Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2019 10:14:58 AM EDT
LGS has some used EMX MK2 and MK2A-1 thermal scopes, looking at some older posts it appears as though they are rather old. Are they still worth fooling with?
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 4:06:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I love mine! You can get them serviced thru Blackwolf Systems. What kind of price are you seeing?
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:34:04 PM EDT
[#2]
MK2 for $1099 and MK2-A1 for $1499. How does it compare to some of the newer ones. I am not interested in a lot of bells and whistles. I just want a good crisp image.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ll call you a dumbass for all eternity if you don’t buy one.

Please PM me with your LGS name.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 10:52:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Are they that good!
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 5:39:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are they that good!
View Quote
They’re not epic, but that price sure is for what you get. It’s a solid scope and easily beats the Flir RS models. Image quality is solid.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They’re not epic, but that price sure is for what you get. It’s a solid scope and easily beats the Flir RS models. Image quality is solid.
View Quote
Well I put one on hold until I could get by the store and check it out. I tried to find a PDF manual on this unit, but came up empty.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Well I put one on hold until I could get by the store and check it out. I tried to find a PDF manual on this unit, but came up empty.
View Quote
I'll bet you won't be disappointed! I'll see if I can find my manual and try and scan it into a PDF for ya. I'll get back with you if I can find it.

Update> Found the manual, but it's copyrighted so I can't scan it and send it out. Sent a product overview with specs instead.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 10:34:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'll bet you won't be disappointed! I'll see if I can find my manual and try and scan it into a PDF for ya. I'll get back with you if I can find it.

Update> Found the manual, but it's copyrighted so I can't scan it and send it out. Sent a product overview with specs instead.
View Quote
OK thanks! I am excited to get one in my hands and try it out.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Well my willpower failed me and I bought one (already had one)! Was told on Wednesday that they had 18 in sock (17 now), so I couldn't resist, as they are a good solid, simple to use scope with decent resolution.

They also can use an accessory cable for external power and video. The cable must be ordered from EMX.

I'm told that EMX was recently acquired by Solar Stik. Hopefully service and accessories won't be a problem under the new ownership.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Reproducing a manual is an educational use, which is fair use of a copyrighted material, unless I'm missing something.

Besides... a copyright holder would have to become aware of any case of infringement AND be able to prove damages in a tort suit (which is civil, not criminal).
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Can someone post the link to where you are purchasing these?
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Reproducing a manual is an educational use, which is fair use of a copyrighted material, unless I'm missing something.

Besides... a copyright holder would have to become aware of any case of infringement AND be able to prove damages in a tort suit (which is civil, not criminal).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL! With that in mind, almost anything could be considered educational! Cookbooks, How too's, etc...........
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well my willpower failed me and I bought one (already had one)! Was told on Wednesday that they had 18 in sock (17 now), so I couldn't resist, as they are a good solid, simple to use scope with decent resolution.

They also can use an accessory cable for external power and video. The cable must be ordered from EMX.

I'm told that EMX was recently acquired by Solar Stik. Hopefully service and accessories won't be a problem under the new ownership.
View Quote
My willpower to resist  fails me quite frequently. I hope to be able to check one out this Saturday. I looked at the Solar Stik webpage, but did not see any thermal sights. The EMX webpage is up and I get an automated menu system when I call the number. But when I select the option for the operator I get a mail box is full message.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep, me too! I sent an Email to the rep from the company. We'll see how he/she responds I guess?
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 9:05:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Well its mine now. It is built like a tank. It's very simple with only the polarity and zoom buttons. The resolution is better than what I expected. I will try to take it out tonight and play with some. I did notice it takes some good batteries to make it happy. I had some used ones for my weapon lights and it wouldn't run it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 11:01:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Congrats! I think you will be happy with i!!  
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Can someone post the link to where you are purchasing these?
View Quote
Here you go, they just showed up on the website.

https://clydearmory.com/agency-trade-in-emx-mk2a-1-thermal-scope.html
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#18]
So have you tried it out yet?
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So have you tried it out yet?
View Quote
Yep it works great. Now all I need to do is get it zeroed on whatever I decide to use it on. I wish it had a battery level indicator on the display. It goes dead with no warning when the batteries are low. Did yours arrive yet?
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Yep, mine came today! The good is that it looks brand new like it was never used. The bad is that there was no case or manual. The sales floor guys said it was a full kit, but the Internet guy said he didn't thunk so. Oh well, I guess ya gotta take the good with the bad! I aready have my empty case and manual from my other one. This one is so nice I put it in the case and likely won't use it for awhile.

I'm happy!  
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yep, mine came today! The good is that it looks brand new like it was never used. The bad is that there was no case or manual. The sales floor guys said it was a full kit, but the Internet guy said he didn't thunk so. Oh well, I guess ya gotta take the good with the bad! I aready have my empty case and manual from my other one. This one is so nice I put it in the case and likely won't use it for awhile.

I'm happy!  
View Quote
The guy I talked to told me no manual or case with the unit when I called about it. Mine was in great shape with only a few scratches on it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#22]
From what tech told me that made my cable at EMX,  they're rated for as high as .308 caliber.

As I mentioned before, I hope they get things going good at EMX so that I can order another cable. It allows you use exterior video and power on it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I can’t seem to find a manual online, what temperatures are these units rated down to?

I only ask because of the comments about short battery life and unknown availability of external power cables.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Here you go! The short battery life is made up for by having the fast start up time. You just turn it off when not being used. The fast start up is quick.

PHYSICAL
Operating Temperature: -20°C to +85°C
Storage Temperature: -40°C to 105°C
Input Voltage: 6-32 VDC or 2.5-4 VDC (thru low voltage input)
Input Power: <1.2 W, thru 6-32 VDC input
@ 25°C ambient
<0.8W, thru 2.5-4 VDC input @ 25°C ambient
Weight: 2.4 lbs (without batteries)
Length: 10 3/4" (L)
DETECTOR
Material: MK2A-1 - Amorphous Silicon Microbolometer (320 x 240 pixel
array with 640 x 480 resolution at the eyepiece and 640 x 480
resolution available at the video out jack.)
Pitch: 30im
Spectral Response: 7-14i.tm filter bandwidth
OPTICAL
FOV:
12 degree x 9 degrees (Detect Man-Sized Target out to 1 Km)
(Optional 25 and 50 degree lenses available)
PERFORMANCE
Ambient Operating Range: -20°C to +85°C
Start-Up Time: - 2 Sec
Contrast/Brightness: Automatic/Advanced Image Processing
Moving Parts: Micro Shutter (FPA touch up)
Video Refresh Rate: 30 Hz Real-time
Video Output Format: Analog: SMPTE - 170M (NTSC)
Run Time >4.0 hr on three CR-123 batteries
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Here you go! The short battery life is made up for by having the fast start up time. You just turn it off when not being used. The fast start up is quick.

PHYSICAL
Operating Temperature: -20°C to +85°C
Storage Temperature: -40°C to 105°C
Input Voltage: 6-32 VDC or 2.5-4 VDC (thru low voltage input)
Input Power: <1.2 W, thru 6-32 VDC input
@ 25°C ambient
<0.8W, thru 2.5-4 VDC input @ 25°C ambient
Weight: 2.4 lbs (without batteries)
Length: 10 3/4" (L)
DETECTOR
OPTICAL
FOV:
PERFORMANCE
Ambient Operating Range: -20°C to +85°C
Start-Up Time: - 2 Sec
Contrast/Brightness: Automatic/Advanced Image Processing
Moving Parts: Micro Shutter (FPA touch up)
Video Refresh Rate: 30 Hz Real-time
Video Output Format: Analog: SMPTE - 170M (NTSC)
Run Time >4.0 hr on three CR-123 batteries
View Quote
Thanks, kind of sucks, I don’t think it’ll work for my purposes.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 12:11:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just curious, what in the specs is so bad?
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 12:30:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The bottom end of the operating temperatures.  -20*C is -4*F.  My purpose for this would be coyote hunting at night, in the winter, in ND.  While every night isn’t that cold, it can get colder than that and I’d rather not have gear be the deciding factor if I get to hunt or not.

Being honest, I’m not entirely sure if anything on the market in the thermal department can meet my needs as I haven’t been looking too hard.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 8:03:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The bottom end of the operating temperatures.  -20*C is -4*F.  My purpose for this would be coyote hunting at night, in the winter, in ND.  While every night isn’t that cold, it can get colder than that and I’d rather not have gear be the deciding factor if I get to hunt or not.

Being honest, I’m not entirely sure if anything on the market in the thermal department can meet my needs as I haven’t been looking too hard.
View Quote
It will still work below -4, contrast will start to degrade that’s all. But critters will still show up very well.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It will still work below -4, contrast will start to degrade that’s all. But critters will still show up very well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s good to hear, I’m new to thermal, so thought the operating temp may prevent it from working properly at all.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Does anyone know of an Allan Harris that was a service tech for EMX at Blackwolf systems? If I could locate him, he could tell us what's going on with EMX.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Does anyone know of an Allan Harris that was a service tech for EMX at Blackwolf systems? If I could locate him, he could tell us what's going on with EMX.
View Quote
Its strange that the phones are still up if they are out of business. Somebody must be paying the bill.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 7:03:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Did you get the mk2 or the mk2 a1?  How us the performance? Looking to pick one up.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Did you get the mk2 or the mk2 a1?  How us the performance? Looking to pick you up.
View Quote
MK2A-1, in my opinion it is a much better sight compared to the MK2 I compared it to.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks might hold off for a flir 223 .
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

DETECTOR
OPTICAL
FOV:
PERFORMANCE
View Quote
Based upon the above specs what magnification does this unit have? 1x 2x etc. ? The objective measures around 50mm in diameter if that helps. I think there is some kind of formula you can use if you know the FOV, objective size and sensor pitch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top