanner and don't need a thermal weapon sight, then I would recommend the newly released Bering Optics Phenom 640 12 µm scanner. It is priced at the lower $3K range, and the image is absolutely fantastic. It has a 13° FOV. I had used their 17 µm Phenom before and the 12 µm, is even better. I just drove around last night and free-hand recorded some deer. Sorry for the shakiness. The Phenom image was very comparable to a Trijicon MKIII 60 I had with me.

Bering Optics Phenom 12µm 640

Give Tom Austin a call at Night Goggles and he can get you set up no matter if you want another Trijicon, decide to go with Pulsar, or move to a Hogster or Phenom.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#2]
You will be dissapointed, IMHO.

The Trijicon has the best image out there right now under $10K. Maybe the Halo series as well.

OTOH, if you don’t use it... sell it, buy a baller PVS 14, TNVC TOR, and Hogster. You’ll have a loaner set (PVS7), a thermal, your own quality NOD, and a way to aim at night without the thermal. Maybe set up a rifle with an RDS and a tall mount for passive.

ETA: if the Phenom is as good as stated above, then that might should be your route (if you’re not dead set on thermal weapons sight).
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You will be dissapointed, IMHO.

The Trijicon has the best image out there right now under $10K. Maybe the Halo series as well.

OTOH, if you don’t use it... sell it, buy a baller PVS 14, TNVC TOR, and Hogster. You’ll have a loaner set (PVS7), a thermal, your own quality NOD, and a way to aim at night without the thermal. Maybe set up a rifle with an RDS and a tall mount for passive.

ETA: if the Phenom is as good as stated above, then that might should be your route (if you’re not dead set on thermal weapons sight).
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
FWIW, I also have a Gen3 PVS7 with 3x magnifier.

Or do I just keep the Reap and move on? It is bloody nice, have to say. Love the PVS7’s.
View Quote

If you're not using it and you have other needs/wants, then hell yeah I'd sell it to pursue those things.

I was sort of in a similar situation. I had a PTS233 scope, used it mainly handheld, shot with it rarely (no NV/thermal hunting allowed for me), and so it was pretty much a SHTF thermal scope type of deal.

I replaced it with a Breach and some other accessories which I'm using far more than I ever did the 233 alone. I should've done it sooner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top