Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 5/11/2020 10:47:29 PM EDT
Since I have two very similar spec'd tubes, I wanted to throw up some comparison pictures. I'm using an iPhone 11 Pro Max - so they won't be the highest quality photos, but they do capture a decent portrayal of the differences between the tube. Especially against the white wall, the color is nearly dead on. I threw both tubes on a Mod Armory LW bridge and took each picture back to back (by hand) so excuse any imperfections with the photo taking. That being said, it's clear the filmless tube is absolutely superior here. Hopefully this helps some of you decide where to spend your money or if it's worth it to throw more money at a filmless tube or not. If I didn't have them to compare back to back, I'd probably be more than happy with the Elbit.

Tube 1 - Elbit XLSH (Night Vision Guys)

Resolution - 76lp/mm
SNR - 35.5
FOM - 2698
Halo - 0.71
EBI - 1.92 (only spec that I wasn't impressed with)
Gain - 69,341
Photocathode Sensitivity - 2,375

This tube is extremely clean. No blems to speak of.

Tube 2 - L3 Filmless WP (1701) (N-Vision Optics Zone 3 Blem)

Resolution - 72 lp/mm
SNR - 37.9
FOM - 2728
Halo - 0.7
EBI - 0.9
Gain - 63,036
Photocathode Sensitivity - 2,675

This tube is decently clean with a zone 3 blem and notable fixed pattern noise.

Here are a few shots of what I'll be looking at during the daytime. The large barn is 83 yards from my porch. The far tree line is 273 yards.

Now we'll get to it. Of the images, the first image will be the Elbit and it will be followed by the L3.

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Great write up and pics/vids ??

It’s very “clear” in these that filmless is not just hype even against a high spec thin filmed tube.

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:23:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By will-1:
Great write up and pics/vids ??

It’s very “clear” in these that filmless is not just hype even against a high spec thin filmed tube. 

View Quote

Yep I agree. I was really wondering how one of the high spec thin films would hold up - but I’m glad I had the L3 to compare to.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:27:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Both look very nice and I'm sure you're happy with either for the price you paid. I would be lol
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:31:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I wonder how much of that difference is the ebi vs the film. Probably both.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:31:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Great write up and pics/vids ??

It’s very “clear” in these that filmless is not just hype even against a high spec thin filmed tube. 

View Quote

I’m not so sure I agree based on these however once you take cost into account I’d say they’re at least too close to call.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:33:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By westernhaikus1:

I’m not so sure I agree based on these however once you take cost into account I’d say they’re at least too close to call.
View Quote

Ironically these cost me the exact same amount. Right at $3350 each
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:43:54 PM EDT
[#8]
The differences is darkness of trees in the distance is what stands out to me when I'm comparing things, like photonis vs L3uf. Pretty clear in your photos which is which in those areas. Otherwise tough to spot other things right now in the pictures. That FPN would bug me though - dunno why it seems to be so acceptable in the L3 tubes :(
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:49:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By jwramp:
The differences is darkness of trees in the distance is what stands out to me when I'm comparing things, like photonis vs L3uf. Pretty clear in your photos which is which in those areas. Otherwise tough to spot other things right now in the pictures. That FPN would bug me though - dunno why it seems to be so acceptable in the L3 tubes :(
View Quote

It would bug me too. Hopefully mine doesn’t have it when it comes in.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:49:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By jwramp:
The differences is darkness of trees in the distance is what stands out to me when I'm comparing things, like photonis vs L3uf. Pretty clear in your photos which is which in those areas. Otherwise tough to spot other things right now in the pictures. That FPN would bug me though - dunno why it seems to be so acceptable in the L3 tubes :(
View Quote

Yeah FPN plus a blem vs a clean tube that is slightly noisier. Tough call. Considering OP paid the same for each then it’s a toss up to me, end of the day congrats OP you got two awesome tubes!
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:57:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice comparison. Thanks for doing this. Both excellent tubes. The filmless definitely is sharper. Would you say the FPN is very noticeable in actual use?
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:51:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow, interesting.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 1:50:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Great comparison.

This is actually making me think that I got a really good deal on my Omni VII. I know the view is better with a naked eye but I now have experience with using a high end smartphone (Pixel 3 XL in my case) with a tube, so I sort of understand the translation.

My takeaway is that you’re not going to experience an OMFG epiphany, if you are coming from a very good OMNi VII and I’m not sure I agree with the value proposition of paying 2x the price to go up that last 5-7%.

Of course this is all coming A’la keyboard commando so take anything I say with a large grain of salt.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 6:48:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#15]
awesome photos!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Having looked through enough tubes and taken pics/vids trying to match the image to my eye, I feel I have a good idea of what I'm looking at. They are the same differences I've seen with my own eyes with gen 3 thin filmed tube and Photonis Echos. From these pics/vids and others I've seen online, the higher specs don't perform the same as filmless. I don't know Synyster06Gates but from what I gather he's an end user and not a reseller or industry guy. Which I hope he is because every comparison I've seen so far of Elbit thin filmed higher spec WP vs L3Harris filmless WP has not been done by a regular end user. An end user's comparison & opinion holds more weight in my eyes.      

I'm not taking a dump on the higher spec Elbit XLSH tubes (they look like very nice tubes) but the performance is obviously not the same. If that matters to you. It's the details, such as in the 3rd set of pics with the fencing in background, 4th set behind the propane tank, and 5th set the detail of the T posts & background. These differences might not matter to some but if you want the highest performance you can get it's obvious which one to choose. People make a big deal about the red glow from IR sources, passive shooting, and the seriousness of using NV, etc. for tactical advantage, etc. This isn't any different and I'd argue is even more critical because it affects how well you see in the dark to do all of those things.

ETA: Ruling out the higher EBI, the closer shots with the truck and small tree (with a light source nearby) you can clearly see the difference.  

Just to clarify, I have zero interest (financial or personal) as to which tube is better.

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 8:16:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Sam:
Do you mind taking some photos in low Light conditions to see the difference?
View Quote
Gladly. I’ll get some indoors in a closet with no light this morning.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 8:25:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Sam:

No do an outside shot with some distance, closet shots never do it justice.
View Quote

I'll see what I can do tonight, but I'll post some of these up in the mean time. It's supposed to rain tonight, but if I get a chance I'll go out and turn the barn light off as well as the garage light off. We're far enough away from everyone that we don't get much in the way of light pollution where I live. We're on 90 acres, but most of it is open so I can't get much in the way of wooded areas.

I find that videos are a lot more telling when comparing these tubes because a still really doesn't capture how much noise is/isn't there.

Here's a simple shot (control with IR first) in a room that has zero light coming in aside from what's coming through the curtains of the bedroom on a cloudy morning then coming under the closet door. I couldn't see my hand 6'' from my face.

Elbit first, followed by L3 then a video of each. L3 is clearly producing a brighter image with less noise.

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 8:53:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Having looked through enough tubes and taken pics/vids trying to match the image to my eye, I feel I have a good idea of what I'm looking at. They are the same differences I've seen with my own eyes with gen 3 thin filmed tube and Photonis Echos. From these pics/vids and others I've seen online, the higher specs don't perform the same as filmless. I don't know Synyster06Gates but from what I gather he's an end user and not a reseller or industry guy. Which I hope he is because every comparison I've seen so far of Elbit thin filmed higher spec WP vs L3Harris filmless WP has not been done by a regular end user. An end user's comparison & opinion holds more weight in my eyes.      

I'm not taking a dump on the higher spec Elbit XLSH tubes (they look like very nice tubes) but the performance is obviously not the same. If that matters to you. It's the details, such as in the 3rd set of pics with the fencing in background, 4th set behind the propane tank, and last set the detail of the T posts & background. These differences might not matter to some but if you want the highest performance you can get it's obvious which one to choose. People make a big deal about the red glow from IR sources, passive shooting, and the seriousness of using NV, etc. for tactical advantage, etc. This isn't any different and I'd argue is even more critical because it affects how well you see in the dark to do all of those things. 

Just to clarify, I have zero interest (financial or personal) as to which tube is better. 

View Quote

That is correct. I'm just a regular dude. I have no credentials. I'm not military, law enforcement, or someone who relies on these to save or take lives.

I've been around NV since October and I've already gone through an Omni VII PVS-7, two PVS-14s with L3s exportable 10160 tubes, two Omni VIII PVS14s I ran as duals, a 57 res 35 SNR filmless WP, and now these two. I've looked through a good number of tubes and just wanted to see for myself how thin filmed vs unfilmed do when their specs are similar. They're both awesome tubes IMO, there's just a clear difference. if I didn't have the L3 on hand, I'd probably be in love with the thin filmed. I'm going to end up selling or returning the Elbit though, so I'm trying to knock this comparison out before it goes away.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:06:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Synyster06Gates:

That is correct. I'm just a regular dude. I have no credentials. I'm not military, law enforcement, or someone who relies on these to save or take lives. 

I've been around NV since October and I've already gone through an Omni VII PVS-7, two PVS-14s with L3s exportable 10160 tubes, two Omni VIII PVS14s I ran as duals, a 57 res 35 SNR filmless WP, and now these two. I've looked through a good number of tubes and just wanted to see for myself how thin filmed vs filmed do when their specs are similar. They're both awesome tubes IMO, there's just a clear difference. if I didn't have the L3 on hand, I'd probably be in love with the thin filmed. I'm going to end up selling or returning the Elbit though, so I'm trying to knock this comparison out before it goes away.  
View Quote

That's what i figured

Good stuff - NV fever! lol
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#22]

I'll see what I can do tonight, but I'll post some of these up in the mean time. It's supposed to rain tonight, but if I get a chance I'll go out and turn the barn light off as well as the garage light off. We're far enough away from everyone that we don't get much in the way of light pollution where I live. We're on 90 acres, but most of it is open so I can't get much in the way of wooded areas. 

I find that videos are a lot more telling when comparing these tubes because a still really doesn't capture how much noise is/isn't there. 

Here's a simple shot (control with IR first) in a room that has zero light coming in aside from what's coming through the curtains of the bedroom on a cloudy morning then coming under the closet door. I couldn't see my hand 6'' from my face. 

Elbit first, followed by L3 then a video of each. L3 is clearly producing a brighter image with less noise.

https://i.imgur.com/wwj4219.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0fWXnlC.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/503RLdn.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/8yt4pTf.jpg
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v31R4qQiJks
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbxAP8Ex_Zw
View Quote

Best indoor test scenario yet.

If truly viewed with 99.95% absence of light w/ no IR, the filmless L3 kicks the snot out of my OMNI VII. Be honest though, if you spent 10 minutes in the closet acclimating to the darkness, would you still not be able to see your hand 6 inches from your face?
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:33:58 AM EDT
[#23]

That is correct. I'm just a regular dude. I have no credentials. I'm not military, law enforcement, or someone who relies on these to save or take lives. 

I've been around NV since October and I've already gone through an Omni VII PVS-7, two PVS-14s with L3s exportable 10160 tubes, two Omni VIII PVS14s I ran as duals, a 57 res 35 SNR filmless WP, and now these two. I've looked through a good number of tubes and just wanted to see for myself how thin filmed vs unfilmed do when their specs are similar. They're both awesome tubes IMO, there's just a clear difference. if I didn't have the L3 on hand, I'd probably be in love with the thin filmed. I'm going to end up selling or returning the Elbit though, so I'm trying to knock this comparison out before it goes away.  
View Quote

Given your experience... In the same lack of light conditions as the two "label" videos, and using a scale of 1-100 (with the filmless L3 being given a score of 100), what numbers would you assign the OMNI VII and OMNI VIII?

0 = I literally can't see ANYTHING
100 = I can see as well as the filmless L3 will allow

Hope that makes sense. I've got a number in my head and I want to see how far off I am.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By PFran42:

Best test indoor test scenario yet. 

If truly viewed with 99.95% absence of light w/ no IR, the filmless L3 kicks the snot out of my OMNI VII. Be honest though, if you spent 10 minutes in the closet acclimating to the darkness, would you still not be able to see your hand 6 inches from your face?
View Quote

100%. I actually went in again for a couple minutes with a box to block ANY light from entering the room. It was dark enough that I couldn't get a usable picture through either tube. After spending maybe 5 minutes in the room with the box, I could only see a faint line of light at the bottom of the door. But even then I couldn't make out anything, including my hand directly in front of my eyes. Using a 3 second exposure on the iphone and ISO cranked, I couldn't pick anything up on camera, either.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:44:06 AM EDT
[#25]
That is correct. I'm just a regular dude. I have no credentials. I'm not military, law enforcement, or someone who relies on these to save or take lives
View Quote

Reminds me of how most people think that all cops are firearms experts. You don’t need any of that, and this post proves it. Nice job!
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#26]

Given your experience... In the same lack of light conditions as the two "label" videos, and using a scale of 1-100 (with the filmless L3 being given a score of 100), what numbers would you assign the OMNI VII and OMNI VIII? 

0 = I literally can't see ANYTHING
100 = I can see as well as the filmless L3 will allow

Hope that makes sense. I've got a number in my head and I want to see how far off I am.
View Quote

I'd say the Omni VII tube was probably close to a 55-60. I could make out faint shapes, but definitely no positive identification. I'd say that the elbit is 80-85, so it's still a significant improvement over the Omni VII/VIII. The SNR is really what I think helps, the Omni tubes I had made a lot more noise that distorted the image.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#27]

100%. I actually went in again for a couple minutes with a box to block ANY light from entering the room. It was dark enough that I couldn't get a usable picture through either tube. After spending maybe 5 minutes in the room with the box, I could only see a faint line of light at the bottom of the door. But even then I couldn't make out anything, including my hand directly in front of my eyes. Using a 3 second exposure on the iphone and ISO cranked, I couldn't pick anything up on camera, either.
View Quote

Awesome! Thanks for the ultra-detailed answer. You're providing me with some very good data (that will no doubt end up benefiting JRH in the near future).
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#28]

I'd say the Omni VII tube was probably close to a 55-60. I could make out faint shapes, but definitely no positive identification. I'd say that the elbit is 80-85, so it's still a significant improvement over the Omni VII/VIII. The SNR is really what I think helps, the Omni tubes I had made a lot more noise that distorted the image.
View Quote

Again... Thanks for "painting the picture". This thread delivers!
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#29]

Again... Thanks for "painting the picture". This thread delivers!
View Quote

To add, the number I had in my head for the OMNI VII was a 92. I was also thinking that the Elbit would come in at 96. I was way off.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#30]

To add, the number I had in my head for the OMNI VII was a 92. I was also thinking that the Elbit would come in at 96. I was way off.
View Quote

yeah, the Elbit may be a little bit higher than I rated it, but the my Omni tubes were both minimum spec, and the VIIIs were pretty bad. Noisy and poor performers in low light.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:08:09 AM EDT
[#31]
For comparison sake, here was my min spec Omni VIII next to a 57 lp/mm 35 SNR filmless L3. Even the relatively lower FOM filmless was leaps and bounds better (1995 L3 vs the Elbit Omni VIII at 1600). the difference is obvious here.

ETA - here is a link, I don't want to confuse people with the pics here

Omvi VIII vs low(ish) spec filmless WP
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Just tried to replicate your test with what I believe is an OMNI VII PVS-14.

Room had all lights off, shutters drawn and curtains closed. Pics taken in closet with pillow placed along bottom edge of closet door. I could see a very faint line of vertical light when looking at closet door but I could not see my hand 6 inches in front of my face. If I passed my hand between my eyes and the vertical faint white line, I could detect movement.

Control pic:

Attachment Attached File

Test pic:

Attachment Attached File

My testing is inconclusive b/c I have a feeling my phone is contributing to some "light pollution" while the pic is being taken.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:40:20 AM EDT
[#33]
For the same price id go with filmless every time.  The thin film tubes only make sense when there is a price differential.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Just tried to replicate your test with what I believe is an OMNI VII PVS-14. 

Room had all lights off, shutters drawn and curtains closed. Pics taken in closet with pillow placed along bottom edge of closet door. I could see a very faint line of vertical line of light when looking at closet door but I could not see my hand 6 inches in front of my face. If I passed my hand between my eyes and the vertical faint white line, I could detect movement.

Control pic:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/IMG_20200512_110555_control_jpg-1412503.JPG

Test pic:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/MVIMG_20200512_111226_Test_jpg-1412504.JPG

My testing is inconclusive b/c I have a feeling my phone is contributing to some "light pollution" while the pic is being taken.
View Quote

That actually looks very good. Too bad I can't test it in the exact same conditions I did mine in! I did notice that as my watch screen would come on, I'd get the same "extra light" so I would have to wait between pics occasionally. With the phone I didn't really notice it much since most of the camera screen was black
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By texassooner:
For the same price id go with filmless every time.  The thin film tubes only make sense when there is a price differential.
View Quote

To be fair, the only reason I got the L3 with these specs for that price was I waited and they're marked as large zone 3 blems. Apparently N-Vision isn't doing that any more, so you basically get what you get which kinda sucks because resolution ranges from 57-72 on those. The salesman I worked with before is no longer there and the guy yesterday straight up said place an order, we'll get to it when we get to it and we don't let you hand select any more.

Some people also can't stand the blems on the side or the FPN. I actually don't mind it TOO much. I gotta say having an extremely clean screen is very nice - and there's ZERO noise on startup

Oh well, I'm sticking with the filmless and through the Elbit up on the EE. They're both awesome tubes, but I gotta stick with the L3.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:07:34 PM EDT
[#36]

To be fair, the only reason I got the L3 with these specs for that price was I waited and they're marked as large zone 3 blems. Apparently N-Vision isn't doing that any more, so you basically get what you get which kinda sucks because resolution ranges from 57-72 on those. The salesman I worked with before is no longer there and the guy yesterday straight up said place an order, we'll get to it when we get to it and we don't let you hand select any more. 

Some people also can't stand the blems on the side or the FPN. I actually don't mind it TOO much. I gotta say having an extremely clean screen is very nice - and there's ZERO noise on startup

Oh well, I'm sticking with the filmless and through the Elbit up on the EE. They're both awesome tubes, but I gotta stick with the L3.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By texassooner:
For the same price id go with filmless every time.  The thin film tubes only make sense when there is a price differential.

To be fair, the only reason I got the L3 with these specs for that price was I waited and they're marked as large zone 3 blems. Apparently N-Vision isn't doing that any more, so you basically get what you get which kinda sucks because resolution ranges from 57-72 on those. The salesman I worked with before is no longer there and the guy yesterday straight up said place an order, we'll get to it when we get to it and we don't let you hand select any more. 

Some people also can't stand the blems on the side or the FPN. I actually don't mind it TOO much. I gotta say having an extremely clean screen is very nice - and there's ZERO noise on startup

Oh well, I'm sticking with the filmless and through the Elbit up on the EE. They're both awesome tubes, but I gotta stick with the L3.

The Pvs14 with the elbit tube, does it have the questionable uncoated glass?

ETA: and is it the same glass that’s in the unfilmed pvs?  I don’t think it would make a huge difference but it’s pertinent information IMHO
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Unfortunately, there's only so much you can do to show what these look like and the differences between them. If you question what people have to say (nothing wrong with that!), well then the only way you can really know for yourself is to see it with your own eyes.

The best way to do it (if you can) is like Synyster06Gates did by having both at the same time for a thorough side by side. Looking through someone else's device may work but IMO it's better to be able to spend the time comparing at your discretion. Especially in multiple lighting conditions because ambient lighting makes a huge difference. The pics/vids would look vastly different with a decent Moon overhead.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#38]
If I had to chose 1 of the OPs tubes, it would be the filmless, even with the blem and FPN, the difference in performance in low light and the shadows is significant.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:19:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Unfortunately, there's only so much you can do to show what these look like and the differences between them. If you question what people have to say (nothing wrong with that!), well then the only way you can really know for yourself is to see it with your own eyes.

The best way to do it (if you can) is like Synyster06Gates did by having both at the same time for a thorough side by side. Looking through someone else's device may work but IMO it's better to be able to spend the time comparing at your discretion. Especially in multiple lighting conditions because ambient lighting makes a huge difference. The pics/vids would look vastly different with a decent Moon overhead.
View All Quotes
Unfortunately, there's only so much you can do to show what these look like and the differences between them. If you question what people have to say (nothing wrong with that!), well then the only way you can really know for yourself is to see it with your own eyes.

The best way to do it (if you can) is like Synyster06Gates did by having both at the same time for a thorough side by side. Looking through someone else's device may work but IMO it's better to be able to spend the time comparing at your discretion. Especially in multiple lighting conditions because ambient lighting makes a huge difference. The pics/vids would look vastly different with a decent Moon overhead.

Exactly. I got lucky and got to do this with no moon/heavy overcast. I’ll attempt more tonight focusing more on distance and I’ll see what I can capture down my half mile driveway. Depending on where the cows are, I could get some of them too.

Originally Posted By Honda4828:

The Pvs14 with the elbit tube, does it have the questionable uncoated glass? 

ETA: and is it the same glass that’s in the unfilmed pvs? 

I honestly don’t know. It looks like it, but I don’t have any of the edge distortion or cosmetic defects that were mentioned in that thread. It also feels like glass rather than plastic as he mentioned. No flashing marks either. The diopter is also set correctly.

The unfilmed tube has what I would consider “normal” mil spec and appears to have the normal coatings
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

I couldn’t care less about a zone 2/3 spot or two like you have.  In use they disappear and they are cheaper.  Clean tubes are important to some people but not me.  That filmless tube you have looks good.

The 2 biggest things I noticed when comparing in person was in low light the thin film had more scintillation than the filmless even though the snr was pretty much the same, and the filmless would allow you to pick up more detail in shadows.  The difference wasn’t as drastic as your pictures but I’m suspecting that has something to do with the ebi on your thin film tube as the thin film tube I was comparing with was +-.5 ebi.  

IMO some things don’t translate from paper to actual use and the whole thin filmed vs filmless is one of those things.  All specs equal, filmless is going to give you better detail in low light.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#41]

Apparently N-Vision isn't doing that any more, so you basically get what you get which kinda sucks because resolution ranges from 57-72 on those. The salesman I worked with before is no longer there and the guy yesterday straight up said place an order, we'll get to it when we get to it and we don't let you hand select any more. 
View Quote

Dang, that sucks, they're like everybody else now. Well, it was good while it lasted and I know some of us scored pretty good being able to hand select their own.

Thanks for passing that info along.    

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Not knocking anyone in particular (and certainly not OP) but I think where a lot of people fail when doing these comparisons is that they post pics of trees/bushes/etc.. Knowing the shallow depth of focus for these devices, we're seemingly always left with a somewhat blurry representation of what the tube offers. Trees/bushes are phenomenal for showing how deep a tube can pierce into shadows but I would really like to see images of man-made objects that we instantly recognize and have a good frame of reference for how the same object would look in a smartphone pic.

It would be cool if everyone had a standardized PDF of the USAF tri-bar resolution chart saved off on the computers and the norm was to post a pic of your NV device at something like 10 ft.

just spitballin'

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#43]

Exactly. I got lucky and got to do this with no moon/heavy overcast. I’ll attempt more tonight focusing more on distance and I’ll see what I can capture down my half mile driveway. Depending on where the cows are, I could get some of them too. 

I honestly don’t know. It looks like it, but I don’t have any of the edge distortion or cosmetic defects that were mentioned in that thread. It also feels like glass rather than plastic as he mentioned. No flashing marks either. The diopter is also set correctly. 

The unfilmed tube has what I would consider “normal” mil spec and appears to have the normal coatings
View All Quotes

Exactly. I got lucky and got to do this with no moon/heavy overcast. I’ll attempt more tonight focusing more on distance and I’ll see what I can capture down my half mile driveway. Depending on where the cows are, I could get some of them too. 

The Pvs14 with the elbit tube, does it have the questionable uncoated glass? 

ETA: and is it the same glass that’s in the unfilmed pvs? 

I honestly don’t know. It looks like it, but I don’t have any of the edge distortion or cosmetic defects that were mentioned in that thread. It also feels like glass rather than plastic as he mentioned. No flashing marks either. The diopter is also set correctly. 

The unfilmed tube has what I would consider “normal” mil spec and appears to have the normal coatings

Just to be clear the glass is visibly different when comparing the two correct. Meaning the 14 with the elbit tube shows either a much different or no coating when compared to the filmless 14?

Also I much appreciate the comparison. For those of us who cannot purchase tubes just to compare with other tubes this is nice. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:52:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Just to be clear the glass is visibly different when comparing the two correct. Meaning the 14 with the elbit tube shows either a much different or no coating when compared to the filmless 14? 

Also I much appreciate the comparison. For those of us who cannot purchase tubes just to compare with other tubes this is nice. Thanks! 
View Quote

Correct as seen here - to be fair there is a hint of blue suggesting some coating, but it looks different from the filmless unit on the left

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:54:31 PM EDT
[#45]

Correct as seen here - to be fair there is a hint of blue suggesting some coating, but it looks different from the filmless unit on the left 

https://i.imgur.com/6UUUTBa.jpg
View All Quotes

Just to be clear the glass is visibly different when comparing the two correct. Meaning the 14 with the elbit tube shows either a much different or no coating when compared to the filmless 14? 

Also I much appreciate the comparison. For those of us who cannot purchase tubes just to compare with other tubes this is nice. Thanks! 

Correct as seen here - to be fair there is a hint of blue suggesting some coating, but it looks different from the filmless unit on the left 

https://i.imgur.com/6UUUTBa.jpg

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Not knocking anyone in particular (and certainly not OP) but I think where a lot of people fail when doing these comparisons is that they post pics of trees/bushes/etc.. Knowing the shallow depth of focus for these devices, we're seemingly always left with a somewhat blurry representation of what the tube offers. Trees/bushes are phenomenal for showing how deep a tube can pierce into shadows but I would really like to see images of man-made objects that we instantly recognize and have a good frame of reference for how the same object would look in a smartphone pic. 

It would be cool if everyone had a standardized PDF of the USAF tri-bar resolution chart saved off on the computers and the norm was to post a pic of your NV device at something like 10 ft. 

just spitballin'

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/Q_RANGER__5-12-2020_12_31_27_PM_png-1412555.JPG
View Quote

I don't think a res chart would be the best for comparison. People can better relate to objects in real world environments with foregrounds/backgrounds/etc. You make a good point about trees/bushes/etc. versus man made objects.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#47]

I don't think a res chart would be the best for comparison. People can better relate to objects in real world environments with foregrounds/backgrounds/etc. You make a good point about trees/bushes/etc. versus man made objects.
View Quote

I'll see what I can get for yall tonight!
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:30:26 PM EDT
[#48]
So I went out and grabbed some more pics. Some down my driveway which about 1/4 mile is visible, the rest is over the hill top, some more just out in the fields, some cattle, and some man made objects, as well as one close up of a tree. Again, hope this helps some of you who are trying to decide which tubes to get. There was less light from "artificial" sources, but more starlight. No visible moon, though.

Here is where it was the darkest. @TNVC here are a few distance shots.

Some man made objects

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:02:46 AM EDT
[#49]

I don't think a res chart would be the best for comparison. People can better relate to objects in real world environments with foregrounds/backgrounds/etc. You make a good point about trees/bushes/etc. versus man made objects.
View Quote

Are you NightWalker? If so, I’ve learned a good deal from your videos.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:06:51 AM EDT
[#50]
So I went out and grabbed some more pics. Some down my driveway which about 1/4 mile is visible, the rest is over the hill top, some more just out in the fields, some cattle, and some man made objects, as well as one close up of a tree. Again, hope this helps some of you who are trying to decide which tubes to get. There was less light from "artificial" sources, but more starlight. No visible moon, though. 

https://i.imgur.com/Ova3luJ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Qja6C59.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/tvoCwJY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/aWofYLq.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/TlPCqNR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cRGTH7D.jpg

Here is where it was the darkest. @TNVC here are a few distance shots. 

https://i.imgur.com/pfBNEs3.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/XqSgMYF.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/mIDexyO.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/vsnFwJw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/iaDjWYi.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/pjeYSD9.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Je9guBd.jpg

Some man made objects

https://i.imgur.com/QXjs1x9.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/jHZi1IU.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/XtUN2Cw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/GHJqM2A.jpg

View Quote

Excellent photo shoot! Filmless almost looks 3D in a couple of those pics.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top