Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2019 1:56:00 PM EDT
I know Eotechs have NV settings. Is it possible to use one that does not come equipped with the NV setting on the lowest brightness without any detrimental effects to the tubes?
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#1]
No.

Even with the NV settings, you’re able to burn in an image if you’re not careful. Can it be done, yes. Is it worth the risk, 100% no.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 2:00:14 PM EDT
[#2]
No, the nightvision setting is far beyond the lowest setting on a normal Eotech.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#3]
For some reason I thought the non night vision compatible Eotech’s would go low enough, but they just don’t have the button.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For some reason I thought the non night vision compatible Eotech’s would go low enough, but they just don’t have the button.
View Quote
That's what I heard too, but don't have any non-NV EO's to confirm.

I was of the understanding that even the lowliest 512 has an NV setting, but you need to use the intensity buttons to get there, rather than having a quick-set dedicated NV button.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
BEST way to burn a permanent reticle on your tube is to use a RDS direct mount in front of your  PVS-14.

Some in mil circles have done this on purpose.
View Quote
@TNVC, I'm using a pair of your Sentinels.

Was wondering since it won't be constantly looking through the reticle if it would matter or not.

ETA: Based on what I see on Eotech's website, the NV compatible model has 20 daylight settings and 10 others for NV devices. The others seem to have 20 only.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
BEST way to burn a permanent reticle on your tube is to use a RDS direct mount in front of your  PVS-14.

View Quote
If you can afford it, I can see how it can make sense.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Visual reference to place center of view on object being observed?
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

@TNVC, I'm using a pair of your Sentinels.

Was wondering since it won't be constantly looking through the reticle if it would matter or not.

ETA: Based on what I see on Eotech's website, the NV compatible model has 20 daylight settings and 10 others for NV devices. The others seem to have 20 only.
View Quote
if your just passively sighting through the eotech you should be fine

in a brighter urban type setting i prefer the low settings vs the nv settings

an aimpoints higher nv settings are visable to the naked eye
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Visual reference to place center of view on object being observed?
View Quote
My guess would be to turn a -14 into a stand alone red dot.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
while I killed my first pig using a non NV compatible Eotech I wouldn't recommend it, other than the occasional shot once in a blue moon.

If you really need to shoot through the tube look for a used aimpoint PRO or M68
View Quote
@TNVC_Sam you know I don't "really need to" but I want to. I'm just gonna grab an XPS3 and toss it on a Unity Riser.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 6:11:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm a big fan of the Unity Fast mounts, you'll really enjoy it for heads up shooting and shooting through the tube with NVG's
View Quote
My only regret was not grabbing your rifle in NH to give it a whirl.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#16]
As long as you're leaving the 14 on your head and not mounting it permanently behind the eotech, this shouldn't be a huge issue.

For a lot cheaper solution than buying a new eotech, grab a red-cut filter and thread it in front of your 14. That's one side effect to the aviation filters on my anvis unit (and certain variations of the LIFs/etc) - they cut visible red and green lasers much dimmer than the lightsaber that they normally appear as. Benefit is when I pull out a RDS pistol or red dot rifle, the illumination is perfectly comfortable through the NVGs rather than needing to switch them over into an NVG mode. It also helps with instruments in the car not glaring quite as bad. Sure I could see people saying you want to have those wavelengths coming through to give you the brightest possible image, but I haven't experienced detriments yet, even when experimenting side by side with one tube filtered and one unfiltered. Stars seem to pop a bit better with the filters in place.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As long as you're leaving the 14 on your head and not mounting it permanently behind the eotech, this shouldn't be a huge issue.

For a lot cheaper solution than buying a new eotech, grab a red-cut filter and thread it in front of your 14. That's one side effect to the aviation filters on my anvis unit (and certain variations of the LIFs/etc) - they cut visible red and green lasers much dimmer than the lightsaber that they normally appear as. Benefit is when I pull out a RDS pistol or red dot rifle, the illumination is perfectly comfortable through the NVGs rather than needing to switch them over into an NVG mode. It also helps with instruments in the car not glaring quite as bad. Sure I could see people saying you want to have those wavelengths coming through to give you the brightest possible image, but I haven't experienced detriments yet, even when experimenting side by side with one tube filtered and one unfiltered. Stars seem to pop a bit better with the filters in place.
View Quote
@jwramp thanks for the suggestion but I already snagged an EPS3. Should have texted me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top