Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/14/2020 12:17:09 AM EDT
I want to get into night vision. Use will be hunting, using at the cabin where there is no electricity, occasional night shoots, but mostly the comfort of knowing I have that tool in the box.

I've talked to a couple guys that have told me to bypass 7s and go straight to 14s. I don't want to run a single monocle, so cost jumps quite a bit at this point. I have no problem spending extra coin if necessary, but as an area I have very little knowledge of, my train of thought was start with 7s, confirm addiction, upgrade.

What are your guys thoughts on PVS 7s for entry purchase? Make sense or is the addiction guaranteed so just buy once and cry once?
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:32:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
my train of thought was start with 7s, confirm addiction, upgrade.
View Quote

This is called the denial phase.

If you find a dirt cheap price on a PVS 7 that's one thing, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one.

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:36:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tikiman001:

This is called the denial phase.

If you find a dirt cheap price on a PVS 7 that's one thing, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one.

View Quote

IMO you are just that much closer to a 14 which is mo betta for reasons
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:45:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I recently jumped into NV. Here's how it worked for me.

Bought a Gen2+ M703E to play around with.  Loved it, wanted more.
Threw together parts for a Omni VII (Gen 3) PVS7. Loved it, wanted more.
Now trying to purchase what I initially wanted.

Granted NV also bleeds over into astronomy which is another hobby of mine, but if astronomy was out of the picture I would have really preferred to jump right into something more flexible than a PVS7. As mentioned a used PVS14 should be a relatively low risk way to try out NV that can be utilized more in line with your use case....At least NV seems to hold it's value pretty well (unless you damage it somehow or make a bad purchase) if you decide to sell and buy up or just decide NV just isn't for you.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 1:14:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn’t get one as a starter.

I’d rather get a used PVS-14 for under $2000.

My reasoning: When using the 7, both eyes are occupied. No way around it. Also, a 14 can fit behind an optic.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:06:14 AM EDT
[#5]
There was a Envis in the EE a few weeks ago. Nostalgia maybe but that’s what got me where I am today
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:29:53 AM EDT
[#6]
depends on what you want to do with them - i like the pvs7 , i have a set in the car to grab and walk around with etc. or even drive with , nicer to look thru with both eyes but not as verstile , 14's are more compact to carry and could fit on rear of scope to shoot with and lighter on headmount - get both
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:31:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I’ll take a 7 over a single 14 anyway except if I plan on passive shooting.  I hate only having one eye in NV.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:51:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I’m poor so I bought a pvs7 on the EE. No regrets so far.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 7:29:11 AM EDT
[#9]
It's not that the -7 is a waste, but, the tech has gone so far beyond it.  Because both eyes are viewing through one tube, you don't get the same affect as binos with separate tubes.  You might as well get a -14 because with some time, and keeping the gain down, both eyes will "blend" what you're seeing through the single tube anyways.  And as an added bonus, you still have pretty good situational awareness up close, especially if you roll the eye cup back and have a little stand-off.  So just getting into it, I would get a -14, J-arm, mount, shroud, and helmet set-up, along with a LAM (Laser Aiming Module) for my rifle, which is gonna be close to what you'd pay for binos alone.  

Now I'm not gonna tell ya you won't want binos at some point down the road, but unless you're ready to drop 10G+ into it right now, I'd say -14's make a lot of sense.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 7:33:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I started with a PVS7 and I wouldn’t be upset about having to go back for whatever reason. I like the 14 better, but I really enjoyed having two aided eyes. A nice Omni VII PVS7 can be bad for ~1500 and will perform better than most 14s you find under $2000
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I want to get into night vision. Use will be hunting, using at the cabin where there is no electricity, occasional night shoots, but mostly the comfort of knowing I have that tool in the box.

I've talked to a couple guys that have told me to bypass 7s and go straight to 14s. I don't want to run a single monocle, so cost jumps quite a bit at this point. I have no problem spending extra coin if necessary, but as an area I have very little knowledge of, my train of thought was start with 7s, confirm addiction, upgrade.

What are your guys thoughts on PVS 7s for entry purchase? Make sense or is the addiction guaranteed so just buy once and cry once?
View Quote

Your rationale is solid but a 14 will still do more for you even if you decide to go to a dual tube setup in the future.  7s are good for what they are and the ones I owned were all great units, but there is not a single situation where I would take a 7 over a 14.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:11:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I didn't start with a 7 but I did start with a single 14, then dual 14s, then binos. I already suspected my addiction would be confirmed but I wanted to work my way through the options and learn on the way. I am glad I did, but if I wanted the most efficient path for myself I should have just bought binos to start with, however you don't know what you don't know and it takes time and experience to dial in what you really need

Dual 14s are heavy and take a lot of getting used to. I did it for many months and while at first my neck hated me, later it thanked me. I wear a ballistic helmet now because freedom, and it feels as light as a bump thanks to my roided out neck

If you think you really want duals at some point then I'd lean on saying just go binos from the start, or start with a 7 to get your feet wet and then when you're ready go binos and skip the dual 14s altogether

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I really like having one dark adapted eye. Bothers some people. Bothers others even more. I have limited stereoscopic depth perception much beyond arm's reach so a mono, true binos, or a biocular like a -7 are all a wash in that regard. Passive shooting behind a red dot with a -7 is not practical/realistic. The -7 has a more retro look that some people want. Performance wise, an Omni 7 PVS-7 will almost always be cheaper than an Omni 7 PVS-14. See how you'd relate these same scenarios and make your decision accordingly.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I will be the odd one out. I say go for it. I currently use a 7 while coyote hunting. Im not using it for running and gunning or kicking doors down. I use it while walking in and setting up and occasionally use it to drive blacked out. I also use it to scan along with an Amazon special T20 illuminator. I have no complaints, may not be what all the cool kids are wearing but I like them. One of the main reasons I went with a 7 over a 14 is my brain likes both eyes being splashed with the NV. I tried a buddies 14 one night and came away saying “Meh, Ill keep my 7 or go duals someday”.

*** edited to correct typo ***
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I had -14s and a -7. my friend could not get used to the 14 over one eye, he likes the -7. Now I have binos and the -7 he still likes the -7.

They can be had for cheap enough that it makes great sense for a starter night vision, possible primary if you like it. And yet cheap enough to not need to sell if decide to go -14 or bino and keep it for a loaner.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:07:08 AM EDT
[#17]
There's nothing wrong with PVS-7 at all.
Same with PVS-5.

They have all the magic they ever did and put you way ahead of someone without. Add an IR flashlight, and you are WAY ahead.

My first 2 sets were PVS-5. Couple years ago I had them professionally serviced and gave them to our sons. They get a lot of use by the boys and their kids still.

No..they aren't as good as modern Gen 3 gear, but the new stuff costs 10 or 20 times more for mono or binocular versions.
For comparison, you will see a car just fine at 50 feet with Gen 2 or 3. With Gen2 you will see the license plate and the car's model badges, but probably not be able to read them. Gen 3 will read them.
I paid about $400 for each of mine in the '80s and they are worth about the same now.

Of course, a white search light, and regular optics to match magnification, is better than ANY NV system, new OR old, (except thermal, which has other advantages and disadvantages). But the right white light ALWAYS is better for good human vision, unless you need or desire to avoid using white light. That's a fact.

You will never hear ME disparage any  US night vision device type. Not even the oldest electrostatic models. They all can deliver an image with invisible, IR illumination, and most can amplify available light many, many times over and produce good results with no added illumination at all. That is a significant and useful thing.

Now you have my opinion.

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:22:04 AM EDT
[#18]
More night vision is better than less night vision. Going down the slippery slope like the rest of us is a rite of passage. Get your pvs-7, upgrade to a 14, buy a few more 14s, then get binos. Im sure this pathway will sound familiar to more than a few here.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Sam:
Gross
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:49:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Gross
View Quote
Damned fine sales pitch! Are you able to tell how much time I spend looking at the RNVG page???
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#21]
A 7 is so close in price to a 14 that it’s not worth considering IMO.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 1:20:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Feeble-Prize:
There's nothing wrong with PVS-7 at all.
Same with PVS-5.

They have all the magic they ever did and put you way ahead of someone without. Add an IR flashlight, and you are WAY ahead.

My first 2 sets were PVS-5. Couple years ago I had them professionally serviced and gave them to our sons. They get a lot of use by the boys and their kids still. 

No..they aren't as good as modern Gen 3 gear, but the new stuff costs 10 or 20 times more for mono or binocular versions.
For comparison, you will see a car just fine at 50 feet with Gen 2 or 3. With Gen2 you will see the license plate and the car's model badges, but probably not be able to read them. Gen 3 will read them.
I paid about $400 for each of mine in the '80s and they are worth about the same now.

Of course, a white search light, and regular optics to match magnification, is better than ANY NV system, new OR old, (except thermal, which has other advantages and disadvantages). But the right white light ALWAYS is better for good human vision, unless you need or desire to avoid using white light. That's a fact.

You will never hear ME disparage any  US night vision device type. Not even the oldest electrostatic models. They all can deliver an image with invisible, IR illumination, and most can amplify available light many, many times over and produce good results with no added illumination at all. That is a significant and useful thing.

Now you have my opinion.

View Quote

This was pretty much what I was going to type out. I have used everything from PVS-5s to 7s, 14s and now RNVGs. I had a set of 5s up until a few years ago and now regret selling them. I had a single 14 and immediately built another one for duals. I got so used to using binos that a single 14 was a downgrade. I say get the 7 and get used to using them. You'll eventually get true duals anyway. At least with the cheaper 7s, you'll learn and most likely make mistakes. Would your rather make a mistake with a cheaper 7 than wreck your expensive binos?

Get the 7, train hard, save up for the binos. Later on down the road, you can either keep the 7 or resell it to offset the cost.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By JohnConnor:
A 7 is so close in price to a 14 that it’s not worth considering IMO.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 2:07:15 PM EDT
[#25]
OP, you're going to get some pretty convoluted feedback here, so make sure that whatever decision you come to, you thoroughly analyze your current needs and budget, both current and future. I don't disagree with anyone on this thread- to those who say not to go with a PVS-7, I totally get why. Same goes for those who recommend them. It all comes down to what will be useful to suit your needs and budget. From what you say in the OP, it sounds like you're not really planning on putting many hours on them, so who knows. Maybe the 7s are good for you.

PVS-7s are dated in their ergonomics more than their actual technology. They are the same Gen3 (usually) tech that's still used today, and in fact there do exist some fantastic MX10130 tubes out there. The limitations surrounding the PVS-7 are the mounting interface, the serviceability, the weight distribution, and to some users, the "flat image".

PVS-7 Cons:
- Non-stereoscopic biocular image: can cause some users to experience difficulty when using these devices during movement. I don't personally experience this issue, but enough people do for it to warrant consideration.
- Service: the nature of a non-inverted tube require more complex optics and the use of a biocular design also requires the use of a beam splitter. This means more internal parts that are comparably fragile to most designs, and can require periodic adjustment or replacement. This isn't the end of the world, but since these goggles are being phased out, you can expect parts to become more scarce over time.
- Durability: PVS-7s aren't what I would consider fragile, but the molded-in bayonet mount is a weak point in the design, and if you break it, you have to replace the entire wired housing. Refer back to the previous point on parts.
- Ergonomics: they don't call them "nose breakers" or "PVS-7D(ickheads)" for no reason. They're floppy, can be awkward, they only work with bayonet style interfaces so you're stuck using a crappy Rhino mount in most cases. They have short eye relief and small eyepieces, and even with demist shields, they can fog up fairly easily.
- Don't even think about trying passive aiming with one.
- You don't maintain a dark-adapted eye, but that's just something guys with PVS-14s go around saying to justify not having binos.
-They're kinda huge for what they are, significantly larger than a PVS-14 obviously, but also larger than most binos. Not very easily portable.

PVS-7 Pros:
- You can get them for pretty cheap, and if you do decide to sell them later on, you probably won't have to take a loss.
- If you're into astronomy, they are actually preferred due to the vast aftermarket of C-mount adapters and such that make them great for use with telescope
- They are, even today, popular within the military for drivers (in units where binoculars aren't available).  
- The tube performance that you can get, if it matters do you, is probably a lot higher per dollar than most PVS-14s in a similar price range.

As some have said, they're still better than no night vision at all, and some of the cons are subjective. If you can find a really clean PVS-7 with Omni VI or better tube, for $1500 or less, I would snag it. I personally am not of the opinion to save up for months or even years for the gucci bino set and forego buying a cheap starter NVG. This is because night vision is such a game-changing capability  that even "shitty" ones like PVS-7s will allow you to see pretty damn well in the dark and do a lot of things the regular folk can't do. So you can buy the PVS-7 and use it while you continue to save for something better. Once you have your funds together, sell the PVS-7 and buy whatever else it is you wanted.

With all these things having been said, if you do have the funds handy for a good PVS-14, I would suggest skipping the PVS-7. Only for guys in uniquely limited budgetary circumstances would I normally recommend jumping on the 7s.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I sold my pvs14 and kept my pvs7. Eventually I'll get duals, but for the frequency I use them, it will be a while.

The pvs7 will stay as a loaner/backup for friends or the wife. People with little to no experience on NV seem to take to the 7 over the 14 for obvious reasons, so it makes more sense as a loaner.

The tube in my 7 was better than the 14 tube, which was part of my decision. I used the 14 in the army, and I've driven and hiked and run around with them quite a bit (and searched for hours on a mountainside in the early morning hours looking for someone's, etc).

But the 7 is more enjoyable to use for me, despite all the logical reasons why a 14 is better.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:13:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I pieced together a 7 for $750.... That's why I have a 7. Also my eyes don't do the one aided one not aided very well. I say go for the -7.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:41:36 PM EDT
[#28]
I've used both a PVS-14, and a -7, and my starting NOD is a -7.

I hate having a non aided eye, so the -7 is my stand in until I get a set of duals.

I like it quite a bit.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Assuming you buy it right it's not a waste of money.  Key point is buying it right.  You will be able to sell it later for what you have in it.  It's a good way to dip your toes in the nv game for cheap.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:27:02 PM EDT
[#30]
A good used Omni VII can be found as low as 900 and can be later sold for @ the same price or more. The PVS7 is in service with LEO and militaries around the world including ours. The 7 is very capable and effective piece of kit and most users find it easier to move, navigate, and drive with vs a 14. I ran a 7 in a shoot early this year and while I hear the "you're not going to actually run those" chuckle, the comments stopped after my first run. I own monos, 7, and bino and each has their strengths and weaknesses.

Best for the money with/a modern Omni VII tube: 7

Ease to use for driving: binos, 7, 14

Easiest to learn on: binos, 7, 14

Most utility/multi role/SHTF: 14

Best battery life: 14, 7, binos

Can you use an RDS and aim passively with a 7 on a pistol "yes" on a rifle "no"

A 7 can easily use a dovetail arm with an adapter from Wilcox that will cost you 35.00. Should you break your horn off, you can fit a Wilcox dovetail onto the upper housing without too much effort.

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If you ultimately want RNVG's save for them, otherwise youre wasting funds that could be put towards something like that, all youre doing is kicking a can down the road and dumping cash out while you do it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damned fine sales pitch! Are you able to tell how much time I spend looking at the RNVG page???

If you ultimately want RNVG's save for them, otherwise youre wasting funds that could be put towards something like that, all youre doing is kicking a can down the road and dumping cash out while you do it.

I really like the sound of the RNVGs and it isn't so much saving for them as it is making a very substantial purchase with no experience in the world of NV. I also do not have access to any to try.

After reading the comments so far I feel like I am most likely going to end up with both in rapid succession, RNVGs for me, PVS7 for wife/loner.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:40:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Assuming you buy it right it's not a waste of money.  Key point is buying it right.  You will be able to sell it later for what you have in it.  It's a good way to dip your toes in the nv game for cheap.
View Quote
Pretty much where my mind is at. If you happen to see a right deal you're not jumping on, let me know!
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:46:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Best tube I've ever had was in a PVS-7.  I actually prefer them over PVS-14.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 12:50:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By MunnyShot:
A good used Omni VII can be found as low as 900 and can be later sold for @ the same price or more. The PVS7 is in service with LEO and militaries around the world including ours. The 7 is very capable and effective piece of kit and most users find it easier to move, navigate, and drive with vs a 14. I ran a 7 in a shoot early this year and while I hear the "you're not going to actually run those" chuckle, the comments stopped after my first run. I own monos, 7, and bino and each has their strengths and weaknesses.

Best for the money with/a modern Omni VII tube: 7

Ease to use for driving: binos, 7, 14

Easiest to learn on: binos, 7, 14

Most utility/multi role/SHTF: 14

Best battery life: 14, 7, binos

Can you use an RDS and aim passively with a 7 on a pistol "yes" on a rifle "no"

A 7 can easily use a dovetail arm with an adapter from Wilcox that will cost you 35.00. Should you break your horn off, you can fit a Wilcox dovetail onto the upper housing without too much effort.

View Quote

All this.  First used a 7 and 14 at Ft Belvoir years ago.  Preferred the 7 back then and hadn’t touched either in years.  I kept saying one day... I’ll get a 7.  Kept lurking on forums that gave me doubt, but I remembered the headaches I got with a 14 back in the day.  Finally tried a WP 14 a few weekends and no headaches.  Try both if you can if you’re ready to go.  You’ll have an opinion.  If you have to wait you never know what’ll happen.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 5:09:12 AM EDT
[#35]
as others have said, I would get a 7 (if the price is right)
and later use it with a 3x or 5x as a binocular/spotter.
in that role the lack of 3D-vision and the smaller oculars
are non-issues and having both eyes open while scanning
at distance is a big plus.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:08:01 AM EDT
[#36]
I own a -7 as well as a -14, both with Omni 7 GP tubes. My -7 actually has a slightly nicer tube, but has shit in the lenses that I need to clean out, so optical quality is a wash-but good on both.

My wife prefers the 7, although the 14 is hers, and grabs the 7 first when we head out for a hike.

For the difference in money paid between the two, hands down the value is in the 7.

I use the 7 pushed pretty far forward to the edge of its eye relief, with no eye cups, and can easily move and keep my depth perception  or look under the lenses in bright areas.
The only real advantages the 14 has for me is the lighter weight, and ease of passive aiming.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 4:35:41 PM EDT
[#37]
So where does one go to find a PVS-7 with Omni VI or better tube for $1500?

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Voland:
So where does one go to find a PVS-7 with Omni VI or better tube for $1500?

View Quote

Ebay has new PVS7 kits minus tubes for 799 and Derek Brown had NOS Omni VII tubes for 800
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ebay has new PVS7 kits minus tubes for 799 and Derek Brown had NOS Omni VII tubes for 800
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So where does one go to find a PVS-7 with Omni VI or better tube for $1500?

Derek Brown? Didn't come up for me in a search.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By WarthogA5:
Derek Brown? Didn't come up for me in a search.
View Quote

He had several he sold on the EE.  They come up from time to time.

Omni VII tubes
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Every single time I put on a PVS7, I ended up faceplanting something fierce after tripping over something completely minor due to the lack of depth perception.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:06:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By TheRat:
Every single time I put on a PVS7, I ended up faceplanting something fierce after tripping over something completely minor due to the lack of depth perception.
View Quote

I and several others that I let try NV for the first time never had that problem. The only depth perception is only on near focus with a 14 being the worst and 7s and binos being much better. Closest the way I can explain it is to me binos/7s give you a 1.25X and a 14 2-2.25X magnification when looking through a LPVO scope that claim a true 1X to what your eyes see on a near focus.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 2:36:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By slowplay:

He had several he sold on the EE.  They come up from time to time.

Omni VII tubes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WarthogA5:
Derek Brown? Didn't come up for me in a search.

Omni VII tubes

Yeah, I bought a tube from him. I don't recall the spec, but it's good shit, and he's a good guy.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:33:56 AM EDT
[#44]
I am working on another PVS-7 that I may consider letting go of. I'm really trying to keep a couple on the shelf as a back up to my RNVGs. That hasn't exactly worked out lately. I've sold off 3 sets in the last couple of months.

I've used 7s and other systems
over the years and I'll always recommend them to people new to night vision since it is easier for them to use initially. Once they learn the limitations of night vision and get some good training under them, once they move up to true binos, then they are a force to be reckoned with.

I've bought quite a few of the 10130 tubes from @DerekBrownHKW and his merchandise is top of the line. You cannot go wrong purchasing from him.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Every single time I put on a PVS7, I ended up faceplanting something fierce after tripping over something completely minor due to the lack of depth perception.
View Quote

@TheRat was your PVS7s set to an infinity focus? Just asking since with a 7, 14 or bino you have to set it to one or the other leaving your far or near slightly blurry. Set to far with any NOD and looking down could have lead to you "face planting".
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By MunnyShot:

@TheRat was your PVS7s set to an infinity focus? Just asking since with a 7, 14 or bino you have to set it to one or the other leaving your far or near slightly blurry. Set to far with any NOD and looking down could have lead to you "face planting".
View Quote

Honestly don't remember, it was like 15 years ago when I was a young dumb grunt. All I remember is repeatedly faceplanting when doing any kind of movement more than half a mile or so, with the clown car mental music going in the background. Never had that issue after I got issued a PVS-14. Still haven't after I bought my own from TNVC years later.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#47]

Omni VII tubes
View Quote

Damn... So you could build yourself a new high-grade bino for under $4K. If I could only find a vendor that sells a BNVD chassis.

I hear Night Vision Depot charges something like $2800 if you send tubes to them.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By PFran42:

Damn... So you could build yourself a new high-grade bino for under $4K. If I could only find a vendor that sells a BNVD chassis. 

I hear Night Vision Depot charges something like $2800 if you send tubes to them.
View Quote

Wrong tubes, Derek has pvs-7 tubes.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#49]

Damn... So you could build yourself a new high-grade bino for under $4K. If I could only find a vendor that sells a BNVD chassis. 

I hear Night Vision Depot charges something like $2800 if you send tubes to them.
View All Quotes

You could build a set of binos for under 4k, but not with PVS7 MX10130 tubes. IIRC I do remember an old thread where someone bought a BNVD housing from NVD, but that was a few years back.

Honestly don't remember, it was like 15 years ago when I was a young dumb grunt. All I remember is repeatedly faceplanting when doing any kind of movement more than half a mile or so, with the clown car mental music going in the background. Never had that issue after I got issued a PVS-14. Still haven't after I bought my own from TNVC years later.

LOL you probably haven't gotten your NOD Legs yet. I started with a PVS7 also, then moved to a 14 and I thought it was great to have one eye unaided in urban lights with the ability to read different lighting. Then reality set in when we where in a dark canyon with little to no moon/star light. That was an oh shit moment when I whish I had the 7s because it was more natural with both eyes aided.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#50]
I started with a milspec 14 from TNVC, used it for years, I appreciated the size, weight, and the versatility of the unit, however for any extended viewing I would get headaches, and while I could deal with it, was never fully satisfied. So I sold the 14 eventually, and picked up an Omni vii Pvs-7. After using the Pvs-7’s, I much preferred them to the 14, and sure you don’t have one eye dark adapted, and all that jazz, but you do have a unit you can use all night comfortably. My only gripe with the 7’s is the eye relief, as well as the size of the viewing window is too small for my liking, so I eventually upgraded to duals, and obviously prefer them over everything. It have I had to choose between a 14 and a 7 with equal tubes, I’m taking the 7 all day. Good luck
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top