Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2019 7:13:34 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I have seen it advertised that the Act in Black DTNVG runs on a CR123 but comes with an adapter to use an AA battery. Is this accurate? Anyone have more info or experience running the AA adapter (if it exist)?

Here are two links mentioning the adapter:

https://www.blacksheepwarrior.com/act-in-black-dtnvg-announced/

https://www.modarmory.com/product/act-in-black-dtnvg-dual-tube-night-vision-goggle-in-4g-white-phosphor/

As always Thank you guys for your willingness to answer questions.

-Mike
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 6:54:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like the Armasight BNVD is that way. Basically there's an insert inside the battery cap that you can unscrew and flip around and put back in which changes the form factor of the battery holder.

Video review
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 6:53:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like the Armasight BNVD is that way. Basically there's an insert inside the battery cap that you can unscrew and flip around and put back in which changes the form factor of the battery holder.

Video review
View Quote
DTNVG ?
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The only other option I have seen is the remote pack some guy on instagram had. Plugs into the battery port and then double AA's on the aux battery pack.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The DTNVG AA adapter never really ended up being produced.

There may be some prototypes floating around, and possibly even a couple examples "in the wild" over in Europe, but the demand simply has not really been there, unless it's for a specific military requirement being generated with outdated paradigms about batteries , the CR123 is frankly the better power source.

There have been some efforts to adapt the DTNVG for external battery power supplies, but again, with 30 hours+ life on the CR123, it just hasn't really been a big priority. That being said, since the L3 BNVD (PVS-31) has become well known, everyone and their mother seems to believe that NVDs now need to have an external battery power supply capability--and as a long time ANVIS guy, I'm a big fan, don't get me wrong--but people often take things to ridiculous extremes, forgetting that the BNVD is single-AA powered, which means a far reduced battery life, especially in cold weather.

~Augee
View Quote
@Augee
Besides being cool, the biggest advantage and one of the main reasons why I've personally come to prefer using remote batteries versus internal, is when taken off the helmet mount I don't have to worry about accidentally leaving them powered on or taking batteries in/out.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Not for nothing I for one would definitely like to see an AA conversion cap made for RNVGs, just because I like options.

My unit is 123 and I run the AB remote pack, but agiain options so ???????
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I just wanted to thank everyone that contributed to this thread. To bad it never came to fruition, It would be nice for the end user to have the battery option.

-Mike
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you want a Battery Pack option for your DTNVG, be patient, one is coming. I had some input on its design. Best part is....it won't void the warranty on the DTNVG.
View Quote
Can't wait.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#10]
All I know is... I feel less Operator running my DTNVGs without a battery pack, and that ain’t cricket.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you want a Battery Pack option for your DTNVG, be patient, one is coming. I had some input on its design. Best part is....it won't void the warranty on the DTNVG.
View Quote
Oh cool, does that mean that it will be possible to retrofit existing DTNVGs with a battery pack? (As opposed to just new ones will be offered with it)
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 7:27:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Oh cool, does that mean that it will be possible to retrofit existing DTNVGs with a battery pack? (As opposed to just new ones will be offered with it)
View Quote
The picture that they mentioned makes it look like its a plug that goes in the battery compartment. Just guessing on my part, but that should mean that legacy devices could use it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top