Halo Max 0.94 max 1.25
EBI phot max: 0.49 max 2.5
2x10-6 fc: 68544
Resolution center 64
FOM Max 1728
Signal noise reading: 27, min 21
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 12:21:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Same. Seems like a great entry point into the hobby.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 12:38:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Got in on this deal as well.  Also picked up the TOR-MINI IR and hopefully that is not on back-order too long!  Should be a good start to night vision before going binos in the future.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 12:38:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Yea great prices. Those xls tubes are pretty sweet. Some of them have great specs.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 12:43:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Do they come with spec sheets? I would assume so.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 12:47:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 12:48:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I might have ordered 2.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 1:02:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Ya'll need to leave their website alone till after I get my order in....its bogged down.

You may now proceed.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 1:34:24 AM EDT
[#8]
thanks for all the info and the link. thought this was supposed to be released tomorrow.

and yall broke their site.

found it. site still hammered.

wonder if they will do a bino set with these.

eta THEY DO. https://tnvc.com/shop/ngi-rnvg-xls-gen-3-thin-filmed-white-phosphor-ruggedized-binocular-nvg-elbit-usa-tube/

Damn I would totally buy that if I was single or wanted to be single again.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 1:44:41 AM EDT
[#9]
What's the current poop on mounting these on an AR15?   Will recoil damage them prematurely?  

Or is helmet/skull-cap mounting the only way to go?

Link Posted: 7/3/2020 2:06:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 2:24:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Weapon mounting is not recommended.

You can sort of get away with it with a 14, but it's not really designed for recoil mitigation.

Head-mounted or handheld is the way to go.

~Augee
View Quote

Thanks Augee.  Can you recommend a mounting solution for someone who wants to stomp around the farm a night and dispatch varmints?  Also, I have a big egg. Size 8/2XL hats. Perhaps something that could be moved to a high-cut ACH later?  The Crye Precision NightCap -looks- like what I want, but it looks like it needs a shroud and then I'll need an arm and mount of some sort

ETA: Reading industry forums and found your vid, watching now... Beginner's Guide To PVS-14 Mounts and Options... Yeah, good overview here:  
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry/TNVC-Educational-Video-Beginner-s-Guide-To-PVS-14-Mounts-and-Options/209-295601/

So, headgear+shroud.  Current helmet has 3-hole mount but want something lighter for general use.

Mount - L4 G11, use with included j-arm,
Mount upgrade: L4 G24, with Wilcox PVS-14 j-arm.  Any issues with the auto-off arm?  More parts, more failure points?  
Lanyard.

Seeing some notes that the NightCap doesn't work well for fat heads, so might need another option, that still works with electronic ear-pro.

Link Posted: 7/3/2020 5:10:07 AM EDT
[#12]
So from my basic understanding on this offering. The tubes range from great specs to ehh. Even on the lower end though, would you all pick this over a green PVS14 of TNVCs regular offerings? Seems like this will be a hard one to pass up!
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 10:21:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Any comment from TNVC on the specs they’re generally seeing on these tubes?
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#14]
So how do the NGI/PVS-14-XLS GEN. 3 THIN-FILMED WHITE PHOSPHOR MNVD (ELBIT USA TUBE) compare to the the 4G ECHO High Performance Gen 2 White pvs-14 that i ordeded on 3/31 and shipped yesterday from tvnc ?
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So how do the NGI/PVS-14-XLS GEN. 3 THIN-FILMED WHITE PHOSPHOR MNVD (ELBIT USA TUBE) compare to the the 4G ECHO High Performance Gen 2 White pvs-14 that i ordeded on 3/31 and shipped yesterday from tvnc ?
View Quote

They XLS will be better in the extreme dark, the average snr specs on the echos should be higher, but the xls could be much higher. So its a coin toss, if you get a good xls tube it will be much better over all, even if it is not a great tube it will see in the dark better which will equalize it somewhat. It all depends what you want to do with it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 2:00:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry guys, I don’t see all of the hype.

Nods isn’t a cheap sport. After IR laser, illum, helmet, etc., you’ve got lots of more money to spend. Not considering that you’ll need to get a can eventually (like most people who actually shoot at night).

All of this to say - save $500-$800 or spend $3,200 for a mil spec unit is a no brainer to me. But I understand people have different budgets or concerns so hopefully this helps some people out.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Call me old fashioned, but I really preferred your summer sale ads of years gone by that always featured a delightful picture along with the words  Pretty sure it was the hive that put a stop to that one
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I might have ordered 2.
View Quote

Interesting choice over the binos.
I was hoping that adding another down the road was a good option over just replacing with binos. Sure, why not right?
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Sorry guys, I don’t see all of the hype.

Nods isn’t a cheap sport. After IR laser, illum, helmet, etc., you’ve got lots of more money to spend. Not considering that you’ll need to get a can eventually (like most people who actually shoot at night).

All of this to say - save $500-$800 or spend $3,200 for a mil spec unit is a no brainer to me. But I understand people have different budgets or concerns so hopefully this helps some people out.
View Quote

On the binos it's a lot more than 5-800. For me it was either a set of amazing spec binos, or a set of these AND a thermal scanner. I already have the support items but couldn't justify the cash difference on a single unit.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 11:03:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 3:24:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Augee,  or others in the know.

If I do the bino version is it possible to split them into individuals later?

Alternatively if I got a monocular could I possibly bridge it later with another of these, or if these aren't available another unit?

One more question if I may as I've been looking for a while and know I want a wp unit. I see people say that a monocular is the way to go as your eyes adapt yadda yadda, but then when guys show their rigs I see an abundance of binos. So is a monocular the best setup or is a bino. I know, a big question...
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Alternatively if I got a monocular could I possibly bridge it later with another of these, or if these aren't available another unit?

One more question if I may as I've been looking for a while and know I want a wp unit. I see people say that a monocular is the way to go as your eyes adapt yadda yadda, but then when guys show their rigs I see an abundance of binos. So is a monocular the best setup or is a bino. I know, a big question...
View Quote

The bino housings don’t split up.

Yes, you can bridge two 14s

Personal preference, general consensus is going to be binos are better because you have better depth perfection
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 4:06:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Personal preference, general consensus is going to be binos are better because you have better depth perfection
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So 14s bridge, but are these the same as a 14 physically so they would bridge too?

Would one of these bridge with a 14?

Sorry if these are basic questions. Not having ever laid hands on a set I'm a bit new to this.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So 14s bridge, but are these the same as a 14 physically so they would bridge too?

Would one of these bridge with a 14?

Sorry if these are basic questions. Not having ever laid hands on a set I'm a bit new to this.
View Quote

The monocular are PVS14s. The binos offered are RNVGs.

Two of the monoculars would bridge to form a binocular set, however it comes at the expensive of weight and separate controls (unless using a TNVC PBM).
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I tend to prefer Bump helmets like the Ops-Core Bump because they're easier to don/doff and are more stable. I live in Coastal South Carolina and to me the Night Cap doesn't offer much advantage over a ventilated bump in terms of being cool on the head--honestly in the summer, if I'm going to be out for a while, I wear a skull cap (durag) under my helmet anyways to soak up sweat, and I find that that helps more with fogging and sweat than anything else, but I came up wearing ballistics in the dead of summer in South Carolina, North Carolina, and Georgia backwoods.

The Night Cap was designed for and is good for, IMHO, extremely covert work, where you can shove it in a cargo pocket or backpack without attracting much notice--which nowadays means going on vacation with the wife when she prohibits me from bringing a helmet.

I'm not a big fan of the auto-off arm, because I actually don't like the dogleg shape, I prefer the increased eye relief of the straight arm, and because the auto on/off function of the PVS-14 has frankly just never been that reliable, which means that the auto on/off arm isn't that reliable either--not through any failure of the arm itself, but just the general unreliability of the function to which it connects.

~Augee
View Quote
Augee - Thanks for the info.  I've ordered the NGI/PVS-14-XLS to get the ball rolling.  Are there any must-have spare parts for more common failures that I should keep in the bag?  Spare battery cover? Lens covers/protectors? O-rings?  What am I going to break/lose first?  

Battery recommendations/warnings?  Assuming Energizer Lithiums are gtg.  What's the consensus on rechargeables such as Eneloops?

-Jim
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Augee - Thanks for the info.  I've ordered the NGI/PVS-14-XLS to get the ball rolling.  Are there any must-have spare parts for more common failures that I should keep in the bag?  Spare battery cover? Lens covers/protectors? O-rings?  What am I going to break/lose first?  

Battery recommendations/warnings?  Assuming Energizer Lithiums are gtg.  What's the consensus on rechargeables such as Eneloops?

-Jim
View Quote

Besides helmet, shroud (if needed), mount, and arm (j-arm/dual dovetail adapter), a PVS14 is pretty sufficient by itself. I always have sacrificial lenses screwed onto both objective and ocular lenses to protect the optics from scratching and I also have a Butler Creek scope cover to use as a daylight filter.

Just always use Energizer lithiums; the cost of the batteries is just noise compared to the rest of the system and it'll save you a lot of potential headache/costs from running alkalines or rechargeables.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Besides helmet, shroud (if needed), mount, and arm (j-arm/dual dovetail adapter), a PVS14 is pretty sufficient by itself. I always have sacrificial lenses screwed onto both objective and ocular lenses to protect the optics from scratching and I also have a Butler Creek scope cover to use as a daylight filter.

Just always use Energizer lithiums; the cost of the batteries is just noise compared to the rest of the system and it'll save you a lot of potential headache/costs from running alkalines or rechargeables.
View Quote

Figured that would be the answer on batteries.  I was mostly wondering what my options were if I should find myself without lithium batteries.  I like the idea of the sacrificial lenses.  I do that with filters on my camera lenses.  What's a good option for a PVS-14?

It seems I'm going to have to shop around for a bump helmet.  My 24 1/4" head puts me in the 2XL range although I've managed XL in the past, it's just not comfortable.  I'd really like to have a more comfortable, balanced setup for when I'm stumbling around in the dark.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Figured that would be the answer on batteries.  I was mostly wondering what my options were if I should find myself without lithium batteries.  I like the idea of the sacrificial lenses.  I do that with filters on my camera lenses.  What's a good option for a PVS-14?

It seems I'm going to have to shop around for a bump helmet.  My 24 1/4" head puts me in the 2XL range although I've managed XL in the past, it's just not comfortable.  I'd really like to have a more comfortable, balanced setup for when I'm stumbling around in the dark.
View Quote

You can run it using alkalines, just make sure you don't store it with them in (good practice to always remove the battery after use even if it's a lithium).

I use OPR8 sacrificial lenses.

There's a few options out there for buckets. OpsCore bump (or carbon if you're balling), Team Wendy bump (their helmets are still very well designed and made if you don't care about politics), MTEK FLUX carbon, or you could get an airsoft helmet like a PTS MTEK FLUX and replace all the stuff with real kit (shroud, rails, pads, chinstrap, etc).

You may or may not also need a counterweight (some people don't, I personally do).

Regardless of what helmet you get, 4D pads are 100% recommended as an upgrade; they make a huge difference in comfort.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 10:16:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Are there any comparison videos of these yet.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had a pretty high spec XLS tube that i compared to a high FOM filmless 1701 with pics and videos.

Not all of them will be high spec, but it’s still in the realm of possibility of what you COULD get
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 11:27:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not video, but the thin-filmed WP photos in this thread are from an XLS:

Quoted:
FYI Guys the center photo is from an NGI XLS PVS-14 with a 1793 FOM

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Gen-3-comparison-shots/18-513017/?page=1
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm in for one as well. I am just hoping I get a tube that matches the performance of my current OMNI VII GP it will replace. It would suck having to downgrade my tube performance just for WP. We shall see as others start receiving their new units and posting specs!
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 8:10:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Disregard
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:03:39 AM EDT
[#36]
I have a Photonis echo with...

Fom 1832
Equiv background input 0.05
Luminance gain 8149
Center resolution 67
Snr 27.35

Whatever all that means I have no idea but I’m curious, how would these new units from TNVC compare?
I’ve not even had this one a month and am debating binos at some point now.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have a Photonis echo with...

Fom 1832
Equiv background input 0.05
Luminance gain 8149
Center resolution 67
Snr 27.35

Whatever all that means I have no idea but I’m curious, how would these new units from TNVC compare?
I’ve not even had this one a month and am debating binos at some point now.
View Quote

There are no guarantees as you can't "hand select" your tube for this deal. So, some specs could be higher, some could be lower. We are all "rolling the dice" on this deal. With that being said, TNVC is hinting that the specs should be pretty good on these tubes.

Either way, your Photonis Echo tube is a GEN 2+ So, this would be an upgrade being a full GEN 3 tube - your extreme low light conditions will improve with this new unit.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#38]
So what else do I need with this unit?

I need a helmet or bump cap, and it comes with a j arm. Does the j arm mount it to the helmet or is there something between?

Then I'll get a sacrifical lens for objective and a Butler Creek 9A.

Guess I'll wait to see how it feels before looking into counterweight.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#39]
you will need a mount/arm that goes between the helmet mounting shroud and the J arm you mentioned. You can go USGI with the Norotos USGI Rhino mount arm, Rhino 2 arm, or similar. The Norotos units can be found in a used/surplus condition for pretty cheap on ebay or here on the equipment exchange.

Or, you could start out simple and buy yourself a "skull crusher" to get yourself going on the cheap for only around $35 This will allow you to test out the device and get familiar with it before buying a helmet and all the mounting hardware. I also keep "skull crushers" around for backup equipment as well.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Ok, I put in an order for a 14. I couldn't resist at under $2400 and frankly, it's long overdue.

But somebody help an NV noob out. After a little research, I've decided to start with an Ops Core bump, Rhino (probably a used one), and the included j arm.

But what about IR illuminators/lasers? Jesus, that shit's confusing! Combo units, separate illuminators and lasers, helmet-mounted illuminators, ELIR with the filter removed, Perst from Russia... wtf.

I want to have the ability to engage 4-legged or 2-legged beasts within 200 meters without spending a fortune. What are some options?
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 11:20:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ok, I put in an order for a 14. I couldn't resist at under $2400 and frankly, it's long overdue.

But somebody help an NV noob out. After a little research, I've decided to start with an Ops Core bump, Rhino (probably a used one), and the included j arm.

But what about IR illuminators/lasers? Jesus, that shit's confusing! Combo units, separate illuminators and lasers, helmet-mounted illuminators, ELIR with the filter removed, Perst from Russia... wtf.

I want to have the ability to engage 4-legged or 2-legged beasts within 200 meters without spending a fortune. What are some options?
View Quote

PID at 200 yards with nods and no magnification is iffy at best, even with a good illuminator.

Honestly, get your NV in then start messing with illumination. Once you play with it you'll get a better idea of what you need - whether you want flood or a focused beam. No commercial LAM units other than DBAL and MAWL are going to get illumination out to 200 yards. A PERST will.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Get a rhino 2

You probably will want the fandyfire ir flashlight for 20 bucks from amazon to mount on your helmet. It will let you light things way out there or wide area lighting.

laser, cheapest is the mini tor from tnvc but kind of limited in my opinion for rifle mounting. look at pics on here and tnvc.  Next cheapest would be a holosun 117ir for a little over 300. Paired with any one of the various ir lights meant for weapon mounting for 2 to 300.

then we get in to combined units, laser and ir light. price goes up rapidly. Many options just need to decide. But do lots of reading to learn pitfalls for each before you decide.

https://www.holosun.com/index/product/detail/id/161

https://tnvc.com/shop/steiner-tnvc-tor-mini-ir-vpc-variable-power-control/
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm in the same boat.  I guess going to take a closer look at the Holoson.  otherwise I jump to the DBAL.  I think having the combo D2 version would be nice for weight and integration, though I recall seeing some comments about the illuminator not being as strong as a dedicated light (not sure if that's true).

I did order a Fandy, figure its worth a try for the $.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#45]
The thread you need

I was in the same boat, until yesterday.  I tried to bump the thread back t the front thanks to TNVC and the big sale.   It really needs a sticky.

@-Abyss-

Link Posted: 7/6/2020 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Just for starting out I stuck with the Streamlight Sidewinder for a helmet mount.   Just wait until you get past this and onto DBAL i2 vs MAWL vs ... for IR laser.   No one told me I would have to go back to college for this hobby.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 4:04:36 PM EDT
[#47]
@sq40

Not $3k by itself.
$3k with helmet and IR light and some bells and whistles
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
@sq40

Not $3k by itself.
$3k with helmet and IR light and some bells and whistles
View Quote

Thank you for this.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 9:07:50 PM EDT
[#49]
How do these ship?
Hard case like a pistol?
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
How do these ship?
Hard case like a pistol?
View Quote

Green soft bag with the accessories inside.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top