Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2019 3:46:50 PM EDT
Before I call TNVC and UNV....

So my 35mm IR Hunter MK II crapped out last weekend.  It's on its way to Trijicon for repair, but turnaround time is estimated at 2-4 weeks plus shipping.  I'm supposed to go pig hunting this weekend and am relearning the pain of 2 is one, one is none.  I know I can rent a unit (that's how I came to own the IRD scope), but I'd like some suggestions on which one to "try before buy" for a new backup/loaner rifle thermal.

Parameters:

1.  Price is an object.  However, I'm spoiled by image of the 640 core of the IR Hunter.  This is a backup scope, but I want to be happy when I'm using it.
2.  Weight is an object.  I've grown older and weaker.  The weight of the IR Hunter is starting to wear on me.  I'd love to buy a Reap, but price....
3.  Magnification.  I need at least 8X, preferably more like 12X with the image clear enough for shot placement at the higher magnifications.

I have a friend with a FLIR PTS233.  I like the image well enough but there's not enough magnification for me to accurately shoot.  I have not looked through a PTS536 but that looks like it might work, though it's just under 2lb.
I've looked through a baseline ATN and wasn't impressed.  I'd rather try shooting with a PVS-14/laser setup.  I haven't looked through any Pulsars.

If you were in my situation, what would you buy?

Oh, and I'm not against used.  There's a REAP, PTS536, and a couple of Pulsars on the EE that are intriguing.  After having a $7K unit become a paperweight I'm a little leery though.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Pulsar Thermion XP50
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 4:06:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Definitely ATN... and make sure you download the Obsidian app to your smartphone and pair it with your scope. It’s epic.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#3]
You want everyone to share in the visits you received, eh Horta?

For the guy recommending the Thermion, why?
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#4]
-Start up time is instant.
-Dual batt with ability to change 2nd batt on the fly
-6hrs batt life
-files come off in MP4 format
-picture in picture
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Definitely ATN... and make sure you download the Obsidian app to your smartphone and pair it with your scope. It’s epic.
View Quote
I refuse to believe that you own a Skeet IRx and still play with ATN products.

#ChangeMyMind
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#6]
My backup is a pulsar trial XQ38 and I've been really impressed with it at the 3k price point.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 8:00:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I refuse to believe that you own a Skeet IRx and still play with ATN products.

#ChangeMyMind
View Quote
What he said.......
My opinion is, it’s always easiest to stay w same operating system.  If you need high base mag, the 536 is pretty good. I have one but don’t use much because of mag . Zoom in once, and you’re at 8x.  Very usable image.

Might be able to ding one of the older armasight. The 336 75 was 6x I think.  Image quality obviously not gonna be what your used to , but not 8k either ......sucks to be without one
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 11:56:30 PM EDT
[#8]
The PTS536 and PTS736 are both good for longer distances if that is what you are after. I used the PTS536 on my scope all last hunting season. It is a very precise scope.  The bigger objective lenses make a huge difference in comparison to the 233. The PTS233 is an OK entry level scope but is yielded almost useless in high humidity situations.

The newer Pulsar Thermions XM are all high base magnification options for longer range type situations.

Another option to throw in the mix is the Hogster Clip On by Bering Optics. It makes a surprising good scanner, and can be a good clip on as well for a reasonable price. If you need another scanner, you can always use it for that or for another gun with the clip on feature.

Night Goggles carries Pulsar, Flir, and Bering Optics and could also help you out if you decide to get a Trijicon. Good luck on your choice.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 2:17:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You want everyone to share in the visits you received, eh Horta?

For the guy recommending the Thermion, why?
View Quote
It’s a great experience. Everyone should have it at least once.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 8:44:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It’s a great experience. Everyone should have it at least once.
View Quote
Hey Horta, if you're not busy maybe you can loan me that SkeetIRx.  Solves my immediate hunting need, no issues with weight, and you'll probably help cause a divorce when I buy one....
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 8:47:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
-Start up time is instant.
-Dual batt with ability to change 2nd batt on the fly
-6hrs batt life
-files come off in MP4 format
-picture in picture
View Quote
Thank you very much!  I'll look into it.  That ability to change the battery while the scope is working would have saved a couple of shots for me over the years.  Timing is everything....
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 8:50:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My backup is a pulsar trial XQ38 and I've been really impressed with it at the 3k price point.
View Quote
Just curious, what's your primary thermal and how does the Trail compare for image, detection, and tracking?

TIA!
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 8:58:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Pulsar Thermion XP50
View Quote
Man -o- Man
I have been researching this for a long time. I was comparing Trijicons to the XP50 last night and am 99% sold on it. 1024x768 OLED screen.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote
I have the 38 but I’m really digging the 50 with that review.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 10:47:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just curious, what's your primary thermal and how does the Trail compare for image, detection, and tracking?

TIA!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TIA!
Actually same as yours, Trij MKII 35mm.  The Trail honestly doesn't give up a lot for my hunting scenarios which is generally <150yds.  Detection is the same in my area, ID is not as far as the MKII.  Obviously the image is cleaner on the MKII given the 640 vs 384 core.  I will say that under bad thermal conditions, I actually prefer the Trail's image.  I feel that environmental details are more pronounced even after optimizing settings for both units. Trail is lighter and has onboard recording if that matters to you.  I don't think you would be disappointed if you decided on the Trail as a backup.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Actually same as yours, Trij MKII 35mm.  The Trail honestly doesn't give up a lot for my hunting scenarios which is generally <150yds.  Detection is the same in my area, ID is not as far as the MKII.  Obviously the image is cleaner on the MKII given the 640 vs 384 core.  I will say that under bad thermal conditions, I actually prefer the Trail's image.  I feel that environmental details are more pronounced even after optimizing settings for both units. Trail is lighter and has onboard recording if that matters to you.  I don't think you would be disappointed if you decided on the Trail as a backup.
View Quote
I really appreciate the feedback from a fellow MKII user.  Thank you, sir!  Now to make a bunch of phone calls and a decision...
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I current have a MKII and I have a deposit for a Thermion XM30 so I can take friends hunting.  I thought about getting the XM38 because I hate the wait, but I think the 30 will better fill my needs.  If you want higher magnification I would take a hard look at the XM50.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#19]
So after reading the input here and calls with NightGoggles and UNV, I'm leaning toward a Pulsar Trail XP50.

Reasons:  It has the magnification I think I need.  It is lighter than the Thermion XP50 by 12 oz.

It's a little more money than I want to spend, and the War Department may "suggest" that an XQ38 is a more prudent purchase for marital harmony.

I've read a little about POI shifts in the past on this scope, but it seems to be a rare issue.  I haven't seen anything really negative about it.

Is it a waste of money ($1500) to go with the XP50 over the XQ38 as a backup/loaner?
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So after reading the input here and calls with NightGoggles and UNV, I'm leaning toward a Pulsar Trail XP50.

Reasons:  It has the magnification I think I need.  It is lighter than the Thermion XP50 by 12 oz.

It's a little more money than I want to spend, and the War Department may "suggest" that an XQ38 is a more prudent purchase for marital harmony.

I've read a little about POI shifts in the past on this scope, but it seems to be a rare issue.  I haven't seen anything really negative about it.

Is it a waste of money ($1500) to go with the XP50 over the XQ38 as a backup/loaner?
View Quote
As it relates to the money part, it's all relative. I'd get the scope I'd want to shoot. I'll have an XP50 in hand on Thursday. To me it's in another league above Trijicon IRD features wise. The Trijicon image isn't 3k better than XP50. I am a buy once cry once sorta guy.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 11:32:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

As it relates to the money part, it's all relative. I'd get the scope I'd want to shoot. I'll have an XP50 in hand on Thursday. To me it's in another league above Trijicon IRD features wise. The Trijicon image isn't 3k better than XP50. I am a buy once cry once sorta guy.
View Quote
Excellent
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 11:44:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed X2
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 6:39:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree with this about the features too.

Have both an older IRD mark 2 35mm and a trail XP50. I actually give the image quality edge to the trail probably due to the front focus, but they are both of very similar quality.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 6:22:33 PM EDT
[#24]
So after a lot of phone calls, website research and a few trips to stores to look at product , today I stopped by my local fun store. They had a REAP IR behind the display. Got to look through it and play with it. I told them what I’d pay for it, and to my surprise they said yes.

To member Tmm1270, you are the man. I can’t thank you enough for the time you spent with me walking through my amateur questions, plus taking the time to do comparison videos. You rock.

To everyone else that posted, thank you. This was not an insignificant financial and performance decision. Your advice showed the value of the forum
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 12:23:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So after a lot of phone calls, website research and a few trips to stores to look at product , today I stopped by my local fun store. They had a REAP IR behind the display. Got to look through it and play with it. I told them what I’d pay for it, and to my surprise they said yes.

To member Tmm1270, you are the man. I can’t thank you enough for the time you spent with me walking through my amateur questions, plus taking the time to do comparison videos. You rock.

To everyone else that posted, thank you. This was not an insignificant financial and performance decision. Your advice showed the value of the forum https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/134217/91EBD905-6F80-4529-8ACD-E5395B1C7631-1092529.jpg
View Quote
Nobody takes the time to say thank you anymore.
I didn’t contribute here, but I applaud you for taking the time to post a decision as well as your “thanks”.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 1:28:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So after a lot of phone calls, website research and a few trips to stores to look at product , today I stopped by my local fun store. They had a REAP IR behind the display. Got to look through it and play with it. I told them what I'd pay for it, and to my surprise they said yes.

To member Tmm1270, you are the man. I can't thank you enough for the time you spent with me walking through my amateur questions, plus taking the time to do comparison videos. You rock.

To everyone else that posted, thank you. This was not an insignificant financial and performance decision. Your advice showed the value of the forum https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/134217/91EBD905-6F80-4529-8ACD-E5395B1C7631-1092529.jpg
View Quote
Congrats! That is the sexiest thermal scope on the market. And if you are happy, that's all that matters.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 1:23:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Congrads, but now you having me wonder what they were willing to take.

Nice unit, a hell of a back-up
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top