Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2020 11:31:36 PM EDT
Does anyone have any time spent with a peq-16 just wondering for scientific purposes. I know the flashlight sucks on them but the laser/illuminator, ergonomics, etc, the same as a peq-15?

These are the answers that I cannot find under all the airsoft cancer.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:37:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Does anyone have any time spent with a peq-16 just wondering for scientific purposes. I know the flashlight sucks on them but the laser/illuminator, ergonomics, etc, the same as a peq-15?

These are the answers that I cannot find under all the airsoft cancer.
View Quote

For a specific use case yes.

First off, light is upgradable. I have a 500 lumen version.

Pretty similar to 15 in function. The downside to the 16 is that there is no option to have a white light override. Aka you can’t use the WL without making sure the knob is in the WL setting.

This was done officially to prevent WL ND’s.

This is a downside on a serious use rifle where getting access to a WL can be pretty damn important. If you need that, it’s just bulkier than a 15 and you still have to add a scout light or whatever.

If it’s not a “don’t die” rifle, they are great. Or if it’s on a secondary rifle. Let’s say if you are carrying a longer range rifle with a CNVD but have a carbine as well. That is my usage.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:08:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nmxdavenn:

For a specific use case yes. 

First off, light is upgradable. I have a 500 lumen version. 

Pretty similar to 15 in function. The downside to the 16 is that there is no option to have a white light override. Aka you can’t use the WL without making sure the knob is in the WL setting. 

This was done officially to prevent WL ND’s. 

This is a downside on a serious use rifle where getting access to a WL can be pretty damn important. If you need that, it’s just bulkier than a 15 and you still have to add a scout light or whatever. 

If it’s not a “don’t die” rifle, they are great. Or if it’s on a secondary rifle. Let’s say if you are carrying a longer range rifle with a CNVD but have a carbine as well. That is my usage.
View Quote

Gotcha see I wouldn’t mind that because I already have a scout light that I prefer anyways, I’d probably end up running the unity TAPS switch.

The important thing for me is that the illuminator/laser is on par with the 15s

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:13:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Idayote:

Gotcha see I wouldn’t mind that because I already have a scout light that I prefer anyways, I’d probably end up running the unity TAPS switch. 

The important thing for me is that the illuminator/laser is on par with the 15s 

View Quote

From my experience yes. I think it’s the same.

The only thing different is the ir laser. It’s slightly less powerful than the 15, but no real difference in use.

It might not be as good for signaling aircraft, but it will get to any range you could ever use it at.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:05:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Sam:
Did you try looking at the specs listed on the TNVC website. It’s a turd of a laser. Also 500 lumens sucks it’s 2020 not 2005
View Quote

according to the specs on your website their pretty much the same

Peq-16

Peq-15

Unless I have the wrong ones?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:17:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I recall my issued unit overheating fairly quickly when the white light was being used.  Caused it to quit working correctly until it cooled off.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:23:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Yea, just to clarify my post here, maybe I was too nice to it.

The 16 is not my first choice by any means. The 15/WL is a much superior option.

But I don’t think the 16 is by any means worthless.

It someone gave me one I wouldn’t throw it in the wood chipper.

The led light on mine doesn’t get too hot. I’ve never used one with the original bulb. I’m sure it sucks.

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#8]
The PEQ-16 is the USMC's attempt to save money on lasers and flashlights by combining both systems into one. And it's terrible, you'll hate it. They're big, heavy, ugly, not ergonomic, and the white light is terrible and because it has a white light and LAM running off a single CR123, the battery life sucks.

Just don't.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#9]
There is a 1k lm drop in upgrade for it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By tlandoe07:
The PEQ-16 is the USMC's attempt to save money on lasers and flashlights by combining both systems into one. And it's terrible, you'll hate it. They're big, heavy, ugly, not ergonomic, and the white light is terrible and because it has a white light and LAM running off a single CR123, the battery life sucks. 

Just don't.
View Quote

The 16 uses 2 batteries
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Did you try looking at the specs listed on the TNVC website. It’s a turd of a laser. Also 500 lumens sucks it’s 2020 not 2005
View Quote

Where the heck are you guys using these lights Sam, it must be on some serious flat ground

Ive been using the 300 series scout lights for years and just bought a 340V last week and they are 250 lumens. More than enough for me.

I have more powerful lights ive tried in the 300-500 lumen range and they are just obnoxiously bright for my tastes. Then again im running around in the woods/mountains so im not looking to light up a 300 yard field either.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:36:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By tlandoe07:
The PEQ-16 is the USMC's attempt to save money on lasers and flashlights by combining both systems into one. And it's terrible, you'll hate it. They're big, heavy, ugly, not ergonomic, and the white light is terrible and because it has a white light and LAM running off a single CR123, the battery life sucks. 

Just don't.
View Quote

Just so we’re all on the same page everyone’s talking about the PEQ-16B correct?

But yes now I see that the battery life is so much worse than the 15 which Is weird because IR wise theyre the same and the 16 does indeed use 2 123s! What the heck?!
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Yes. The other -16 is a Steiner product, stay away from both.

It seems like every time the USMC tries to save a buck,, it ends up being a disaster. the -16B is and always will be a real turd of a unit for a variety of reasons.

View Quote

As always thanks made me really look at the unit and yes all those factors combined make it a hard pass for me!

...So what’s the lead time on those MAWLs
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:52:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Just so we’re all on the same page everyone’s talking about the PEQ-16B correct?

But yes now I see that the battery life is so much worse than the 15 which Is weird because IR wise theyre the same and the 16 does indeed use 2 123s! What the heck?!
View Quote

Yes, thats the one.  Its not ideal. Its basically a peq15 with a shitty white light.  Same laser and ir illuminator power and actually i think the illuminator flood adjustment is easier to use than the peq15.  But its a brick and eats batteries.  Not quite as user friendly as the 15 as the fire button is smaller.  They tend to be in pretty bad condition though because of where they likely came from.

Also something to consider, these were really only used by one entity widespread - the USMC.  If you find them floating around in the commercial market they probably walked away from there.  Keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Just so we’re all on the same page everyone’s talking about the PEQ-16B correct?

But yes now I see that the battery life is so much worse than the 15 which Is weird because IR wise theyre the same and the 16 does indeed use 2 123s! What the heck?!
View Quote

If you use the white light, yes.

Again, there not really turds in my view. If you can get a good deal go for it. But if you are looking at one vs a similar price 15, get the 15. They are not worth paying a premium for.

People have a tendency to really hate products here for some reason. It’s fine for some usages if you can pick it up for a good deal.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:59:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't think they're turds lol.

Having an integrated white light + LAM in one is great for limited rail space. People say it's huge but adding a light is going to add volume and compared to a PEQ-15 + Scout light, you're saving space. I've been playing around with LED upgrades for the 16A and have managed to get to ~800 lumens and realistically, the only time I'm probably going to have white light on is inside a structure.

I also find the selector very easy to flip all the way to Dual VIS on the fly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top