Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2020 10:17:14 PM EDT
Under NODS when there is no key in the ignition and the engine not running. I was out in the field tonight, turned around to walk back to the house and observed the flashing on and off on my trailer. I unplugged the pig tail and naturally it stopped but this cannot be seen without the PVS-14’s on. I am puzzled....
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 10:19:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Parasitic draw in your trailer wiring?
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 10:28:11 PM EDT
[#2]
They are on??? or are they reflecting an IR source you are using?
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 10:29:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 10:34:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Infrared
View Quote

Explain please....
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 10:41:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 10:53:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Under NODS when there is no key in the ignition and the engine not running. I was out in the field tonight, turned around to walk back to the house and observed the flashing on and off on my trailer. I unplugged the pig tail and naturally it stopped but this cannot be seen without the PVS-14’s on. I am puzzled....
View Quote

What truck?
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 11:05:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I ask because my 2020 GMC AT4 flashes the trailer lights for security.  If the truck is locked, and it senses the trailer isn’t there, it sets the alarm off
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 11:24:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I ask because my 2020 GMC AT4 flashes the trailer lights for security.  If the truck is locked, and it senses the trailer isn’t there, it sets the alarm off
View Quote

Neat.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 12:44:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Neat.
View Quote

"the trailer lights may periodically flash as part of the trailer theft deterrent function. These flashes may be more visible in dark ambient light environments..."

The More You Know
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 12:53:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lots of vehicles have "leaks" in the electrical system. I'd bet this is the case, here.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 1:05:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Ir eminating from your nods, strobe, auxillary IR light, or some other blinkly light hitting the reflectors in your tail lights?  

And then I read the third sentence.  Ignore me.

Link Posted: 10/13/2020 1:36:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I have led spotlights on my house ac that glow when not triggered on

the ir trigger must leak enough voltage to slightly power the circuit

there could be a slight voltage leak passing the switch that charges a capacitor that releases the voltage and then recycles, causing the blink
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 6:53:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Ford F250
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 12:29:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Infrared
View Quote

Lol no, dork.

There is power back feeding into the light circuit looking for ground.  This is common with vehicle wiring systems, and LED bulbs especially.  Since the average owner doesn't have NV and won't ever know, the vehicle engineers don't add the diodes needed to truly kill back feeding.

On my old Z71, when I hit the brake pedal, the front parking lights illuminate juuuuust a tad.  The human eye can't see it, but NV can.  Just having wires next to each other can be enough.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#16]
hold up, are you implying I can reduce current to my LED pods and produce IR light with them without buying a babillion$ IR light pod? Or is that light in the visible spectrum but with the reduced current just not emitting enough photon energy for the human eyeball to functionally pick up?

I assumed the latter but if I can make some of these LEDs work for me without spending $100+ a pod for IR wavelength pods I'm breaking out the notebook.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 11:01:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 9:05:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Holy cow, I saw this "flashing" on a truck's trailer down the street just the other week.
I wondered what the heck it was, and yes, I was outside checking out the stars.

Well done, guys.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 3:11:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That’d be infrared Ben.
View Quote

I suspect it’s probably just very dim visible light, looks like the stars are humanize cannot see, but that show up under NV so clearly.

But if you want to unpack your IR theory, I’d love to hear it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I suspect it’s probably just very dim visible light, looks like the stars are humanize cannot see, but that show up under NV so clearly.

But if you want to unpack your IR theory, I’d love to hear it.
View Quote

He's just noodling us above and essentially saying you have to change the LED to change the band gap to allow different wavelengths to pass.

I figured that but had to get the pocketprotector platoon next door to rexplain it again after getting a bit too hopeful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top