Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2019 12:39:41 PM EDT
So I have this:
Attachment Attached File

and I'm trying to mount an IR light to it that will do everything that I wan't.

About 70% of the use of my PVS-14 will probably at work, at night, in a semi-urban area with a lot of light pollution. The other 30% will be for hog hunting in the piney forests of East Texas at night.

I'm looking for something with enough spill to make my immediate surroundings well lit, out to maybe 50 yards.

I was looking at those Surefire V-1 lights since they're going for cheap online, but I would have to figure out how to mount it to some 1" rings and then mount the rings to the helmet...

I'm also open to the Princeton tec style of lights with the LED on the end of a litttle rigid cable.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I have this:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/90704/helmet_jpg-1051717.JPG

and I'm trying to mount an IR light to it that will do everything that I wan't.

About 70% of the use of my PVS-14 will probably at work, at night, in a semi-urban area with a lot of light pollution. The other 30% will be for hog hunting in the piney forests of East Texas at night.

I'm looking for something with enough spill to make my immediate surroundings well lit, out to maybe 50 yards.

I was looking at those Surefire V-1 lights since they're going for cheap online, but I would have to figure out how to mount it to some 1" rings and then mount the rings to the helmet...

I'm also open to the Princeton tec style of lights with the LED on the end of a litttle rigid cable.
View Quote
http://www.unitytactical.com/product/knuckl-helmet-mount/

Since you already have the Mark, then take off the clip and get one of the vtac light holders. There are others too.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm cheap - works awesome. Hook Patch, Two 'Velcro 1 Wrap' Strips, E6000 Adhesive.

If it's the Princeton Tec that looks like this - it's immediate area only (as in a really small room) not 50yds.

Link Posted: 8/12/2019 1:25:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can buy pic rail inserts for the sides of your helmet. Then any old 1" scope ring can attach to that.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Those s&s precision scout body mounts are pretty dope.

I just have one of those $11 amazon ir flashlights on a $2 ebay offset flashlight mount on a plastic pic rail section. Want to replace it with a x300v or maybe a m300v as I want a white light option. For non nod stuff.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can buy pic rail inserts for the sides of your helmet. Then any old 1" scope ring can attach to that.
View Quote
The scope ring worked, but it stuck out at a weird angle. The offset mount worked better.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m using a surefire v1 that I got on eBay for $140 and using a echo arms fast attach mount.  The mount has a body so I switched the head and tail cap.  It’s velcro so you can mount it on the side for direct light or back of you lid for canopy light.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I’m using a surefire v1 that I got on eBay for $140 and using a echo arms fast attach mount.  The mount has a body so I switched the head and tail cap.  It’s velcro so you can mount it on the side for direct light or back of you lid for canopy light.
View Quote
^^^^ This exact same for me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 6:50:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Appreciate the tip on the Echo Fast attach
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out the Petzl STRIX IR.  This is what I run on my Ops Core night rig and it fits the bill nicely for me.  It’s mainly for closer work and has white, IR and red illumination and runs on a single AA cell.  Nice and light with lots of articulation to focus the lights where you need it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 3:57:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I’m honestly thinking of trying one of these shitty ebay lights for starters.

Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/UV-CR-1706-Zoomable-IR-850nm-Flashlight-Super-Bright-Infrared-Light-Torch-Lamp/362691511839?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item547219461f:m:mJMDvsmzYvB_N6UiHoM4jFQ

If it’s too heavy or it sucks I can use it as a handheld and get a surefire V1 for the helmet.
So what do I need to get it on the helmet’s rail in the lowest profile way and keep it from rotating when i zoom the head?

This thing: https://www.optactical.com/untaknhemoki.html

And a 1913 rail with two 1” rings?
Somebody please link me to whatever I need to buy.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 6:20:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I’m honestly thinking of trying one of these shitty ebay lights for starters.

Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/UV-CR-1706-Zoomable-IR-850nm-Flashlight-Super-Bright-Infrared-Light-Torch-Lamp/362691511839?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item547219461f:m:mJMDvsmzYvB_N6UiHoM4jFQ

If it’s too heavy or it sucks I can use it as a handheld and get a surefire V1 for the helmet.
So what do I need to get it on the helmet’s rail in the lowest profile way and keep it from rotating when i zoom the head?

This thing: https://www.optactical.com/untaknhemoki.html

And a 1913 rail with two 1” rings?
Somebody please link me to whatever I need to buy.
View Quote
Thats similar to what I use. Mine is one of the smaller ones. With this mount on the plastic 1913 rail that came with my helmet.

Here

Could also use chicago screws to hold a mlok rail segment to the helmet it self. Thats what I will do with the m/x300v I go to next.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Check out the Petzl STRIX IR.  This is what I run on my Ops Core night rig and it fits the bill nicely for me.  It’s mainly for closer work and has white, IR and red illumination and runs on a single AA cell.  Nice and light with lots of articulation to focus the lights where you need it.
View Quote
I wanted one of those - they are getting really hard to find due to them being discontinued - wasn't going to pay what was being asked.

The Fandy 940nm light off Amazon, for a Helmet, is pretty nice - at full zoom it illuminates out to a couple hundred yards, and for closer, you can adjust it to just fill your entire FOV (getting you the most range in that scenario, nothing wasted) - ~$20.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#14]
$99 bucks for the Strix IR is not too shabby, I bought mine 3 years ago for $170
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 3:24:57 PM EDT
[#15]
So what has the least visible red glow, 940 or 850nm?
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I really like the Inforce.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 3:45:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So what has the least visible red glow, 940 or 850nm?
View Quote
940. But it doesnt matter imo.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Id like to find a mount that lets me aim the flash light up at the ceiling inside a room if needed. I believe there is a mount available for Ops helmets but not one for TW? or for a pic rail etc?
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
$99 bucks for the Strix IR is not too shabby, I bought mine 3 years ago for $170
View Quote
That’s a good price for that light, which is a good performer.  Mine has been great and a buddy followed suit with it and is also very pleased with its performance.  I’d advise anyone in the market for a helmet-mounted light that isn’t looking for an IR “spotlight” to give it serious consideration.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I really like the Inforce.
View Quote
+1 Run an Inforce WML IR/WH on a pic rail on an ARC.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Id like to find a mount that lets me aim the flash light up at the ceiling inside a room if needed. I believe there is a mount available for Ops helmets but not one for TW? or for a pic rail etc?
View Quote
Umbrella torch mount. Fits scout lights and x series.

Could also just screw a pic rail to the helmet if its a bump.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#22]
S&S body with a V1 head, the high and low are really nice to have. Just need to paint it.

Link Posted: 8/13/2019 10:47:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I went with an Inforce light for the picatinny rail I added to my Ops-Core bump. It has a toggle between 700 lumina white and 400 lumin IR light with excellent flood and throw

I don't need to stake my life on the inforce but for hunting it's been really useful

Link Posted: 8/14/2019 1:58:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
S&S body with a V1 head, the high and low are really nice to have. Just need to paint it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/146382/651BB622-2DDE-42FD-9FE5-5E06A90A377F-1053569.jpg
View Quote
Holy dog shit Batman! You had me all excited and ready to buy, until I saw what that thing costs! Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 6:06:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Holy dog shit Batman! You had me all excited and ready to buy, until I saw what that thing costs!
View Quote
Yup - LOL!

Streamlight Sidewinder or Sidewinder II is another option. The 123 version is cheaper. Best to go on Streamlights site and get the exact SKU when looking - they make 100 different models. And again, I don't know about a 50yd reach.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 7:48:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
OP, PT light very short range NAV type light.  My vote Surfire M1 if you can find one or the V1 best options.
View Quote
This is the best helmet mounted IR light out there. It has a nice clean, perfect circled throw on it.

They pop up on the EE now and then for around $100
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Holy dog shit Batman! You had me all excited and ready to buy, until I saw what that thing costs! https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/90704/F3AF31BC-D7B2-4E4D-B289-46D1D253E4D4_png-1053776.JPG
View Quote
They do have cheap Airsoft replicas... but its S & S... everything they sell is overpriced. I would worry the swivel tension could be all jacked up on a replica and make it uselessly floppy while riding an ATV.

A KNUCKL mount with M300V is about the same profile. I already have a KNUCKL and an MPLS for up close but you cant aim the KNUCKL up at the ceiling in front of a 3M Peltor ARC rail adapter due to space. It barely fits in front as it is.

The M-AX body is $198 but S&S does have an LE discount... it is still stupid money for an M300 body and ARC mount. You can source a seperate M300V head and Z68 tailcap.

Also you would HAVE to mount your helmet light strong side using an INVG weak side or the stowed PVS14 will block your white light source, if you care about that. It also helps balance the helmet left to right to mount opposite side of the PVS14.

The InForce WML IR is much cheaper. It also runs over twice as long as long in IR mode vs an M300V  (4hr @ 100mw vs 1.5hr @ 100mw).

Your current helmet cover would allow a velcro wrapped and tethered handheld to aim forward or up if placed on the side or rear velcro. The ability to aim your helmet light up lets you ceiling bounce and provide overall illumination indoors without blinding everyone around you, IR or white light.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 9:26:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Your current helmet cover would allow a velcro wrapped and tethered handheld to aim forward or up if placed on the side or rear velcro. The ability to aim your helmet light up lets you ceiling bounce and provide overall illumination indoors without blinding everyone around you, IR or white light.
View Quote
It's cheap and effective. I got the homemade Velcro idea from Bill Blowers. My way is a lot more secure though, but does take more effort to remove/re-position.

P&S BB's Helmet Setup
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 10:36:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Holy dog shit Batman! You had me all excited and ready to buy, until I saw what that thing costs! https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/90704/F3AF31BC-D7B2-4E4D-B289-46D1D253E4D4_png-1053776.JPG
View Quote
You could buy it in pieces for less, I'd get the body and the vampire V1 for its high/low setting.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#30]
definitely check out the echo velcro mounted plate with integrated (1) mlok slot or (2) surefire head compatible integrated flashlight body.   simple
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Deleted.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/146382/651BB622-2DDE-42FD-9FE5-5E06A90A377F-1053569.jpg
To be fair, I think that’s the whole thing, including a $225 flashlight head, and a $35 (?) clicky tail cap. So their proprietary body/mount combo is like $200. Still high, but possibly reasonable if you’re using it to face shoot folks in the dark.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 12:08:43 AM EDT
[#33]
i thought it was just for the body. made me wonder why they don't offer a version that just has a thin clamp for using other brand lights. it wouldn't add much weight and would probably be easier to make
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 2:49:16 AM EDT
[#34]
As TNVC Vic mentioned a Surefire M1 for the best flood but in an urban area 50yards is a stretch. The V1 will IR as well white light will reach 75yards. As for mounts the VTac, VLTOR 1" QD ring, or a standard low profile 1" scope ring will attach to a picatinny adapter on your ARC rail. For non/light duty use a InForce WML in IR/white light is a excellent choice. Because of the WML quick disconnect feature you can run a picatinny rail horizontally for task/navigation as well vertically on your ARC rail for a room lighter that can be quickly changed between the 2 positions.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 5:35:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
i thought it was just for the body. made me wonder why they don't offer a version that just has a thin clamp for using other brand lights. it wouldn't add much weight and would probably be easier to make
View Quote
Just the body is $198.

Attachment Attached File

Search S&S MAX Mount. Select the S&S link. Select helmet type. Select “no accessory components”. Bam. $198. Still pricey, but if you’re using it nightly to shoot things in the face...
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 5:28:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
You have a chinese clone of a S&S precision.

I bought the real deal and painted it black. But that chinese one probably has more articulation. I wouldn’t know though, because the clone that I bought had the threads machined incorrectly.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This last one is a genuine S&S Precision mount that I spray painted black.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top