Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2020 11:14:32 PM EDT
So I’ve got some RNVGs on the way and now I need a pointer for it. I’m torn between the Perst-4 with a Surefire Vampire so I can have IR illum and white light or a Perst-3 and keep running one of my Arisakas or a Modlite. Would love to get feedback from users!
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:16:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Perst 3 with modlight you want instant access to white light
And you want an ir illumator and ir laser with one press of a button.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:37:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Streamlight TLR-VIR II and a Surefire Vamp. Can use the TLR as your IR designator and illuminator, then use the Surefire as the white light. If you need more IR long range illum, switch the Surefire to Vamp mode.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#3]
You're talking 2 *very* different budgets here

I echo the PERST-3 with a White Light, for all the reasons smeeg mentioned. Trying to manage separate IR devices doesn't sound fun, and getting to white light will take what - 2 seconds or so... that's pretty long for a real situation, as rare as it may be.

The TLR is workable though. I don't know all the products out there, but an IR Only Pointer/Illuminator and a white light, would seem to be the best budget friendly option - you can kind of do that with the TLR and adding a white light (even though it does white too).

But then there's range - how far do you want this to "work"? PERSTs are full power, so will work further than 5.56 can be reasonably expected to hit, at night.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I’m not really concerned on budget, obviously cheaper is better but getting more capability for more money is acceptable. I’m not so concerned with range but being able to throw the Perst on a bolt gun for some night time long range is an attractive prospect.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m not really concerned on budget, obviously cheaper is better but getting more capability for more money is acceptable. I’m not so concerned with range but being able to throw the Perst on a bolt gun for some night time long range is an attractive prospect.
View Quote
I have a perst 3 and would still get a MAWL.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:58:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Care to elaborate on that decision? Just got a Perst unit in and while I like it so far, I have no time with a MAWL to form a meaningful opinion.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I would do dedicated white light. If you really need it you need it rtf now.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would do dedicated white light. If you really need it you need it rtf now.
View Quote
If you are doing anything serious, I agree with this 100%.

If you have something like a vampire, it’s always set on wl unless I am going into a situation where I need ir at that exact moment. When adrenaline gets flowing, your screwed if you would have to switch over to white.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Cause you may have a dud?
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Care to elaborate on that decision? Just got a Perst unit in and while I like it so far, I have no time with a MAWL to form a meaningful opinion.
View Quote
The main advantage of the MAWL is the ability to quickly switch between modes on the fly from wide, mid and far illumination/laser. Other LAMs require to twist the illuminator's lens to narrow or widen the beam. If your main goal is dynamic use then the MAWL is the latest and greatest. If you're main goal is to ring steel with a clip on than a D2 is a cheaper alternative.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I've had both and agree with what munny mentioned. MAWL controls are superior to all. Perst controls is that like a DBAL and PEQ, and although could switch modes on my perst with just my thumb, I can do it significantly faster and with less thought with the MAWL.

That being said the the perst is full powered and its laser is its main advantage vs the civ mawl functionality wise. That and the fact its 1.6k less than what I got the mawl for was the reason I switched.

As for the DBALs the i2 I had was around 650 the perst I got for around 900. The 250 dollar difference was much well worth it as the illuminator and laser on the perst absolutely destroys the i2.

So currently for me, based on price to performance. Nothing beats the perst 3. Though if money was no issue I would get the mawl no doubt because of its ergonomic and ease of use and although the perst laser is more powerful than the civ mawl I dont see myself needing that extra power and the laser on the mawl is plenty strong for me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 1:01:52 AM EDT
[#12]
So I ended up going with the Perst, it seems that from a price-performance ratio it just can't be beat at the moment (unless you're one of the guys making full-power PEQs "fall off a truck").
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm saving for a MAWL. My luck an even better gadget will come out the second tnvc gets my credit info.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have Perst 2 and a MAWL, I would get another Perst 2 or Perst 3

Yes, there are always potential warranty issues with Russian stuff but Perst 2 is half the price and has way more capability. I hunt hogs mostly with a 6.5g and the MAWL, or a 5.45 AK and the Perst 2. Nothing bad to say about the MAWL, in fact I love mine quite a bit but it's extremely expensive and most people probably aren't going to need it
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Cheeky bastard.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah I like the ergos with the Mawl better, sure its expensive, but switching on the fly like Munny said is what I like better. Oh and my Perst showed up broken so there’s that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yeah I like the ergos with the Mawl better, sure its expensive, but switching on the fly like Munny said is what I like better. Oh and my Perst showed up broken so there's that.
View Quote
My Perst 2 had a firmware issue out of the box but they shipped me a replacement no questions asked before I sent the first one back

And the MAWL can't be beat for ergos either, I totally agree. I went DBAL A4 to try it out because I like the A3 too but for the price I should have ponied up for a second MAWL, or saved a couple bucks and did Perst 3
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 8:43:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top