Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2020 8:47:00 AM EDT
What is the deal with the *multiple* admonishments  in the manual to make SURE you never leave batteries in the unit?  Seriously?

I just dropped serious coin (for me) on a DBAL-I2. Was very torn between it and comparable Holosun offerings.  I decided to pay the premium for what I thought would be the durability and reliability of the bigger name.  However, sort of freaked out by this battery issue. Is this normal?  I don’t have another powered optic or device that instructs a user to do so.

Such instruction makes me wonder if there is a design problem that parasitically eats power, even when off, leading to battery depletion and leakage.

Does anyone know what the deal is?  Unsettling to pay so much for something, expecting top tier, and get blind sided with something like this.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 8:49:24 AM EDT
[#1]
It's just a matter of being concerned with batteries leaking. I have the DBAL, always keep a battery in it and love the thing. Best laser ever.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Pretty much everything NV related emphasizes battery removal when not in use. Battery leakage can kill the shit out of expensive electronics.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 8:53:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I take batteries out of my lasers and NVGs solely to eliminate the chance of a battery leaking and ruining the device for any sort of long term storage or "non-use".

Cheap insurance for accident prevention.

If it is being used routinely, then I will leave them in.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:20:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Generally speaking, lithium batteries don't leak very often

My experience with the DBAL is that if the battery is left in and the switch is in any of the on positions, it drains VERY quick. As in under 24 hours and you have a useless beam. That's with two different i2 and and A3
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:21:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I have read many posts that report the DBAL developed dead batteries after fairly short periods of storage.
Some returned for inspection. Mentions of an improved version.
None of my 3 ever has exhibited the problem, and they include an early (Laser Devices) example and two Steiner ones.

From the sidelines, my guess was that it isn't a problem of parasitic power leakage, but was perhaps a power management design that has a high margin - a design that hits minimum voltage requirements "faster" than a more efficient power supply might and simply refuses to light up when that voltage is struck. Never took any measurements though.
So I don't know. I don't much care.

I like mine and return time after time for the same model.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:33:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My experience with the DBAL is that if the battery is left in and the switch is in any of the on positions, it drains VERY quick. As in under 24 hours and you have a useless beam. That's with two different i2 and and A3
View Quote
This has been my experience as well.  Leaving the unit switched "OFF" seems to take care of the issue.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, as said adove, two issues to worry about.

1. Alkaline battery leaking. Use only lithium batteries.
2. Battery drain when switch is in any position except off. Keep the switch off when not in use.

Lithium batteries I've never seen leak. But I would keep them in a temperature controlled environment to be safe.

I've had two DBAL units, both Steiner branded (not LDI).

Never had a problem with leaving batteries in.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What is the deal with the *multiple* admonishments  in the manual to make SURE you never leave batteries in the unit?  Seriously?

I just dropped serious coin (for me) on a DBAL-I2. Was very torn between it and comparable Holosun offerings.  I decided to pay the premium for what I thought would be the durability and reliability of the bigger name.  However, sort of freaked out by this battery issue. Is this normal?  I don’t have another powered optic or device that instructs a user to do so.

Such instruction makes me wonder if there is a design problem that parasitically eats power, even when off, leading to battery depletion and leakage.

Does anyone know what the deal is?  Unsettling to pay so much for something, expecting top tier, and get blind sided with something like this.

Thanks!
View Quote
Alkaline batteries swell up and are extremely difficult to remove.  They also corrode shit.  This happened to my OTAL.  I was lucky to save it and now have a lithium battery installed.  If they didn't include a plastic sleeve between the battery and the housing, I doubt I would have been able to save it.  I used a wire brush on a Dremel to get the corrosion off the cap. It was pretty bad and some metal was missing.

I would estimate that my OTAL alkaline batt lasted about 5 years.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Pretty much everything NV related emphasizes battery removal when not in use. Battery leakage can kill the shit out of expensive electronics.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lower or higher priced does not change the advice to remove batteries for storage, except for making both manufacturers and end-users more cautious, as there's a higher investment in the product, so replacement and maintenance costs will also be higher.

As others have mentioned, something to understand about most IR laser systems is that if the switch is not turned to "OFF" (almost always 90 degrees to the left, pointing to the 9 o'clock when viewed from the top), the laser is still "ON," even if it's not activated, and thus will continue to drain power, and unlike simple LED "dots" like in many optics, a single battery is simply not going to last that long.

Regardless, the general recommendation holds true for most electronic products--when in storage (not in use long-term), it is best to go ahead and remove the batteries to prevent even the possibility of battery related failures or damage.

What I can say is that there are plenty of examples of batteries that are left in various devices while they are in active use (e.g., military issued batteries in military rifles overseas) with little to no ill effects as long as the user makes sure to switch the devices "OFF" when not being used (i.e., all during the day in most instances).

That being said, no matter what admonitions or warnings that we give end users, there is almost always instances of end users that buy the cheapest possible batteries from Dollar General and sticking it in their devices and leaving them "ON," that they then stick in the safe for the next six months because they only use their night vision/night vision accessories twice a year if that, and then next thing you know, they're pissed off because it ruined the one night shoot they had planned, and they're wanting a warranty repair. Sure, lithium battery leaks are much rarer than alkaline, but is it really worth potentially damaging your device?

Removing the battery guarantees both that you've reduced the chance of cell failure of some sort to zero, AND that you can't have left devices accidentally turned on or anything else that might cause issues, it's a redundant check to make sure your equipment and investments stay in good working order when you really need them.

~Augee
View Quote
And honestly, that is the beauty of the PERST line of lasers from Russia. Mine has gone months with the switch always in an on position - whether IR or visible. Still using the factory battery and it’s all good
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Had Alkalines in a PEQ-2 for a few months that I forgot were in there - they leaked all over the battery compartment and fused one of the battery caps to the threads. It ultimately destroyed the unit.

A good way to think about it is - trying to clean up after a failed battery is a hell of a lot more work than just taking out a battery from something if you are done using it. If it's going away for more than a week or two? Might as well take them out.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 5:02:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 9:54:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

And honestly, that is the beauty of the PERST line of lasers from Russia. Mine has gone months with the switch always in an on position - whether IR or visible. Still using the factory battery and it’s all good
View Quote
Yea, it's only been a week for me with it set to "Green" , but they come with a battery installed, and who knows how long its been on the shelf. I don't know - I see the wisdom about a safe queen having the power source removed, but the gun under my bed? I've had Alkaline's leak in various things - I'd never use them - but never a Lithium cell. Taking the Lithium's out of an HD/SD LAM, would be like removing your Optic battery - to me anyway. But this reminds me, I do need to remove my LS321G's battery, now that she got replaced by a Russian girl
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Alkaline batteries used to rarely leak, but after some EPA bullshit it's almost a fore-drawn conclusion now.  Leaking batteries are very destructive to electronics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top