Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2020 10:21:54 AM EDT
My second purchase from TNVC, and goddamn was my PVS14 a gateway drug.
IR Patrol m300W weapon kit is ordered.  
I mostly wanted a scanner for hunting and for nightly training and patrolling, but for the extra money, to have the ability to clip-on or use it as standalone scope seemed a no-brainer.
I am usually in fairly dense forest, which I know will present a challenge to a thermal device, as it does to I2.  But in a SHTF scenario there are many suburbs and urban areas nearby.

This is my first foray into thermal.  Teach me something about it.  
How much brush is conceivable to detect through?
What conditions are ideal?  
In what situations does thermal really give me an edge over other skills and technologies?
I know you can't see through glass, but are there other oddities to know about?
Lastly, do I need any accessories for the Patrol(fuck I hope not)

Thanks all, much appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the world of thermal. Generally there’s not a lot of accessories to worry about but if your unit uses small batteries you may want to look into an external battery that will last for hours and hours.

Lots of practice at night is the best advice I can give. Your thermal probably has adjustments like a brightness control and then gain control along with matching your eye diopter and naturally a focus ring. You just have to go out and change the settings under different weather conditions to maximize what you can see. This is especially true in heavy humidity, mist, or rain. These three conditions can cause surroundings to wash out but any warm blooded animal should stand out like a sore thumb. ??
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Wait until you look through that sumbitch and then report back here . Worth every damn penny and I will echo the same amount the external battery. You'll definitely want that.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like about everything has been covered, but I will bring up one oddity of thermal that most people don't realize at first.
Some things will reflect LWIR like a mirror so some objects may appear hot but they are really reflecting the heat off of something else. For example, try to look into your car window with your thermal and you will likely see your body heat reflected in the image.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#5]
16650 battery $7ea

https://www.illumn.com/16650-sanyo-ur16650zta-4-35v-2500mah-flat-top.html

Get at least 4 and a charger that will charge to 4.35v

Amazon charger aisn# B07H32WVTF      $30

It will fit in place of using 2 cr123 batts. Lasts about 2-3 hrs per cell. 4 batts will go all night. I have been running these for years no problems. Don’t need to turn it off and on, just leave it on and change batts every couple hours. Turn it off when not needed for longer periods.

I soldered a small ball of solder on the + terminal to make better contact as these cells are flat tops, the solder makes a 1/2 bb sized dome and will make contact like a normal cell does.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 11:18:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I will add, don't be freaked out the first time you use it, and you realize your vision is temporarily impacted in that eye. Eventually, you won't even notice, but it can be kind of freaky the first time.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 12:53:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I mostly wanted a scanner for hunting and for nightly training and patrolling, but for the extra money, to have the ability to clip-on or use it as standalone scope seemed a no-brainer.
I am usually in fairly dense forest, which I know will present a challenge to a thermal device, as it does to I2.  But in a SHTF scenario there are many suburbs and urban areas nearby.

In what situations does thermal really give me an edge over other skills and technologies?

View Quote

Just to answer some of your questions:

1-Thermal is still line of sight so as long as the brush is not fully hiding the critter you will be able to detect. ID is another matter.

2-Ideal conditions are dry and cool. Hot and humid will degrade the image but I have seen the worst possible conditions still provide a usable (not great) image with a good thermal.

3-Thermal is king of detection especially for efficiency. It takes a few seconds to scan 360 degrees around you and determine if anything alive is within view.

My humble suggestion is to have a decent magnification scope (either thermal or i2). 1x is not very good for ID or shooting anything further than 100 yards. Its possible, but not ideal.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 9:07:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will add, don't be freaked out the first time you use it, and you realize your vision is temporarily impacted in that eye. Eventually, you won't even notice, but it can be kind of freaky the first time.
View Quote
On the Abrams we called that eye smear haha

The interior tank lights are very dim and your eyes get night adapted, but when your shooting eye is glued to the gunsight that bright ass green image burns your retina and you see a dark shadow for a long time. It makes you think your shooting eye has gone blind
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the same thermal. Use it often.
Start saving right now for a magnifier. These snap into the objective lens.
I had ordered a 60-ish mm 3X magnifier but kept a 52mm that was shipped in error.

The 1X native power of the system is perfect for what I do. 1X and the wide field of view is what I generally need. But, every now and then I want to "get closer", and that magnifier really makes an astonishing difference. With 3X optical and 2X digital zoom, you can see detail that will knock your socks off, but you aren't stuck with magnification as you would be with a dedicated magnified scope.

You made a great choice. Well done.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#10]
What have you found to be the best source for the magnifiers?
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Watch some thermal hog hunting videos on teh youtubes.  Look for videos where they are hunting in rain/snow/humid especially if they are using both light gathering and thermal.  I've seen videos where they can see 200yds in one direction but only 100 in another direction because of rain/humidity/fog.  Wet animals are harder to see on thermal in these environments.

Get a space blanket, see how you can use it to hide things from thermal.

And of course, WINDOWS ARE EFFECTIVE CONCEALMENT FOR THERMAL.  If you are in a SHTF situation you better not be relying on thermal scanning alone.

Out of curiosity do you plan to get a helmet mount for your M300W or are you just going to use it mounted on a weapon?  It would be funny to run pvs14 on one eye and thermal on the other.  Might be cheaper to get one of those coti thermal units the NVG thread is going nuts over strapped on to a pvs14.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 4:34:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
We call that the stank eye
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Walk around with it during the day and at night. Remember you are seeing heat...not light. Fun weirdness...black trashbags are transparent.
 You can see nails in studs and siding of stick built houses at night on a cold night. With practice you can tell how long a car has been sitting.
Watch a car drive up...note the tires and brakes...and how long the engine glows. Look at chairs, beds, shoes you just took off. You will be
amazed how you can see the heat left behind. Put your hand on a window for 10 seconds and enjoy how long the IR print lasts!
Trees are alive, they are warm. So are insects. You can see the heat of an animal shine through brush...and track it. Concrete floors are reflective
and look polished at heat frequencies. Look at a squirrel on a cold night...it looks exactly like a rat!

Take your shoes off and walk backwards and laugh at the footprints! Great on hardwood floors. Windows are heat mirrors. You can see wires in the walls
that are under a good load...look at your breaker panel and see which circuits draw the most power. You can see air leaks around doors and windows
easily when it gets cold. You can see hidden roof leaks and other damage too. Go nuts. A good thermal is useful for much more than hunting.
I use a FLIR LS-XR. Welcome to epic dude!
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 5:59:59 PM EDT
[#14]
As far as an edge goes...camo won't save you from thermal. Ideal for detecting ambushes. Good camo beats NVG but
thermal...not so much. It sees through smoke well too. Fog is another matter. Remember you are seeing heat so the body
is the emitter...it is shining. Dense woods are a good place to use alert features if your scope has them. I strongly recommend
bringing a pal and see how well he can surprise you...or not. During the day with lots of sun thermal blows. The sun heats up
everything and contrast goes away. That what good binos are for! Winter, cold and crisp, is optimum for thermal use. Best range
and contrast by far. Summer...not so much...heavy rain...poor.
Practice using it. Giant upside is you can train with it regardless of light level...it is not fragile like a image intensifier tube is.
  Cold and dry conditions at night will freak you out. You will see every critter from songbirds roosting to bears. Possums are
comical too.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Thermal is the best option for detection even in the worst of conditions. The picture shows two squirrels in two trees at 115 yards after raining all day. Note that the trees in the background are all washed out since they are the same temperature but the squirrels stand out just fine.

Link Posted: 10/16/2020 8:00:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought my magnifier (Torrey Pines Logic - now under a different name but top notch) from Kathleen at P&R Infrared in Beaverton, OR. PRInfrared dot com
I am local to them, her prices often beat all others, and she will order what I want.
BTW, the magnifier I bought was intended for EOTech X320 and fits the MW300 perfectly.

Bought other items from TNVC and UNV and the others, and I am sure they can get magnifiers as well.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

My understanding was that newer M300W’s don’t have the clip-on capability anymore. Please keep us updated if that is true.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 7:23:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Thank you all, helpful stuff so far.
I appreciate the external battery recommendation.
I definitely do want a magnifier, but given the range I'll usually be using this, and the obscene price tag of the magnifiers, I gotta wait for now.
I was thinking of attempting to side by side the Patrol with my PVS14, but that's at the bottom of my list for now.  After I've used it a bit I might do the research into helmet mounting and determine if it makes sense to SxS it with my I2.  Otherwise Ill lanyard it around my neck most of the time.
As for clip on capability, the M300W is heavily advertised as being clip-on capable. This is from TNVC's page:
'The IR Patrol M300W is a Weapon-Mounted Thermal Monocular Scope. It is capable of being used as a standalone scope with internal digital reticle or in a clip-on capacity in front of low magnification weapon optics.'
So I hope it works!  I am willing to accept some POI shift and fudginess, as I am shooting under 200 yards the vast majority of the time.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 9:24:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thank you all, helpful stuff so far.
I appreciate the external battery recommendation.
I definitely do want a magnifier, but given the range I'll usually be using this, and the obscene price tag of the magnifiers, I gotta wait for now.
I was thinking of attempting to side by side the Patrol with my PVS14, but that's at the bottom of my list for now.  After I've used it a bit I might do the research into helmet mounting and determine if it makes sense to SxS it with my I2.  Otherwise Ill lanyard it around my neck most of the time.
As for clip on capability, the M300W is heavily advertised as being clip-on capable. This is from TNVC's page:
'The IR Patrol M300W is a Weapon-Mounted Thermal Monocular Scope. It is capable of being used as a standalone scope with internal digital reticle or in a clip-on capacity in front of low magnification weapon optics.'
So I hope it works!  I am willing to accept some POI shift and fudginess, as I am shooting under 200 yards the vast majority of the time.
View Quote

I asked TNVC and they acknowledged that their listing was outdated. Perhaps they have NOS that doesn’t have the firmware update that deleted the clip-on functionality. I’d be very interested in the M300W if it still had the clip on capability, so I hope I’m wrong. Maybe TNVC can chime in to clear things up.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I asked TNVC and they acknowledged that their listing was outdated. Maybe TNVC can chime in to clear things up.
View Quote

I hope that's not the case, if true, it would have been nice to have been told that during my communication with them.

I'm more excited about looking at the inefficiencies of my home than I thought I would be. I'm pretty young, hoping that maybe over the course of my life the thermal will pay itself off in detecting home issues
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Bumping this thread for more info on how the patrol does weapon mounted. These come up on the used market for a good price, how would the patrol compare to the Nvision HALO 25mm, NOX or other similar 640 core TWS?
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't have it in hand yet, but did just get my shipping alert

I read on snipershide that it works well rifle mounted, but what I wish it had was an internal memory that allowed you to swap between different guns with a return to zero for each one.  As it is I will probably seasonally sight it in for the firearm I will use it with, and otherwise plan to use it helmet mounted and handheld.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Bumping this thread for more info on how the patrol does weapon mounted. These come up on the used market for a good price, how would the patrol compare to the Nvision HALO 25mm, NOX or other similar 640 core TWS?
View Quote

Not sure about nox comparison, but image will be similar to nvision.  Base mag is 1x claimed, seems like I read it was actually 1.1x. Not sure if true or how that’s tested/proven.  The only thing that you might be wanting is more magnification. Depends on how you hunt, or primary use as scanner vs scope. My Trijicon/or defense stuff all has held up well over the years.  Hope this helps
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I read on snipershide that it works well rifle mounted, but what I wish it had was an internal memory that allowed you to swap between different guns with a return to zero for each one.  As it is I will probably seasonally sight it in for the firearm I will use it with, and otherwise plan to use it helmet mounted and handheld.
View Quote

Unless I’m wrong, it should have ability to have 4 different zeros for various rifles.  You should research before taking my word, last patrol I had was years ago, before Trijicon, so might be remembering something that isn’t accurate
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 8:39:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have the same thermal. Use it often.
Start saving right now for a magnifier. These snap into the objective lens.
I had ordered a 60-ish mm 3X magnifier but kept a 52mm that was shipped in error.
View Quote

Do you use your patrol weapon mounted? Would like to hear what caliber and how it does if so. I read since the joystick doesn't have a lock like the reap the menu can turn on while shooting.

Quoted:
View Quote

Nice id like to hear how it works out for you. Ive spent a lot of time behind a helmet mounted thermal and for detection it is second to none.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not sure about nox comparison, but image will be similar to nvision.  Base mag is 1x claimed, seems like I read it was actually 1.1x. Not sure if true or how that’s tested/proven.  The only thing that you might be wanting is more magnification. Depends on how you hunt, or primary use as scanner vs scope. My Trijicon/or defense stuff all has held up well over the years.  Hope this helps
View Quote

Appreciate the response, I am looking for more of a dedicated weapon sight 100-150 yards max. The magnifier seems like a cool option assuming its quick to install, I know its not cheap.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 9:10:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I never had a magnifier. I was like everybody else though , I wanted something that would do everything. This stuff is high as hell, but I learned dedicated is way to go..... I will add, based on lots of trial and error, a weapon sight that gets used as a hand held scanner, is way better than a hand held that also gets used as a weapon sight.  Again, my personal experience....
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 2:42:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have you had a chance to shoot with it yet?  How does it work as a clip-on as you say was advertised?
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 2:46:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Also wtf lol  “hey I f’ed around and bought a thermal what are thermal?”
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 9:24:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Got my shipping notice from TNVC, so hoping to have it this week or early next.  (They had warned of 2 month shipping time, so I am content with the 1.5 months I waited.)
I will likely spend some time with it handheld before I strap it onto a gun.

After reading about 9000 threads that talk about all of the intricacies and tactics of using I2, I was hoping for some similar reading regarding thermal, but all of the thermal threads are just 'Which thermal should I buy' or videos of pigs being shot.

Unfortunately, all of me thermal experience is in videogames like 'Escape from Tarkov' which is allegedly realistic to function, but I'm sure once I get out in the woods and start gooning with the Patrol I will discover some additional capabilities and limitations that I wasn't aware of.

I live in a woodland preserve and I am most excited to observe our local wildlife and learn a bit more about their habits and movement.  I'm just not that good at spotting deer with my naked eyes with the thick forests here.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:33:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I never had a magnifier. I was like everybody else though , I wanted something that would do everything. This stuff is high as hell, but I learned dedicated is way to go..... I will add, based on lots of trial and error, a weapon sight that gets used as a hand held scanner, is way better than a hand held that also gets used as a weapon sight.  Again, my personal experience....
View Quote

What have you found best as a handheld?
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#32]
That’s a pretty subjective question.  If you prefer image quality nvision or Trijicon hands down, anybody that says different is lying, or has never used anything other that what they have in their hand.  Overall value different question.  I’ve been using a pulsar Helton for last 3 years. It’s a good image, but not the best. What it does do best, for me..... reasonably priced, allows me to spend extra on the actual scope, which to me is the most important
Also important to me, is the size/shape of the thing. It happens to fit nice and secure in thigh pockets of pants I wear. The Trijicon did too, but the joystick setup would change settings in my pocket, so it was irritating to have to reset every time. The nvision is doesn’t fit in my pockets, and while badass, it either get worn around my neck, or left on buggy/truck for final stalk. That lends itself to being forgotten about, and either falling out or being run over by somebody that didn’t realize it was there to begin with. So to answer question, what I think is best, in both image and overall quality of build, don’t actually work out best for me from a functional standpoint.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#33]
[b]
Unfortunately, all of me thermal experience is in videogames like 'Escape from Tarkov' which is allegedly realistic to function, but I'm sure once I get out in the woods and start gooning with the Patrol I will discover some additional capabilities and limitations that I wasn't aware of.
View Quote

Well thermal is just as OP in real life as in EFT, you won't be disappointed
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
16650 battery $7ea

https://www.illumn.com/16650-sanyo-ur16650zta-4-35v-2500mah-flat-top.html

Get at least 4 and a charger that will charge to 4.35v

Amazon charger aisn# B07H32WVTF      $30

It will fit in place of using 2 cr123 batts. Lasts about 2-3 hrs per cell. 4 batts will go all night. I have been running these for years no problems. Don’t need to turn it off and on, just leave it on and change batts every couple hours. Turn it off when not needed for longer periods.

I soldered a small ball of solder on the + terminal to make better contact as these cells are flat tops, the solder makes a 1/2 bb sized dome and will make contact like a normal cell does.
View Quote

Will this work in a  REAP-IR also?
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Will this work in a  REAP-IR also?
View Quote

It should. I use an IRX battery extender with  Keeppower 17500 batteries in mine. Get around 5-6 hours runtime depending on temp. Only works with the horizontal battery compartment model though.

I don’t know if power regulation is different in the vertical compartment model. If you’ve got that I’d check with Trijicon.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#36]
My intention is to get a battery conversion cap like the one featured in this set:
https://outdoorlegacygear.com/products/ir-hunter-ir-patrol-reap-ir-external-usb-battery-adapter-kit?variant=42950918357

Does anyone know where I can buy just the cap without all of the accessories?  Or at the very least, where this battery conversion kit is in stock?
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My intention is to get a battery conversion cap like the one featured in this set:
https://outdoorlegacygear.com/products/ir-hunter-ir-patrol-reap-ir-external-usb-battery-adapter-kit?variant=42950918357

Does anyone know where I can buy just the cap without all of the accessories?  Or at the very least, where this battery conversion kit is in stock?
View Quote

I think that’s made by UNV.  To my knowledge, it’s the only one made. You can get the power cord made by Mbl phone repair guys, but I’ve not ever seen it for sale anywhere.  I think it’s better for the optic itself. There’s no shock load on recoil to dislodge battery compartment like IRX( or similar) models.  Downside is wires. Wires suck for in the dark stuff...
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think the reap-ir is the best handheld I’ve ever used.  The ergos and shape are very natural and the image is outstanding.  I like mine better as a scanner over a scope.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 8:37:43 PM EDT
[#39]
What I don't like about the REAP-IR is the joystick control. It is frustrating to use. I constantly overshoot what I want in the menu or I bump it and nothing happens.

I have the TNVC external battery kit for the REAP-IR. It works well except for the plastic battery housing, that broke fairly quick. There is a weak spot between the mounting and the rest of the battery holder and min snapped just putting it on the rail.

I now use a slightly wider than 1 inch USB round battery ( 6500 ma IIRC )  that is in a 45 offset flashlight mount and that seems to work well hunting. If i go in the rain I take that off and use 123s because an external battery pack is not water proof.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 8:42:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I think the reap-ir is the best handheld I’ve ever used.  The ergos and shape are very natural and the image is outstanding.  I like mine better as a scanner over a scope.
View Quote

This kind of proves my point about subjective.   I use the reap as a shooter.  It would be awesome as both, if it fit in my pockets.... I tried using it as both, but my degenerate hunting partner ended up killing everything before I could slap it back on the rifle after we rounded corner and saw pigs.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 4:42:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted: my degenerate hunting partner ended up killing everything before I could slap it back on the rifle after we rounded corner and saw pigs.
View Quote

HMT is life.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

HMT is life.
View Quote

Was trying to ask you about it in some other thread. The iray...
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 11:34:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
On Nox, you can save up to four reticle profiles to swap between guns, etc.

View Quote

If y’all actually pull this off, and this thing does what it says it will, you’ll be my heroes
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 12:21:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Current production patrol units do NOT have clip-on functionality

For a couple years now this has been the case

The magnifiers are not a great idea if you are trying to use the unit weapon mounted because it can move which will "adjust" your point of impact vs point of aim

Another thing that wasn't mentioned much is that the amount of temp change from day to night helps show contrasts in vegetation and landscape. So dusk and dawn will see a little more muted moment while in transition of temps, but the worst is when you have a 24 hour period that the temperature stays pretty much the same. This will do the same thing as rain by allowing everything to be at a matched temp.

The 300 is a great unit though, and very flexible in use

External battery pack is great when helmet mounting as you can remote the battery to back of helmet to help offset weight while using a large enough battery to run all night

For the patrol vs 25mm Halo comment... I love my Halo units, but I did get rid of my 25mm after getting a 300 patrol. They are too close to the same ability and the 300 allowed me to helmet mount. The nox is a hell of an alternative to the patrol now though and given that it's a five year newer design is should show a little more up to date design. Is it worth selling a300 to get... Not really as they are too close from what is being shown, but if buying new after the nox is available I'd suggest going for it instead

I won't be letting my patrol go even when the Nox gets here though. Having "flexible" units means you can do things with them depending on your current situation and event that makes having items like patrol and nox EXTREMELY beneficial
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 12:30:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 1:04:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Was trying to ask you about it in some other thread. The iray...
View Quote

Whoops I missed it. Link? Or tag me?
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 12:22:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm quite confident in the Nox now.  Production is ramping up and we should start commercial shipments very soon.
View Quote
Awesome. I can't wait to try one out. I love my Atlas 50mm as a scanner/ID'er from the hunting truck, but it is bulky for keeping on your person for the final stalk, just as Tmm1270 said above. I usually just leave the Atlas in the truck and switch to the HALO 25mm on the rifle for scanning/shooting. It will be nice to have a small monocular that'll fit in a pocket like I used to do with my old FLIR scout, but way better image.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 12:27:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've really enjoyed the "Both eyes open" scanning with the Nvision Atlas 50mm. Excellent image as well. However, it is bulkier than most other scanners, so you can't cram it in a pocket on a stalk. It either stays in the hunting buggy or you're slinging it like a pair of binoculars along with your rifle, which can get "Tangly". YMMV.

ETA: I've used most of the Trijicon scopes as well, but I don't own any. Excellent image quality and they would make great handheld scanners too, as noted above by others.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top