Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2019 1:37:33 PM EDT
I'm currently in the market to purchase my first thermal weapon sight for hog and coyote hunting and have decided on the REAP 35mm. I am aware of the differences between the two versions, but was wondering if I found a deal on the type 1 if I should jump on it or are the changes found on the type 2 worth it. I've seen some used REAPs (type 1) going for around 5k, serial numbers around 32XXX. Im worried too about warranty repair, buying used, old firmware issues, etc. Any REAP owners want to chime in with their experience, think I should hold out, save, and get the type 2 or is the $2K savings too good to pass up?
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Call around and ask for the best deal on a new one.  Get them pricing against each other.  New REAP -01 can be had for less than $7K

Some technical differences outside of the housing

REAP-01 S/N <35000
Gen1 Core
Firmware version 2.xx

REAP-01 S/N 35000+
Rev1 Core
Firmware version 4.xx-4.41
Apparently this version gives you a bit better battery life but not for certain.  I know some that have the Gen1 core and work flawlessly

REAP-02 S/n ?
Rev2 Core
Firmware 4.5x
This new core also comes with the latest zeroing software called easy-zero (or something)

So, two models, three cores depending on the version or S/N.  -02 a bit heavier but if you like the pic rail and vertical batteries, go for it if you can get the price similar to the -01 BNiB

And yes, there are deals on used ones from some reputable, honest folks.  I know of one that let's you use them before buying if interested.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And yes, there are deals on used ones from some reputable, honest folks.  I know of one that let's you use them before buying if interested.
View Quote
Thanks for the breakdown. That was very helpful and informative! And yes, PM the info for the dealer.

Has anyone ever paid Trijicon for a core/firmware update on an old unit and know what it’d cost? I’m impatient and looks like they’re not available on the weekends. I’m currently looking at a REAP IR
S/N 32xxx ,Gen1 Core ,and 2.18 firmware. Makes me nervous to buy knowning all the issues the first units had. But the price tag is only $5k and it’s in immaculate shape. (Not even a scratch on the house or mount.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#3]
If I understand your question right, I dont think the old cores will take the new firmware. If you call and find out otherwise please post.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If I understand your question right, I dont think the old cores will take the new firmware. If you call and find out otherwise please post.
View Quote
I believe you are right. I meant cost for a upgraded core AND then obviously firmware upgrade. I’m looking at used REAP-IR units that have Gen1 cores.
I’m mainly wondering if I get a used one and something goes wrong because of a bug and I send it in for repair,
1) am I going to get denied warranty
2) then stuck with them repairing a Gen1 core over and over
3) then forced to cough up more cash anyway.

A new REAP keeps sounding better because of peace of mind, but saving almost 2k on a used one that might function perfectly for years, makes a new AR10 build happen much sooner
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the breakdown. That was very helpful and informative! And yes, PM the info for the dealer.

Has anyone ever paid Trijicon for a core/firmware update on an old unit and know what it’d cost? I’m impatient and looks like they’re not available on the weekends. I’m currently looking at a REAP IR
S/N 32xxx ,Gen1 Core ,and 2.18 firmware. Makes me nervous to buy knowning all the issues the first units had. But the price tag is only $5k and it’s in immaculate shape. (Not even a scratch on the house or mount.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Triji will not take them back for an update unless RMA'ed which will be accompanied by at least a firmware update.  I'd imagine some FW versions are not compatible with certain cores.  I do believe the Rev2 and Rev1 FW are cross compatible, but Triji is marketing the -02 with its easy zero as differentiated from -01 so you'll likely see a continued FW branching from those two models to keep the features separated

EDIT: and I do know the older ones are holding up very nicely.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 11:56:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

REAP-01 S/N 35000+
Rev1 Core
Firmware version 4.xx-4.41
Apparently this version gives you a bit better battery life but not for certain.  I know some that have the Gen1 core and work flawlessly
View Quote
My gen 1 was built right before the gen 2's started coming out and looks to have the same specs

I'm really happy with mine and the performance is outstanding, but to the OP just to be clear when you buy a REAP you aren't getting anything other than performance. There are really no bells or whistles or fantastic user experience from the REAP, but if you want a killer image you bought the right scope and you're definitely going to get a killer image

I've been running mine two or three times a week hunting now for months and it's a stellar performer, but it has it's quirks. The sexy feeling wears off quick when you realize it doesn't really do anything except give you a fantastic image. Battery life is hideous IMO and the battery cap is annoying as hell. Video quality out is terrible and it takes crappy pictures, plus there is no cheap way to get them off the device - the dedicated USB cable is expensive as hell. It comes with a useful little DVR but the video out is so much lower resolution than the actual REAP image I don't know what the point of using it is

All that said I love the REAP. The image is crazy good and while objectively I think I can say most of the time you won't need it, I am still in love with it every time I fire it up and head out. The image is that good IMO. It does it's one thing and it does it well, which is what I bought it for. I've been able to ID cows at over 1000 yards, hogs pretty close to that and routinely see mice at 200 to 250 yards. Birds in trees at 250 yards and all kinds of things in between. The resolution for target ID is second to none and where I hunt there are a ton of animals we don't want to shoot or risk injury to, so having the REAP resolution has been huge for safe and sure hunting

eta: I suppose given a choice you ought to go for the gen 2 with the improved battery compartment, but even then I don't think battery life will exceed 2 hours. I can't really complain enough about how annoying the battery situation is on the gen 1 but it becomes a moot point if you switch to an external battery. I finally got tired of changing batteries 2 or three times a night and have been way happier with the external battery kit
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#7]
For what it's worth ---
I have an early IR Patrol. Same core as the reap.
It lost its mind and Trijicon fixed it free by replacing the core and the display. That carried with it the latest firmware (now months old). Before this, there was no way to upgrade the firmware but to send it in and let them decide whether they would do it.

The "new" setup works. And I see the differences in the firmware. Many updates, including many not visible to a user, are improved. Some are just different.
But to my eye, the old core and firmware and display were better. There was a higher quality to the images. Image was flatter and clearer and just plain more useful to the eyeball.

Don't get me wrong. I was very pleased with the service especially considering that the warranty coverage was arguably expired. I like Trijicon just fine. But that old IR Patrol was more fun to use, and it GOT more use, before the update.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For what it's worth ---
I have an early IR Patrol. Same core as the reap.
It lost its mind and Trijicon fixed it free by replacing the core and the display. That carried with it the latest firmware (now months old). Before this, there was no way to upgrade the firmware but to send it in and let them decide whether they would do it.

The "new" setup works. And I see the differences in the firmware. Many updates, including many not visible to a user, are improved. Some are just different.
But to my eye, the old core and firmware and display were better. There was a higher quality to the images. Image was flatter and clearer and just plain more useful to the eyeball.

Don't get me wrong. I was very pleased with the service especially considering that the warranty coverage was arguably expired. I like Trijicon just fine. But that old IR Patrol was more fun to use, and it GOT more use, before the update.
View Quote
The first gen core seemed a slight bluish greenish hue to it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My gen 1 was built right before the gen 2's started coming out and looks to have the same specs

I'm really happy with mine and the performance is outstanding, but to the OP just to be clear when you buy a REAP you aren't getting anything other than performance. There are really no bells or whistles or fantastic user experience from the REAP, but if you want a killer image you bought the right scope and you're definitely going to get a killer image
View Quote
This purchase will be purely for image quality, that’s exactly what my decision to go Trijicon boiled down to. I’ve used some Armasight,ATN, and Pulsar units and all the little add on features of the other units are all great but doubtful I will use them long term.  I bought a nice camera and a GoPro thinking I’d film my hunts and I found myself leaving them at home. When I looked through a REAP at a gun show I was blown away how much better the image was and build quality, and the weight of the REAP was appealing. I just got back from another week long hog hunt in Georgia and kept kicking myself for not picking up a unit for myself before I went. I’m going to use this mainly as a weapon sight and may occasionally a scanner depending who I’m with hunting.
Ive waited so long to take the plunge to buy a TWS and up until recently, nothing seemed to touch the Trijicon units. The newer Pulsars are pretty nice but I  want something 2.5-3.5 mag range in 640. The new Nvision units look promising but the LR version is similar priced to REAP. And who knows when I’d actually be able to get one for a decent price. My guess is they’ll sell at MSRP until the demand comes down.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 5:30:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Op sounds like you want a meat killing scope with the best image. The reap will fill your needs.  Mine is an IRD branded scope.  Never had new firmware installed.  I’m not worried about how many features it has when I can see a deers neck when it is bedded down and my buddy next to me with the whiz bang Pulsar 384 with the king fu grip and Instagram notifications swears it’s a hog.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:19:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Op sounds like you want a meat killing scope with the best image. The reap will fill your needs.  Mine is an IRD branded scope.  Never had new firmware installed.  I’m not worried about how many features it has when I can see a deers neck when it is bedded down and my buddy next to me with the whiz bang Pulsar 384 with the king fu grip and Instagram notifications swears it’s a hog.
View Quote
Same kind of dude that swears they killed 30 that night, but just didn’t have time to pile them up , so we just took a picture of this 65 lb sow.....  love it

As of now, trijicon has the best image. Period. Nvision is on the horizon.  Those are really the only two to consider if image is tops. Reap v1 vs v2, will be the same image.  Buy one, then shoot stuff in face, then smile, as you crawl out of bed from 30 min nap before work
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Same kind of dude that swears they killed 30 that night, but just didn’t have time to pile them up , so we just took a picture of this 65 lb sow.....  love it

As of now, trijicon has the best image. Period. Nvision is on the horizon.  Those are really the only two to consider if image is tops. Reap v1 vs v2, will be the same image.  Buy one, then shoot stuff in face, then smile, as you crawl out of bed from 30 min nap before work
View Quote
I make multiple trips a year to Georgia to hunt and one year we did pretty good night hunting with a Zeus 336 3-12, but the detail and ability to ID was pretty crappy. We would think we see hogs way out in the orchards, only to pull up on a gang of armadillos 100 yards away. Mostly will use it coyote hunting here in Va and WVa. Then hog hunting a few times a year. I’m hoping to agree on a price with Tim’s REAP if he doesn’t get it sold
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#13]
The distance thing can jack with you no matter the optic if you don’t know land marks.   I bought a scope from Tim and I’d buy from him again no doubt.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I make multiple trips a year to Georgia to hunt and one year we did pretty good night hunting with a Zeus 336 3-12, but the detail and ability to ID was pretty crappy. We would think we see hogs way out in the orchards, only to pull up on a gang of armadillos 100 yards away. Mostly will use it coyote hunting here in Va and WVa. Then hog hunting a few times a year. I’m hoping to agree on a price with Tim’s REAP if he doesn’t get it sold
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair, dillos need dirt naps too. They’re just not as fun as pigs
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 11:58:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for everyone’s reply’s. I got a killer deal on a brand new REAP 35mm type 2. 6,3 shipped. Should be here in a few days.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 11:15:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks for everyone’s reply’s. I got a killer deal on a brand new REAP 35mm type 2. 6,3 shipped. Should be here in a few days.
View Quote
Uh, may I ask where you purchased it?  If I can get rid of my mkII, I'd grab one for that price.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 3:17:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's $200 less than I paid.  Good deal.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I had a coupon code for optics planet that I added on top of their current sale which is 7% off ($7,219) After adding my coupon, it dropped to price to $6400. Kenzie Optics was the only vendor that agreed to beat the price, let alone gave me a response. All other vendors went silent after I sent screen shots of my shopping cart total at Optics Planet. Kenzie’s hit me back with a one time use coupon of their own that got me checked out at 6,3xx.
Kind of a cool story behind this. If you read my posts earlier in the week, I talk about my first time looking through a REAP IR and how I was blown away by it. It was 3-4 years ago I believe and it was actually at Kenzie Optics’s  booth at a gun show here in Roanoke, VA. I haven’t actually seen them up here in Roanoke in awhile at the gun show, maybe I’ve just missed them. Anyway, fast forward 4 years and I’m buying one from them. They were super cool guys at the show, and this time around, they quickly got me a great deal on the TWS.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 9:22:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I had a coupon code for optics planet that I added on top of their current sale which is 7% off ($7,219) After adding my coupon, it dropped to price to $6400. Kenzie Optics was the only vendor that agreed to beat the price, let alone gave me a response. All other vendors went silent, after sending screen shots of my shopping cart total at Optics Planet. Kenzie's hit me back with a one time use coupon of their own that got me checked out at 6,3xx.
Kind of a cool story behind this. If you read my posts earlier in the week, I talk about my first time looking through a REAP IR and how I was blown away by it. It was 3-4 years ago I believe and it was actually at Kenzie Optics's  booth at a gun show here in Roanoke, VA. I haven't actually seen them up here in Roanoke in awhile at the gun show, maybe I've just missed them. Anyway, fast forward 4 years and I'm buying one from them. They were super cool guys at the show, and this time around, they quickly got me a great deal on the TWS.
View Quote
Similar experience when I bought my MKIII. A couple vendors I was pretty surprised and disappointed they couldn't or wouldn't price match being as they are considered top tier to deal with. Got it for a little over 6k and by a little over, I mean a couple of dollars. Don't really intend to get into a shit slinging match, but it opened my eyes up a little.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 1:19:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I had a coupon code for optics planet that I added on top of their current sale which is 7% off ($7,219) After adding my coupon, it dropped to price to $6400. Kenzie Optics was the only vendor that agreed to beat the price, let alone gave me a response. All other vendors went silent, after sending screen shots of my shopping cart total at Optics Planet. Kenzie's hit me back with a one time use coupon of their own that got me checked out at 6,3xx.
Kind of a cool story behind this. If you read my posts earlier in the week, I talk about my first time looking through a REAP IR and how I was blown away by it. It was 3-4 years ago I believe and it was actually at Kenzie Optics's  booth at a gun show here in Roanoke, VA. I haven't actually seen them up here in Roanoke in awhile at the gun show, maybe I've just missed them. Anyway, fast forward 4 years and I'm buying one from them. They were super cool guys at the show, and this time around, they quickly got me a great deal on the TWS.
View Quote
Hell yeah, welcome to the club
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 8:58:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hell yeah, welcome to the club
View Quote
Received my REAP-IR yesterday. This thing is awesome. Felt like a little kid on Christmas opening up the case. I was able to watch my neighbors cats stalking rabbits in the backyard last night. Then some deer came down off the mountain I live below and watched them stroll through the neighborhood, feeding along the way.

On another note, I did finally hear back from Unlimited Arms who agreed to match the Optics Planet price, but didn’t say they could beat it. I’ve bought a Surefire suppressor from UA before and they were awesome to deal with on that. So for anyone that’s looking to just get a TWS and not interested in all the “free” recording accessories, I suggest checking in with Kenzie and Unlimited Arms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top