Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2020 9:20:02 AM EDT
I have some nods with older, like 2003, aviation tubes in them. No gain and non-gated.

Whenever I look past a bright thing in a pitch dark room, like an LED on a turned-off television, non NVG reticule, or an alarm clock, I get these black lines that streak across wherever the bright thing was as I move my head around.

The black lines fade away fairly quickly. Well less than a minute in most cases.

It only happens in very dark situations. If I have decent ambient light, starlight, illuminator throw, it doesn't happen when I look past the same objects.

Now, I realize these are older tech tubes. Non gated. I used to have some OMNI VII Pinnacle tubes with great specs that didn't have this problem.

Is this something I should worry about? Like are they just aging? Or is that a normal factor of tubes from that era?
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Perfectly normal, I have a newer autogated tube that does it all the time. My older non gated tube never does it. Anyways it wont hurt a thing.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:53:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Just don't stare at the light for a long time.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:12:14 AM EDT
[#3]
My recent, auto-gated gear does the same. Even the internal reflections streak along with the point source of the light sometimes.
Don't worry about it. But don't stare through such a bright light when you can help it.
Have fun with the equipment .
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds good, all. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 6:51:54 AM EDT
[#5]
photocathode electron depletion

Basically black magic voodoo curse

It has to do with things with alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 7:13:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top