Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2019 10:32:29 PM EDT
Gen 3

You not only need the unit itself but helmet, lasers, mounts, cans, etc etc.

How much is a decent basic setup?

This may be too broad a question but trying to get a general idea.

I’m figuring $6,000-$7,000?
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 10:49:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you spend 6,000-7,000 and get everything you listed? Sure, but you can also spend 7,000 on just a set of binos alone. You also can spend a lot less, but it isn't going to be the latest High Speed kit. Do you want to see with both eyes and have better depth perception or can you live with just a mono tube?
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you spend 6,000-7,000 and get everything you listed? Sure, but you can also spend 7,000 on just a set of binos alone. You also can spend a lot less, but it isn't going to be the latest High Speed kit. Do you want to see with both eyes and have better depth perception or can you live with just a mono tube?
View Quote
I honestly have no idea. I've never tried out NVG, and doubtful its in my immediate future. Just trying to gauge the cost.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:03:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Basic
Used blem gen 3 $1100
Helmet and mounts $100
IR illuminator and unimax IR $200
300 aac sbr with can $2000

Attachment Attached File

Wandering around in dark woods until you are comfortable with it, priceless
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:04:18 PM EDT
[#4]
You could get into a bump helmet, PVS-14 and a LAM for under $6k easily. I did it.  If you are budgeting for that much you may as well consider a dual tube set up.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:13:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Pvs-14(new) -$2,600
Used atpial-$1k
Used ACH helmet -$100
Used rhino II mount-$50
Surefire dual tape switch-$100

$3850 total

This is a GTG setup that you can fight with. This is the bare minimum IMHO you could save even more by getting a used Pvs-14 but do your research.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:21:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I honestly have no idea. I've never tried out NVG, and doubtful its in my immediate future. Just trying to gauge the cost.
View Quote
Here's my suggestion to new users, it's much easier to navigate with both eyes seeing the same image, so I generally think looking at either a used PVS7 Gen3 with an OMNI IV-VII or equivalent tube or a mono tube over either eye PVS14. This will allow you to see in very dark conditions without supplemental IR light. Cost used-new can range from 900-1,900+ depending on no/blems on the tube. A used to new PVS14 Gen3 run 1,400-3,000+. As far as LAMs go it almost impossible to get more for your money performance than from a Stiner D2 800-1,200 used to new. You want your IR illuminator and IR Laser to come on at the same time with 1 press of a button or pressure pad. The IR illuminator is good from 10-50 meters on low and 500+ meters on high. If a non ballistic helmet is an option a PT bravo is a good choice @ 60.00 or a Crye Nightcap which can be stuffed in your back pocket for @ 80.00 with a battery pouch directly from Crye Precision. If you need a ballistic grape cover a used ACH for @ 100 will work well. For a mount, lowering arm a Norotos Rhino II (not standard Rhino) go for @ 50.00 new on Ebay. New J arms for a PVS14 @ 25.00. As for cans I have no idea what they cost since I live in Comifornia.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 12:15:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:42:42 AM EDT
[#8]
If you're not in a hurry, the secondary market is the way to go.

There's always someone who blew their budget during a Black Friday sale, irrationally spent their tax refunds, need to buy a new car/repair, etc and need to offload their gear in a hurry or at a significant discount.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I’m obviously a little biased—there are a lot of good used deals out there, however, there are a lot of scam artists out there, too.

What makes it tough for a beginner is that if you’re not very familiar with what’s already out there, it can be difficult to tell a good deal from a bad one, and sometimes you won’t know until you get it or worse yet, until you get to try out someone else’s gear and you “realize what you’ve been missing” and that you’ve badly overpaid.

On the one hand, I’ve gotten on the phome and talked people through exactly what to lool for/check/ask about when they’ve told me up front that they’re about to go check out a used NVD. On the other hand, we’ve also had units come in for repair that were built by someone else that definitely weren’t what they were claimed to be when they were sold when we cracked ‘em open.

With that, IMHO, for a basic, bare bones “starter setup,” I would say:

TNV/PVS-14 L3 OMNI VIII (filmed green): $3,200
Wilcox L4 G11-ARMY mount: $265
Ops-Core FAST Bump: $270
Steiner DBAL-I2 Single Spectrum: $779

Assuming you have a rifle, optic, sling, light, etc., already, you’re right at $4,514 to “get started.”

Not the best gear available necessarily, but not the worst by any stretch either, it’s all good, serviceable, mid-grade, but effective gear from reputable companies, new, with warranty.

Sure, you could start shaving off a couple bucks here and there with Night Caps, OTALs, etc., but you’re going to start giving up some capabilities without really having a baseline to compare to, and FWIW, the other good thing about buying this stuff new is that all of those items have pretty decent resale on the used market if/when you choose to start upgrading—after you’ve established a baseline, and know what direction you want to go in to start upgrading and improving.

~Augee
View Quote
Good summary as far as buying new goes. You get a warranty (and know the parts are legally sourced) with all that as well, which is very nice when you’re putting $4.5K into something...
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There's always someone who blew their budget during a Black Friday sale, irrationally spent their tax refunds, need to buy a new car/repair, etc and need to offload their gear in a hurry or at a significant discount.
View Quote
Yea thats me.

Jk.

Thanks for the write up TNVC. I know nothing about them so I’m very hesitant to buy used.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Binos are awesome, I really dig my BNVD-SGs but a PVS14 is still one of the best ways to go IMO.

You should be able to get a new PVS14, OTAL-C IR laser, helmet and mount well under $4K if you shop around.
View Quote
A great place to shop is JRH Enterprise. Their PVS14 with a  ITT/Harris gen3 HP+ with a 10 year warranty on sale for 2,899 while other reputable sellers sell for 3,200.

https://jrhenterprises.com/Night-Vision_c3.htm
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 2:49:19 PM EDT
[#13]
$2500 PVS 14
$1000 Dbal D2
$150.   surplus ACH
$100, j arm, rhino, helmet bracket.

Cost of PVS14 can be vary depending on tube quality, for $2500 you can get a defent quality nod.

Duals are mo bettah, but double the price. You can get into a decent dual tube setup for $5000.

DBAL D2, best, cheapest civi laser. MAWL is most best civi lazer.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Gen 3

You not only need the unit itself but helmet, lasers, mounts, cans, etc etc.

How much is a decent basic setup?

This may be too broad a question but trying to get a general idea.

I’m figuring $6,000-$7,000?
View Quote
$4,100 not including the gun.

Link
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#16]
So true. If you're someone who doesn't like to be alone in the dark then getting night vision isn't going to be for you because nobody will go with you. Okay, maybe once.

Daytripper. I love it.

Quoted:
What it'll cost you?

Friendships, relationships with loved ones, and Time, forget about money.

Money is the easy Part, you're about to alienate yourself from the traditional shooting community (fucking Daytripper's as we say) who just won't get it, your family will think you're some kind of tactical Vampire, and your friends who cant see in the dark....well they're not really friends are they after all?

Its worth every penny and second though.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 3:38:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What it'll cost you?

Friendships, relationships with loved ones, and Time, forget about money.

Money is the easy Part, you're about to alienate yourself from the traditional shooting community (fucking Daytripper's as we say) who just won't get it, your family will think you're some kind of tactical Vampire, and your friends who cant see in the dark....well they're not really friends are they after all?

Its worth every penny and second though.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Exactly this.  That is how I got into it in 2006 when I was still in college and didn't have much income.  There will always be impulse buyers that...  you guessed it, move on to their next impulse buy and want the $$ for that.  I've owned ~60 NVDs and only two of them were purchased brand new from a dealer.  Do your due diligence in research before going that route, forums like this are great for that.  The amount of money you can save in doing so is not trivial, plus you will learn a lot and be less likely to have too much money into something to break even if you want to move on or upgrade.  If you decide to try the secondary market, you can get into a decent gen 3 monoc, IR laser, helmet or nightcap plus mount for probably around $2300 or so.  This is all assuming you already have a gun to use with this stuff.  Silencers help too but are definitely not a must.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#20]
You will be good to go with a 6k budget.  You need to break down each component and what it will give you for the price.  I have heard tnvc is good at that but I haven’t used it so don’t know for certain.  If you are willing to spend that much the tnvc setup is good to go.  I figured out early I needed 2 sets mine and a loaner set, now I may get a second loaner.  Because of this I bought used and cheap focusing on what would help me kill pigs more effectively.  Then upgraded each component best for me, less for the loaner.  It’s not the fastest or cheapest way to do it but I knew I needed it to stay fun for me.  Just some ideas:  focus on a good helmet cheapest best upgrade and you might use it forever.  Slaved lasers to me are the most important laser featurefor me.  Others have lots of bells and whistles but I can’t justify a mall over a used cqbl for my hunting style right now.   I would use that cash for a super tube or thermal only because I think those would increase my kill rates more.  Try a friends gear, people here are helpful if you ask.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Realistic EE Prices:

Used PVS-7:  $1500 (or less)
PASGT helmet: $90
Ratchet mount: $20
Rhino 1.0:  $25
UNI-IR:  $150

$1785 for a perfectly capable setup on par (or better) with mid-90's .mil gear.

Figure another <$200 to get odds & ends:  UNI-IR pressure switch, Armasight or Streamtac IR illuminator, DIY lanyard & counterweight.  Another $50 gets you an ACH helmet (big step up in tech).
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 8:04:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Here's a down and dirty guide:

blem tube off EE: $200
Chinese housing: <$400
Chinese green laser pointer with IR filter: <$40
Cheap IR flashlight: $15
mini rail Adapter and J-arm:$60
Rhino 1: free, ask around holy shit they suck or $20
airsoft helmet w shroud: $20

Why spend a lot for a disposable product?
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#23]
And so there's the range of possibilities.

Based on my experience I went cheap as possible and then started upgrading.  Don't know that I'd necessarily recommend that.  I would say I'm leaning more to what Augee said here; get nice mid-level stuff and go from there.  That will defer the upgrading for awhile.  It's like my buddy Running Wolf says: NV is a progressive disease that
starts with one green eye; then goes to both eyes; and/or goes to white eyes.

I would also say call and talk to both JRH and TNVC/NGI.  Tell them your end use and see what they recommend.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Welcome back

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top