Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 5/1/2020 3:13:34 PM EDT
Need a second opinion on some glass I just got from a respected vendor.

The eyepieces on the left are confirmed genuine mil spec eyepieces. The ones on the right arrived in a plastic ziplock bag with no markings and are of obviously inferior quality.
Attachment Attached File

I think I got duped into paying retail for Chinese glass. What do you guys think? The vendor I got them from insists they’re genuine and use them on all of their products.
Attachment Attached File

I’m waiting on them to get back to me. I’m going to give them a chance to redeem themselves before blasting them on here if they don’t exchange these for the glass I paid for vender issued RMA labels.

ETA: vendor agreed to swap them out for Carson, but I have to pay to ship them back. Not a total loss, not a win either though.[s]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Define reputable. Those look like shit.

When it comes to night vision I don't think a good deal is usually a good deal.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 3:31:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TNVC:
This subject matter came up here several year ago when a vendor on Ebay got caught doing this and Dino and well respected member was the victim.  How does the actual image look edge to edge?
View Quote

Vic,

Haven’t even bothered putting them on a complete build. They’re so shitty looking from ten feet away I’m not going to go to the trouble of assembling them just to remove them.

The vendor got back to me and offered to replace them with some carsons.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Greenspan:
Define reputable. Those look like shit.

When it comes to night vision I don't think a good deal is usually a good deal.
View Quote

Reputable as in probably one of the top 3 vendors on the web, and also a site sponsor here

And these weren’t a good deal, they were retail price
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#5]
What else looks inferior about them other than the color of the plastic being off? My PVS-14 mil-spec build definitely looks like the grey plastic on the left. But the dark, shiny plastic on the right looks identical to the objective lens plastic. I would imagine that different part producers could have slight variances in the mil-spec parts? Are there any other telltale signs of inferior quality - are the fakes a lot lighter, have molding marks, or other telltale signs?

I would try to get an image comparison of them in use to confirm inferior quality. What do you have to lose other than a few minutes of your time? It would greatly help the community spot fakes/forgeries in the future!
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By tlandoe07:

Reputable as in probably one of the top 3 vendors on the web, and also a site sponsor here

And these weren’t a good deal, they were retail price
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Greenspan:
Define reputable. Those look like shit.

When it comes to night vision I don't think a good deal is usually a good deal.

Reputable as in probably one of the top 3 vendors on the web, and also a site sponsor here

And these weren’t a good deal, they were retail price

Id probably just tell them I want a refund and not do business with them again
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Here’s a picture of this mystery glass compared to a genuine mil spec ocular (mil spec pictured on the right).

The diopter focus is not properly set:
Attachment Attached File

Below are both of the pieces of mystery glass I received. They are both set at the maximum counter-clockwise diopter rotation. On mil spec glass this would be +2 diopter. Neither of these are even close to the same between units. One reads -2, the other is >+2.
Attachment Attached File

If I set them both to zero diopter, they look like this:
Attachment Attached File

Below are the lens cells. Mystery on left, mil spec on the right. Mil spec is marked with cage code and part numbers and is made from machined aluminum. The ones I got today are plastic and have no markings other than this sticker. Attachment Attached File

Hard to make out in this picture, but the mil spec lens cell on the right has a purplish tint due to the lens coatings. The one on the left has no tint. Also not the construction- a spanner ring holds the lens in on the mystery glass.

Attachment Attached File

Vendor uses the mil spec part# (A3256352), so my assumption would be that for $270, I’m getting mil spec glass no?
Attachment Attached File

The cosmetic differences are difficult to make out in the pictures but are immediately apparent in person. The snap rings on the mystery glass are painted, whereas mil spec glass has an ion-bonded coating. The plastic on the mystery glass is cheesy like a cheap toy. Reminded me of Jeremy Clarksons description of Porsche plastic “like boiled sweets”.

ETA: the lens cells are not cross-compatible between them mil spec diopter ring assemblies and the mystery lens cells and vice versa. Therefore, conclusively not mil-spec.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#10]
So process of elimination....
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#11]
redacted

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:30:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Ouch really?
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:34:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By KPog:
Ouch really?
View Quote

Yes really. I was gonna give them a chance to be a bro and unfuck themselves but then they told me it’s normal mil spec glass and I can exchange it but I’d have to ship it back on my own dime

I emailed them demanding a shipping label. That’s some bullshit
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:39:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought/have the same ones. I always assumed they were L3 because of the orange o-ring but need to take a closer look.

Mine were clocked improperly as well and had to time it so that it zero'd out properly.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:42:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for letting us know and posting the comparison photos! Always good for referencing to confirm you have mil-spec parts. Really crappy that they are asking you to pay even a dime more for THEIR mistake.

My take is that its either intentional deception or incompetence on their behalf. A company that handles probably hundreds of these parts in the span of a month would probably know the difference, no?
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:51:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Fuck them dude that is some sub par dog shit
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:52:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Took a photo through them. There is a very distinct fisheye Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:09:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Interesting. Good to hear both sides.

Hope everyone can come to an amicable solution.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:32:29 PM EDT
[#20]
@UNV I apologize if I came off as inflammatory. That was not the intent, but I was also quite irritated to be on the phone with your customer service department twice today only to be told to pay to ship it back if I’m not satisfied.

I am aware of how to set a diopter. My point being every true mil spec ocular I’ve seen, going back years, has a consistent diopter setting out of the box. These are all over the place. The fact that the lens cell isn’t compatible between lenses tells me that it can’t be Mil spec because they would HAVE to be interchangeable.

Again, I don’t mean to be a jerk and I’m sorry if I took it to an inappropriate level, but the quality was very sub par on these and not like anything else I’ve ever seen. And I may not handle as much glass as you guys by a long shot, but I do see enough to know what right looks like and this wasn’t up to my expectations.

I’m happy to review and revise my comments if it turns out I’m wrong. Thank you for reaching out, and from here on I’ll address this with you over PM.

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:39:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I have seen these very optics before. I believe they come from Israel, not China. They have a slightly less appealing “glossy” material I suppose, but in my experience their image quality was no different than other glass. Just my experience.

ETA - looks like not what I have seen afterall since these are coming from Singapore
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:41:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:55:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By UNV:

Thanks for redacting. 

There is no requirement for subcomponents of the eyepiece to be interchangeable between manufacturers, except for the eyecup retaining ring which it is on these 2 eyepieces. 

There is also to requirement for subcomponents of battery housings or objectives to be interchangeable because those are not field serviceable. You would just replace the entire eyepiece, objective, or battery housing. 
View Quote

I’m not here to be “that customer” but I manage a maintenance organization for the DoD that also maintains night vision systems and we strip down and replace individual components of eyepiece assemblies all the time. Sure, they’re not field serviceable, but they are serviceable at the DS level. Very common for an end-user to crack a diopter ring and instead of spending $250 of taxpayer money, we spent $5 and salvage the other parts that still work fine.  
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:16:21 AM EDT
[#24]
In here on two accords.

Firstly to vouch for tlandoe7, I can confirm his said stated credentials personally as valid. He does in fact manage an organization within the DoD specifically in this realm. He knows what he is stating factually.

Secondly, I have also received an order directly from the distributor (Not UNV) of these very lenses, having handled literal thousands of Mil-Spec glass in nearly two decades in a professional and personal setting, these do not meet any of the quality standards a true Mil-Spec Ocular or Objective displays.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 7:54:04 AM EDT
[#25]
The diopters on my Mod-3s are also 'jacked up'.  Full counterclockwise is pretty much zero (clearest setting when using prescription contacts or glasses), and the numbers don't correspond to the dot.  I posted here and pretty much everyone said "that's normal, nothing you can really do about it".
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 8:21:46 AM EDT
[#26]
I've also done quite a bit of back and forth with Ted. He is a knowledgable guy, and I can relate with the frustration.

I have never handled these lenses before, but if they are not interchangeable with other commonly used "mil spec" lenses, I would want to know that up front, as well. Every other mil spec lens cell I have used has been interchangeable and introducing something different into a fleet of managed products makes for a maintenance nightmare.

Most users or buyers would never notice this type of stuff, so while it unfortunately involves a site sponsor, it is nice to still see this type of information in the tech forum.

I have to ask: Are these the same lenses being sold by AGM Global? I checked out Apache Industries website and they are not only based out of the same city as AGM Global, but they also sell lower cost NV made and sold by AGM Global, which seems to be a spinoff of the FLIR/Armasight sale started by an old Armasight exec who also seems to have ties back to Nyvisys, as well.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#27]
So does UNV have some rear optics for sale open box?

Mine are all scratched up
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#28]
These lenses are made by Avi Ayalon (original developer/partner for Avimo . . . Now Qioptiq) for Apache Industries.  They are the same lenses that qualified for DLA/Defense Logistics Agency by Nivisys before they were purchased by Relativity Capital. They meet the requirements of A3256352 and are 100% MIL SPEC. They are not Chinese, they are not fake, and they are not any lower quality than Qioptiq(Carson) glass. I would challenge anyone to compare the image through these lens with any MIL SPEC glass and tell a difference. You cannot. The only difference is they have a little bit more of a glossy appearance on the plastic dipoter adjustment, an orange 0-ring, and they are in stock so you can get your lenses quickly. If Qioptiq glass was on the shelf we would have sent you that instead. They are equal in quality and price. 

You clock the diopter by moving the indicator ring, it's not a static setting from the factory. This ensures there is no way the diopter setting can be "jacked up" because you can put the white dot anywhere on the circumference of the eyepiece. That is how every PVS-14 eyepiece is so that you can set 0 on a device because different devices have different 0 settings. 

You were correct to think that we are a reputable company, and always have been. You are incorrect to think that we would ever try to be dishonest with a customer. Never have, never will. That is how we run our business. Our typical procedure in this situation if you were unhappy is to mail you a replacement with a sticker return label in the box. I know that we offered to exchange them, but I think we dropped the ball on that and I am sorry if that is not how it was presented. At any rate - accusing someone of selling counterfeit product is a very serious accusation. People know that they will be taken care up properly when they buy from us, and we never have and never will sell counterfeit product.  Fortunately one of our many good customers sent this to us so we can defend ourselves. I understand if you feel like you got jipped, but your ordered MIL SPEC eyepieces 4/29 and we had MIL SPEC eyepieces on your doorstep 5/1. Are these accusations really necessary? They look a little glossier than you were expecting, I get that and the offer still stands to ship you a Qioptiq pair if you like.   

View Quote

Very respectable and professional response unlike some that break out in a rant.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#29]
hmmm. Interesting. Makes me wonder about my glass.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By chosos:
I have to ask: Are these the same lenses being sold by AGM Global? I checked out Apache Industries website and they are not only based out of the same city as AGM Global, but they also sell lower cost NV made and sold by AGM Global, which seems to be a spinoff of the FLIR/Armasight sale started by an old Armasight exec who also seems to have ties back to Nyvisys, as well. 
View Quote

That's an excellent question, but unless someone here wants to be a guinea pig or one of the vendors here can comment, that's going to be hard to find out, there is close to diddly squat for info on AGM products online. From their marketing pics it looks like AGM uses black o-rings, not orange, although that really doesn't tell you anything.

I still hope someone will post decent comparison photos for the 40 degree vs. 51 degree lenses.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Tikiman001:

That's an excellent question, but unless someone here wants to be a guinea pig or one of the vendors here can comment, that's going to be hard to find out, there is close to diddly squat for info on AGM products online. From their marketing pics it looks like AGM uses black o-rings, not orange, although that really doesn't tell you anything.

I still hope someone will post decent comparison photos for the 40 degree vs. 51 degree lenses.
View Quote

Pictured top is the lens cell from the glass I got. Bottom is a lens cell from AGM, ordered direct. Draw your own conclusions.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Well thanks for taking one for the team!
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Pictured top is the lens cell from the glass I got. Bottom is a lens cell from AGM, ordered direct. Draw your own conclusions. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/460535/506A129D-CEE2-4778-9514-BF47A3A9E726_jpe-1397604.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/460535/BCA8BDB2-9048-4329-AF98-67CF85CBFA7E_jpe-1397605.JPG
View Quote

So you did know what it was? Or is this a new development.

Does agm make glass to mil spec?
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By shelbysguns:

So you did know what it was? Or is this a new development.

Does agm make glass to mil spec?
View Quote

I didn’t know for sure but I had a hunch. A friend actually bought a set of AGM glass to inspect recently and he actually sent me the picture of the lens cell to compare to mine
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:47:35 AM EDT
[#36]
I dont think the AGM glass is trash, but it certainly isnt as clear or without distortion as other milspec glass i have used.

As Vic said, it is at a lower pricepoint, but lacks the same quality.

Here is my question: Why would ANY VENDOR try and sell glass at a high dollar retail price point and attempt to pass off lower quality glass. Many users are fine with saving some $ on cheaper glass as long as they know up front, however nobody is fine paying more for lesser quality glass.

Hypothetical Question: If these lenses are not milspec, how would that impact any devices sold with them? Would they need to be recalled?

Is there anything UNV can post solidifying the lenses are indeed milspec?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:07:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Just an FYI - we will do whatever we have to do to maintain our pristine reputation and that includes legal action against libel. 
I have worked very hard to build it. That is not a threat, it is just unfortunately what we have to do when people or companies defame our name whether by accident or for personal gain. Please just try and remember that there are people behind each handle and what you say and publish online can have real consequences. 
View Quote

seriously dude?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#40]

Just an FYI - we will do whatever we have to do to maintain our pristine reputation and that includes legal action against libel. I have worked very hard to build it. That is not a threat, it is just unfortunately what we have to do when people or companies defame our name whether by accident or for personal gain. Please just try and remember that there are people behind each handle and what you say and publish online can have real consequences. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Just an FYI - we will do whatever we have to do to maintain our pristine reputation and that includes legal action against libel. I have worked very hard to build it. That is not a threat, it is just unfortunately what we have to do when people or companies defame our name whether by accident or for personal gain. Please just try and remember that there are people behind each handle and what you say and publish online can have real consequences. 

You say its not a threat, sure sounds like one. Especially when combined with statements on reviews of item purchased from you, a person with the creds to back it up. Best way to maintain a pristine reputation, is to be pristine in how you do business. Not threaten to sue to hide or discourage bad reviews.

Yes. These are not commercial optics from Optronics Engineering in Israel. These come from the same vendor in Singapore that has been producing optics that have been supplied to DoD in PVS-14 eyepieces for over a decade. Where does Qioptiq glass come from? Singapore. 

Does not matter who the vendor is, it matters who made it and to what spec. If parts dont interchange, they I personally would highly doubt they are the same as "DoD pvs-14 eyepieces", maybe bought in the same store. Heck I can buy RC Cola and Coca-cola in the same store, and they are vastly different.

People on arfcom love vortex scopes, but they make a low spec and a high spec scope which are worlds apart in quality of glass.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#41]
UNV - Are you saying that eyepiece cells from different manufacturers are not necessarily interchangeable?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:23:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#43]
 We can't set a precedent for UNV or for any business on this forum for that matter that this is "OK" to make false statements.
View Quote

No False statements where made.

I have never bought from you, and your reactions and statements in this thread means that will continue. Not his review of items purchased from you.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:38:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Yes. These are not commercial optics from Optronics Engineering in Israel. These come from the same vendor in Singapore that has been producing optics that have been supplied to DoD in PVS-14 eyepieces for over a decade. Where does Qioptiq glass come from? Singapore. 

When I am in the office next week I will post the test sample report data to support it.  There are some users on this site that should stop jumping to conclusions and publishing written false statements that could damage UNV's reputation. 

View Quote

I've done thousands of dollars worth of business with your company, and have sent probably 10x that much business your way. Did you seriously just threaten to sue me to implying that I am engaging in libel against your business? Are you going to sue every user who asks a product question when the actual item sent does not match up against previously purchased items? If anything, I've been asking if there is data that can be posted proving these are mil spec lenses.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By TNVC:

Just to be clear, I am not saying UNV and AGM glass are the same. We don't use any of this glass. I only know what Armasight then FLIR was using which looks very similar to what we handled and depicted here from the OP.
View Quote

Sorry, I was not trying to imply that. I am also not sure it is the same glass without having both in front of me.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#47]

When I am in the office next week I will post the test sample report data to support it.  There are some users on this site that should stop jumping to conclusions and publishing written false statements that could damage UNV's reputation. 

View Quote

In my opinion,

You threatening to sue just now will do more damage to your reputation than anything else said in this thread.

Trying to sue your customers is usually bad for business.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Yes. If anyone thinks they have published  a false statement that will damage UNV's reputation the wise thing to do would be to edit or redact. At that point it's a misunderstanding that has been cleared up. No harm no foul. 

If you are wondering why we must take this approach just think of it this way - Can I post false statements about your integrity online to the point where it would cost you business or your job? How about just a few sales? Where's the line?  If I can't do that to you why would you expect me to accept from you? Every man has the right to protect their reputation and livelihood. My reputation of integrity is probably the most valuable asset I have in my business, and I'm not about to let that be tarnished over innuendo and false statements. It's not personal, and I'm not calling you out. We are still going to take care of your exchange and appreciate all business. We can't set a precedent for UNV or for any business on this forum for that matter that this is "OK" to make false statements.
View Quote

I did edit and redact, but you guys kept going in the thread, which entirely blew any cover you had and also negated my efforts to conceal your identity.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#49]
No Chosos, all I am saying is that it seems like users just throw around the idea that we are lying, selling counterfeit product, not mil spec and that is a very serious thing to say. It is also 100% false. I welcome the questions that are "What is this", just not the accusations or falsely assumed "facts". If I don't defend UNVs reputation this stuff gets posted in internet oblivion forever with no defense. I probably take it more seriously than everyone else because it is my job. :) I have no beefs with anyone on this forum I just want to remind people that when it comes to our reputation we take that very seriously because our business ethics are what differentiates us from most other vendors. Any other approach besides a vigorous defense would be business suicide. Anyway, stay tuned for the test data and we can all put this to rest. The glass is high quality and if you look through it next to any other PVS-14 eyepiece you will see that.
View Quote

It very well might all be a giant miscommunication, fueled by what could have been resolved at the customer service level. He called and tried getting it fixed before coming here.

Pictured:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

What was sent:
Attachment Attached File

The lens on your website does not match the lens that was sent to Original Poster - check the threaded piece where the eyecup ring threads on. The o-rings are also different from lenses I have previously ordered from your company. In this day and age, I can't say I fault him for asking questions about it. Could it be an honest mixup? Sure, and I hope it is. As I've said, I've done thousands in business with your company and you're a site sponsor. I also don't appreciate being quoted and threatening to sue me for libel, especially when this is clearly not a case for defamation and exists on a technical discussion forum, asking direct questions about your product.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top