Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/11/2020 1:19:45 PM EDT
Anybody have any experience with these?

I am wondering how useful something like this would be in a city/urban neighborhood watch capacity?

I have seen plenty of pics in wide open fields with uniform temps that make the pics pop....but how good do these work for scanning a city street with lots of objects and varying temps?

This looks like an awesome unit but I would love some input from those with first hand experience.

TIA
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
a city street with lots of objects and varying temps?
View Quote
Urban ops is where thermal really does well. Unlike night vision there will be zero glare. Also thermal needs varying temp to make a good image

The Scion 266 is about the best thing going.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#2]
One important thing to add is unlike Night Vision, thermal can’t look out of, or into windows.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Had one about a month now.  Same unit

Its pretty awesome all around, and would work for your application
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had one about a month now.  Same unit

Its pretty awesome all around, and would work for your application
View Quote
I'm interested in this as well.  How is battery life?  Have you tried rechargeables with it?  TIA!
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Do these units have an attachment point to use a neck lanyard?

That’s the way I like to roll, lol

@Skypup
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#6]
How many batteries do you guys buy to keep on hand with these units?

@Burnsome-
@Skypup
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 8:06:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Call FLIR and get the 330 MB firmware upgrade and the new PDF manual to operate all the features.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I think I got around 4 hours with standard CR123s.

Switched to Arlo rechargeable 123s and get about 3.5 hours as I recall.  Makes it a lot easier for sure and the way I roll with mine now.  Most of the times I go hunting at night, 3 or so hours is long enough for me so that works.

FLIR informed me they are coming out with their own rechargeable battery pack fairly soon and would be a nice option to have a couple and rotate out.  Thats the way I'll go when they become available

Not sure about lanyard attach point. I'll have to look at mine and see, but I dont think it has one.  It would be handy to have one and I suspect anything is possible with regards to figuring someway to do that.

Several folks have posted they use a short monopod with theirs, and I saw where somebody was using a battery containing monopod that can be hooked up for extended run times.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Call FLIR and get the 330 MB firmware upgrade and the new PDF manual to operate all the features.
View Quote
Thanks for the tip SkyPup.  I plan on doing that tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 6:57:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is the camera lanyard attachment screw I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Camera-SDTC-Tech-Install-Release/dp/B07TX7W141
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Here is the camera lanyard attachment screw I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Camera-SDTC-Tech-Install-Release/dp/B07TX7W141
View Quote
Awesome, thanks
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

What does the firmware upgrade do for it?

@SkyPup
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 5:18:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Lots, half the adjustments in the manual were not in the menu screens, plus other image enhancements.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn, this is a super nice scanning kit with the 6,800 mAHr rechargeable camera handle.

Link Posted: 3/21/2020 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Deer snoozing in yard, 125 yards.

Link Posted: 3/22/2020 12:19:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Damn, this is a super nice scanning kit with the 6,800 mAHr rechargeable camera handle.

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20SCION%20640%20BOSON/IMG_5872.JPG
View Quote

Specs on battery?
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#18]
6,800 mAHr rechargeable Li-ion
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#19]
The firmware update and new manual are available on FLIR's website. You'll need to login or create a user account to access. It was fairly simple to install from my MacBook. The new manual and update are a big step in the right direction.

For a lanyard - there's a very small section of exposed pin on the hinge of the battery compartment. I was able to attach a small camera wrist strap like this...
amazon wrist strap
but I think it's only an option I would use for light duty usage.

Skypup, I just got an Anker Power Core + 26800 PD 45 W but it won't power the Scion. Tried different cables. The Anker charges phones, etc, just fine. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The firmware update and new manual are available on FLIR's website. You'll need to login or create a user account to access. It was fairly simple to install from my MacBook. The new manual and update are a big step in the right direction.
View Quote

@jimmy2spot do you have a link or any details on this (firmware file location, if they have a software tool I need to perform the upgrade, etc). Their support numbers say they're closed until sometime next month and I'm interested in upgrading my 266.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#21]
No software needed to upgrade.

The 330 MB firmware file is a binary file, you cannot open it.

Simply hook up Scion to a computer, create a new folder in the internal FLIR RAM titled, UPGRADE, copy and paste firmware upgrade into the UPGRADE folder. Turn off Scion and turn back on, take two to three minutes to boot up and new firmware is installed.

I have no idea why the Anker external battery is not working? Be sure to update firmware first and follow directions as below.

Hook up the Anker to the mini C USB while the Scion is OFF, turn on Scion, and in the upper right hand corner where the battery icon used to be will be a new charging USB icon. Be sure to have functional CR123s in the battery box as will not work without them, ie will not work on external battery pack alone...
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 9:16:44 AM EDT
[#22]
You can delete the firmware upgrade file after it is installed. I installed a 64GB mini SDHC card too for photos and videos.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Any word from FLIR about their rechargeable battery pack availability yet?
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Any word from FLIR about their rechargeable battery pack availability yet?
View Quote

As far as I know it will be a long wait due to complete reorganization of OTS division, rechargeable battery pack and BT app at best next fall.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Aha, I didn't try it with the batteries installed. Thanks, Skypup!

Rubywat,
As far as I can tell, the firmware update is unavailable without creating a user account on FLIR's sight. After creating a user account it took a few steps navigating to the updates but it’s there and includes instructions.  But the method Skypup explained sounds super simple.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Ahhh I was registered at flir.com not the customer portal. For any lurkers looking for firmware
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ahhh I was registered at flir.com not the customer portal. For any lurkers looking for firmware
View Quote

Glad you found it, now the internal menus should match the new PDF owners manual and you can calibrate the compass.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for posting this. My Scion was supposedly delivered yesterday and I’m anxiously awaiting getting home to try it out tomorrow. If it needs updating your post will make it easier!
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#29]
No problem, mine arrived just the other day and definitely apply that update so you can shut off wifi, bluetooth, gps, etc and save it from eating so many batteries before you get it hooked up to USB power. SkyPup's instructions worked exactly as described.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#30]
OK, got the Scion and have updated the firmware.  Picture looks good so far, but I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, so.....

1.  Where is the micro-SD card slot?  I know it has one....can't find it!

2.  Is there a way to "fix" the eyecup?  It rotates every time I pick the thing up.

3.  The manual (page 9 location 5) shows a lanyard attach point on the body of the Scion.  Do they mean the exposed portion of the battery compartment door hinge?  If so, seems a great way to break the door...

4.  What other learning points do I need to know?

Firmware download took awhile with several pauses.  Everything else was running on my end.  Skypup's instructions were good and installation was easy and fast.  The picture is much better than my LS64, but the unit is significantly heavier and slightly bulkier.  The control panel button layout will take time to get used to after the simplicity of the LS64, but I'm excited about the onboard video/pic capture, the better display and color palettes.

If I ever learn how to use this thing and install an SC card, I'll try to post some videos next week.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
1.  Where is the micro-SD card slot?  I know it has one....can't find it!
View Quote

Under the battery module. Wish I could help with the others
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 9:47:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Under the battery module. Wish I could help with the others
View Quote

I’m assuming you mean the flat silver compartment at the lens end of the battery compartment. I thought that was a batt conx but clearly it isn’t. Does the SD card slide in from the top or is that a tray that folds out?  How can you tell when the camera has recognized the card?

Sorry for the newb questions...
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 8:54:29 AM EDT
[#33]
SDHC card goes in with top (front) of card facing the battery compartment and back of the card facing the front of camera. I used a paper clip to very carefully insert mine. When you hook it up to a computer it will recognize the extra card and you’ll ha e two DCM ram folders, one on internal memory and one on SDHC card.

The new PDF manual is on the internal card after you do the firmware update.

Get a camera tripod hole screwed lanyard attachment to install lanyard to. I’d post a pic of the SDHC card install and the camera tripod screw mount lanyard holder, but am moving my domain to a new server today and things are offline for awhile.

I took my eye cup off due to eyeglass interference.

Read the entire PDF manual to figure out what the menu icons do and how to operate the buttons.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#34]
I use a shuttered eyeguard like this instead of the factory eye piece.  Helps when hunting and eliminates backwash light that might spook the night time critters I'm after

Eyeguard
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Get a camera tripod hole screwed lanyard attachment to install lanyard to. I’d post a pic of the SDHC card install and the camera tripod screw mount lanyard holder, but am moving my domain to a new server today and things are offline for awhile.

I took my eye cup off due to eyeglass interference.

Read the entire PDF manual to figure out what the menu icons do and how to operate the buttons.
View Quote

You're lucky that you get to choose where to move your domain.  Mine got moved to the basement by my house queen a few years ago... :D

Your instructions on firmware setup were excellent.  Worked great.  I've read the new manual (will have to do it again) but I found it quite lacking in the micro-SD card instructions.  Thank you for confirming what rubywat said and for the description...I'm quite worried about breaking this thing.

I played with the Scion last night.  My initial impressions are mixed.  It is WAY more capable than my LS64, but it is also way more complex.  I really like the improved picture and better display, but dislike the multiple steps to change brightness and palette.  With 6 batteries it is also significantly heavier and bulkier.  We are getting a bunch of rain today with high humidity to follow, so I'll get to give the two a tough comparison test if work doesn't get in the way.

Thanks again!

Link Posted: 3/31/2020 10:02:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I use a shuttered eyeguard like this instead of the factory eye piece.  Helps when hunting and eliminates backwash light that might spook the night time critters I'm after

Eyeguard
View Quote

Great idea!  Any issues getting it to remain on the Scion?  I had a similar setup on my IR Hunter and lost the shuttered eyeguard walking out of the woods.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#38]
I’ll have to admit it eats batteries, turn off WiFI and BT for better battery life.

I pretty much use mine with external battery pack all the time, can set it on a tripod to scan with all night.

Outstanding resolution and detail for a hand scanner.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Great idea!  Any issues getting it to remain on the Scion?  I had a similar setup on my IR Hunter and lost the shuttered eyeguard walking out of the woods.
View Quote

Havent had any issues with mine falling off.  It fits well.  I suppose a dab or two of silicone sealant/adhesive would hold it on if needed.  I much prefer it to the standard eyepiece as it rotates a bit too easily as you mentioned above.

The coyotes in my AO are pretty alert to ANYTHING since I've been killing them for the last 3 years so elimination of any backwash light is pretty much mandatory.  Prior to my crusade, we were over run.  Yotes were out there operating without any decent restraint, totally beyond the pale of any acceptable conduct.  That's not the case anymore.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Havent had any issues with mine falling off.  It fits well.  I suppose a dab or two of silicone sealant/adhesive would hold it on if needed.  I much prefer it to the standard eyepiece as it rotates a bit too easily as you mentioned above.

View Quote

Thanks!  What batteries are you running in your Scion?  Are you using any type of externals?
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks!  What batteries are you running in your Scion?  Are you using any type of externals?
View Quote

I use these.  Probably get 3.5-4 hours off them per charge.

Batts

I believe SkyPup uses an external of some type which might work better for you. I've tried one of my externals but it doesnt work for some reason.  Pretty happy with getting by with the rechargeable 123s but am disappointed that FLIR is not coming out with their own battery pack that was supposidly due to be released just around the corner per what I was told by FLIR CS.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Did a few tests for the external battery, the only success I have had is using USB-C to USB-C (power delivery capable ports). I guess they only intend the cable that it ships with to be used for transferring images and updates because I haven't had success with any normal USB 2.4A batteries.

So I'll be ordering a longer USB-C to USB-C cable and using a Sherpa battery pack. Happy to know it works though, I ate through a whole box of surefire batteries just testing it as a Wifi/RTSP mounted video camera.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 4:07:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Good find on the cables.  I'll have to try that
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#44]
I finally tried the external battery with the internal battery pack loaded and installed. No luck (no USB icon) using standard usb to usb-c cable. Good tip on using a usb-c to usb-c cable. I'll order one and try next.

ETA: Found a usb-c to usb-c cable in my IT tool box. Still no luck getting an indication the Scion is running on USB power. I guess this will have to be resolved with FLIR or more trouble shooting once things settle down to semi-normal. Meanwhile, I'll get more batteries.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 8:46:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Did a few tests for the external battery, the only success I have had is using USB-C to USB-C (power delivery capable ports). I guess they only intend the cable that it ships with to be used for transferring images and updates because I haven't had success with any normal USB 2.4A batteries.

So I'll be ordering a longer USB-C to USB-C cable and using a Sherpa battery pack. Happy to know it works though, I ate through a whole box of surefire batteries just testing it as a Wifi/RTSP mounted video camera.
View Quote
What does RTSP stand for?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 1:35:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What does RTSP stand for?

Thanks
View Quote

Real Time Streaming Protocol. If you start the Scion in WiFi Host mode it will provide an RTSP stream URL you can connect to with VLC (video player) to watch the view live.

Unfortunately my unit just stopped working, screen backlight doesn't even turn on but I can still hear it clicking. So this unit will have to be returned
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:34:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Real Time Streaming Protocol. If you start the Scion in WiFi Host mode it will provide an RTSP stream URL you can connect to with VLC (video player) to watch the view live.

Unfortunately my unit just stopped working, screen backlight doesn't even turn on but I can still hear it clicking. So this unit will have to be returned
View Quote

Man, does that ever SUCK!  Please let us know what FLIR CS says is the issue and if there's anything we can do as users to prevent/mitigate it.  Best of luck!
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 11:46:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20SCION%20640%20BOSON/IMG_5872.JPG
View Quote

@SkyPup

i ordered the same battery but the unit won’t power up. What power wire are you using? The one that came with the battery (USB to USB-c) or did you go with a USB-c to USB-c male-male?
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#49]
The mini-C cord that comes with it is only for data transfer, I got another mini-C cord that does the charging.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#50]
https://www.flir.com/products/scion-rechargeable-battery-kit_gpx310/

Looks like the on board battery pack is available, who’s going first?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top