Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2020 10:54:30 AM EDT
I'm a FNG with the PVS-14 WP.  Question is how bright do you all run your gain control?  Seems if I run it a tad on the dark side, there is more contrast but that may be just me.  I see everyone's pictures are very bright.  Advice from those in the know for best utilization??
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, ultimately it’s up to you and what you find appealing and what works. Having said that, I typically run mine maxed and just let it dim when it feels it’s necessary.

When The situation calls for it I’ll mess with the gain to get a better picture but that’s only if I’m putzing around. If it’s “go” time I don’t want to go from a dark area to a “dark” area I don’t want to have to stop and dick around turning the fain up. Not a great time to do that in a dynamic environment.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I usually turn mine down enough until I can get some peripheral vision going on if that makes sense

Call it 75% usually
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I keep mine on the darker end. Helps blend vision from the unaided eye. Depending on your tube it cuts down on noise also.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm a FNG with the PVS-14 WP.  Question is how bright do you all run your gain control?  Seems if I run it a tad on the dark side, there is more contrast but that may be just me.  I see everyone's pictures are very bright.  Advice from those in the know for best utilization??
Thanks
View Quote

The lighting conditions usually dictate how bright you want the -14 to be. All tubes are different so the tube gets a vote. For example, a tube with lower gain you may never or rarely touch.  

If it's super dark, gradual adjust the brightness level until both eyes are playing together the best. There is definitely a sweet spot. For me, the gain was usually pretty low in the dark dark.  

Like AIWB said, it's all about personal preference, so do what works best for you.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

All tubes are different so the tube gets a vote.
View Quote

Good old ITT Omni VII are so scorching bright I always crank them down. Filmless have such little fuzz that I run full power.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I run on the lower end because i'm usually just putzing around in the desert, stargazing. I'm also a cheapskate and don't want to burn out my ~3k "investment."

Running and gunning, practically speaking, I rock them as bright as a I can while still trying to preserve some peripheral/night vision for my other eye. Autogating should help if you're suddenly moving from wide open outside to an enclosed space where there would be existing light (turn that gain up!). I use more gain on green tubes than WP.

I could be doing it wrong, though...
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I've only had mine for a few months, but I've been running mine as bright as I can without getting noise. Usually that means at a little over half. If I have the gain cranked all the way up, I get a fair bit of noise, but it really seems to depend on conditions.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Listen to this man!!

Every lighting condition is different so make a habit of checking it every night and adjusting as need be.

I like to run mine low also.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, ultimately it’s up to you and what you find appealing and what works. Having said that, I typically run mine maxed and just let it dim when it feels it’s necessary.

When The situation calls for it I’ll mess with the gain to get a better picture but that’s only if I’m putzing around. If it’s “go” time I don’t want to go from a dark area to a “dark” area I don’t want to have to stop and dick around turning the fain up. Not a great time to do that in a dynamic environment.

Listen to this man!!

Every lighting condition is different so make a habit of checking it every night and adjusting as need be.

I like to run mine low also.

Good advice here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top