Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/2/2019 2:33:33 PM EDT
(This is in regards to shooting under NODs with an 11.3" AR)

TLR-VIR II

This light isn't out yet, saw one vendor with a June arrival date. 300 Lumens White Light or IR Light + IR LASER. Street price looks to be in the low to mid $300's.
For under 100 yards, is this an affordable solution for shooting under night vision? I'm trying to "try out" limited visibility shooting without burying the credit card.
I can get the Holosun LS420G from one of my suppliers for dealer cost - but it's still more than the TLR. I don't see a need for a visible LASER, and I'm trying to get 1
unit that does it all.

Just getting into this, so I may be way off in my thinking.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Following...looked interesting.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Looking forward to getting my hands on this new model.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Does it fit the same holsters as TLR-1 ?
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 4:05:13 PM EDT
[#4]
The X400v is easily good enough for a 100 yard long gun. I’d bet the TLR can do the same, or close. I wouldn’t hesitate to put it on an SBR.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 4:39:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
(This is in regards to shooting under NODs with an 11.3" AR)

TLR-VIR II

This light isn't out yet, saw one vendor with a June arrival date. 300 Lumens White Light or IR Light + IR LASER. Street price looks to be in the low to mid $300's.
For under 100 yards, is this an affordable solution for shooting under night vision? I'm trying to "try out" limited visibility shooting without burying the credit card.
I can get the Holosun LS420G from one of my suppliers for dealer cost - but it's still more than the TLR. I don't see a need for a visible LASER, and I'm trying to get 1
unit that does it all.

Just getting into this, so I may be way off in my thinking.
View Quote

Slaved visible lasers make sighting the thing in a breeze.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 5:47:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
My Mawl agrees
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My Mawl agrees
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Mawl agrees
If it’s like a 300V your illumination is limited to 25-50 yards effective imo.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 12:49:58 AM EDT
[#8]
The Holosun LS117IR and a Streamlight 88704 Super Tac IR light would run about the same $ and give you greater distance.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 1:20:06 AM EDT
[#9]
IMHO pistol laser are ok for carbines, but I wouldn't think they'd hold zero reliably vs a rifle LAM.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 10:50:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Considering it for a Rattler myself.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Holosun LS117IR and a Streamlight 88704 Super Tac IR light would run about the same $ and give you greater distance.
View Quote
I'll check them out, thanks!
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
IMHO pistol laser are ok for carbines, but I wouldn't think they'd hold zero reliably vs a rifle LAM.
View Quote
For under 100 yards? I’d bet money that the TLR will easily hold zero. At that distance a couple MOA isn’t a big deal anyway.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 12:33:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is the exact same thing I want to know.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 8:31:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
According to streamlight it will fit but after the issues of TLR1 HLs not fitting some holsters made for earlier models it may be a case by case basis.

Evidently there were some early flaws with issues in the beam patterns and the IR giving off a similar signature to that of a red lense flashlight. I know that feedback was provided to the factory but we will have to see if they have been updated.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 3:04:54 AM EDT
[#15]
This TLR-VIR II Gun Light w IR laser might just be what I am looking for on each of my 2 Smith & Wesson .22 Compact 's. I have Surefire X400VBIRC'S  on all my other handguns and am happy with it. Something about spending $800.00 x 2 to get 2 more Surefire X400V-B-IRC'S on a 299.00 gun just doesnt appeal to me inless I have to.

I'll have to check.pricing on these lights to see if Ill go with them on the .22 pistols.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

For under 100 yards? I’d bet money that the TLR will easily hold zero. At that distance a couple MOA isn’t a big deal anyway.
View Quote
For punching paper/steel not so much, but for everything else I would want any aiming device to retain zero without question. Another thing to consider when using a laser is knowing your offsets.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a TLR 2IR eye safe
(IR light, IR LASER- no click adjustable w/e settings)

It has held zero on both a 10.5" 5.56 & a 10.5" 300blk well enough to kill deer out to 125yds
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 9:48:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I think about the only thing that I don't like about this light is the fact that you can't use the IR illuminator and IR laser without the other.  There are times and I do not want the illuminator on and I only want to use the IR laser.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 2:58:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think about the only thing that I don't like about this light is the fact that you can't use the IR illuminator and IR laser without the other.  There are times and I do not want the illuminator on and I only want to use the IR laser.
View Quote
I think if I'm going to be that picky, I'll have brought a rifle with a DBAL/PEQ/whatever
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 5:23:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think if I'm going to be that picky, I'll have brought a rifle with a DBAL/PEQ/whatever
View Quote
I'm referring to use on hanguns. I'm looking for an alternative to spending 800.00 on a Surefire X400V-B-IRC on a S&W Compact .22 pistol. The Surefire allows Vis Illuminator only, IR Illuminator only, IR Laser only, IR Illuminator and IR laser in conjunction.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Really curious to see reviews once these things start picking up.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 7:30:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Any reviews out on these yet? I can't find anything
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Just ordered one from Flashlight Outlet for my FNX-T.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 12:22:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Following is info for the Streamlight TLR VIR 2 - dual white/IR illum with IR laser.

Same form factor as TLR1, so fully holster compatible with TLR1 or TLR2. Tested with custom holsters, safariland, blade tech, galco, shtf gear and several unmarked. Haven't found a TLR1 holster it didnt work with. (Glock 17, Glock 19, Sig 229, Sig 226, 1911, M&P)

Power of white/IR illum is great for pistol distances. If you're exceeding 50-75m at night go to long gun tbh. IR laser is easily usable to 350m.

Runs on a single CR123, the IR laser module takes up the space of the second battery location.

Updated rear door (battery door/cover) is an improvement over the TLR1, more robust.  This also means the pressure switch rear door is not compatible for carbine use.

IR laser offset is much smaller than other offerings vertically, and slightly off center horizontally. Zerod at 35m, it was easy to ring 8" steel at 50m and torso size at 100m.

Got mine from Flashlight Outlet in record speed when everyone else was backordered. Larry over there is a stand up dude, highly recommend.

Personally, I'm very excited about it. Have a bit over a month use, several full nights and a couple partials. Some square range, some hunting and general tom foolery. In the process of swapping out x300V and TLR2 IR off my pistols in favor of VIR 2.

Pics and vids below for those interested. Some comparisons under nods and detailed pics.

Tagging those who expressed interest
@mickdonaldson
@tomcat0403
@Actiondiver
@smeeg
@Whiskey1Alpha
@ChrisNTN
@SpyHawk
@TCBA_Joe
@Wigglesdabum
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Side question, how are you taking video under your nods?

I was looking into the TLR-VIRII I might actually get it now seeing how they work under nods.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Video was done with FPRS 1080p recording system. Fits over the eye piece and records in real time while still leaving the PVS14 90% viewable. Out of production now, but other similar offerings exist.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the review and info!
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#29]
good info here.

I was on the fence about this one a couple weeks ago. I was mounting on a pistol so I decided to give a holosun IR laser a try since it was only $250 and was gonna be rifle mounted.
still this new offer looks interesting
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 12:03:24 PM EDT
[#30]
i also got mine from Flashlight Outlet.

i took my TLR VIR 2 out last night and used it on my pistol.  it was easy to co-align with my RDS.  adjustments are smooth, no clicks.

my complaint... the illuminator is kind of weak.  the illuminator is more of a flood rather than a beam, especially vs a SF X300V.  also the IR laser and IR illuminator on at both times is different.

i still don't know if i'll keep it on the pistol or maybe try it on a 22LR SBR upper.

but definitely cool.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#31]
I have one of these on a GHM9 and really like it for that purpose.  I wouldnt recommend it for a rifle.  The illuminator isnt crazy strong but works well for 50-75 yds.  Thats about as far as i dare shoot the GHM9 at a hog.  For the price its a good piece of kit.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 10:31:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Honestly, I kind of wish they had made it for an 18350 instead of a CR123, which is very similar is size.

The CR123 can do about 1-1.5 amps of output, whereas the 18350 can do around 7-8 amps as I understand it (i'm no battery expert, so don't quote my exact numbers). This is why Modlite is rocking that mini-scout with a zillion candella on an 18350.

Maybe something like a Dual Fuel that could take 1x CR123 or 1x 18350 for logistics reasons. That would be cool.

Listen to the recent Primary and Secondary Modcast episode on lights, they go into great detail on why the CR123 had reached the end of the road. PS: I think you need to listen to the podcast, I don't think they uploaded that one to YouTube.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Honestly, I kind of wish they had made it for an 18350 instead of a CR123, which is very similar is size.
View Quote
I've been a flashlight nerd for a good, long while, and I've literally never heard of a 18350 until your post.  So that's probably precisely why Streamlight didn't go with an 18350.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've been a flashlight nerd for a good, long while, and I've literally never heard of a 18350 until your post.  So that's probably precisely why Streamlight didn't go with an 18350.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My DBAL takes 123A's. I'm good with not needing another battery type for night time stuff. (In addition to AA's for the 14 of course.)

Has anyone tried rechargeable CR123A's in Streamlights? Any quality issues?
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Has anybody tested the return to zero on these yet? You change batteries the same as on a regular TLR right, so removal is required to change batteries? I'm really tempted to get one of these but if run time is short and the don't return to zero after a battery change, it might be a no go. Any experiences with this yet?
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#37]
FYI, I reached out to Streamlight about whether they planned to offer a remote switch door that interfaces with the VIR or VIR II.  The answer was no.  I may have to rethink how I want to set up my 9mm SBR.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I really hope 18350s become more mainstream. Might bring the size of pistol lights down so we have to stop choosing between power and size.
View Quote
Agreed. Really not a lot of 18650 options either. So much more usefulness than 123 primary’s.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
FYI, I reached out to Streamlight about whether they planned to offer a remote switch door that interfaces with the VIR or VIR II.  The answer was no.  I may have to rethink how I want to set up my 9mm SBR.
View Quote
Oof. I was considering one for my MP5 SBR... no remote switch?! Theyre shooting themselves in the foot on that. I thought they were extremely proud of this one, theyre really not doing one? the X300V is a little bright for indoor use, and the VIR-II seemed a perfect setup. Guess i’ll stick to the X300V and Perst-1/IR for now
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Oof. I was considering one for my MP5 SBR... no remote switch?! Theyre shooting themselves in the foot on that. I thought they were extremely proud of this one, theyre really not doing one? the X300V is a little bright for indoor use, and the VIR-II seemed a perfect setup. Guess i’ll stick to the X300V and Perst-1/IR for now
View Quote
I was thinking the same thing for my Scorpion K. I am going to do some closer comparisons tomorrow to see if it can be achieved by modifying the "ledge" they added to the underside of the VIR body. I'll post here with what I find either way.

I'm tempted to email the SL rep back with some sass, as they even list the remote switch door as an accessory on the VIR pages...
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:21:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Damn, i swear i read somewhere that it will take tlr1 doors :(
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#42]
So, I did a little testing and learned that the TLR-1 remote switch (69130) DOES attach to the VIR model (69190). Not sure why Streamlight rep said they didn't.  The interfaces are different, see below pic.  The VIR models have an extra "shelf" under the door that protrudes to the rear.  I don't have a VIR II (69191 or 69192), or the locking remote door (69161) to test, but they appear to be the same as the ones I do have.  After receiving the VIR II (69192), the remote switches DO NOT work with the unit.  See new post below.

The shelf interfaces with an extra tab on the bottom of the normal VIR switch door.  The shelf is the red arrow, the extra tab on the standard VIR door is the green arrow.  The "normal" TLR 1 doors do not have the tab (yellow arrow).

The VIR model still has the recess inside the battery compartment for the "normal" door tab. Since you have to rotate the door as you install it, I was able to gently persuade the remote switch door past the new shelf. You can see below that the remote door clears the shelf, but doesn't lock into it.

And, just for proof that I am a happy boy and going to order the VIR II shortly. See post below with update, remote switch door does not work with VIR II.

Link Posted: 8/1/2019 12:11:16 PM EDT
[#43]
I think it's more of a reliability issue. MIL/LE wants the battery to be stored for decade and work right out of the box. No rechargeable lithium battery can do that. Also performance under temperature, charger supply, cost, protection circuit/over-discharge n stuff. I had a X300 went lost for literally 10 years and still lights right up when I finally find it. I can imagine that a 18350 would be good for civilian market but if they have to make just one model that would be 123a, same for surefire.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#44]
So, got the VIR II in hand... and I am no longer a happy boy.  In short, the remote switch doors do NOT work with the VIR II.

Below is the VIR II, and the door looks similar from the outside, with the little "shelf" under the battery door/switch.

After closer inspection, the doors are very different.  Below is the latch for the door (closed/tight).  Note that the metal spring clips over the cross-pin in the flashlight body.  You don't cam the lever shut, you have to snap the little latch over the pin.

Here is the latch unhooked from the pin.  What's that wire thingy pointing towards the lens?  Glad you asked!

Streamlight decided to attach a dummy cord, er... wire to the door.  It won't come off or rotate out of the way; you have to remove the rail key first.  That requires removal of a tiny c-clip and the cross-bolt/rail bolt.

Looking inside the battery housing, I discovered there was no recess for the normal TLR 1 doors.

While we are talking about the doors, the metal spring latch/pin is at a different height, and I don't know how you could even modify the flashlight body or a TLR 1 door to work. VIR II door on left, standard door on right.

While I am happy with the size/price/capability of the unit, I'm sorely disappointed that Streamlight made a "TLR" that doesn't work with some TLR accessories (especially the remote switch door).  I emailed the Streamlight rep and requested they remove the remote switch door as an accessory listed under the TLR VIR II page if it doesn't work. Hope I saved someone else some money, as I would have probably gone with a DBAL-RL or Surefire X400 instead for my Scorpion K.

So close Streamlight... so, so close...
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 7:44:25 AM EDT
[#45]
This is actually a huge disappointment. I was looking forward to these lights specifically for the fact they would plug in easily with the pressure switches. Just looks like a potential waste of a light. At the price they are charging I don't know why they aren't just including a pressure pad door in the box.

I fully understand that everyone has slowly moved away from using pistol lights/lasers on long rifles, given the market has changed enough... But this seems like it would be incredibly cheap to make and then you can continue to use it for your future generations of 2 cell pistol lights.
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#46]
is that a custom holster for the VIR? or a tlr1 holster?
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
is that a custom holster for the VIR? or a tlr1 holster?
View Quote
They work perfectly in regular TLR 1 holsters, actually a bit better even than HLs if the holster was sized for an original S model.

About halfway through my T&E I I don't know that I fault streamlight for not making it remote switch compatible. These are definitely a handgun light they do not have the power or beam concentration to be used on a rifle. I suppose they might be adequate for a subgun.

As I pistol light with IR laser/illum I am very happy and for a third of the price of the surefire will be buying at least 1 personally if I can't get my chain of command to purchase them for everyone.
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 10:42:57 PM EDT
[#48]
I put mine on a rifle. Perfect for dense woods or building searching with no ambient light. the laser is not blinding with a huge bloom and is visible to at least 100 yards (can’t find farther to try at the moment).

An affordable lower power unit was just what I was looking for.

A pressure pad would make it perfect but I’m still going to enjoy using it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

They work perfectly in regular TLR 1 holsters, actually a bit better even than HLs if the holster was sized for an original S model.

About halfway through my T&E I I don't know that I fault streamlight for not making it remote switch compatible. These are definitely a handgun light they do not have the power or beam concentration to be used on a rifle. I suppose they might be adequate for a subgun.

As I pistol light with IR laser/illum I am very happy and for a third of the price of the surefire will be buying at least 1 personally if I can't get my chain of command to purchase them for everyone.
View Quote
Gcode told me their TLR1 holsters would not work with TLR VIR. I might just buy another holster and hope it works.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#50]
My TLR VIR II came in a few nights ago. I have not had a chance to shoot with it yet, but I've played around enough to think I like it. The white light is not as weak as I was expecting. The IR light and laser seem good for anything within 50-75 yards, maybe 100. I'm gonna go ahead and run it on my duty sidearm. I'm also thinking it's sufficient for my shorter AR's. I'd really like to find the front sight posts that allow a pistol light head to pass through. I cannot find the Rosch Works front sights anymore and the Tango Down front sight is specific to the Surefire XC1. Does anybody know a source for front sight towers that would allow the bezel of a pistol light to pass through?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top