Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2019 8:22:03 AM EDT
Pretty sure I saw a few pics of TNVC and a couple late model 4Runners. If I am wrong I apologize.

If not, how to you have your interior set up as in blocking instrument panel lighting and where did you run any switching for IR lights? I just picked up a ‘19 4Runner and am trying to get an idea of how to make it compatible. My older Tacoma was easy to black out. Haven’t bought a new vehicle in years so I am a bit curious what any of you did to dim out all the fancy shit going on in these new rides.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 8:41:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 8:44:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Buddy of mine duck tapes black towels to the top of the dash and drapes them over the dash lights. Easy and cheap. Could do it on brake lights too.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 8:44:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Wouldn’t you be able to dim down the dash lights to near nothing? I would think there is a hack for turning off the DRL. I know guys that did it on FJ cruisers to run dark.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are not wrong.
My Tundra did not make it into some of the photos, but it is wired up with 850 nm Light Force IR lights for NODs driving. I just turn down all my instrumentation and that is fine for me, probably the biggest thing I would recommend is subduing you brake lights with duct tape.
Light Force lights has you covered if you need further info Augee can probably help and also follow @basecamplife on instagram
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/446803/IMG_6086_JPG-1008788.jpg
View Quote
My plan is to pick up some of the LF lights from you guys for this.

Do you like the lights mounted higher up like that vs bumper?

10-4 on Augee I have his contact info.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 8:53:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wouldn’t you be able to dim down the dash lights to near nothing? I would think there is a hack for turning off the DRL. I know guys that did it on FJ cruisers to run dark.
View Quote
I really haven’t messed with it enough to know. I have never had a vehicle with a in dash screen like the gps to know if they dim as well.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 8:53:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Buddy of mine duck tapes black towels to the top of the dash and drapes them over the dash lights. Easy and cheap. Could do it on brake lights too.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 9:19:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I turn my dash lights down as suggested and just drive. I recommend practicing in an open area before tearing off into the woods if you have no supplemental IR lights.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 9:27:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I turn my dash lights down as suggested and just drive. I recommend practicing in an open area before tearing off into the woods if you have no supplemental IR lights.
View Quote
I agree. It is not something you just want to jump into.

Don’t get me wrong, I have been driving with NODs and no supplemental IR lights since around ‘05. I do look forward to getting a set of the LF lights, but I have been making do with nothing.

It is hard to tell but this is actually a pretty steep incline.

L3 PVS-31a with Because Operator cam on ATV showing image at 88% Waxing Gibbous
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 9:28:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I like them higher as they tend to shine out further above high brush or vegetation. And I'll be honest i only need them about 25% of the time, my DTNVG's do the job quite well without supplemental IR light.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My plan is to pick up some of the LF lights from you guys for this.

Do you like the lights mounted higher up like that vs bumper?

10-4 on Augee I have his contact info.
I like them higher as they tend to shine out further above high brush or vegetation. And I'll be honest i only need them about 25% of the time, my DTNVG's do the job quite well without supplemental IR light.
I appreciate the info Sam
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pretty sure I saw a few pics of TNVC and a couple late model 4Runners. If I am wrong I apologize.

If not, how to you have your interior set up as in blocking instrument panel lighting and where did you run any switching for IR lights? I just picked up a ‘19 4Runner and am trying to get an idea of how to make it compatible. My older Tacoma was easy to black out. Haven’t bought a new vehicle in years so I am a bit curious what any of you did to dim out all the fancy shit going on in these new rides.

Thanks
View Quote
Here's a head start from the first hit on google searching "4Runner black out switch": https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/222626-need-kill-switch-all-lights.html

The cheapest and easiest effective way to cover your instrument cluster is to cut a piece of cardboard that fits perfectly.

Pulling fuses is faster and easier for me than covering tail lights with duct tape like Sam suggested.  Be warned that some vehicles will not operate with these fuses pulled.

I am in the process of designing and implementing a blackout switch for all exterior lights on my truck, but haven't had time to get back to it yet.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 11:07:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Not sure of the configuration of the dash on your vehicle but in my old Chevy 2500 I just cut a piece of thick cardboard from a box to fit the dash and I put a zip tie through it so I could pull it out of the way. I stowed it behind the seat when not in use so it did not get crushed.

An old friend who I am sorry to say was a road hunter used his old SR-5 for it and he made up two switches to control lights. One kept the interior lights off when opening and closing the doors and the other killed the brake lights.

ThisWildAdventure I was typing and you were posting. Cardboard, good for more than just recycling
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Here's a head start from the first hit on google searching "4Runner black out switch": https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/222626-need-kill-switch-all-lights.html

The cheapest and easiest effective way to cover your instrument cluster is to cut a piece of cardboard that fits perfectly.

Pulling fuses is faster and easier for me than covering tail lights with duct tape like Sam suggested.  Be warned that some vehicles will not operate with these fuses pulled.

I am in the process of designing and implementing a blackout switch for all exterior lights on my truck, but haven't had time to get back to it yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Thank you for that link. You da Man.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a 2015 4runner trail that Ive been modifying. Look into the OBDII plug called Carista, you download the app on your phone and plug it in to your vehicle allowing you to edit things like seat belt chimes, interior lighs, foot lights, ect. The only thing is I haven't been able to completely kill the gauge cluster lights but on dim they are not too bad.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a 2015 4runner trail that Ive been modifying. Look into the OBDII plug called Carista, you download the app on your phone and plug it in to your vehicle allowing you to edit things like seat belt chimes, interior lighs, foot lights, ect. The only thing is I haven't been able to completely kill the gauge cluster lights but on dim they are not too bad.
View Quote
Awesome. My next problem to tackle is going to be the chimes and dingers.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#16]
@bullf-16
Might want to check out that OBD connector thing
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Awesome. My next problem to tackle is going to be the chimes and dingers.

Thank you.
View Quote
No problem, that was the first thing to go when I bought the truck!
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I’ll add more later.

On one truck I had the whole thing wired via relays to one blackout stitch that kills everything exterior and the dome light and inning board lights .
The brake/reverse lights are my biggest mandatory item.
I’m still running a combo of tape, and whatever is in the truck to cover instruction lights.
It seems like the easiest way because even if you black out the instruments warning and other indicator lights can cause havoc.

So for me not only has “field expedient” been the fastest way, it’s seems to be the most effective.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I use velcro on a towel to cover the dash, works great
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I use velcro on a towel to cover the dash, works great
View Quote
quick and dirty

Certainly not the coolest option. Switches and gizmos are neat. But there's something to be said about simple. That and not everyone wants to get into modifying the wiring of their car... Especially a 2019 like in the op
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I appreciate the info Sam
View Quote
That’s a pretty trippy video !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top