Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2019 9:39:39 PM EDT
Has anyone ever tried to take the PVS-7 lens out of their housing and compared it to the PVS-14 objective lens? By comparing photos online, it looks like the 7 has the same pitch and thread for the focus and even the same lock ring to hold them in the housing as the 14.

UPDATE: Got the PVS-7 lens in today and tried t out. First to keep the o-ring in the housing, I turned the stop ring on the objective lens the wrong way with the lip facing away from the image intensifier. Worked like a charm.

There's a park that's about 300m away from my house across an open field and the poles and lights there are a little blurry but can still see well enough for a bugout bag/loaner/beater NV optic.

I am still on the lookout for a good used PVS-14 objective lens.

With the WP tube and this particular housing, I seem to have lucked out and the houses and park at 300m ish are in focus.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#1]
They're compatible in the sense that they fit. The PVS-7 lens is a tad longer than a PVS-14 lens and will stick out out some. Moving the infinity focus ring a bit forward makes up for the gap but leaves a couple threads visibly exposed on the PVS-14 housing. Cosmetic issues, really. Otherwise, it all fits and can be brought into focus without issues.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 11:00:34 PM EDT
[#2]
That's really interesting. Thanks for the information.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I wonder if that threading difference would effect water resistance or nitrogen purge loss
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
That is a good question. This almost makes me want to put together a loaner set for grins. I have 3 MX10160 tubes. Two are a matched set I am going to build a dual 14 set-up with those. The third one is that WP tube with the emission point. @TXDX is evaluating it now and if it is able to be fixed, I might just do that with a PVS-7 objective lens.

I've gotten alot of good advice from our experts in this forum and I have come to the conclusion a dual 14 set up will be more in line with what I need. I truly wish I had the money available for a dedicated bino rig.

I scrounged parts together and have put together two 14's already for right at $1k not including the two matched 10160 gen 2+ photonis tubes from @chosos. So less than $1k for each. Not too bad.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 4:12:44 PM EDT
[#5]
You might have different luck than I have with other lenses, but the range of focus on the PVS-7 objectives I've tried in a PVS-14 housing did not work 100% correctly. It it slightly out of focus at the distance/infinity settings. Will it work for testing? Yes. Is it something I would want to use? No, because images are blurry at distance due to using the wrong lens in the wrong housing. I wish it worked better, because I have an extra PVS-7 objective sitting in a PVS-14 housing right now. lol.

Also, yes, it will impact purge because the objective is able to unscrew beyond the o-ring.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You might have different luck than I have with other lenses, but the range of focus on the PVS-7 objectives I've tried in a PVS-14 housing did not work 100% correctly. It it slightly out of focus at the distance/infinity settings. Will it work for testing? Yes. Is it something I would want to use? No, because images are blurry at distance due to using the wrong lens in the wrong housing. I wish it worked better, because I have an extra PVS-7 objective sitting in a PVS-14 housing right now. lol.

Also, yes, it will impact purge because the objective is able to unscrew beyond the o-ring.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/217687/7obj_jpg-827197.JPG
View Quote
Great photo! This is the info I was looking for. Nowhere online other than Arfcom could anyone ever get such detailed answers. I was mainly wondering due to the fact that the objective lenses look exactly alike other than the bigger housing for the 7. I was looking at my 7 and noticed it had a retaining lock ring just like the 14. Plus my suspicion that the military is a bunch of cheap bastards. The 7 and 14 are used side by side in some units so I figured maintenance would want to be able to have the option of swapping lenses and I figured the contract companies that built both would want to have as much parts commonality for budget/contract price reasons. But that is just me overthinking everything.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I have heard others claim that you could get away with using the lens in the other housing, so maybe that is true of other pvs-14 lenses, but on the few I've tried - it has never worked. I also have good vision and notice very small differences between lenses, so the image being slightly out of focus might not bother others as much as it does me - it bothers me a whole lot.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Somewhere,

I have copies of the -maint manuals for the 7 and 14. I never read in there anywhere (although it would make sense) about the swappability under any conditions. Basically, if memory serves, if it fails testing dx the old one and get a new one.

Another thing on the applicability of parts swapping for kits, the 14 lens I got is blurry as hell no matter what I've done. I'm thinking it's counterfeit. Compared to the 7 which has astronomy telescope like razorness to it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 9:36:40 PM EDT
[#9]
UPDATE: Got the PVS-7 lens in today and tried it out. First to keep the o-ring in the housing, I turned the stop ring on the objective lens the wrong way with the lip facing away from the image intensifier. Worked like a charm.

There's a park that's about 300m away from my house across an open field and the poles and lights there are a little blurry but can still see well enough for a bugout bag/loaner/beater NV optic.

I am still on the lookout for a good used PVS-14 objective lens.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 12:32:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Update in original post
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top