Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2020 12:37:46 AM EDT
I already have a good ballistic helmet set up with a shroud and earpro, but I want something to mount NV on when I don’t need it for serious social purposes. I don’t need an Ops Core, Team Wendy, or anything fancy, just something cheap and somewhat comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 2:43:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Skateboard helmet with ratchet mount
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 10:52:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Browse on eBay.  You didn't define cheap.  I got a new Ops Core FAST carbon for ~$400
like this one
Use the make an offer feature.
There are also airsoft replicas out there for less.
Here is one for $132
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had good luck with Lancer for like $50-60
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 2:09:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Doing some looking I found this. Are these any good?

https://www.protechelmet.com/products.asp?cat=14
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Amazon Product
  • ABS material. Lightweight, Durable,Hard Shell Design.
  • Simple installation and easy removal ,adjustable internal padding, replacement internal pad and headband set available.Adjustment Rear Dial Knob for Head Size adjustment.
  • Velcro Panels on right, left, and backside of helmet for Morale Patches, Nameplates and IR / Reflective Tabs.

Gaspian has been recommending this one in the SiOnyx thread

<ETA> Corrected the item, it's now correct.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I use the cheapo airsoft repros as a bump like listed above. However, I added a real metal shroud (an Ops Core) and 4D Deluxe pads. All parts are interchangeable with Ops Core.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#7]
This one.

I just ordered the linked helmet, it comes with a metal shroud as opposed to the plastic shrouds most air soft helmets come with. Also can fit larger heads as it states it fits anywhere from 21.5 to 25.5. Reviews were all favorable and it seems the best constructed of the lot.

Only noticeable difference is it’s a copy of the Crye Airframe as opposed to the more common copies of OpsCore Helmets.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 5:17:17 PM EDT
[#8]
These brand used to be the go to bump
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 5:24:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
These brand used to be the go to bump
View Quote
The only military bump helmets protec still sales to the public are not produced by Protec, those are as far as I can tell the Rothco branded bump helmets.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This one.

I just ordered the linked helmet, it comes with a metal shroud as opposed to the plastic shrouds most air soft helmets come with. Also can fit larger heads as it states it fits anywhere from 21.5 to 25.5. Reviews were all favorable and it seems the best constructed of the lot.

Only noticeable difference is it's a copy of the Crye Airframe as opposed to the more common copies of OpsCore Helmets.
View Quote
Let me know how you like it. I have a big head and I'm maxed out on my helmet and it's still tight. Would like something bigger
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Let me know how you like it. I have a big head and I'm maxed out on my helmet and it's still tight. Would like something bigger
View Quote
Will do comes in Monday and I'll post a mini review in this thread.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 8:23:12 PM EDT
[#12]
@JoeMal

Just got my Outry Airframe clone as well as my Sionyx In today and while this is my first bump helmet IMO it was surprisingly good quality for the price. Metal shroud had minimal play with my Rhino II/AKA2 mounting contraption. Size wise my fairly large head (23.7” head definitey had more room in there if one loosened the straps. Biggest knock on it would be the pad system but for the price I couldn’t reasonably complain as they are workable. Would recommend for anyone looking for a working NV mounting system fwithout breaking the bank. My color was black if that makes a difference.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Appreciate it.  Does it have an adjustable knob in the back?  Do you have room to tighten it down when being worn or is it fully open?
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Appreciate it.  Does it have an adjustable knob in the back?  Do you have room to tighten it down when being worn or is it fully open?
View Quote
It does not have the OCC Dial, purely adjustable through straps only. The buckles are somewhat able to manipulated alright while wearing but I wouldn’t call it great by any means.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:43:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a crye nightcap w/ a counterweight pouch. Using it with a single pvs 14 on a rhino I/polymer j-arm w/ about ~12-15oz iirc counterweight makes it real comfortable and very 'breathy'. If I add on top of it some razor slim walkers then it feels even better and more secure.

Entire setup could prolly be had:
~$80 nightcap + pouch
~$50 rhino
~free spare poly j arm
~$10-$15 counterweights
~$30 razer walkers

so around ~150 w/o the razers and ~180 with maybe less if you snag some deals

Since there was so much free space left in this crye pouch, I basically made it a "boo-boo" kit as well and threw in 2 AA's to prevent the counterweights from bouncing around.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 1:02:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
@JoeMal

Just got my Outry Airframe clone as well as my Sionyx In today and while this is my first bump helmet IMO it was surprisingly good quality for the price. Metal shroud had minimal play with my Rhino II/AKA2 mounting contraption. Size wise my fairly large head (23.7” head definitey had more room in there if one loosened the straps. Biggest knock on it would be the pad system but for the price I couldn’t reasonably complain as they are workable. Would recommend for anyone looking for a working NV mounting system fwithout breaking the bank. My color was black if that makes a difference.
View Quote
"night vision", Googles, and how the fuck does that scarf go in the rail?

At least the R's and L's are in the right spots

Link Posted: 1/7/2020 1:14:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

"night vision", Googles, and how the fuck does that scarf go in the rail?

At least the R's and L's are in the right spots

https://i.ibb.co/QJj8xBD/Screenshot-8.png
View Quote
It’s tacticool bro, but I never noticed the googles part, advertising aside it’s still nice out of the box, I’ll see how well it holds up long term.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 1:27:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It’s tacticool bro, but I never noticed the googles part, advertising aside it’s still nice out of the box, I’ll see how well it holds up long term.
View Quote
It's all good brother. I was checking them out on amazon and the pic f'n killed me, had me laughing my ass off. Funny part is, I have a buddy from Greece who calls them googles too. ETA: Now a US Citizen that is
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
www.amazon.com/dp/B07PYP11DJGaspian has been recommending this one in the SiOnyx thread

Corrected the item, it's now correct.
View Quote

I ordered one of these cheap bump helmets. It fits my big head ok but my Wilcox mount doesn't fit in the shroud.
I haven't decided if I'm going to take the dremel to it or send it back.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I ordered one of these cheap bump helmets. It fits my big head ok but my Wilcox mount doesn't fit in the shroud.
View Quote
Get a real Wilcox shroud. The ones that come with these helmets suck
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 9:34:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, that's a third option. I have a real Wilcox on my nightcap that I have been using. I suppose I could move that one over and decide if I need another.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I’ve had two lancers. They’re certainly not the greatest, but they work well and have had no issue with my Rhino mount.

I pulled that shitty counterweight system off in favor of another one, but still have my IR light mounted and it’s waiting for my 14s...

Link Posted: 1/13/2020 10:05:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I’ve had two lancers. They’re certainly not the greatest, but they work well and have had no issue with my Rhino mount.

I pulled that shitty counterweight system off in favor of another one, but still have my IR light mounted and it’s waiting for my 14s...

https://i.imgur.com/3W2AdIo.jpg
View Quote
What light mount is that you’re using with the FandyFire, curious about the counterweight system as well.

@Synyster06Gates
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 10:32:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What light mount is that you’re using with the FandyFire, curious about the counterweight system as well.

@Synyster06Gates
View Quote
@TexasBrushHunter

It’s just an offset 1” ring that I had left over from years ago. Works great. The counter weight in that setup is a TNVC Mohawk knock off and I just stuffed it with batteries. It was alright, but the Velcro sucks and didn’t want to stick well.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 11:25:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yes, that's a third option. I have a real Wilcox on my nightcap that I have been using. I suppose I could move that one over and decide if I need another.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. Not really an option. The styrofoam "padding" in this helmet is velcroed to stickers over the mounting bolts/nuts. Pretty much need to completely disassemble the helmet and scrape off the Velcro stickers to get the shroud off. Not worth the time for a crappy helmet. It's going back to Amazon.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 11:48:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The only military bump helmets protec still sales to the public are not produced by Protec, those are as far as I can tell the Rothco branded bump helmets.
View Quote
this is incorrect

freefall helmets are still produced by protec in the one of their oldest designs
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 11:50:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Nope. Not really an option. The styrofoam "padding" in this helmet is velcroed to stickers over the mounting bolts/nuts. Pretty much need to completely disassemble the helmet and scrape off the Velcro stickers to get the shroud off. Not worth the time for a crappy helmet. It's going back to Amazon.
View Quote
Might want to check out the helmet I posted earlier, has a metal shroud opposed to the cheap plastic shrouds.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 11:53:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

this is incorrect

freefall helmets are still produced by protec in the one of their oldest designs
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Screen cap of website
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:02:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:25:07 AM EDT
[#31]
My post in question was specifically in reference to the military style helmets listed on their website not all helmets.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:32:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My post in question was specifically in reference to the military style helmets listed on their website not all helmets.
View Quote
ditto.

eta: protechelmets aren't the same as pro-tec helmets
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 1:21:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This.

It has confused many a person over the years.

I've written several times on this subject before, but I'll go ahead and say it once more.

I'm all about saving money, but it's worth considering what helmets are for.

Yes, for putting NVDs on your head specific to this subforum, but then again, there are head-harnesses like the Crye Nightcap or Legacy Skullcrushers (should be a required rite of passage to spend a year using only a skull crusher under a PASGT before being allowed to graduate to Ops-Cores and Wilcox mounts ) if that's what you're looking to do only.

What a helmet is for is for protecting that shriveled gray thing rotting away in your skull, something that you may find yourself needing all the more when you start wandering around technical terrain with a forty-degree toilet paper tube field of view and no real ability to focus on both where you're going and where you're stepping at the same time.

Whether you're talking about plastic bump helmets or "knock-off" ballistics, even those who claim their shells have been tested in some sort of ballistics lab, I can almost guarantee you that what they're not being tested for--which high end helmets, and hell, even an old school Black Hawk Down-style Pro-Tec skateboard helmet is being tested for is impact protection.

Be honest, if you're even considering a knock-off helmet, are your chances higher of getting shot in the head or of falling down and bashing your skull against a rock? TBI is no joke, and I've seen guys of all experience levels take some ugly spills. I'm not trying to be a disapproving church lady scolding people for buying knock-off helmets, but it amazes me sometimes how far down head protection is on many people's lists of priorities when choosing a helmet.

~Augee
View Quote
I’d agree with that - but I’d bet the vast majority of people on this forum are using it solely for NVG mounting and LARPing rather than actual head protection.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I’d agree with that - but I’d bet the vast majority of people on this forum are using it solely for NVG mounting and LARPing rather than actual head protection.
View Quote
^^

Helmets have also been shown to do nothing to protect against concussions in almost every major contact sport. An example is hockey, which is a relatively similar helmet design.

Sure, you are gonna save your head discomfort with better pads, but the main protection that a bump helmet provides is from cracking your head open. Which almost any durable plastic can provide. I'd be more worried about twisting an ankle or hurting my wrist from a fall.

Many civilian users don't need to spend $500 on a bump helmet to walk around in a neighborhood, shoot in a friends field, or go hunting. They need something comfortable, stable, and affordable.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#37]
I would tend to agree that unless you just want a "gear holder" for the lowest possible price (valid, we're all adults, make a choice), you probably want to be able to access the testing data for blunt impact protection - if you want any at all.

The one good thing about Bumps - is that the prices between the "known" best (if that ^ $270 OpsCore price holds true - seeing $295, but even then...), and good competitors, is under $100. Here is the testing data from a competitor (abbreviated)

Test Spec. :AR/PD 10-02 Rev A with Change 6, 16 December 2013
Test Type: Blunt Impact
Test Requirements: 3.11
Procedure: 4.9.13
Equipment: Cadex Uni-Axial Monorail Impact Machine
Model: 1000_00_MIMA
Anvil Type: Hemispherical
DAQ Software: Version 6.9b, Last Updated Nov. 3, 2011

Test Procedure:
Conditioning: Ambient
Pre-Conditioning: 24 hours @ 20 +/- 5 degrees C and 50 +/- 20%RH
Impacts (14): 2 impacts at each of 7 locations greater than; 1 min. but less than; 2 min. apart
HPI: 2.30" (Large)
Velocity: 10.0 ft./sec (+/- 0.3 ft./sec)
Test Conditions: Range Temperature:70°F Range Humidity:48%
View Quote
So in this case, if you cared about saving $70, you should probably get the OpsCore Testing data and compare. If the OpsCore has better numbers (and the more the better), than even my frugal ass would probably spend the extra $70.
Bumps are waaaaay different than the tested IIIA Helmets for the same "Type" or "Style": $470 vs over $1400 (I'm not familiar with the $650 Gentex HC), than the Bump $200 vs $270 ($295?).
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

~Augee
View Quote
Well, just like the knockoff helmet, you still have to buy a shroud for the Nightcap too.

FWIW, I'm not just pulling this out of my ass. I have owned both the knockoff bumps and Ops Core ballistic helmets. The hardware is interchangeable. The pads are interchangeable. The rails and dial liner are even interchangeable.

I agree that the quality is not the same. But justifying $270 for a plastic helmet is hard to do for me, when the losses in quality provide little tangible difference between the products. Plenty of studies show that helmets have little effect on preventing brain injury from impact. The shell might split easier on a cheaper one I guess, but if you get hit with that much force you're in for a bad time with either helmet.

If you're buying ballistic, however, then get the best. lol
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 12:07:23 AM EDT
[#39]

Waiting for tax return sales.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Ok, so I’m in a situation where I’d like to utilize a couple different setups. I have an old ACH helmet that I’d like to make more comfortable (I’ve seen the ops core dial liner systems for these, are they worth it?).  I also have a CVC helmet shell, will any of the liners fit them?

I’ve also been interested in a bump helmet.  I want a couple of these, no fun being the only one wearing NODs or thermal..
I’m not opposed to getting an OpsCore helmet, but I’ve not seen them anywhere under $200.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:59:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This one.

Only noticeable difference is it’s a copy of the Crye Airframe as opposed to the more common copies of OpsCore Helmets.
View Quote
After a couple hours under my Crye Nightcap and feeling like I've been bashing my forehead against a wall, I've ordered the Outry from Amazon.
The Nightcap isn't a bad piece of kit -- it just doesn't work on my head. I've messed with the straps and counterweights, and it just wants to smash my forehead in.
(Single PVS14 with Wilcox L4 mount & shroud.)
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:41:35 PM EDT
[#42]
I run an Emerson Ops Core Maritime clone. 70 dollars has an occdial and a metal NVG should which on mine was very solid and tight.

Ive also got a protec a bravo.  I was totally underwhelmed by the protec.  Its nice enough but even compared to my emerson knock off it feels flimsy has hardware that protudes a good deal into the helmet and the padding sucked even compared to the Chinese knock off of an Opscore.

Im pretty sure the "advanced tactical helemt" on the Protechelemts.com website are those emerson clones of the opscores with the molded NVG shroud.

Both would do what i need them to but the emerson is a lot more comfortable to me.

And its done its job a few times moving in and out of tight spaces and exploring mines where ive bashed my head pretty good on low overheads.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
After a couple hours under my Crye Nightcap and feeling like I've been bashing my forehead against a wall, I've ordered the Outry from Amazon.
The Nightcap isn't a bad piece of kit -- it just doesn't work on my head. I've messed with the straps and counterweights, and it just wants to smash my forehead in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This one.

Helmet linked in the TexasBrushHunter quote above arrived. It fits my head AND my Wilcox mount!!! I don't love the two piece construction but it appears to me to be significantly better quality (removable pads vs. styrofoam) than the other knock-off helmet I sent back to Amazon.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#45]
so. the only "cheap bump helmet" you would consider costs over $1,000.

you can get a ops-core carbon helmet cheaper than that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Well, just like the knockoff helmet, you still have to buy a shroud for the Nightcap too.

FWIW, I'm not just pulling this out of my ass. I have owned both the knockoff bumps and Ops Core ballistic helmets. The hardware is interchangeable. The pads are interchangeable. The rails and dial liner are even interchangeable.

I agree that the quality is not the same. But justifying $270 for a plastic helmet is hard to do for me, when the losses in quality provide little tangible difference between the products. Plenty of studies show that helmets have little effect on preventing brain injury from impact. The shell might split easier on a cheaper one I guess, but if you get hit with that much force you're in for a bad time with either helmet.

If you're buying ballistic, however, then get the best. lol
View Quote
Claiming that studies show helmets have little effect on preventing brain injury from impact is just wrong, as shown by studies of bicycle and motorcycle  helmet usage. Helmets are less effective at preventing injuries in contact sports for a few reasons. Whiplash induced by body to body contact can be severe enough in sports like football to cause a concussion; obviously there's nothing a helmet can do to prevent injury in that case. Additionally, most helmets are designed to prevent severe, life threatening injuries. This requires a fairly stiff liner; much stiffer than is ideal for preventing  comparatively minor injuries like mild concussions. Minor injuries are much more common than severe ones in football, so the data will of course say that helmets don't do much to prevent those common injuries. To the point of this thread, if you're planning on playing football under NODs, then it probably doesn't matter what bump helmet you choose. If you're planning on activities that could cause a hard blow to the head then a helmet designed and tested to reduce impact forces can absolutely prevent injuries, or at least reduce their severity.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

so. the only "cheap bump helmet" you would consider costs over $1,000.

you can get a ops-core carbon helmet cheaper than that.
View Quote
It’s $120.00  
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It’s $120.00  
View Quote
i apologize.
the only link that worked in your post was the firearmblog post, I thought you were recommending the MTEK FLUX not the PTS Syndicate..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top