Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2019 12:44:18 PM EDT
Thanks to hurricane Dorian I was without power for several days.
Fortunately I had a generator ready to go but whenever I went out at night I would use my binos instead of a flashlight.

I watched much of the storm on my porch using my NV.

My NV is now part of hurricane emergency kit.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I walk my GSD after work with my pvs14 quite often.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Hurricanes was one of the ways I justified the purchase to myself.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I used a PVS-7 at night in the aftermath of hurricane Ivan in 2004.  They were very helpful in differentiating folks that were "shopping" in the wrong neighborhood.  A quiet "can I help you" in the pitch dark defused a situation that could have escalated.

Make sure you lock your generator to a tree or other substantial structure.  If you're without electricity for a long period those things tend to walk away.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#4]
My LASIK doc wrote me a prescription for a pvs14 and signed it at the bottom. My night vision post surgery was horrendous and I couldnt see shit so he wrote it and I took it home to the wife and she was like "well, if you really need it I guess we have no other option." I almost got away with it until I couldnt keep a straight face.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My LASIK doc wrote me a prescription for a pvs14 and signed it at the bottom. My night vision post surgery was horrendous and I couldnt see shit so he wrote it and I took it home to the wife and she was like "well, if you really need it I guess we have no other option." I almost got away with it until I couldnt keep a straight face.
View Quote
On this topic... I have an astigmatism in 1 eye and was curious if it’s possible to get a screw in correction lens for a nvd similar to a demist shield etc. I’m sure it’s “possible” but was hoping it’s financially feasible...ie get the script and have one of those chinese glasses places make it so it only costs like $10.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks to hurricane Dorian I was without power for several days.
Fortunately I had a generator ready to go but whenever I went out at night I would use my binos instead of a flashlight.

I watched much of the storm on my porch using my NV.

My NV is now part of hurricane emergency kit.
View Quote
Well at least you are using yours, there is a good amount of a thread in GD right now saying they regret buying NV. I say that is awesome OP
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

On this topic... I have an astigmatism in 1 eye and was curious if it’s possible to get a screw in correction lens for a nvd similar to a demist shield etc. I’m sure it’s “possible” but was hoping it’s financially feasible...ie get the script and have one of those chinese glasses places make it so it only costs like $10.
View Quote
I have it also and with the amount of focus on the lens you'll get a clear image on a RDS etc.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well at least you are using yours, there is a good amount of a thread in GD right now saying they regret buying NV. I say that is awesome OP
View Quote
I stay out of GD but now I’ll have to look. It ain’t for everybody that’s for sure. #1 test: if you can’t or don’t like to stay up all night usually alone and in the dark, then you need to hard pass.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I stay out of GD but now I’ll have to look. It ain’t for everybody that’s for sure. #1 test: if you can’t or don’t like to stay up all night usually alone and in the dark, then you need to hard pass.
View Quote
I am a glutton for punishment.

I also agree with the #1 Test as well, It also helps if your friends have NODs
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Definitely helps if you have someone to use it with. I agree with some of those posts about guys in the city who don’t or can’t get out to use it. Unless they’re doing classes (and how many of those will they take?) they really can’t get much out of it unless a storm or EMP hits and takes down the power grid lol

Even before getting into NVDs I spent a lot of time outdoors with the Mrs day & night. Always preferred night hiking. There’s something about being outdoors at night that’s either in your blood or isn’t. Hell, night time in general I prefer over day time even in the city. It helps that we have a large rural property in the boonies. Still not as good as you guys in States with hogs to kill all night long. I’m truly envious. I would be up all night every night and have a ton of devices.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I used my thermal to stop a guy from breaking in to my neighbors truck.

They have plenty of uses, I'll never be without thermal or NV ever again.

It's like being addicted to crack with this stuff.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, but that’s GD.  There’s also a long thread about hating sex so.....
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 8:19:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Considering the price of some quality pvs14s out there now, and paired with say a CRYE night cap, there really almost no excuse not to have one nowadays to stow and go.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I used a PVS-7 at night in the aftermath of hurricane Ivan in 2004.  They were very helpful in differentiating folks that were "shopping" in the wrong neighborhood.  A quiet "can I help you" in the pitch dark defused a situation that could have escalated.

Make sure you lock your generator to a tree or other substantial structure.  If you're without electricity for a long period those things tend to walk away.
View Quote
Those with bad intentions don't expect to run into someone using NV. They think they have the advantage in the dark.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
The optician who sold me my latest updated prescription measured my spectacles  frames with a computer guided laser and sent that with the correction figures to get lenses only. He said a computer does all the work at the manufacturing end. I bet you could take him the mount for a screw-in or snap-in lens cover that fits, along with your astigmatism correction, and have a lens cut perfectly to your needs. Once in the mount and screwed to the PVS-14 you might need to remove it once to adjust the corrective angle of the lens and mark the edge for reference.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#17]
When I first got mine, I found I played with it a little bit, few nights a week. Then I put it in the safe. Once I did that.... I seemed to forget about it and stopped using it. Had a little event at night, dog went nuts about something (it was a deer eating the landscaping along side the house) and I wishes I had my NOD's but they where locked in the safe on the other end of the house.... Now. I keep them on my dresser, with the bat removed and right next to them. I sleep with my window open. I find I use them all the time now and see all kinds of cool stuff. Dog wakes me up at 1 am... I go watch raccoons role though the neighborhood, and check out the stars. Or deer in the yard. Or see the neighbor out in his yard at 2 am... lol he has no NOD's...  I see tons of cool wildlife events, but I live next to timber land... and live in the forest. Learned the other night, animals in brush like 20' away, and could just see movement in brush, but couldn't make out what it was. Hit IR light and all I can see is leaves and branches... can't see into the brush... turn IR off and I can see back into the brush, it was 3 deer.... Learning little things like that are great :) and I get a real kick out of it. 99% of the time, they never know I am there, unless I trip on something...
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone ever mow their grass while wearing NV? I always think about it when I stare out at my yard at night. Probably piss off the neighbors though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anyone ever mow their grass while wearing NV? I always think about it when I stare out at my yard at night. Probably piss off the neighbors though.
View Quote
I have with a headlamp.  But now I know what I'm doing in the spring! My neighbors houses are far enough away
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have with a headlamp.  But now I know what I'm doing in the spring! My neighbors houses are far enough away
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is cooler at night
Anyone ever put IR lights on their mower?
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#21]
As a matter of fact . . . .

Link Posted: 9/10/2019 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/HFgsn5F.gif
View Quote
Just when you thought you had seen everything
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
I missed that one - good stuff ??
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 8:52:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I knew someone had to have tried it! How can you not look out at your lawn through NV and not think, "yep, this needs mowed...AT NIGHT!"
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#25]
So, strangest use I've found... My thermal makes an awesome stud finder.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 6:35:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
OMG. Dude, you are my hero. So close to pulling it off.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 6:50:56 AM EDT
[#27]
I used my night vision to find a hole in the basement wall where ants were getting in.  It was sunny outside an I could see the light coming in with the NODs.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

OMG. Dude, you are my hero. So close to pulling it off.
View Quote
I ended up getting it just not on that premise. I saved up for a year before I could get them. I missed a few meals so I could get them...
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 9:49:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Now submit the receipt & prescription to your health insurance and see if they reimburse you lol.

That is hilarious though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Never thought of that...

Hmm
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Never thought of that...

Hmm
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never thought of that...

Hmm
Yeah I found that out when I was fooling around with my thermal inside the house and noticed I could see every stud and rafter.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yeah I found that out when I was fooling around with my thermal inside the house and noticed I could see every stud and rafter.
View Quote
If I was an insulation or window contractor, I'd buy some thermal cameras in a heartbeat.  They are amazing for finding those spots where your losing money on heating, and cooling.  I've been debating renting a camera and walking around my house to make a video.  Then working on the cold spots.  Your studs transfer heat much more than you insulation filled walls.  There's a couple tricks to combat that,  oldest being alternating spaced studs,  newest being studs that are 2 strips of wood with  insulation comprising the middle of the board.

Been thinking about using that excuse to buy thermal for my side job/company
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Shit, how'd I not discover this yet!? Thanks for the tip.

@topgunshooter
Try this with your dog, it's awesome. It's become a ritual for us at this point, lol

Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 2:37:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Thermal is really handy for electrical and electronics work. Have seen overheating connections from loose screws and have also used thermal to find shorted capacitors on boards. Even more handy with a macro lens. Can see which individual surface mount component is overheating. Have also used thermal to determine the liquid level in a tank that had a failed level sensor.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 2:47:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Shit, how'd I not discover this yet!? Thanks for the tip.

@topgunshooter
Try this with your dog, it's awesome. It's become a ritual for us at this point, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuHppK95AYA
View Quote
My dog gets an inferiority complex when I’m walking him with binos and peltors on. The only advantage he has is smelling which hasn’t provided much usefulness unless I wanted to know another dog took a piss in the grass in the last day. I had to get something out of my workshop when leaving to take a walk with dog and I didn’t bother turning on the lights. Poor dog was just frozen since he couldn’t see a damned thing. I think if I tried to play fetch with him in the dark, I’d be the one fetching.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:11:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Considering the price of some quality pvs14s out there now, and paired with say a CRYE night cap, there really almost no excuse not to have one nowadays to stow and go.
View Quote
That is pretty much the setup I'm doing, not real reason but they've become pretty affordable and I really scored on a demo monocular.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:13:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

My dog gets an inferiority complex when I’m walking him with binos and peltors on. The only advantage he has is smelling which hasn’t provided much usefulness unless I wanted to know another dog took a piss in the grass in the last day. I had to get something out of my workshop when leaving to take a walk with dog and I didn’t bother turning on the lights. Poor dog was just frozen since he couldn’t see a damned thing. I think if I tried to play fetch with him in the dark, I’d be the one fetching.
View Quote
Lol. Our last dog (God rest his soul, he was a good one) was the same when his eyes got too old. He was my night buddy but his last couple years he'd only come out on the leash reluctantly. Our new pup is full of piss & vinegar. Now I'm the old one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 3:50:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 5:02:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

My power went out that Wednesday night in the Sea Islands when the storm hit Charleston County for several days.

Had to pack to leave for our Night Fighter class that weekend in the dark with my NODs on.

The dogs and the cat are all used to the night vision thing by now, I think they actually roll their eyes at me at this point when I shut off all the indoor and outdoor lights to let them out to pee at night.

~Augee
View Quote
Speaking of the dogs.
When I get home late from hunting or other late night activities I always take my dog for a walk. Thermal is a great poo locating device, no gifts left for the neighbors.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A loaner -14 helps with that second part.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 5:25:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Speaking of the dogs.
When I get home late from hunting or other late night activities I always take my dog for a walk. Thermal is a great poo locating device, no gifts left for the neighbors.
View Quote
I just discovered this a few nights ago when I got off work. My flir scout tk isn't the highest quality, but it located the pile when I couldn't with my 14's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top