[#1]
I got an email too.....
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#2]
got one.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 4:58:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Thieves Suck.
Really hate it if some of you get screwed because of this POS!
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I just talked to Hunter. At this point they are just trying to get copies of all the communication you have had with him. He did say not to sell the tubes, but I sold mine like a year or two ago... not sure if they will try to follow the trail, but I don't even know if I could figure out who I sold it to back then.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Just got a call from Hunter as well about the BNVDs I putchased
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 6:11:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I also got an email. Hopefully they can provide a big list of serials to run against. Otherwise, I don't know how they are going to track them down. I think mine are long gone, too, as this was several years ago.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I had been contemplating selling my setup to fund something else. Should have done that sooner. I haven’t received any contact from HSI but I’m sure I will.

My brother is an agent over there, too. Wonder if he knows Hunter?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I received an email as well, I bought a pvs7 tube from him last year. Hunter was a good guy to chat with though.

According to google “lamneth” is a night vision tube development engineer for ITT.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#9]
quick question - but why would DHS be involved on a commercial tube theft involving an internal employee? thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
quick question - but why would DHS be involved on a commercial tube theft involving an internal employee? thoughts?
View Quote
I’m guessing many tubes of varying specs were sold to US GOV for testing and evaluation.

They were likely “written off” as broken and scavenged.

Just a WAG though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 8:56:13 PM EDT
[#11]
but they were commercial grade tubes sold or traded to a commercial entity, not the gov. does asu-nvg professionally refurb mil aviation goggles?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
They’ll likely classify it under the aegis of anti proliferation of arms/equipment. The tubes in question are us govt property and it apparently falls to their jurisdiction to investigate. My guess is all sorts of federal agencies use commercial spec tubes vs mil contract tubes. HSI does all kinds of fun stuff.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
That question has been running through my head all evening, I was looking through lamneth’s feedback/sales and looks like he’s been doing this a few years....nearly all of them “appeared” to be commercial tubes which has me scratching my head
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Can someone also help put the pieces together how an itt employee stealing from its employer was also stealing photonis tubes as stated in the OP and that started this whole thing?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#15]
My understanding is that he used to work for ITT - he is listed on the Patent for Curved MCP Channels..., but recently worked for ASU-NVG, who was the employer/victim in this situation. The more I read up on ASU-NVG, the more jealous I am that this guy threw away a perfectly good career in a field I find incredibly interesting.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Can someone also help put the pieces together how an itt employee stealing from its employer was also stealing photonis tubes as stated in the OP and that started this whole thing?
View Quote
I don't think he has worked for ITT for a few years. I think he worked for a private company since like 2015.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Just a guess, but would it be possible that he was taking mil-tubes and “rebranding” as commercial units?

Also, it is not uncommon for companies to buy the products of competitors to see how they stand up to your own products and reverse engineer them..
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
but they were commercial grade tubes sold or traded to a commercial entity, not the gov. does asu-nvg professionally refurb mil aviation goggles?
View Quote
I was told they purchased the tubes and placed them into PVS15s and sold them to .fedgov for testing and eval purposes.

I don’t know who Lamneth worked for when he took the tubes. However, if if he was working for ITT, maybe ITT has the contract for repair at whatever facility and he was that guy and was writing goggles/units off and reselling the expensive bits?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:28:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just a guess, but would it be possible that he was taking mil-tubes and “rebranding” as commercial units?

Also, it is not uncommon for companies to buy the products of competitors to see how they stand up to your own products and reverse engineer them..
View Quote
Wouldn’t shock me either...
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Would they get involved if he was selling to non-citizens who were exporting?

Edit to add: or selling to citizens who then exported?

Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:22:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Got the e-mail too, looks like I’ll be contacting him tomorrow. Doubt any tube the guy sold would have been legitimately obtained, oh well, was looking to upgrade my shit anyway.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 12:00:07 AM EDT
[#22]
DHS/HSI can investigate the case through several avenues within it's purview.

Considering if the private company requests to prosecute.
I can think of Wire Fraud, Money Laundering, Embezzlement, Mail Fraud. That's just the financial side. The actual tubes themselves open up more areas for charging. HSI has derived ITAR authority as well.

If you think you are going to keep your tubes, your not.

Nevermind considering actual physical evidence (tubes) needed to take the case to trial.

If your property was stolen, you'd want it back wouldn't you?
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Is he trying to scare people into doing business with him or just trying to to douche on the folks that just got fucked? Either way that’s some pretty pathetic marketing right there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#25]
He doesn't do business or sell anything haha.

He just makes memes
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
He doesn't do business or sell anything haha.

He just makes memes
View Quote
I got mixed up, that link let me to this one. This is what I was referring to.

Instagram
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#27]
wow, that is in really poor taste.  i've sent glynn quite a bit of business through the past few years. guess that'll be stopping.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Damn, at first I fapped to op's story then continued reading and realized this turned into a giant shit show. Op is definitely the only one gonna come out on top. Sorry for all you that may have to give up your tube.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Any updates from people who got an email?
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Any updates from people who got an email?
View Quote
I talked to Hunter yesterday.   He wanted to know if I (1) Bought anything from him, (2) Still had records of any communications, (3) had the serial numbers for the tubes I bought.   He just wanted an email from me detailing that stuff. Told new there are over 100 people he sold stolen stuff to.

Im definitely super excited to have an empty sentinel assembly with no way to replace the tubes Fuck thieves
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
wow, that is in really poor taste.  i've sent glynn quite a bit of business through the past few years. guess that'll be stopping.
View Quote
I had also sent him business but recently had a bad situation involving him.
I removed him from my Christmas card list. That’ll show him!

This is a bad situation for all involved.
I never did any business with the arrested party but based on what I see I would have, and been in the same shoes as everyone else.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I talked to Hunter yesterday.   He wanted to know if I (1) Bought anything from him, (2) Still had records of any communications, (3) had the serial numbers for the tubes I bought.   He just wanted an email from me detailing that stuff. Told new there are over 100 people he sold stolen stuff to.

Im definitely super excited to have an empty sentinel assembly with no way to replace the tubes Fuck thieves
View Quote
I spoke to Hunter Friday. Like you said he asked if I had records of communication which i sent him the brief couple emails between lamneth and I. I also had a picture of the tube which I sent him as I’m a nerd and tend to keep stuff like that. I sold the pvs7 last fall along with a few others and did not know which one had the tube in it and he was understanding. I asked him if I should try to track down where it might be and he said no. I got the feeling they are not reclaiming the tubes but I could be wrong. It seemed to me as though they are just putting together the case again lamneth.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 3:21:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
I agree, tasteless post. I guess shame on all us tinkerers and those that don’t buy everything new.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah I hope he likes the taste of "Jail Food and Penis". Freaking sucks a lot of us are going to loose thousands of honest earned money to this dirtbag. I seriously hope he's a "too pretty for jail" looking guys who gets traded by his pimp to the guy with the most smokes for a night.

Quoted:

I spoke to Hunter Friday. Like you said he asked if I had records of communication which i sent him the brief couple emails between lamneth and I. I also had a picture of the tube which I sent him as I’m a nerd and tend to keep stuff like that. I sold the pvs7 last fall along with a few others and did not know which one had the tube in it and he was understanding. I asked him if I should try to track down where it might be and he said no. I got the feeling they are not reclaiming the tubes but I could be wrong. It seemed to me as though they are just putting together the case again lamneth.
We can only hope this is the case. I wonder how they're going to determine which stuff is stolen or do you just send in everything he sold you and you're shit out of luck?
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 4:30:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yeah I hope he likes the taste of "Jail Food and Penis". Freaking sucks a lot of us are going to loose thousands of honest earned money to this dirtbag. I seriously hope he's a "too pretty for jail" looking guys who gets traded by his pimp to the guy with the most smokes for a night.

We can only hope this is the case. I wonder how they're going to determine which stuff is stolen or do you just send in everything he sold you and you're shit out of luck?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1. I hope they don’t ask everyone to return stuff. I would understand, but I still hope not.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#36]
It's hard to say if they will try to take the tubes back. Right now I know they don't have any serial numbers, so I guess we will see if the company has any records. If they don't it will be hard to tell what was stolen and what wasn't. I'm guessing it's all stolen, but unless the company has records of the tubes' serials or Lamneth admits that they are all stolen I don't see them taking them back right now. I'm guessing this is going to take a long time anyway. So if you have tubes from him, just enjoy them for now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My understanding is that he used to work for ITT - he is listed on the Patent for Curved MCP Channels..., but recently worked for ASU-NVG, who was the employer/victim in this situation. The more I read up on ASU-NVG, the more jealous I am that this guy threw away a perfectly good career in a field I find incredibly interesting.
View Quote
well on the up side it looks like they have an opening
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 7:20:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The chances of buying stolen equipment on the secondary market has been a known factor.
View Quote
never with "commercial" tubes. that fear was always with stuff that walked off a base, with nsn's and contract numbers on the tubes. there was never anything associated with commercial grade tubes. this was a unique situation and almost a perfect storm given who the guy was, the level of access he had, and the number of tubes he had access to.

glynn/night vision inc made $ working on devices with the aforementioned tubes in them, so his comments were in poor taste.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 7:24:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
I particularly like how he mentions small vendors in his post of people you should avoid because of this but he himself is also a small vendor. Go figure.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 7:26:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Anyone know if he was selling anywhere else online?

I'm an admin for the biggest gear group on FB. If he's in our group our admin group would like to know.
View Quote
CGGAG?
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 7:40:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I particularly like how he mentions small vendors in his post of people you should avoid because of this but he himself is also a small vendor. Go figure.
View Quote
Yeah, I'm really tired of vendors acting like this. It's pretty sad and makes them look uneducated, really.

This is a pretty wild fiasco.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 8:58:19 AM EDT
[#46]
@lilMAC25

wow - sometimes a good deal might not be so good eh?
What happens when the guy gets out of prison - would he come looking for you or is he not the one that sold them to you?

Quoted:
This story is about how buying NV Intensifiers second hand almost cost me $2500 and a visit from the G-Man.

I purchased my tubes from a poster here on Arfcom. I’ve been advised by EE staff member tenewel that I can reveal the seller was Lamneth. If anyone has dealt with him do not post his real world information.

He had an old ad for a Photonis XR5 in WP for about a grand. I checked with him and he said he had sold it, but he had 2 Photonis 4G Intens that he would sell me for $1200 ea. After thinking about it, I guessed they were likely Echos and I decided that wasn't a bad price for Echos.

So, I bought them. Being me, I checked with Photonis to see if they could tell me more about the tubes.

They quickly contacted me and told me they were super tubes, sold to the Army under an expiremental basis. So he said they were probably stolen.

Naturally, I got a little freaked. I contacted the seller and he said he traded for them at Knob Creek. Even offered to buy them back if I wanted to. Made me feel a lot better. I had literally just read his email when I got a call from Photonis that they weren’t what they said originally they were. The tubes were actually sold to an Aviation/NV Company and might have legitimately been junked. Naturally, I felt better about the entire thing.

Then a week later, I get a call from Photonis that the Aviation NV company thinks they might have been stolen from them. Said they have an employee with a very similar name as that given to me by the seller (some of this paragraph may not be exactly as I was told it, as when I first spoke to the NV company, I had just gotten home and fallen asleep after working all night the night before).

The Aviation NV company contacted me and confirmed this. Apparently they’re Aviation Grade 4G Intens that were intentionally beat to crap in test units (image is still very nice though). I gave them the PM and email chain and explained that I had zero reason during the original purchase to think that they might be stolen as I assumed they would be Echos or similar. I told them I’ll hold onto the tubes, but I’d like to see a police report before I would mail the tubes back to the company. However, I won’t be having anyone make Duals out of them. I’ll just hold onto them until contacted by police or FBI, at which point I’ll gladly turn them over. $2500 ain’t worth going to prison over.

PayPal ruled in my favor on the dispute and returned my funds. I informed the NV company that the $ was returned to me by PP and I’d send the tubes if they’d write up something basically saying that they knew I had acted in good faith.

The NV Company has offered to reward me by sending me a pair of used Anvis 9s that someone traded in for the latest and greatest (i accepted and they’re supposed to ship today or Monday). I’ve already returned the Photonis tubes and have a letter from the Aviation NV company saying that I’ve acted in good faith and my actions helped lead to the arrest of a US Gov contract employee who stole the tubes.

My guess is they’ve noticed multiple things missing over a long time period and this helped them catch the guy.

My plan is to take the $ that was returned to me and have the tubes put into RNVGs or Sentinels.

So, there it is kiddos. Be careful out there in the secondary market!!

Update: I have tracking number! NVG inbound! WHOOOOOTIEWHOOOTWHOOOOOT!
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 9:24:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
@lilMAC25

wow - sometimes a good deal might not be so good eh?
What happens when the guy gets out of prison - would he come looking for you or is he not the one that sold them to you?
View Quote
it was he who sold me the tubes.

Also, the reason I decided to contact Photonis was that the deal was “too good” and I assumed he was selling me legally acquired Echos but calling them 4G Intens (I didn’t know he worked in NV industry) . That price would be a good (but not amazing) price for Echos, but I wanted to know what I had acquired.

If/when he comes looking, I would defend me and mine. My guess is that never happens.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#48]
i'm working on my email to Hunter.

anyone that paid by PP, have you done a claim?
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 10:02:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
i'm working on my email to Hunter.

anyone that paid by PP, have you done a claim?
View Quote
My claim was not contested and my $$ returned. I was a very recent case though...
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top