Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2019 11:47:37 PM EDT
Any of you by any chance have any experience with harris wp tubes? lookin to get a set at a very good price would love to know your guys opinions on clairty and how they compare to l3 wp thanks !!
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:41:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Harris is thin filmed so not as bright in the real darkness. Otherwise they are great.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:53:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 6:28:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Any of you by any chance have any experience with harris wp tubes? lookin to get a set at a very good price would love to know your guys opinions on clairty and how they compare to l3 wp thanks !!
View Quote
I run a pair of NVD BNVD ULs with Harris WP tubes.  Had them about two months now with probably twenty hours behind them.  I love them and wouldn't hesitate at all buying them again.  I don't believe "clarity: would be an issue with any quality tube be it green or WP.  I relate that to more of a tube performance and ability to focus issue.

In all my evaluations during the decision making process I found the L3 unfilmed WP tubes to be really bright and the image very white at times, especially if there was allot of ambient light .  Bright enough that it really bothered me.  Most of the devices I evaluated where all in the bino platform and didnt have manual gain control.  I typically tend to run all my NODs with the gain down or lower as I see much more contrast and depth while eliminating eye fatigue after hours behind the tubes.  Based on the fact that I had heard that the Harris tubes didnt appear as bright I decided as long as I could get a really good set of matched Harris WP tubes I would give them a try.  I am very happy with them.

No doubt that the L3 tubes appear brighter but in reality they are whiter in image appearance if that makes any sense.  I don't believe from a performance perspective that equal L3 vs Harris one has the ability to see in darker areas over the other because we say brighter.  There is a tint with the Harris tubes, which I guess I will call slightly blueish maybe that the L3 definitely don't have.  You should be able to see that in the links Will posted.  Just notice the slight hue as the tubes in the video are not equal.

Honestly at this point its natural to me just as green becomes natural to the brain after a while.

If the price and spec are good don't hesitate.  You should have no regrets.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I liked the thin-film Harris WP tubes I had access to for a while. I found them relatively indistinguishable from my L3 filmless, although I didn't have spec sheets on the Harris to compare to see how the specs actually stacked up. However the Harris ones I had weren't autogated.

The Harris had a fairly pronounced multichannel plate oversaturation, which roughly translates to when I would look at something bright with them, the image would get a tracing effect that would fade after some seconds. According to the experts here that wasn't something to get worried about or all that uncommon.

The L3 filmless didn't have that at all, but they did have some fixed pattern noise in high light.

So, my conclusion was, the Harris thin films were excellent and pretty on-par with the L3 filmless (but I do not have 'super spec' filmless tubes by any means)
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 9:56:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I run a pair of NVD BNVD ULs with Harris WP tubes.  Had them about two months now with probably twenty hours behind them.  I love them and wouldn't hesitate at all buying them again.  I don't believe "clarity: would be an issue with any quality tube be it green or WP.  I relate that to more of a tube performance and ability to focus issue.

In all my evaluations during the decision making process I found the L3 unfilmed WP tubes to be really bright and the image very white at times, especially if there was allot of ambient light .  Bright enough that it really bothered me.  Most of the devices I evaluated where all in the bino platform and didnt have manual gain control.  I typically tend to run all my NODs with the gain down or lower as I see much more contrast and depth while eliminating eye fatigue after hours behind the tubes.  Based on the fact that I had heard that the Harris tubes didnt appear as bright I decided as long as I could get a really good set of matched Harris WP tubes I would give them a try.  I am very happy with them.

No doubt that the L3 tubes appear brighter but in reality they are whiter in image appearance if that makes any sense.  I don't believe from a performance perspective that equal L3 vs Harris one has the ability to see in darker areas over the other because we say brighter.  There is a tint with the Harris tubes, which I guess I will call slightly blueish maybe that the L3 definitely don't have.  You should be able to see that in the links Will posted.  Just notice the slight hue as the tubes in the video are not equal.

Honestly at this point its natural to me just as green becomes natural to the brain after a while.

If the price and spec are good don't hesitate.  You should have no regrets.
View Quote
Thank you ! I appreciate the response ! its settled im getting those harris tubes !
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I liked the thin-film Harris WP tubes I had access to for a while. I found them relatively indistinguishable from my L3 filmless, although I didn't have spec sheets on the Harris to compare to see how the specs actually stacked up. However the Harris ones I had weren't autogated.

The Harris had a fairly pronounced multichannel plate oversaturation, which roughly translates to when I would look at something bright with them, the image would get a tracing effect that would fade after some seconds. According to the experts here that wasn't something to get worried about or all that uncommon.

The L3 filmless didn't have that at all, but they did have some fixed pattern noise in high light.

So, my conclusion was, the Harris thin films were excellent and pretty on-par with the L3 filmless (but I do not have 'super spec' filmless tubes by any means)
View Quote
Ive noticed that with the set of green tubes i have and to my knowledge they are ITT pinnacles, first time this ever happened i crapped myself because i was using them outside with street lights lol
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Wow thank you for these! the image quality vs l3 is minor im sure it would be a huge difference in real dark places but that isnt a deal breaker for me as i dont find myself ever being in a super dark place with out an illuminator of sorts
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top