Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2019 6:31:02 AM EDT
So it seems that 2019/2020 is going to be the year of dual tubes for both branches, with the Army adopting the L3 Enhanced Night Vision Goggle – Binocular (ENVG-B), and the Marines going for the Harris F5032. I'm curious as to what's the general opinion of these systems on here, is this a step in the right direction or something else? I have to say I like the idea behind the Army's new system, but I feel like its going to weigh a ton and get broke real quick.  The Marines system seems like a much more effect system but the ruggedness and survivability when given to junior enlisted may be an issue. So what say the experts on here?

L3 ENVG-B/ Army

Harris F5032/ Marines with possible thermal attachments

Link Posted: 9/10/2019 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Shew that ENVG isn't going to win awards for design. Would love to play with one though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like they increased the thermal objective size from 19mm to 25mm+. I presume they’re running either 17um or 12um thermal sensors. If 12um, the larger objective will focus more photons on the sensor, which should yield better performance.

I’d like to try a set to see how it stacks up against the single-tube ENVG-III.

Aside from complexity, expense, endurance, longevity, battery life, etc — I don’t know why the Marines would elect to not go with fusion technology. The capability of good latest-generation fusion will make any user wonder how they ever got along in the Jurassic period of NV when it was just lame  ol’ dual tube WPs.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I have a hook up on the Harris the Marines are fielding. Still opting for the DTNVG tho, because with the Harris unit you have to get Harris thin filmed tubes to go with it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 7:58:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting. I was an ENVG-3 tech for L3 when I worked there.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 12:06:52 AM EDT
[#6]
This is the first I have seen of the mock up for ENVG-B.  Looks like the mutant love child of the BNVD (PVS-31) and FGS (PSQ-36)

PVS-31 is fairly rugged, and a lot lighter than the PVS-15.  FGS is just cool, but expensive.  This could be a nice system.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:04:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A solid step in the right direction IMO.

I assume the Harris units will come with WP tubes as well?
View Quote
Everything I'm seeing is yes.

I should also add that according to a few articles, the Marines will have a separate thermal attachment for their new night vision, so probably some version of the PAS-29 COTI or E-COTI.

I added some additional photos that I found floating around on the web. Most of them seem to confirm how much of a pain the new ENVG-B will be. All the pictures of it in the stowed position make it look like its gonna hang up on every damn thing, plus really throw the balance of the helmet off.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 4:59:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm no expert, but hope it helps the good guys stay alive to kill bad guys. After I got my first Photonis PVS14 I let my cousin's kid (current Army Infantry) take a look through it. He said it was way better than what they were training with, which I was shocked to hear. Is the average grunt's NV equipment that outdated?
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 5:03:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have... thoughts about these programs.

The Marine Corps' Squad BNVG is indeed intended to have a COTI component in the works as well, that may >cough< affect downstream commercial availability of certain other products.

~Augee
View Quote
I had a feeling you'd have some insight on these programs.  Anything you'd be able or willing to provide?
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 12:22:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Should've just gone with white 31s.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Should've just gone with white 31s.
View Quote
That or go with something like the RNVG. Would make them pretty durable and less prone to breakage. I think one of the TNVC guys on here had mentioned how stripped down and delicate the 31's were, so that makes them less of an option for big military. Doesn't do anyone any good if the damn things are always broken.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 1:37:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone know the proper designation for the new ENVG-Bs?

You know, like PVS/PAS/PSQ-number?

They do look heavy as hell.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I am quite surprised the Marines went with a Greek made night vision system.

https://www.theon.com/nyx

Harris just supplies and installs the tubes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 1:54:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Meanwhile...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/468022/AF192838-0B97-462D-BAF7-80BA6490AA7D-1095740.jpg

“Look at what I made at school today, ma!”

~Augee
View Quote
How much does that weigh?
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks heavy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 4:35:42 PM EDT
[#23]
None of this looks Marine Proof or like it will survive a week in the jungle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

33.9 ounces (2.12 lbs) self-contained with all onboard batteries installed, 12 hours of NV life and ~4 hours of thermal battery life.

I don't remember if I've seen an actual weight published for the ENVG-B yet, but the threshold weight was 2.5 lbs (target weight 1.5 lbs), and my suspicion is that they're not significantly lower than the threshold weight, otherwise they'd be talking up the system's light weight. IIRC, it's also only got about 7.5 hours of battery life, though I believe that can be extended by turning off the thermal channel/augmented reality features.

The FGE and GPNVG are both in the 30 ounce range as well, and the Sentinel with ball-detent and E-COTI hovers right about at 27 ounces (26.95).

~Augee
View Quote
That is heavy but not terrible for what you’re getting there.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:30:47 AM EDT
[#25]
does this mean the market is about to be flooded with surplus pvs-14's??!?!

Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
I see what you guys tried to do there retrofit ACH/ECH Helmets with Ops Core Mission Configurable Helmet Cover. and upgrade the PVs-14 with your bridge add E coti and you have an amazing cable system for a fraction of the cost. Too bad they didn’t go for this would have saved tax payers a bunch of $ and gave the boots on the ground a very capable system.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I see what you guys tried to do there retrofit ACH/ECH Helmets with Ops Core Mission Configurable Helmet Cover. and upgrade the PVs-14 with your bridge add E coti and you have an amazing cable system for a fraction of the cost. Too bad they didn’t go for this would have saved tax payers a bunch of $ and gave the boots on the ground a very capable system.
View Quote
Still may get used someplace. There is video from last year of Recon Marines wearing dual -14’s on the Night Vision Devices S-Mount bridge. Most of the other guys had -31’s but there’s still plenty of -14’s laying around.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
does this mean the market is about to be flooded with surplus pvs-14's??!?!

https://images2.vudu.com/background/6831-576a.jpg
View Quote
As if. They'll sink them to the bottom of the ocean before they let us lowly civilians have them. They won't even let us have their old beat up Aimpoints, so they're not about to let us have gen III night vision.

Even if they did, though, they would probably be pretty beat up. The next gen night vision will slowly replace the PVS 14s, which will be kept in circulation for less important units, training, etc. By the time we got our hands on them they would be pretty well used up, and probably cost a small fortune. I'm guessing 1500 plus for some pretty nasty tubes, 2500 plus for clean ones. A lot of people would pay it just for that milspec rating.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

As if. They'll sink them to the bottom of the ocean before they let us lowly civilians have them. They won't even let us have their old beat up Aimpoints, so they're not about to let us have gen III night vision.

Even if they did, though, they would probably be pretty beat up. The next gen night vision will slowly replace the PVS 14s, which will be kept in circulation for less important units, training, etc. By the time we got our hands on them they would be pretty well used up, and probably cost a small fortune. I'm guessing 1500 plus for some pretty nasty tubes, 2500 plus for clean ones. A lot of people would pay it just for that milspec rating.
View Quote
Probably just going to give them to the various foreign militaries we train and equip.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#32]
In regards to the TNVC setup as they suggested, how expensive would it be to convert old beat up 14's to white phosphor? If they could make it cost effective that would be a good way to upgrade rear echelon units that don't need the latest hotness.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:26:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 8:04:35 AM EDT
[#34]
What are some of them wearing on the plate carrier that looks like a cell phone case? The female soldier has a cable ran to it also.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 8:58:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What are some of them wearing on the plate carrier that looks like a cell phone case? The female soldier has a cable ran to it also.
View Quote
That's exactly what it is. It's a phone case.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 3:24:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's the Nett warrior system. Think a Blue Force Tracker, but in a phone.

https://www.peosoldier.army.mil/docs/pmswar/Nett-Warrior-Poster-061512.pdf
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's the Nett warrior system. Think a Blue Force Tracker, but in a phone.

https://www.peosoldier.army.mil/docs/pmswar/Nett-Warrior-Poster-061512.pdf
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 8:29:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote
that case is also good for using a refular phone for navigation and comms/texting sharing images. Lots of Civ. medics have them so they can talk to the hospital with both hands free.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top