Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/6/2020 11:41:56 AM EDT
I want to set up a braced 1022 charger for night time suppressed plinking/varmit control. I'm thinking either a 1x prism or red dot with a NV mode with a Sionyx mounted behind it, plus a Perst-1 for an additional aiming method. Seems like it would be fun and wouldn't wake the neighbors.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#1]
@TX-Zen
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Im waiting on a Volquartsen Scorpion right now, have a sf can, gonna do a 1 MOA trijicon RMR and a surefire x400v on it for nightime plinky boog.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Almost got one of those rifles a bit ago. What are your thoughts on it?
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#5]
You can zero to like three rifles with those FLIRs right? That's not a bad idea. I was planning on getting a thermal this year anyways.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 12:14:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I just have a 10/22, but would love a front rail to shoot skunks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 1:15:56 PM EDT
[#7]
cmmg 9" with a Sparrow can.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Almost got one of those rifles a bit ago. What are your thoughts on it?
View Quote
only had it a month. But so far pretty happy with it. It seems to be very accurate with CCI green tag.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 3:01:27 PM EDT
[#9]
4" 22lr SBR.

Link Posted: 1/6/2020 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#10]
i hunt coons and other small animals with a 4.5" suppressed 22LR SBR.  it has an ITAL and M600V on it now.  also has a PA optic with a Geissele tall boi mount.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 3:44:35 PM EDT
[#12]

4.5" .22lr.

Yes I realize it looks like the accessories are massive overkill, but I have used every bit of it in operations while serving with Task Force Trash Panda. Most of the time they're at night, but sometimes they're in daylight and very high up in trees, so the magnifier is useful then.

It even has a binary trigger, though I've only used that operationally once, when I came around the shed and thought to myself "wait why is this raccoon on the ground, wait what's that white stripe showing on its back in my nods, OH SHIT"
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Awesome. Charger I is what I'm going for, I just didn't even think about thermal. Already got that same chassis and brace when they were on sale. Don't even have the gun yet.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/oLUKkOv.jpg

4.5" .22lr.

Yes I realize it looks like the accessories are massive overkill, but I have used every bit of it in operations while serving with Task Force Trash Panda. Most of the time they're at night, but sometimes they're in daylight and very high up in trees, so the magnifier is useful then.

It even has a binary trigger, though I've only used that operationally once, when I came around the shed and thought to myself "wait why is this raccoon on the ground, wait what's that white stripe showing on its back in my nods, OH SHIT"
View Quote
I love that setup.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#15]
What is the best 22lr AR upper?
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't have a 10/22 but I've shot the piss out of rabbits and other varmints with my CMMG upper

DBAL A3 is excellent for lighting up varmints since you aren't taking more than 20 to 50 yard shots anyway, but I also like to use thermal as well because lasers and tiny varmints can be super tough

Link Posted: 1/6/2020 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just have a 10/22, but would love a front rail to shoot skunks.
View Quote
I have been asking here on ARF and a few other places about an extended rail for my 10/22 so I can mount a clip-on in front of a LPVO . Once member responded with what he put together using a bunch of risers and a Pulsar mount, but it was way to busy for me.

Others have suggested a Leapers Tactical Scout Slim Rail but some others have said it is flimsy. So I am not sure it would support the 1.7lb weight of a clip-on without bending a bit.
Attachment Attached File

I inquired with MDT to see if their Remington 700 extended rail could be adapted to a Ruger 10/22 and they said no.

For years I have been using a monoloc with an old Leupold 2-7 compact. The glass is not great so anything beyond 4x the center of the image gets bad.

Currently I am investigating if a NV rail can be incorporated into the stock of an after market Ruger stock, but not sure if the price will be tolerable.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Here was my old set up
10/22 with McMillan Visionmaster 6-16x80mm Day/Night scope.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Yep, a 9" CMMG 22 LR barrel w/ Midwest Industries rail and my now 13 year old Gemtech Outback 2 w/ IOU core upgrade.  It's very accurate w/ CCI SV and sounds hilarious.  I've tried all of my rimfire cans on it to see which sounded the best and had the most consistent groups, the old Gemtech won for consistency but they all sounded about the same.

Standard configuration:  Holosun HS503G on LT-101 riser (perfect height for passive shooting and lets me mount a magnifier when I want to), CTC Rail Master micro IR laser, KAC Micro 200-600m rear sight (sights 100% usable through see through MRD mount), MBUS Pro front sight, Surefire X300V white light/IR illuminator

Scoped configuration:  Vortex Viper HS-LR 2.5-10x32 w/ XLR MOA reticle in 30 MOA ADM mount, PVS-27 clip-on, SWR Radius rangefinder

Naked (lots of fun shooting out to 200 yd w/ these irons):

Link Posted: 1/6/2020 8:30:07 PM EDT
[#23]
10-22 Gemtech Mist integral suppressed with FLIR RS-64

Link Posted: 1/6/2020 8:38:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#25]
My 22lr rifle is an (old now) integrally suppressed Marlin 780. Ciener made. Laugh out loud quiet. Other people on the deck with me don't notice. I love that rifle.
Many of the smaller varmints can be VERY hard to see in NV, even when I know exactly where they are and illuminate with IR light.
I found that thermal is vastly superior and suggest it if you have one.
If you don't have thermal, consider having a white light source in case the critter is impossible to find through the NV with added IR light. While a dim-as-usefully-possible white light lets an unaided eye see normally and works fine for the NV aided eye as well, sometimes you will have to flip the NV out of the way and shoot with white light and the optic you chose for aiming.

Beware that mounting a thermal or a NVG on any rifle can be problematic, because often the eyepiece is way too far forward. You can't get close enough to the eyepiece to see the field of view. Find a rail that reaches farther back toward the shooter than one intended for a scope.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 8:02:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My 22lr rifle is an (old now) integrally suppressed Marlin 780. Ciener made. Laugh out loud quiet. Other people on the deck with me don't notice. I love that rifle.
Many of the smaller varmints can be VERY hard to see in NV, even when I know exactly where they are and illuminate with IR light.
If you don't have thermal, consider having a white light source in case the critter is impossible to find through the NV with added IR light. While a dim-as-usefully-possible white light lets an unaided eye see normally and works fine for the NV aided eye as well, sometimes you will have to flip the NV out of the way and shoot with white light and the optic you chose for aiming.

Beware that mounting a thermal or a NVG on any rifle can be problematic, because often the eyepiece is way too far forward. You can't get close enough to the eyepiece to see the field of view. Find a rail that reaches farther back toward the shooter than one intended for a scope.
View Quote
I'm definitely getting a thermal that I can swap around to other rifles. I'd be really happy if FLIR dropped a 640 weapons mountable breach at Shot 2020. I'm intrigued by the idea of a clip on, but the "affordable" ones are giant and clunky looking, and the reasonably sized ones are like 15k lol.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Kel-Tec CMR30 .22 MAG with ACOG and FLIR T-70 clip-on

Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Kel-Tec CMR30 .22 MAG with ACOG and FLIR T-70 clip-on

http://www.phossil.com/thom/CMR30/CMR30%20T70.JPG
View Quote
Can I party with you?
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#29]
It’s a wicked night vermin rifle, blows dillos in half and takes out coyotes to 100 yards.

Plus it is suppressed now too
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Another 10-22 with LASTAC 0.1 mW IR laser for when wearing NODs

Link Posted: 1/7/2020 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
I got one of those cheap FLIR Scout TK units to experiment with and promptly sold it because it wouldn't differentiate a raccoon from the tree it was perched in. I could see it plain as day with my 14.

I'm sure more expensive thermals are better, but I have no experience there.

So far my preferred method of locating them, once the dog has barked them up a tree or have a rough area pinpointed, is to turn on the illuminator on my 14, or use the vampire scout light in IR mode. It reflects off their eyes and makes them really stand out. That's just my particular AO and threat though, I'm sure different critters in other areas are easier to locate by different means.

All I know is they aren't getting at my chickens and that's what really matters here.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Thermal works great on rats, mice, coons, dillos, etc.

They can run, but they cannot hide.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thermal works great on rats, mice, coons, dillos, etc.

They can run, but they cannot hide.
View Quote
Mice is what I shoot with the 22. I sit on the deck at night, 50 yards away and above the wife's garden and splash them through the IR Patrol.
I didn't want to say it until you did it and made it sound manly.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Spikes dedicated 22lr upper
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#35]
You guys made me do it. :(

Ordered a 4” cmmg barrel and bolt.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/oLUKkOv.jpg

4.5" .22lr.

View Quote
What trigger? Also any tuning problems?
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Beaver killing machine.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Just don’t google those exact terms in that order.

Looks excellent set up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#39]
This thread is easy to fap to.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What trigger? Also any tuning problems?
View Quote
Franklin. Didn't tune anything. If I'm doing a mag dump in binary it'll sometimes have this odd dead trigger malfunction. Hammer is back, trigger is dead, round remains unfired. But then it goes away when I charge it, albeit at the cost of ejecting a good round.

Got the trigger used, figured it could be a fun gimmick. Wouldn't put it on anything bigger, but I don't feel bad mag dumping 22lr. Anything else would get really pricey.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You guys made me do it. :(

Ordered a 4” cmmg barrel and bolt.
View Quote
Bolt for a dedicated upper, right? Not just the bolt that stops in a standard 556 barrel, right?
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Franklin. Didn't tune anything. If I'm doing a mag dump in binary it'll sometimes have this odd dead trigger malfunction. Hammer is back, trigger is dead, round remains unfired. But then it goes away when I charge it, albeit at the cost of ejecting a good round.

Got the trigger used, figured it could be a fun gimmick. Wouldn't put it on anything bigger, but I don't feel bad mag dumping 22lr. Anything else would get really pricey.
View Quote
Yea, I had a few of the echo triggers. Sold them due to the mim hammers starting to deform. I’ll try the franklin out. Seems like it would be really fun on a .22.
Quoted:

Bolt for a dedicated upper, right? Not just the bolt that stops in a standard 556 barrel, right?
View Quote
Right. I looked at them when right to bear had the Christmas special for 230. Sat on the fence and they were all gone when I went back.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 10:23:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yea, I had a few of the echo triggers. Sold them due to the mim hammers starting to deform. I’ll try the franklin out. Seems like it would be really fun on a .22.
Right. I looked at them when right to bear had the Christmas special for 230. Sat on the fence and they were all gone when I went back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

IMHO, a dedicated 22 upper is the way to go.

if it matters, i run Geissele SD-E triggers.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I have been asking here on ARF and a few other places about an extended rail for my 10/22 so I can mount a clip-on in front of a LPVO . Once member responded with what he put together using a bunch of risers and a Pulsar mount, but it was way to busy for me.

Others have suggested a Leapers Tactical Scout Slim Rail but some others have said it is flimsy. So I am not sure it would support the 1.7lb weight of a clip-on without bending a bit.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/81561/Leapers_jpg-1223915.JPG

I inquired with MDT to see if their Remington 700 extended rail could be adapted to a Ruger 10/22 and they said no.

For years I have been using a monoloc with an old Leupold 2-7 compact. The glass is not great so anything beyond 4x the center of the image gets bad.

Currently I am investigating if a NV rail can be incorporated into the stock of an after market Ruger stock, but not sure if the price will be tolerable.
View Quote
Check out the Engineered Silence chassis.
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/10/24/tfb-review-engineered-silence-chassis-for-10-22-takedown/

It is designed for takedowns but they make a adapter to use on non-takedown 10/22s.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks Solscud007
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 8:35:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Not meaning to hijack, but I’m thinking this build out and I really want to run a longer rail so I can use a cnvd.

What can would work well for using under a handguard? I’ve never set up a rifle like that, but seems to be the ticket here.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 9:50:56 AM EDT
[#47]
.22wmr I guess

An older setup, cz452..

Looked into a short barrel .22lr conversion for a form1 lower, always thought it would be fun and have practical use at night with nods and an ir laser.

Put it on the back burner for now tho, pretty invested in a V22 build.  With a Manners and efr rail up front, it looks to be exciting.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 10:40:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Not 22, but 9mm with my Flir PTS233.

killed a 353 (tape measure estimate) hog this week with it.

Large 9mm killed hog. PTS233
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:05:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
.22wmr I guess
https://i.imgur.com/5IQ0ki1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MeESHoH.jpg

An older setup, cz452..
https://i.imgur.com/lNL5Wdd.jpg

Looked into a short barrel .22lr conversion for a form1 lower, always thought it would be fun and have practical use at night with nods and an ir laser.

Put it on the back burner for now tho, pretty invested in a V22 build.  With a Manners and efr rail up front, it looks to be exciting.
View Quote
@shifty522

I have a CZ455 and am looking for a setup like that. What rail is on the forward clip-on?
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:56:36 AM EDT
[#50]
I have a Perst 1 on a 552 Speedmaster.  Funnest thing ever.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top