Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2020 5:17:50 PM EDT
I really never thought I would end up with an anvis goggle with how rough I am on stuff, but the tubes are just outstanding.

How paranoid do I need to be? Are these really that frail?

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I really never thought I would end up with an anvis goggle with how rough I am on stuff, but the tubes are just outstanding.

https://i.ibb.co/tmw5ZjP/065-CEF0-E-C2-BD-4-B3-A-8-F11-E2-F55-B1-DF2-F5.jpg
View Quote

Awesome, I think you'll love the goggle for how light and simple it is. They aren't super fragile. Treat them like you would being the expensive investment it is. Just be more careful with handling them to not drop em and be more mindful/slower when entering/exiting vehicles, etc. anything with the potential to slam them against something. Keep them on a lanyard or better yet use bungees with small carabiners. I prefer the bungees w/ carabiners because if it pops out of the mount it'll stay tight on the helmet.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By will-1:

Awesome, I think you'll love the goggle for how light and simple it is. They aren't super fragile. Treat them like you would being the expensive investment it is. Just be more careful with handling them to not drop em and be more mindful/slower when entering/exiting vehicles, etc. anything with the potential to slam them against something. Keep them on a lanyard or better yet use bungees with small carabiners. I prefer the bungees w/ carabiners because if it pops out of the mount it'll stay tight on the helmet.
View Quote

Thanks.

Yea that’s my main problem. I’m pretty harsh on stuff. I will just have to re train myself I guess.

I think the weight difference will be a huge plus for me. Plus the tubes are just amazing.

Would you mind posting a pic of your retention setup?
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#3]
They flop around a bit, but they're fine for skulking where you're not constantly running into low-hanging branches and bushes. I wouldn't jog with them or take any Nightfighter courses with them.

GREAT for observation, stargazing, navigation, or walking about.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks.

Yea that's my main problem. I'm pretty harsh on stuff. I will just have to re train myself I guess.

I think the weight difference will be a huge plus for me. Plus the tubes are just amazing.

Would you mind posting a pic of your retention setup?
View Quote

The light weight and ball detent on/off is awesome

Here's some pics. I got the SF carabiners and titanium 10mm rings on amazon. Safety wired the shock cord together and heat shrinked it.

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BiffBlendon:
They flop around a bit, but they're fine for skulking where you're not constantly running into low-hanging branches and bushes. I wouldn't jog with them or take any Nightfighter courses with them.

GREAT for observation, stargazing, navigation, or walking about.
View Quote

Well these will get run around pretty hard with.

I’m thinking I will just run as is until I break them and then swap them in a tougher housing.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#6]

The light weight and ball detent on/off is awesome

Here's some pics. I got the SF carabiners and titanium 10mm rings on amazon. Safety wired the shock cord together and heat shrinked it. 

https://i.ibb.co/3z9TzFy/D746129-A-BB65-4318-B3-AE-E06803-DA5084.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/qphVVYg/3-DA97753-BCC7-4907-BAE5-2-ECE1177-ED47.jpg

View Quote

Awesome, thank you!
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:24:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve seen them break, but that was using them way outside of their design envelope.like Will said, treat them like they’re expensive and you’ll be fine. I don’t bang my RNVGs around either
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:59:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://i.ibb.co/tmw5ZjP/065-CEF0-E-C2-BD-4-B3-A-8-F11-E2-F55-B1-DF2-F5.jpg
View Quote

Nice! What kind of tubes do you have in there? Can we gets pics please :-)
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By tlandoe07:
I’ve seen them break, but that was using them way outside of their design envelope.like Will said, treat them like they’re expensive and you’ll be fine. I don’t bang my RNVGs around either
View Quote

I’ll try!
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:04:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By sheepdog697:

Nice! What kind of tubes do you have in there? Can we gets pics please :-)
View Quote

Already in for the night but I will shoot some tomorrow night.

Have to say I’m pretty amazed with the tubes/glass. One of the cleanest, high spec tubes I have looked through. Also really low halo affect with minor lights.

No gain was a bit weird because I’m used to running low gain, but that’s a minor gripe.

Also after running a 14/breach for a while the weight difference is fantastic.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#11]
One more question:

What are you running for objective covers?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:19:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By nmxdavenn:
One more question:

What are you running for objective covers?
View Quote

I use the red ones and only put them on when I'm done using them. That's the awesome thing about the Anvis-9 and ball detent goggles (such as the Sentinel as long as there is no battery inside the goggle). There is zero risk of leaving it on by accident when it is in the stowed position or removed from the mount.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Augee:
@nmxdavenn

ANVIS are certainly nowhere near as rugged as dedicated goggles designed for ground applications, but they’re not made of glass. 

They’ve been being used in ground applications for years, however, yes, they broke more often, but it’s not like they break every time you take them out and are a little rough with them, they can survive rough use in many cases, what breaks them is accidents—dropping them, diving enthusiastically through a threshold/window/into a vehicle, etc., is what breaks them. Things that will probably happen, eventually on a long enough timeline, but things that you would normally try to avoid doing even if you had dedicated ground goggles. 

But you could use them for many years without issue without babying them, too. 

I wouldn’t change the way you use them—except perhaps for being more cautious about using them for prolonged periods of heavy rain—and even so, as I’ve explained before, while they’re not rated for submersion, they do have some water resistance, again, just not as much as ground goggles. 

If and when you do break them, there are alternative housing options you can swap them over to fairly easily. I would just use them as normal until then. 

~Augee
View Quote

Awesome, thanks for the tips.

Yea I think I’m just paranoid. I do think I will break them at some point, but I will just run them until then and try and be careful.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:46:59 PM EDT
[#16]

I use the red ones and only put them on when I'm done using them. That's the awesome thing about the Anvis-9 and ball detent goggles (such as the Sentinel as long as there is no battery inside the goggle). There is zero risk of leaving it on by accident when it is in the stowed position or removed from the mount.
View Quote

Yea, took me a bit to get used to, but I think I like that feature. So much faster.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 4:59:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By nmxdavenn:

Also really low halo affect with minor lights. 

View Quote

This could be the optics at play more so than the tubes. Anvis lenses filter about half the light in the visible spectrum which cuts down on halo dramatically depending on the light source (since for some wavelengths, the spec only allows like 1% of that light to be transmitted). But is also completely eliminates all sorts of lights.

<665nm is what gets filtered out. So, red/orange, yellow, green and blue
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By tlandoe07:

This could be the optics at play more so than the tubes. Anvis lenses filter about half the light in the visible spectrum which cuts down on halo dramatically depending on the light source (since for some wavelengths, the spec only allows like 1% of that light to be transmitted). But is also completely eliminates all sorts of lights. 

<665nm is what gets filtered out. So, red/orange, yellow, green and blue
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/460535/F7190666-0103-4ABF-BA7F-DA9B6B4E069F_jpe-1404994.JPG
View Quote

Agreed and the Anvis' ability to dial in a sharper focus certainly helps. I forgot about the 720nm filters used for similar reasons (don't hear about them much anymore).
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Good info, thanks for sharing.

I sent them off to tnvc to get put into rnvg housings.

I’m already having withdrawals.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top