Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2019 6:37:42 PM EDT
How can you tell? Real or FAKE? LIF (laser/light interference filter)

Picked one up at a decent price. It has no markings on it. How can one ascertain if it's real and going to do what it is supposed to do?
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy one of those super high power green lasers on eBay.

Hold the lif up to your eye and shine it in. If you go blind, most likely a counterfeit.

ETA: don’t do that.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 6:43:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How can you tell? Real or FAKE? LIF (laser/light interference filter)

Picked one up at a decent price. It has no markings on it. How can one ascertain if it's real and going to do what it is supposed to do?
View Quote
Photos would help.

What was the country it shipped from?

What other items has the seller sold?

Lack of markings is a significant concern.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Who on earth would bother making a fake LIF? They’re like 50 bucks.

Easy to tell. When viewed from changing angles it goes from green-ish to pink-ish.

If you have anything with a green laser, it’ll cut the visibility down by >90%.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who on earth would bother making a fake LIF? They're like 50 bucks.

Easy to tell. When viewed from changing angles it goes from green-ish to pink-ish.

If you have anything with a green laser, it'll cut the visibility down by >90%.
View Quote
That would be a fake then.

A real one would cut the light by > 99.999%

Even a faulty one should still usually achieve >99.99%
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 8:00:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That would be a fake then.

A real one would cut the light by > 99.999%

Even a faulty one should still usually achieve >99.99%
View Quote
Well, technically >90% can also be >99.9999.

You’re slippin’ CJ.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Find someone with a decent uv-vis spectrometer and check.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 10:54:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a TLR8 green laser

So it would cut that out?

What markings do your LIF filters have?

Mine has crenalations on the outer part and a gasket like ring on the end that threads into the PVS14

It shipped from a USA location
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 11:03:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link to $50 LIF filters?

All the ones I have found are $95 to $140

I found an acog LIF 32mm for $40 but the PVS14 is 30mm
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 11:44:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 12:26:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
the same people that make fake goggles. the Chinese airsoft companies...

some of them pay great attention to detail. and it would surprise me 0% if they made tinted fake LIFs to give their fake goggles the right "look"
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 12:35:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Never seen a fake LIF or at least one that I suspected might be fake. They can be found for under $50 all day long, at least that's how all mine came to me. It's an interference filter so if the tint changes appreciably when tilting the filter, it's the real deal. If it's a fake, it's a fake that is most likely every bit as good as the real thing. Pretty basic interference filters aren't a huge manufacturing or technical hurdle. If it's a cheap fake, it'll be made from colored plastic or glass and then tint won't change when tilted. Considering the only real utility of a LIF is as a nifty low profile sacrificial lens (unless you're using some very exotic lasers), there's no need to get hung up on it too much.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#12]
it turns green to pink
must be real
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
it turns green to pink
must be real
View Quote
Yup.

Also, no distinguishing markings on the LIF. Crenellations on front bezel only.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 8:16:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I actually happen to have a small stash of brand new surplus LIFs that I found in the bottom of a tough box that was in a DRMO lot I won at an auction.

Some of them have stickers on the little black case they come in, but most are completely un-marked, aside from the labeling on the little plastic bag they come in. I’ve never seen a LIF that had markings on the optical cell itself, except for the old PVS7 ones but I’m sure you’re referring to the ones that are used on PVS14 glass
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 7:41:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Green laser won't shine through and will reflect off of it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok - thanks for the help
I got this one off ebay - last one they had (claimed)

Anyone have links to $50 LIF filters ?
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ok - thanks for the help
I got this one off ebay - last one they had (claimed)

Anyone have links to $50 LIF filters ?
View Quote
I have some id sell for 40 lol
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just don't know what the appeal is to LIF's in the common world environment...
View Quote
Also, LIFs exact a small toll in tube performance as well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
A HD sacrifical lens.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Makes it hard to signal the poors when you can't even see your own green laser.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Having used LIFs a good bit around military hardware, IMHO, the performance loss is noticeable enough that unless I was really going to be around the types of equipment that LIFs are supposed to provide protection from, I would avoid using them, and they can be especially problematic if used with many units that have visible green lasers like the MAWL, RAID-X, and many DBAL models.

The Wilcox thread-in protective cap uses a clear, replaceable lens and costs around $30 with no questions about source or legality, and less reduction in performance for the same amount, if not more actual physical barrier protection to the optical lens than an LIF.

The clear press-on sacrificial lens cover also serves the same purpose, and you can usually find those second-hand/surplus for a dime a dozen--most lens accessories that you might use that you can't use with the press-on cover come with sacrificial lenses themselves, like the Hoplite or Tarsier.

Honestly, considering that they're not going to protect you from most common lasers or radiation sources, they're often expensive and almost always questionably acquired, especially if cheap, I think that most people like LIFs either a) because they don't understand what they do and don't do, or b) because they look cool... when you're looking at the googles, but not through them.

::shrug::

~Augee
View Quote
I gave up on LIFs a few years ago for these same reasons. That, and the impossibility of tracking provenance, tips the balance against them. All of my NODs are now LIF-less.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 11:59:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Not a fan of LIFs, not averse to using them either. None of my NVDs have a LIF installed except in two circumstances, when loaned to a friend so I don't get back a PVS-14 that has fingerprint smudges all over the objective or when I am in an area with heavy brush or lots of fine sand and specially fine blowing sand. All corner cases. A sacrificial filter would definitely be a viable (and proper) solution but LIFs can be found cheap enough and their notch response is useful around the lab for me.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#27]
The only real utility of LIFs for average Joe's is to protect NVG's from green laser strikes which admittedly the current crop of civ legal lasers all have as an option.

The only LIF I care about having is the one on my ACOG, as the magnified optic can further focus a green laser's reflection or splash and I'm wary of eye damage.

I wear IR laser lens shooting glasses every time I shoot at night.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top