Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/9/2019 3:45:22 PM EDT
I'm tired of spooking critters using my 850nm beamz.  Can someone point me to some lights that have both 940 and white light?  Not much is coming up in my searches.

If I absolutely have to, I'll go the #twinbeamin route with one 940nm and one white light, but I'd really prefer a one-and-done.

Here's a pretty picture as a placeholder.

Link Posted: 9/9/2019 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven’t heard of a dual-output light in that wavelength. Definitely nothing mainstream.

I think you’re going to be SOL.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Subbed.

Looking for a high output 940 light.  Single function.  Something that’ll be equivalent to a normal 850.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Since 950nm will be so much less effective than 850nm it will have to be several times more powerful, have several times less battery life and still end up with a visible signature.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Was going to mention Night Optics. They had some 940nm stuff but then I remembered they're basically gone as a company when I tried to go to their website. I'm guessing NO as a brand is dead? Bushnell AR Optics night vision seems very Big 5-ey
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I see that, for example, TNVC's Torch Pro comes in 910nm flavors.  I would be willing to try something higher than 850nm.  I guess it doesn't have to be exactly 940nm, though I figured that'd be the most popular option (but zero times zero is still zero :/ )
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Plenty of drop in P60's for flashlights at that wavelength, also laser diodes are around there and I'll be doing some of them soon.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 11:03:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Subbed.

Looking for a high output 940 light.  Single function.  Something that’ll be equivalent to a normal 850.
View Quote
https://modlite.com/collections/all-products/products/modlite-ir-940-light-head
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 11:15:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 11:17:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Plenty of drop in P60's for flashlights at that wavelength, also laser diodes are around there and I'll be doing some of them soon.
View Quote
I have a whole box of 940 lights. I want one that does both.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 1:15:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have a whole box of 940 lights. I want one that does both.
View Quote
Two mode clicky and a two LED star board, roll your own
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 6:20:03 AM EDT
[#11]
My solution was to build a filter for a Fenix TK25 IR. Good quality white light with one of the most powerful IR emitters I have used. Of course the standard 850nm LED gives off so much glow you might think it was a red LED. I took the fenix filter adapter: Colored filter broke out the lens and epoxied this 950nm filter: 37mm 950nm IR lens in its place. Just had to sand the inside of the adapter a bit and it fit perfectly.

I can just barely notice the slight drop in IR output but there is effectively no red glow anymore.

Of course this solution requires you to carry the filter with you and take it off when you want white light.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 6:47:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Back in the early 2000s I played a lot of airsoft. There was a company called G&P that made this flashlight called the Scoprion https://airsoft.tiger111hk.com/Airsoft-Guns-Accessories-Laser/c4_46/p11181/G&P-Scorpion-Series-Aiming-Laser-with-Flashlight-(Green-Dot)/product_info.htmlIt had two modular heads you could change out to be whatever you wanted.

Since getting into the night vision game the following decade, I always thought that would be a be a great setup if somebody could bring those back, but do something like the modlight ir head linked in a previous post, and a white head, and add a better switch.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

+1 for the Modlite
View Quote
This solves my problem? I do not see how.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My solution was to build a filter for a Fenix TK25 IR. Good quality white light with one of the most powerful IR emitters I have used. Of course the standard 850nm LED gives off so much glow you might think it was a red LED. I took the fenix filter adapter: Colored filter broke out the lens and epoxied this 950nm filter: 37mm 950nm IR lens in its place. Just had to sand the inside of the adapter a bit and it fit perfectly.

I can just barely notice the slight drop in IR output but there is effectively no red glow anymore.

Of course this solution requires you to carry the filter with you and take it off when you want white light.
View Quote
I have the TK25 IR.  Maybe I will try this.  Thank you!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 12:07:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This solves my problem? I do not see how.
View Quote
It’s a much better solution than getting something that does dual spectrum. Way better throw than the vampire units, and up in the wavelengths that you’re looking for. Why does the weapon light need to be vis as well? I’d carry something on my helmet or in my pocket for when it’s time to go white.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Also, I have one of these on the way to try out. Will be getting tube shots of it alongside other options. May be right up your alley if you want to go handheld. 7000mW of 940nm...

https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/ci7
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 2:01:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Also, I have one of these on the way to try out. Will be getting tube shots of it alongside other options. May be right up your alley if you want to go handheld. 7000mW of 940nm...

View Quote
YOU FOUND IT!!!

This one does both.  I see it's still in pre-order stages.  Let me know how you like it, either here on on IG.

Why do you think it needs to be handheld?

Link Posted: 9/10/2019 2:52:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Every one of their marketing photos shows it being used handheld and/or with a beltclip. I imagine you could throw it in a pic rail flashlight adapter, but I don't see anything in their materials that would suggest it's fit for that usage. I'll ask my contact there if they have any comment regarding the recoil resistance if one were to do that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#20]
@TNVC since I see you lurking in all the other threads right now, come in here and deliver some definitive news? Does 940/White weaponlight really not exist from a top-shelf manufacturer? Why on earth not?
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 4:35:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Nightcore makes some really solid stuff. Unfortunately, they also make some dog excrement as well. Hopefully the CI7 lives up to their better angels.

7 WATTS of 940nm illumination goodness, plus 2500 lumens of white light — all powered by a single 18650 has some pretty epic potential.

For $130 it’s a definite no-brainer.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#23]
In talking with Sam today I did realize one distinction that I failed to remember earlier, and that's the fact that laser-based illuminators don't have the visible wavelength red-glow problem that LED-based ones do.  So that's definitely something to think about.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

With this latest China unit being advertised at the power they are claiming at 940nm, I REALLY want to see the visible signature of that emitter. It's interesting they also do not annotate any IR ranges they are getting?  Maybe I'm wrong, but this will be the tell all with the power they are claiming and the size of their head.  We shall see how their 940 emitter compares against other 910+ emitters.  I know we'll hear, "yea, there's more viz signature but look at the distance I'm getting".
View Quote
Good idea - I'll be sure to set the camera downrange and take some photos of the signature alongside other LED and laser-based units. Obviously comes with challenges based on what sneaks past the IR filter versus what the human eye picks up, but it'll at least provide a point of comparison.

Here's the LED that they list as being used in the light: https://download.luminus.com/datasheets/Luminus_SST-10-IR_Datasheet.pdf

And yes, they're now Chinese-owned after the VCs sold the biz across the pond per this 2013 article: https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/luminus-devices-sold-to-chinese-led-lighting-firm-sanan-for-22m
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 10:30:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 6:43:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
YOU FOUND IT!!!

This one does both.  I see it's still in pre-order stages.  Let me know how you like it, either here on on IG.

https://flashlight.nitecore.com/Uploads/attached/image/20190905/20190905143005_63584.gif
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YOU FOUND IT!!!

https://flashlight.nitecore.com/Uploads/attached/image/20190905/20190905143005_63584.gif
Hmm... Next gen light, but with legacy mounting options and no remote switch?
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 7:02:33 AM EDT
[#28]
1.02" body - will fit in a GG&G 1" 1913 Ring Mount (or any 1" M-LOK). Nice find OP. My current WML is strong side button activated - no switch isn't a deal breaker in my case.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#29]
A 950nm Ir passing filter on a 850nm led will cut the glow down greatly and still pass useable Ir light.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are you saying you had to sand the Fenix adapter for it to fit on the TK-25, or for the 950 lens to fit into the adapter?
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Are you saying you had to sand the Fenix adapter for it to fit on the TK-25, or for the 950 lens to fit into the adapter?
View Quote
There are little nubs inside the adapter that hold the colored lens in place, they get in the was of inserting the lens. I used a dremel to sand them away so it is smooth inside the adapter. The lens I linked then presses perfectly in place, there is a rim on the end of the adapter that keeps it from falling out. I also figured roughing up the inside of the plastic would help the epoxy hold better.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There are little nubs inside the adapter that hold the colored lens in place, they get in the was of inserting the lens. I used a dremel to sand them away so it is smooth inside the adapter. The lens I linked then presses perfectly in place, there is a rim on the end of the adapter that keeps it from falling out. I also figured roughing up the inside of the plastic would help the epoxy hold better.
View Quote
10-4.  The Fenix website does not say that the adapter fits the TK-25, but if you say it does, I will buy.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

10-4.  The Fenix website does not say that the adapter fits the TK-25, but if you say it does, I will buy.
View Quote
I double checked and it is the AOFL that I bought and it is the correct size. At least Fenix has corrected their compatibility chart. When I was trying to figure out which one to order, the chart said the small+ was the correct size. I had to break out some calipers to figure out which one to buy.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#35]
The amount of glow reduced is more then the amount of Ir blocked. This works on IR lights outputting around 1watt very well with Gen 3 NV. Now using a digital device that needs the full power IR to operate won’t benefit as much. The filter can be setup on a flip cap, so full power is available. A visible red glow at 50-80yds gets attention. The same glow at 150-200yds is not very noticeable if it’s not waiving around, slow raising to light up target. It’s the quick movement the critters key on as well as a very noticeable red glowing dot. Even reduced IR will give eye shine to detect critters with Gen3 NV.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 8:14:16 AM EDT
[#36]
I tried the 950-modified Fenix this weekend.  It was meh.  Still lots of glow.  Definitely better than before.  I brought a FandyFire 940 with me for comparison.  It has less glow and a zoomable head, which is an underrated feature.  The flood on the TK25 really hampers viewing past 50 yards when used in conjunction with the auto-gating of a -14.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I tried the 950-modified Fenix this weekend.  It was meh.  Still lots of glow.  Definitely better than before.  I brought a FandyFire 940 with me for comparison.  It has less glow and a zoomable head, which is an underrated feature.  The flood on the TK25 really hampers viewing past 50 yards when used in conjunction with the auto-gating of a -14.
View Quote
The tk25 is very strong even on low power.  It would be nice if it had several levels to choose from or a ramping mode.  I am not sure of the driver circuit it uses to see if a mod is possible. A neutral density filter will lower its output. It’s just a matter of finding the right level of Ir you need with minimal glow.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The tk25 is very strong even on low power.  It would be nice if it had several levels to choose from or a ramping mode.  I am not sure of the driver circuit it uses to see if a mod is possible. A neutral density filter will lower its output. It’s just a matter of finding the right level of Ir you need with minimal glow.
View Quote
Now that you mention it, I forgot that it has variable power via the rear button.  I am using the pressure pad.  Unless I'm missing something the pad is only HIGH or OFF.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm really intrested to see jw comment and pics of the ci7.  While my head says buy dual mode for compatibility reasons, chances are I will end up with the torch pro. Can anyone comment on effective range (assuming hi pwr and focused) for the 880?  I need something with clean throw since my inforce fell on its face past 50.  Also do they sell the torch head stand alone? Got G2 and tail caps out the a$$
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 10:48:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm really intrested to see jw comment and pics of the ci7.
View Quote
Will try putting something together this weekend. Shipment from Hong Kong says it’ll be here on Thursday...
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Lights just arrived in the mail, and they tossed in a weapon mount and a tape switch. The tape is actually really neat at first glance. It includes a button on the endcap too, and is all digital, so you can turn it on from the tailcap, then off from the tapeswitch and vice versa - you don't get in a situation where it's locked out. And the tape includes both a momentary section (larger) and a constant button (small, at the wire side).

Will get it out in the dark here this weekend alongside some other things to compare and see how the 7W of 940nm energy does...

Link Posted: 9/20/2019 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Schwing! I think I'm gonna buy one this weekend as well.  My local distributor has one in stock.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Lights just arrived in the mail, and they tossed in a weapon mount and a tape switch. The tape is actually really neat at first glance. It includes a button on the endcap too, and is all digital, so you can turn it on from the tailcap, then off from the tapeswitch and vice versa - you don't get in a situation where it's locked out. And the tape includes both a momentary section (larger) and a constant button (small, at the wire side).

Will get it out in the dark here this weekend alongside some other things to compare and see how the 7W of 940nm energy does...

https://i.imgur.com/svDwFg0l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rU1x34Ul.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ThaTcprl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9CluFkal.jpg
View Quote
I like it!
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:33:17 PM EDT
[#44]
That light looks great and so does the alternate tailcap and remote.

As far as filter go I read on another forum that the IR850 filters work to reduce the red glow of the IR illumination so maybe that's why some aren't having ideal results.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Lights just arrived in the mail...

View Quote
See what it looks like through your Aurora too - I may grab one if it looks good - it's the same Candella as my Fenix, and I'm happy with that. Anyone know the Wattage on the Fandy 940nm? (3.7-4.2v from an 18650 is all I can find, with an OSRAM 940nm LED)
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Interested in c17 opinions. My Surefire Vampire Scout is great in all areas except the damn red glow. Might just dump it if the Nitecore is GTG.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 7:59:45 AM EDT
[#47]
CI7 through an Aurora:

Nick Chen (solscud007) CI7
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 11:02:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Anyone try the C17 with Gen 3 yet? Curious as to what range capabilities it has at various intensities. Can anyone give us some feedback on visible signature? Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Anyone try the C17 with Gen 3 yet? Curious as to what range capabilities it has at various intensities. Can anyone give us some feedback on visible signature? Thanks!
View Quote
I ran it this weekend and got some video but haven't had time to download it yet.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Look forward to seeing it!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top