Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2020 10:27:03 PM EDT
So do you guys with night vision pay attention to the moon phase when you go out to play?

I just picked up a moon phase calendar and was impressed with it. I have never really paid much attention to the phases of the moon.

Can you tell an appreciable difference when under NODS given the different phases of the moon? Does it affect your decision making for how much supplemental IR you take along?

Eta: it’s back:)
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:37:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So do you guys with night vision pay attention to the moon phase when you go out to play?

I just picked up a moon phase calendar and was impressed with it. I have never really paid much attention to the phases of the moon.

Can you tell an appreciable difference when under NODS given the different phases of the moon? Does it affect your decision making for how much supplemental IR you take along?

View Quote

The Moon makes a HUGE difference to how well your NV performs. A great website that shows the phases plus the hourly position of the Moon is Moongiant. It’s great for planning outings. The brightness will affect how well your IR works, so yes it can, although I usually bring all the toys anyways.

On mobiles you’ll need to turn your phone sideways to see the hourly position.

Moon Giant
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Lol, you beat me to the draw, i meant to delete and repost this in the more appropriate forum., thanks for the reply and link. I meant to post this in the survival forum since it didn’t seem very technical.

But the link is awesome, very useful site. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Lol.

I’d use the site to plan big outings in advance. I love no Moon nights but depending on what you’re doing sometimes it’s better to have some Moon high in the sky.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TNVC_Augee:
@Kits4

I think this would have probably been one of the more relevant threads in this forum compared to the same six questions that get asked constantly, I would encourage you to bring it back or re-start it. 

~Augee
View Quote

+1

Another thing to add about Moon position. Depending on what you're doing (in my case hiking/navigating terrain BFE) if the Moon is low in the sky and in the direction you are heading, it can seriously interfere with your NV.

The ABC (automatic brightness control) will dim the image and make it difficult to see in the Moon's direction. It could also potentially harm your tube if you're facing the Moon too long in the same position depending on the size/brightness. You'll need a good IR light to better see in the Moon's direction.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd bet almost all new users are shocked/disappointed when they first get their device (no matter the tube/specs) and take it out BFE for the first time on a dark no Moon night, lol.

1/2 Moon high in the sky with light-to-moderate cloud cover is about perfect for messing around IMO.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#8]
First thing I check when we’re scheduling a night shoot is moon phase as well as rise and set.

It doesn’t really change my loadout any, but could have an operations impact depending on what we are doing.

CW FOToo was under full moon last year, and I still couldn’t see the farthest targets. This year it will be dark AF.

ETA: quarter moon or so is my favorite.  It’s dark enough that you really need nods and the critters can’t see you, but there’s plenty of photons bouncing around for NV to scoop up.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:11:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
ETA: quarter moon or so is my favorite.  It's dark enough that you really need nods and the critters can't see you, but there's plenty of photons bouncing around for NV to scoop up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
ETA: quarter moon or so is my favorite.  It's dark enough that you really need nods and the critters can't see you, but there's plenty of photons bouncing around for NV to scoop up.
I would agree with this, anything more and critters seem to have a greatly improved ability to see you

Quoted:I'd bet almost all new users are shocked/disappointed when they first get their device (no matter the tube/specs) and take it out BFE for the first time on a dark no Moon night, lol.

Truth

Most tubes these days look really good under moonlight. Not so much when it goes away
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Its back thanks to contributors. A serious wealth of knowledge in this forum.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:56:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I try to plan around a full moon or near full moon when possible but ultimately, when I've got a chance to go out at night (usually pig hunting) ill go out regardless of moon phase. I was definitely spoiled, though, as the first couple nights I used my 14 it was a full or nearly full moon, the next time I went out it was cloudy with nearly no moon and it was a massive difference. I was expecting that L3 filmless white phos to be something it wasn't. I have an X300V mounted to my helmet that I fire up on really dark nights and it works really well but nothing beats a cool, dry, clear night and about 90% or better moon. Filmless white phos works great in low light but looks absolutely insane under a full moon and clear skies.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:12:27 PM EDT
[#12]
If you are hunting with a lot of moon light perpendicular movement seems to get you in trouble a lot quicker than moving straight towards an animal.  Something to think about when planning a stalk and playing the wind.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:38:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Not only are phases of the moon important, but a variety of other environmental conditions as well.

Temperature, humidity, moisture (rain/fog/snow, etc) can all affect the performance of image intensification devices.

For example, last fall we were running a Nightfighter 101 class.  It was near 0% illum, 40*, raining, little wind, and the conditions were creating an inversion layer at about 6-8ft--smoke from the gunfire was just hanging there.  It was about the worst conditions possible for night vision to work--or not work.

We had students trying to hit large steel targets--we could not see them that well, and were relying on the "splash" from the lasers to let us know that the laser was on steel.

The next day, before the class resumed, we looked at the targets--they were 62m away.  The students felt horrible, but it brought up a great point.  Night vision technology is not the "end all" answer in some conditions.

I have learned that for effective night fighting, more attention to the range of environmental conditions is important.  Now I am not saying that we should all become SOWTs, but understanding the environmental effects on, say image intensification, might lead to use of other technology (such as thermal, etc) and also give you insight to the conditions and tools (and strengths/weaknesses) your opponent may use/face.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:01:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:05:10 AM EDT
[#15]
It's one of those things where before you get night vision you assume the moon is up most of the time. Once you start paying attention you realize the moon isn't up nearly as much as you thought. For whatever reason the vast majority of the time I'm out hog hunting there is no moon. It's going to be a really dark weekend...
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DoubleHaul:
It's one of those things where before you get night vision you assume the moon is up most of the time. Once you start paying attention you realize the moon isn't up nearly as much as you thought. For whatever reason the vast majority of the time I'm out hog hunting there is no moon. It's going to be a really dark weekend...
View Quote

Yeah, i nver really paid much attention to it until recently. One glance at a moon phase calendar will change your view on things.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#17]
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/099112667X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

“The Moon Almanac is an annual companion title for The Moon Calendar (published annually by The Experiment Publishing). Detailed information covers the phases of the Moon, with specific times for every U.S. time zones. Other information includes full moon rise and set times for major U.S. cities, times and dates of lunar apogees and perigees, location on the horizon for full moon rise for major U.S. cities, greatest heigth above the horizon for every full moon, background and guide for spotting the earliest first crescent moons, planets and major stars visible near the moon, times and dates of lunar and solar eclipses, traditional names of the full moons, lunar calendars and holidays, dates for high tides, and additional information. A special feature is "Moon Light in 2020," a chart graphically illustrating the hours of nighttime illumination from the Moon”

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:03:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By will-1:
I'd bet almost all new users are shocked/disappointed when they first get their device (no matter the tube/specs) and take it out BFE for the first time on a dark no Moon night, lol. 

1/2 Moon high in the sky with light-to-moderate cloud cover is about perfect for messing around IMO.
View Quote

For me it was kind of the opposite. Full moon scenarios were less impressive to me at first because it was bright and you could see fine without NODs. When it was no moon and over cast and you could hardly see your hand in front of your face was when I was most impressed. No moon is still my favorite time to go out.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd bet almost all new users are shocked/disappointed when they first get their device (no matter the tube/specs) and take it out BFE for the first time on a dark no Moon night, lol. 

1/2 Moon high in the sky with light-to-moderate cloud cover is about perfect for messing around IMO.
View Quote

I can attest to that. Thought my tubes were the shit using them in my neighborhood (lots of landscaping lights, and close to an a major airport). I then went out about 45 miles to a field and a cloudy night and very little artificial light. I thought my RNVGs were broken. Nope.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:22:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#22]
100% agree with getting used to the dark unaided. Not just NV but don't use vis light either. It's good practice in different lighting conditions.

Something to try (which is fun as hell IMO) is to have one person (or persons) unaided and the other using NV. Start from a distance away and under NV see how close you can get to them and/or within observation view under without getting busted. Usually if you get busted it'll be from noise and they'll get your approximate position. If they start using white light to find you then you'll need to move which may get you more busted. It's better to move when they're moving to mask your noise. It's a fun game. Obviously it's a lot harder in certain terrain. Practicing noise discipline/walking as quietly as possible is important. To do it right you have to move painfully slow. This is where a single -14 has an advantage because it can be pretty magical IMO once you dial in the right gain level to match your unaided eye for the ambient lighting conditions. You can see the ground/obstacles better. For me, the gain usually had to be pretty low.

Another thing I like to do is split between nods up and down. I have a circular road a little over 1 mile on my property I walk the dog on at night. Sometimes I'll start off nods up (TBH mainly to enjoy the stars lol) and about 1/2 way go nods down. When your eyes are acclimated to the dark you can see surprisingly better than most people probably think and it's nice friendly reminder how awesome your NV is when you go nods down.  

No Moon nights are my favorite also. I like it spooky dark, lol.    

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I thank God for all those guys that taught us back in the day- old skewl SF Vietnam vets that knew how to patrol and operate at night without tech.

View Quote
I hit basic in 92 and still remember being surprised at how much you could do at night with a rifle and a touch of moonlight. No tech at all
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#24]
100% agree with getting used to the dark unaided. Not just NV but don't use vis light either. It's good practice in different lighting conditions.

Something to try (which is fun as hell IMO) is to have one person (or persons) unaided and the other using NV. Start from a distance away and under NV see how close you can get to them and/or within observation view under without getting busted. Usually if you get busted it'll be from noise and they'll get your approximate position. If they start using white light to find you then you'll need to move which may get you more busted. It's better to move when they're moving to mask your noise. It's a fun game. Obviously it's a lot harder in certain terrain. Practicing noise discipline/walking as quietly as possible is important. To do it right you have to move painfully slow. This is where a single -14 has an advantage because it can be pretty magical IMO once you dial in the right gain level to match your unaided eye for the ambient lighting conditions. You can see the ground/obstacles better. For me, the gain usually had to be pretty low. 

Another thing I like to do is split between nods up and down. I have a circular road a little over 1 mile on my property I walk the dog on at night. Sometimes I'll start off nods up (TBH mainly to enjoy the stars lol) and about 1/2 way go nods down. When your eyes are acclimated to the dark you can see surprisingly better than most people probably think and it's nice friendly reminder how awesome your NV is when you go nods down.   

No Moon nights are my favorite also. I like it spooky dark, lol.    

View Quote

We do that quite a bit. It’s really fun to see how close you can get.

Sometimes we will have goals to achieve while staying undirected and someone searching with WL.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:01:29 PM EDT
[#25]
This is the one my wife picked on amazon and lets me hang in the kitchen.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:18:08 PM EDT
[#26]
There are also apps like “the moon” that are easy to use
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Kits4:
This is the one my wife picked on amazon and lets me hang in the kitchen.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/462616/6C12DEE9-6CCC-4480-B518-271B09FF5173_jpe-1424992.JPG
View Quote

I'm so confused. You have posted two charts purporting to show the same thing, yet they show completely different things.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By Kits4:
This is the one my wife picked on amazon and lets me hang in the kitchen.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/462616/6C12DEE9-6CCC-4480-B518-271B09FF5173_jpe-1424992.JPG

I'm so confused. You have posted two charts purporting to show the same thing, yet they show completely different things.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/462616/6C12DEE9-6CCC-4480-B518-271B09FF5173_jpe-1424992.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/462616/74ABC8D0-EE45-48A4-8D5E-0D85FC1F8D48_jpe-1424789.JPG

Where do I imply any relationship between these images? you have joined together two pictures from two separate posts. I ordered some black trimmed ones for the shop, and a smaller one with girl colors for the kitchen. Each post stands alone.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:59:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Ahh, I see. Sorry for the snappy reply @ThisWildAdventure.

I’m not sure why they are different, i hadn't noticed. The black one have not been delivered, so when they get here tomorrow I will be able to compare them.

I wonder if this is a stock photo for advertising that does not necessarily have updated info from year to year? Or possible intentional inaccurate info in the advertisement to prevent people from printing it? I dunno. I will post pics comparing them tomorrow when they arrive.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The moon phase data being shown on the two charts is almost exactly opposite, yet both claim to be 2020 moon charts.
View Quote

Yes. Only one can be right.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Attachment Attached File

So this is what arrived. It looks right to me. Not sure what is up with the pic from amazon.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 4:51:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#36]

Yep, that’s the one.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#37]
My go to site for planning is: MoonCalc

Surprised no one has mentioned this one yet. Google Maps interface to find the exact position you want information on. All data on moon rise, culmination, set, phase, etc. You can also put in the height of an object and it will give show you the length of the shadow. Slide across the top enables you to change the time and see how the moon position changes.

Using the following URL update with your target decimal Lat/Long saved as a favorite always takes me to the data for the current date/time at my hunting lease: mooncalc.org /#/LAT,LONG,15/null/null/2/1.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/462616/60E3BF39-07A0-4CDD-90E7-E09CD7E6E802_jpe-1427933.JPG

So this is what arrived. It looks right to me. Not sure what is up with the pic from amazon.
View Quote

That looks more like it. Dark as hell on July 15-18th
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top