Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2020 3:47:50 PM EDT
Purchased a new manufactured “white phosphor high performance +” unit through a retailer. Purchase price was ~$3150. Unit arrived yesterday and these are the specs:

Photocathode response:  2270
Equiv Background input (EBI):  0.53
Center Resolution:  64
Signal to Noise ratio:  26.7
Halo max: 0.84
FOM Max:  1708.8
System gain, actual low:  0
System gain, actual high:  8490

Thanks for any help. I have an eval period to review and want to make sure I received a decent unit.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Purchased a new manufactured “white phosphor high performance +” unit through a retailer. Purchase price was ~$3150. Unit arrived yesterday and these are the specs

Equiv Background input (EBI):  0.53
Center Resolution:  64
Signal to Noise ratio:  26.7
Halo max: 0.84
FOM Max:  1708.

Thanks for any help. I have an eval period to review and want to make sure I received a decent unit.

Thanks!
View Quote
Definitely not a bad unit, but for a little more you could have gotten a filmless WP unit - if you don’t mind a zone 3 blem.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like solid tube specs, not groundbreaking by any means, but overall good. Comparing specs on the internet is a double edged sword. Nothing compares to how it actually performs in front of your eyeball, especially relative to your needs. You didn't get a super hookup on a tube or anything, but if you turn it on out in the field and are happy, who cares?
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like solid tube specs, not groundbreaking by any means, but overall good. Comparing specs on the internet is a double edged sword. Nothing compares to how it actually performs in front of your eyeball, especially relative to your needs. You didn't get a super hookup on a tube or anything, but if you turn it on out in the field and are happy, who cares?
View Quote
+1

those are solid specs. I would call that an average omni 8 contract tube. If it was completely free of blemishes I would say its a good keeper.

we have become a bit desensitized to specs lately because they have been putting out some amazing high spec tubes over the past 1-2 years with numbers that smoke omni 8 minimum specs to the point where "average" specs just seem kind meh anymore.

But still with the specs you listed all things considered this current gen 3 night vision is really pretty amazing.

Bottom line, it will serve you well and perform for you.

ETA: I just saw your comment about the eval period. FWIW a TNVC pvs-14 is $3,195 with no discounts and you are 95% certain to receive a higher spec tube than what you have right now, and lifetime warranty on the housing with a 10 year warranty on the tube/electronics
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 6:06:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you get a decent tube? Yes. All of the specs are average except the EBI which is really good. I've had tubes with similar specs and they performed well.

Right now is a good time to test a tube's performance. If you're in the city, it won't matter, the tube will look great with all the ambient light. If you can, try to get out where it's dark before 8-9pm before the Moon is up but get back out after 1pm or so when it's up high. It'll be at 66% illumination which is bright but not crazy bright.

If you don't go the same night, use this site to see where the Moon will be: Moon Giant
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#5]
@cledford3
I forgot to ask - have you used night vision before? It'll be good if you know what to expect. I've seen people get disappointed their first time using gen 3 when it's real dark outside.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
but if you turn it on out in the field and are happy, who cares?
View Quote
THIS is where I am.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like a nice setup. Be sure to scour the forums for all the useful suggestions that make the rig even more useful and effective than you suspect.
Congrats on grabbing this. Have fun with it. It's the kind of thing that could save your life.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:42:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks to everyone for the feedback!  Definitely puts the mind at ease.  To get my foot in the door I started out (over a year ago) with with a SiOnyx Aurora, that grew to duals, which I really enjoyed - but the PVS14 completely blows them out of the water!
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:08:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks to everyone for the feedback!  Definitely puts the mind at ease.  To get my foot in the door I started out (over a year ago) with with a SiOnyx Aurora, that grew to duals, which I really enjoyed - but the PVS14 completely blows them out of the water!
View Quote
You saw the “light”
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:24:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Pretty much the same specs as mine OP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top