Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2020 7:55:04 PM EDT
Do they play well together? What about gas mask and bump helmets, is there a preferred mask?

Link Posted: 4/14/2020 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#2]
my helmet is too small to fit over my MSA straps.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I've used the AirBoss LBM + extended arm models (G66/G69) from wilcox.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:04:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Well there was the one time I forgot I cant buckle the helmet chin strap when my mask is on and I leaned too far forward... At the time I was straddling rafters in an attic filled with CS contacting a subject buried in the insulation. My helmet fell through the ceiling and landed a floor below us so that wasn't ideal.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:32:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Play well?  No, not really.  They can work together but its certainly not ideal.  Wilcox makes an extended arm that gives extra clearance for a mask or whatever.

My only experience is with an M50 mask, it fits under an ACH or ops-core if there is room for it with your pad arrangement.

Ops-core sells a chin strap extender for use with masks.  Its just a 3" or 4" piece of chin strap webbing with a male buckle on one end and female buckle on the other.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#6]
They do work together.

Like others have said, it is about the right combination of gear.

Lots of practice, patience and realizing that you are giving up a lot when you combine all that stuff together.

And if you want the full Monty, go to DARC.  You will get the setup figured out pretty darn quickly.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:49:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Not to mention the resulting face of CS....unless the mask stayed in place? Still....
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 11:12:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The low profile shroud attachments will give you less standoff, hence one of the reasons why those models have the extended eye-relief arms.

The G22 with a conventional L4/Universal pattern shroud will give you even more standoff.

~Augee
View Quote

Dang, I didn't think of it that way! Augee knowledge drops
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:28:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 12:39:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not to mention the resulting face of CS....unless the mask stayed in place? Still....
View Quote

No issues with the mask on that one luckily.

I max out the forward adjustment on my L4G11 paired with skeletonized Wilcox 3 hole shroud to fit my pvs14 in front of my Avon mask.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Depends on the mask as well.

I have a MSA Millennium, and a PVS-14 mounted to a Wilcox G11 and Ops Core Maritime. I didn't specifically consider having to use NODS and a mask, but with the Millennium on, my PVS-14 won't fully come down even when I've maxed adjustments on the G11. Otherwise it has an awesome field of view, but it's not low-profile compared to other designs. Maybe a G22 might make it work, but I'd have to have one in hand before I could say so.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Dollar Tree scuba mask
superglue
two spare PVS14 eyecups (to cut and glue to the mask)
a swimming noseplug
a scuba breathing mouthpiece duct-taped to a CBRN (or appropriate) filter
and a $125 Tommy Bahama Hawaiian shirt

All in all, it should run you about $150 without the filter.

Seriously though, would the NV see through the CS smoke very well? seems like a thermal monocular or fusion might be the way to go to see through smoke screen.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Pneumagger:
Dollar Tree scuba mask
superglue
two spare PVS14 eyecups (to cut and glue to the mask)
a swimming noseplug
a scuba breathing mouthpiece duct-taped to a CBRN (or appropriate) filter
and a $125 Tommy Bahama Hawaiian shirt

All in all, it should run you about $150 without the filter.

Seriously though, would the NV see through the CS smoke very well? seems like a thermal monocular or fusion might be the way to go to see through smoke screen.
View Quote

CS is effective even when the smoke isn't cloudy, anyone who's been through a CS chamber can attest to that.  Also, not all CBRN threats create visible smoke clouds.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Dollar Tree scuba mask
superglue
two spare PVS14 eyecups (to cut and glue to the mask)
a swimming noseplug
a scuba breathing mouthpiece duct-taped to a CBRN (or appropriate) filter
and a $125 Tommy Bahama Hawaiian shirt

All in all, it should run you about $150 without the filter.

Seriously though, would the NV see through the CS smoke very well? seems like a thermal monocular or fusion might be the way to go to see through smoke screen.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top