Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2019 10:28:30 PM EDT
I’ve done some searching and came down to these two options for a bump helmet.

I’ve read a lot of threads, and it seems that there are some complaints regarding the Ops-Core FAST high cut bump helmet in regards to the molded fixture. Here is one thread.  There was another thread discussing it and I can’t for the life of me find it.

I looked into less expensive helmets like the Protec, but not sure how much it protects your noggin and it has the same plastic molded shroud/attachment for NVG.

The Team Wendy Exfil LTP, same $300 price-tag as the Ops-Core, but has an aluminum shroud for attaching NVG (don’t have any yet) and I would want to use it for GoPro.

Yes, I’m well aware of Team Hillary’s, I mean Team Wendy’s reputation.

Any advice?
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I’ve done some searching and came down to these two options for a bump helmet.

I’ve read a lot of threads, and it seems that there are some complaints regarding the Ops-Core FAST high cut bump helmet in regards to the molded fixture. Here is one thread.  There was another thread discussing it and I can’t for the life of me find it.

I looked into less expensive helmets like the Protec, but not sure how much it protects your noggin and it has the same plastic molded shroud/attachment for NVG.

The Team Wendy Exfil LTP, same $300 price-tag as the Ops-Core, but has an aluminum shroud for attaching NVG (don’t have any yet) and I would want to use it for GoPro.

Yes, I’m well aware of Team Hillary’s, I mean Team Wendy’s reputation.

Any advice?
View Quote
I’ve had both for several years - a Base jump and Exfil LTP. The shroud on my BJ has held up fine. I don’t expect it to be a problem with typical use. I like both but prefer the TW. I like the QD rails & QD ear pro and find the boa system to be more comfortable. They’re both great helmets. Whichever one you get, add the 4D pads, it’s money very well spent.

Edit to add: skip the Protec IMO
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 10:42:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Wait so you question how much a protec will protect your noggin when they’ve been around far longer than both Opscore and TW? Also considering how the military used Protec for ages as a bump lids.

That aside, depends on your tastes, fitment and wallet. My head doesn’t like Opscore so I find my TW lid more comfortable.

Besides, you can throw any shroud you want on a protec, granted it’s drilled already. Even if not, then it’s not that difficult.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Missed the GoPro part. I snagged this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K561GGK?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

And it works great. I had to add some painters tape to the back of it where it goes in the helmet. Works perfect on both the OC and TW.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 12:02:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Can you even get a Protec?
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 12:19:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wait so you question how much a protec will protect your noggin when they’ve been around far longer than both Opscore and TW? Also considering how the military used Protec for ages as a bump lids.

That aside, depends on your tastes, fitment and wallet. My head doesn’t like Opscore so I find my TW lid more comfortable.

Besides, you can throw any shroud you want on a protec, granted it’s drilled already. Even if not, then it’s not that difficult.
View Quote
@mr_kong

Oops.  I was looking at their NVG compatible ones on their site but they’re not made in the U.S. (China) and it isn’t made by them Pro-Tec.  I didn’t mean their other lines.  Do they make their bump helmets in the U.S.?

Thank you all for the rapid responses.

@will-1

On the TNVC website, the don’t list TW for the 4D pads.  Do you know if it’s compatible, and if so, which drop-down menu choice you have to pick?  There’s one for Ops-Core and then for ACH/ECH/Crye/MTEK.

@Kpog  Thank you for the link.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 12:48:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@will-1

On the TNVC website, the don’t list TW for the 4D pads.  Do you know if it’s compatible, and if so, which drop-down menu choice you have to pick?  There’s one for Ops-Core and then for ACH/ECH/Crye/MTEK.
View Quote
Pick the ACH/ECH/etc for the TW
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 1:31:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Oops.  I was looking at their NVG compatible ones on their site but they’re not made in the U.S. (China) and it isn’t made by them Pro-Tec.  I didn’t mean their other lines.  Do they make their bump helmets in the U.S.?
View Quote
The US made ones are LEO/MIL/GOV sales only. Been that way for about a year.

I had to track one down at a gun show used.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 1:36:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Team Hillary comments aside, the Team Wendy rail doesn't accommodate a third of the accessories of the new Ops Core.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 1:39:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Team Hillary comments aside, the Team Wendy rail doesn't accommodate a third of the accessories of the new Ops Core.
View Quote
Do you have any more information on this?

I'm in a similar boat, trying to decide between TW, OPSCORE, and MTEK Carbons.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 1:54:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I prefer the TW. I also use the SARA: Sordin ARC Rail Adapter from Iron Forged Concepts (now Unity Tactical) with the Mark rail kit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 3:36:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 3:36:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 8:21:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@will-1

Got it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 8:41:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
@C-4

Try your luck with Botach? Lol
Not sure where PT makes their standard line of helmets, but if I had to guess probably not US. But if you’re really not constrained by budget, just grab a TW, imo.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#16]
If you’re going OpsCore, spring for the Carbon just for the updated/improved/better shroud.

The FAST BUMP I have is pretty wiggly.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I waited for 3 months for my ops core bump to ship and was told it still might be another 2 months before it did.

I cancelled and ordered TW. Got there in 2 days.

Something to consider if you’re in a hurry.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
@C-4

Not sure where PT makes their standard line of helmets, but if I had to guess probably not US. But if you’re really not constrained by budget, just grab a TW, imo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@C-4

You can try Botach. Last fall they listed all the PT helms as in stock. I ordered. Nothing for a few weeks, called BK. "Backordered 12 weeks", no actual clue on ETA. I had my money returned ASAP.

Also, it appears the "new" PT A-Bravo X helm for 2019 is still on preorder and I've not heard of a single person receiving their order. The Bravo X was supposedly the one they were releasing for Civilian sales.

IMO the PT A-Bravo is not rigid enough for regular NV use. I still keep one for GoPro and recreational use.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is the only thing that pisses me off about team Wendy Helmets I actually think it’s a better design than arc rails but most of the accessory’s are made for arc it’s the standard. With that said with some DIY mods you can get most things to work

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/DIY-Scout-Pro-Tac-Mount-Team-Wendy/18-490918/
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#20]
No complaints about my 3 bump helmets. Slap some 4D pads in there and call it good

I wear mine 5-8 hours per night when I go hunting and don't have hotspots or issues wearing the bump that long. I'm not sure what TW does better comfort-wise but I have zero issues with the bump
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This is the only thing that pisses me off about team Wendy Helmets I actually think it’s a better design than arc rails but most of the accessory’s are made for arc it’s the standard. With that said with some DIY mods you can get most things to work

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/DIY-Scout-Pro-Tac-Mount-Team-Wendy/18-490918/
View Quote
Thanks for posting that @smeeg that’s awesome
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No complaints about my 3 bump helmets. Slap some 4D pads in there and call it good

I wear mine 5-8 hours per night when I go hunting and don't have hotspots or issues wearing the bump that long. I'm not sure what TW does better comfort-wise but I have zero issues with the bump
View Quote
@TX-Zen

Which brand do you have?
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#24]
@C-4

Ops Core for me. I don't have a need for a ballistic helmet at the moment and while people say good things about the fit of the TW it has enough downsides for me that it's not worth the effort over Ops Core

Link Posted: 9/13/2019 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The "soft" suspension of the Boa is arguably more comfortable to some people than the more rigid Ops-Core suspension, and more forgiving in terms of adjustment.

For lighter loads, this can be more comfortable, but IMHO, the Ops-Core semi-rigid liner is much more stable than the Boa, both the side fit-bands and the more rigid nape piece (the Ops-Core 4D Pads come with a nape pad as well ) lock the helmet to your head, and maintain a more stable platform--I do 90% of NV activities with an unbuckled chinstrap and a tightened down Ops-Core without any issues whatsoever.

~Augee
View Quote
After you brought that up to me (last time) I swapped back and forth between the OC and TW to see for myself. With a lot of movement when stowed with the TW, I was finding my Sentinels to not be the right place when bringing them back down. I had to adjust the helmet to line them back up. Didn't have the same problem with the OC. That was with the TW and 4D pads versus the OC with standard pads, so not sure if the 4D pads have something to do with it. I snagged another set of 4D pads from ya'll for the OC. Guess I'll find out this weekend if the pads affect it at all or if it's all in the headbands.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
@C-4

Ops Core for me. I don't have a need for a ballistic helmet at the moment and while people say good things about the fit of the TW it has enough downsides for me that it's not worth the effort over Ops Core

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/73202/20190912_134644-1087735.jpg
View Quote
IM sent.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 5:14:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

After you brought that up to me (last time) I swapped back and forth between the OC and TW to see for myself. With a lot of movement when stowed with the TW, I was finding my Sentinels to not be the right place when bringing them back down. I had to adjust the helmet to line them back up. Didn't have the same problem with the OC. That was with the TW and 4D pads versus the OC with standard pads, so not sure if the 4D pads have something to do with it. I snagged another set of 4D pads from ya'll for the OC. Guess I'll find out this weekend if the pads affect it at all or if it's all in the headbands.
View Quote
Just spent 3 hours wearing the Ops Core with the 4D pads. It’s definitely more stable than the TW with 4D pads. I swapped a couple times and used the head shake test (exaggerated no movement) to confirm. I still prefer the TW it is more comfortable but if I was doing a lot of movement like running etc I’d pick the OC. Maybe this helps somebody.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 7:21:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, we still hate Team Wendy.  I'm still using one, but would only buy a used one from now on. Won't be sending them any more money.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just spent 3 hours wearing the Ops Core with the 4D pads. It’s definitely more stable than the TW with 4D pads. I swapped a couple times and used the head shake test (exaggerated no movement) to confirm. I still prefer the TW it is more comfortable but if I was doing a lot of movement like running etc I’d pick the OC. Maybe this helps somebody.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. I’m considering tryin to horse-trade for an OpsCore Carbon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top