Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2019 12:57:47 AM EDT
Dim, almost looked like a bug. Way up there, satellite height. goes across the sky fast af. No blinky lights, heading 280 turns to 180 in a wide, airplane like arc. No noise. SO FAST. No visible without nvg

Another: bright af light, like satellite, slow, but fades in then fades out. Visible w or w/out nvg. Bright, then dark, then bright, then dark.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:04:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Another: bright af light, like satellite, slow, but fades in then fades out. Visible w or w/out nvg. Bright, then dark, then bright, then dark.
View Quote
THis one at least I can help you with.
Lots of dead satellites lose control and start to tumble, causing the bright-dark-bright effect.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 6:12:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Me and a buddy also saw some weird UFO like shit kinda of like what you describe one night, though they were visible without NODs looking at them with NODs made it way cooler.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 6:30:51 AM EDT
[#3]
satellites don't make left and right turns, don't speed up and slow down, or move at high rates of speed..

Dont know what they are, but they sure as shit are not satellites, the ISS or Space Shuttle Door Gunners..
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 6:34:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Dim, almost looked like a bug. Way up there, satellite height. goes across the sky fast af. No blinky lights, heading 280 turns to 180 in a wide, airplane like arc. No noise. SO FAST. No visible without nvg

View Quote
Only 9 more days, lol
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#5]
When i first got mine I went out to a large unlit field and looked up. Saw a weird boomerang shaped object, almost like a B52 without the center fuselage. No lights blinking, no sound, moving due north at a faster than normal speed. No clue what it was, but it was pretty neat.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 7:46:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When i first got mine I went out to a large unlit field and looked up. Saw a weird boomerang shaped object, almost like a B52 without the center fuselage. No lights blinking, no sound, moving due north at a faster than normal speed. No clue what it was, but it was pretty neat.
View Quote
Many years ago I read an article in Popular Mechanics of an Air Force project that was flying a large boomerang-shaped airship. This was 20-30 years ago.
Might have been that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 7:47:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
satellites don't make left and right turns, don't speed up and slow down, or move at high rates of speed..

Dont know what they are, but they sure as shit are not satellites, the ISS or Space Shuttle Door Gunners..
View Quote
The second one's probably a dead satellite.

The first one is probably something in testing....

Link Posted: 9/11/2019 7:49:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lockheed drone?
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 8:09:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Wings were swept back more.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Birds. I seen some pretty cool things doing what you described, but after some observation determined bird.
They looked just like a satllight. It would go across the sky real fast in a straight line then turn. Lack of depth perspective against the sky and you have no idea if it's in space or 50 feet above you.
I started going out when there was real high strat clouds out.
If the object disappears behind the clouds you can be pretty sure it is high and fast. If it stays visible with the clouds then you know it's a bird or bat or bug. The faster it goes across the sky from horizon to horizon the closer it is to you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 10:21:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I saw one that was pretty low to the ground. Roughly the size, altitude, and speed of a Cessna, or maybe a helicopter. But it did not have running lights or flashers. It perplexed me but I was thinking it was some military bird with its lights off for some reason. Watched it move slowly for a few minutes, it got a bit closer, but not close enough to see what it was.

Then it emitted a bright flash (it dimmed my pvs-14), and it flew incredibly fast at a 90 degree angle. It was past the horizon within maybe a half second.

My jaw dropped. I'm not a UFO crazy person but I have a hard time explaining that one.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I saw a dark, dim satellite go horizon to horizon in about 3 seconds, varying in brightness as it went.
Then I watched another one a few minutes later zig zag across the sky at the same speed,
I was so excited to finally have a UFO story!

Bats.

Satellites and UFOs don't get brighter with supplemental IR.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure I saw a Star Destroyer half cloaked in low orbit a few weeks ago.... LOL

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/92237/stardestroyer-1086667.jpg

My buddy said "Vader's on that ship", but I told him not to get jittery, that there was a lot of Star Destroyers.....
View Quote
That's silly.
Star destroyers don't have cloak tech... Except for the Terror.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 2:45:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Bats and bird. Owls in particular are really creepy at night. In suburban areas, they get lit up from underneath and really stand out on NV. Insects really stand out against the sky on thermal too.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Bats and bird. Owls in particular are really creepy at night. In suburban areas, they get lit up from underneath and really stand out on NV. Insects really stand out against the sky on thermal too.
View Quote
Moth shadows from ground lights have freaked me out a couple of times I'll admit, lol.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Speaking of owls. I was sitting in my tree/deer stand early one morning with my PVS-14 on my head, probably about 1.5 hours before sunrise. All of a sudden this giant owl flies straight at me. Thought he was going to land right on me. Honestly, it scared the crap out of me it happened so fast. He lands on a branch a foot from my left shoulder. I let him sit there for a while just taking in the experience.

Then I snapped my head and looked straight at him face to face. I wondered if he was going to claw the crap out of me, but his eyes grew twice the size and he panic flapped his wings backwards out of the tree. Scared the crap out of him. He probably tells the story to his buddies to this day.

It really was a cool experience. It's one reason I always wear my PVS when bowhunting. There is a nature show going on during that part of the morning and evening.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Op, definitely USS Hillenkoeter
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Is it safe to stare at an owl’s eyes with supplemental/built in IR? Their eyes really stand out when I happen to scan across some trees and I’ll watch them for a bit, but I’m nervous about potentially damaging their vision.

Edit:  Also just remembered I had some video of a satellite moving across the sky. At least that’s what I assume it is. Not flashing, not visible with naked eye and moving at a reasonable speed.

Link Posted: 9/12/2019 12:51:49 AM EDT
[#26]
I was passing through Kandahar in 2012, sitting on the ramp of a C-17 smoking a cigarette while waiting for weather to clear. When I saw one of those take off. At the time I had no idea they existed. Could only describe it as a min B-2 bomber with a single engine in the middle. Seen some pretty cool lower cost drones up in Kurdistan recently
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 12:59:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Saw what looked like that exact thing over Wichita.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 10:00:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Independence Day i went to the beach (ocean, not lake) to launch some fireworks with family. Afterwards, i wanted to show my grandfather my new night vision, so i donned the helmet and set it up for him. In doing so, i looked at the stars to see what was up there, but when i did, i was really confused. Around 2215 i saw what appeared to be two satellites moving towards each other, up from the horizon about 60° apart on the horizon, one faster than the other. They were not visible with the naked eye.I was like “thats neat” but then they started getting closer and closer, and it looked like they may crash, but right before they did, they stopped. Just, mid-air, stopped. Then the left one moved vertically, the other horizontally, the left one stopped again, the horizontal-moving one again changed direction and went the exact way the other one had came from, in a straight line. Then, after a good 10 seconds, the top one started to move and turn, then continued off in a straight line.

I always thought those “alien hunters” were stupid or just playing around, i never thought there was really anything in the sky that basic logic couldnt explain away, until i saw this. Im not shouting “ALIEN!” but i’m still very confused as to what i saw. I wish i was recording! Planes dont make sense, because they stood still. Can satellites sit still? Do the thrusters have the capability to do that?
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Independence Day i went to the beach (ocean, not lake) to launch some fireworks with family. Afterwards, i wanted to show my grandfather my new night vision, so i donned the helmet and set it up for him. In doing so, i looked at the stars to see what was up there, but when i did, i was really confused. Around 2215 i saw what appeared to be two satellites moving towards each other, up from the horizon about 60° apart on the horizon, one faster than the other. They were not visible with the naked eye.I was like “thats neat” but then they started getting closer and closer, and it looked like they may crash, but right before they did, they stopped. Just, mid-air, stopped. Then the left one moved vertically, the other horizontally, the left one stopped again, the horizontal-moving one again changed direction and went the exact way the other one had came from, in a straight line. Then, after a good 10 seconds, the top one started to move and turn, then continued off in a straight line.

I always thought those “alien hunters” were stupid or just playing around, i never thought there was really anything in the sky that basic logic couldnt explain away, until i saw this. Im not shouting “ALIEN!” but i’m still very confused as to what i saw. I wish i was recording! Planes dont make sense, because they stood still. Can satellites sit still? Do the thrusters have the capability to do that?
View Quote
I’ve seen some weird stuff, but I just can’t blame it on anything other than the gov.

Think of the sr71 or other high performance gear that is so old the original pilots are in retirement homes.

The stuff we don’t know about now adays must be amazing.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#31]
I've seen a couple really odd things under NVGs out in Junction Texas

On two different nights it looked like thin sheets of black fog / flat thin black clouds were flying overhead about 200 feet or so, South to North at super high speed. They would come from the South tree line about a mile away and be gone 5 miles or so over the North tree line in 3 or 4 seconds. The first time we were about 500 yards to the East of them flying, and the second time they were right overhead. In my experience clouds and fog looks white under NVG but these sheets were distinctly black, wispy thin but very long and wide. My buddy thought it could have been a shadow effect from a radio tower mounted strobe light, but we've never seen anything like it even though the light is on every time we hunt

Another time a couple months ago in Junction there was a break in the clouds on the North horizon and we saw what looked like 7 vertical contrails almost perfectly spaced with each other, but they were thin, super distinct and had no wavy or diffuse look like contrails do. Even brand new contrails aren't that distinct. I have no idea how far they were but the gap in the clouds made it seem like they were a good 5-10 miles tall. The weird thing is if they were vertical coming from the horizon and kept on going up they would have been ginormously huge. I've never seen anything like that in the sky without nods, ever
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Did they kind of look like this, saw these at the Marfa Lights Viewing area looking north east toward Ft Davis. The vertical white streaks at the right and left?

Link Posted: 9/19/2019 4:51:55 AM EDT
[#35]
but then they started getting closer and closer, and it looked like they may crash, but right before they did, they stopped. Just, mid-air, stopped. Then the left one moved vertically, the other horizontally, the left one stopped again, the horizontal-moving one again changed direction and went the exact way the other one had came from, in a straight line. Then, after a good 10 seconds, the top one started to move and turn, then continued off in a straight line.
View Quote
Could be explained as a couple of helicopters practicing night time rendezvous for aerial refueling...
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:37:56 AM EDT
[#36]
I saw something like this about a month ago.  More boomerang shaped though

night vision / infrared ufo 002
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#37]
I had seen the same shaped object and it had the lights too, flew over a trailer I used to rent. It was very quiet.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XevJR7biQE8
View Quote
Were the lights visible to the naked eye?
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unknown.  It crossed the sky in about 15 seconds.  I thought about taking them off, but was afraid I wouldn't be able to find it again.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#40]
This had me a little weirded out. I’m pretty sure this was the night SpaceX launched their first batch of satellites.

No idea how to embed a video
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This had me a little weirded out. I’m pretty sure this was the night SpaceX launched their first batch of satellites.

View Quote
That’s a weird one for sure. Not like any SpaceX launch that I’ve seen with all those dots chasing the long line...
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:20:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I do believe you guys have motivated me to go out sky-watching tonight with my PVS14s!

Thanks!

What are you using to record, btw?
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:23:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This had me a little weirded out. I'm pretty sure this was the night SpaceX launched their first batch of satellites.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This had me a little weirded out. I'm pretty sure this was the night SpaceX launched their first batch of satellites.

Quoted:

What the f*ck....x2
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:33:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yup, you're seeing the trail of Starlink satellites. Very cool video too. Wanted to view them under NV right after the launch but didn't get a chance.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:36:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
That’s almost certainly the starlink satellites being deployed. It shat them out in a tight line and they gradually spread out over the next few days. I think it was 60 or so sats for that 1st mission.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:36:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
yep, starlink. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=space+x+satellite+string&view=detail&mid=05203741C6A51F0A200705203741C6A51F0A2007&FORM=VIRE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top