Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2019 10:37:36 PM EDT
Has anyone seen these wavy lines on the image of a WP tube? This photo is of an L3 filmless tube from an astronomy forum, and I have a Photonis WP tube that exhibits the same artifacts , but only in very high light situations. edit - If you right click on the pic and select "view image" you can enlarge it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 12:00:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Never, and I have looked at a LOT of tubes.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:02:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup.

I purchased THREE L3 unfilmed WP tubes a few years ago and TWO of them show this pattern.

It's called 'moire' BTW.

It's not considered a defect.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:08:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yup.

I purchased THREE L3 unfilmed WP tubes a few years ago and TWO of them show this pattern.

It's called 'moire' BTW.

View Quote
Lol, very interesting. I wonder what IS considered a defect? (Not a comment on your tube, OP, just in general, to this noob, it seems every possible flaw is considered 'normal' when it comes to NV).
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 2:04:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yup.

It's called 'moire' BTW.

View Quote
Lol, I think this is your photo, It`s from the cloudynights forum
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 2:36:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Interesting, it seems that moire is some kind of interference pattern that is common in digital photography and CRT screens, but why would it affect intensifier tubes? I didn`t think there are any scan lines on the phosphor screen or a diffraction grating inside the tube, maybe the pores of the MCP are acting like one? And why only WP tubes?
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 4:46:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I have two L3 filmless WP and don’t have that. In real high light conditions just some minor fixed pattern noise.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:21:51 PM EDT
[#7]
The fiber inverter can, under certain circumstances, act as a diffraction grating of sorts as it has a fixed finely spaced light transmissive and opaque structure. Never seen the MCP act as a grating if the wavelength is below the cutoff for GaAs. Now with something past that, say 940nm, seeing a diffraction pattern is possible.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Are you referring to the chicken wire up top or the horizontal striations?
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 11:48:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 11:53:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He's referring to the wavy horizontal striations. Never seen that before, almost reminds me of fingerprints, but across the whole shebang
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you referring to the chicken wire up top or the horizontal striations?
He's referring to the wavy horizontal striations. Never seen that before, almost reminds me of fingerprints, but across the whole shebang
Yeah, I was gonna say it looks like a bigass thumb print.  Honestly I had to go back and look closer to see it, didn't notice right away.  Do they shimmer/move when viewed live?  Luckily the only 'lines' I've seen in my filmless WP duals is the streaks from a high light source like full moon or street lights.  Freaked me out and I thought I damaged them the first time  I do have a bit of roaming dirt behind one of the lenses though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 12:54:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Lol, I think this is your photo, It`s from the cloudynights forum
View Quote
Yes it is my pic.

The wavy pattern is fixed and generally only visible under moderately bright conditions.

Want to see some more pics taken with this tube?

Check out these shots...
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 12:45:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Wow those are impressive. Maybe I should leave some thumb prints on mine too
View Quote
Lol, oh man I wonder if that’s what it is
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 5:11:22 AM EDT
[#15]
W new change of ownership L3 is probably got a lot of rookies unable to say no. RMA that shit they cooked the tube so hard it's gone plaid
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Lol, oh man I wonder if that’s what it is
View Quote
Lol, I thought that at first when I saw it on my Photonis tube, but then I found the image of the L3 tube with the same defect, so I pulled mine and cleaned it.... still there. It`s defiantly a flaw  if some tubes have it and others don't, sort of like the "dirty cathode" defect no one talks about...
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 3:19:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
W new change of ownership L3 is probably got a lot of rookies unable to say no. RMA that shit they cooked the tube so hard it's gone plaid
View Quote
We don't even have a new sign out front.  ;-)   It's the folks in Roanoke that are being sold off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top