Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2020 10:47:08 PM EDT
Hello all, I purchased a 2006 AA battery powered IR/visible laser from a board member here last year and i didn't check the IR laser until just now. I discovered that it doesn't work. I know i should have but my dad became ill and he almost died and I've  been busy dealing with his affairs. It was a long recovery for him and i have not been able to do any do a much shooting not to mention no night shooting.  I was wondering if Laser devices would even work on such a old unit? Is there anyone that would? Would it be cost effective to even fix it? Im going to contact them in the morning to see if they will work on it but i wanted to get my ducks in a row in case if they dont. Any advice is welcomed, thanks....
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:00:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:07:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Couple of questions.

Does the switch feel funky in any way? like mushy, or less positive when changed?

Do you hear anything when you turn it on in visible and does it stay the same when set to IR. a lot of old drivers had a whine as they adjusted the power to the laser as it turned on. it literally would need to be against your ear if it does.

Dont throw it away, I like fixing old stuff i even have a thread here about it.

edit pics and model# please
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:09:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I checked the unit and it doesnt hum when on in either visible or IR. Here are pics of the unit....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The switch feels fine...
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:06:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Its not really a hum, if it makes any its a whine. It comes from oscillations as the power changes as it powers up. Not every circuit makes noise, but driver circuits that adjust power normally do like an autogated night vision tube. But it can be outside what we can hear or not make one at all.

knowing electronics a little I would guess either a bad solder joint, or a bad emitter. one is easy to fix the other is not but still not impossible if you can find the right emitter.

Edit, BIG EDIT. Just hope it does not have a potted board, that means its covered in epoxy.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:04:25 PM EDT
[#6]
IDK what class it is, how do i tell? It wasn't advertised as such so i assume it is civilian unit....IDK. How do i tell? Wahy model does this look like?

Also ETA I'm SOL on any work from Steiner, the oldest units they can work on ar 2012 due to no parts being available for older units.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:28:57 AM EDT
[#7]
IM sent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top