Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2019 7:10:31 PM EDT
So the only real option I've seen is a full powered peq, and I see them poop up here and there. Problem is I live in Canada and I've talked to an exporting company and they've said this:

"Due to ITAR not having a clear ruling on the lasers and NOG we would not be able to bring in the items on a normal import. If we get an agent who deems the items not to be allowable to be exported due to them being considered military use items for civilians then our permit application would be rejected. Having out permit rejected would mean many thousands of our products on the import would not be allowed into Canada as they would stop the whole import, affecting many customers delivery schedules.

We can however put them on a permit by themselves just for you, the cost for such a service is $400 to apply for the permit with the state department and various other government bodies. The fee would be non-refundable if the import/export does get declined however."

I'm not so sure about taking the risk. So I wanted to ask for peoples opinions on others laser. I like the Perst 3, but the Illuminator doesn't seem to good past 75 yards from what I heard from others. I want to be able to aim out to several hundreds yards with said device. Some devices I can barely find any info on such as the Newcon LAM 3G. Regardless, any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#1]
The guy in the other thread is talking about the 2IKS+, not the Perst-3.

The Perst-3 illuminator shines far and is extremely powerful.

Good luck getting what you want due to ITAR restrictions.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you want an illuminator that can reach several hundred yards along with an IR laser? If so, what type of target are you trying to engage at 700 yards with an IR laser. Unless it is a very large target can it even be done with an IR laser with any accuracy?
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you want an illuminator that can reach several hundred yards along with an IR laser? If so, what type of target are you trying to engage at 700 yards with an IR laser. Unless it is a very large target can it even be done with an IR laser with any accuracy?
View Quote
I never said 700 yards. Several means more than 2 but not many. I was thinking between 300-500 yards. The PEQ can reach out to 2000m high, and 600m on the low setting. Yes to your first question.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The guy in the other thread is talking about the 2IKS+, not the Perst-3.

The Perst-3 illuminator shines far and is extremely powerful.

Good luck getting what you want due to ITAR restrictions.
View Quote
Thanks for clearing that up.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I never said 700 yards. Several means more than 2 but not many. I was thinking between 300-500 yards. The PEQ can reach out to 2000m high, and 600m on the low setting. Yes to your first question.
View Quote
You must forgive me, as guy from this side of the border several hundred to me and people I know means seven hundred give or take a hundred and not just a few hundred, but I see you are using the literal definition.

Again, I have no idea what size targets you are looking to engage or the NV device you are using to engage them with. FYI just because an IR laser and illuminator can go out to 2,000 meters that does not mean you can use it to accurately engage a target at that distance or anywhere near that.  Personally I know with dual 14's or a single 14 I cannot accurately engage a predator sized target (yote) at a distance over a couple of hundred yards given the HALO around the IR even with the IR illuminator on. Hell I am lucky to be able to accurately identify a yote at 200 yards with a 14 unless it is in some wide open field with very low vegetation. I have been using IR lasers for almost 25 years to include PAC4C's, PEQ-2A's, Atilla 200's, LAM'S, and a few other high powered units from Laser Devices, and for me the HALO of the IR lasers dot just obscures the target to much even when there is good IR illumination added.

There is vid on YouTube that shows a vid comparing a DBAL civi to a full powered PEQ15 (audio was terrible). When PEQ15 laser is on high at what they say is about 200 yards it is pretty clear that it would obscure any man sized target or predator, again I do not know the size of the targets you are using. Even when the IR illuminator is used the HALO in my opinion is still to large to engage a target accurately. I realize the military throws lead at distances greater than that and hunters do as well, but can they honestly say they have anywhere near the accuracy of a reticle.

My $.02

ETA. I know nothing of the laws on your side of the border or if they have changed over time, but there was or still is a guy on this board who had high powered lasers. As I recall he said he openly sourced them in Canada. In fact when I read that he was able to acquire them in Canada a light bulb went off in my brain, and I thought why not make a run up to Canada to pick up a few. I didn't but it was a thought.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes I aware I won't be shooting 2000m lol. I just want a full powered device so that I don't suffer any limitations in any scenario when training. Weather in door clearing or long range shooting. But I see, long distances may have some issues with said device. In Canada we don't really suffer from any laws. We can own full powered units no problem. The issue comes from the states. ITAR is a b*tch. And I'm not to sure where else I can get full powered reliable lasers. They even stopped importing ATPIAL-C's about a year ago. There's still some around.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:18:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes I aware I won't be shooting 2000m lol. I just want a full powered device so that I don't suffer any limitations in any scenario when training. Weather in door clearing or long range shooting. But I see, long distances may have some issues with said device. In Canada we don't really suffer from any laws. We can own full powered units no problem. The issue comes from the states. ITAR is a b*tch. And I'm not to sure where else I can get full powered reliable lasers. They even stopped importing ATPIAL-C's about a year ago. There's still some around.
View Quote
Have you tried NewCon Optik. Wonder if their LAM3G is available for purchase by regular Joe's.

http://www.newcon-optik.com/products/tactical-optics/lam-3g/
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:45:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Have you tried NewCon Optik. Wonder if their LAM3G is available for purchase by regular Joe's.

http://www.newcon-optik.com/products/tactical-optics/lam-3g/
View Quote
Yes it is available for civie's. I thought about it but I can barely find any info on it other than the spec sheet Newcon provides. Plus I don't like how it doesn't have a pressure switch on the device itself. I'm pretty sure it comes with a remote switch but I'd try it out if it could accept a dual surefire switch.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 9:54:40 PM EDT
[#9]
OP- The Perst 3 is probably the best bet, the price seems fair especially from the perspective of the odious "Canada Tax" on everything gun related.

It also has various methods of adjusting your output power so you wont wash out your target at closer ranges.

Everyone else- Our internal laws regarding this kind of stuff isnt what makes this a problem. The problem is that few if any produce anything worth buying up here, and most of those who do have no interest in selling to individuals. Of those that do, anything gun related appears to cost about 30% more at best. (after accounting for ForEx) I like to call it the "Canada Tax".
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 1:41:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Supposedly, there's a new laser illuminator that's been developed by a european company and is outside ITAR that's supposed to be good out to about 800 yds, even with Gen1 or digital, floating around...

Though just to ask the question, rather late, was the OP looking for a laser/illuminator combo, or a laser illuminator?

David.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 5:00:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Just remember if you are importing Health Canada will seize any laser 3B and over. No one knows if they will seize IR Lasers over Class 1, or if they will permit them in up to 3R, but they have been very consistent in nabbing 3B and up if they know it's coming in. If they do seize it, you may not get the option to even return it to the sender.

Just be aware of whatever route you are going. If you need very powerful illuminators, the SPIR is good and shouldn't be ITAR.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just remember if you are importing Health Canada will seize any laser 3B and over. No one knows if they will seize IR Lasers over Class 1, or if they will permit them in up to 3R, but they have been very consistent in nabbing 3B and up if they know it's coming in. If they do seize it, you may not get the option to even return it to the sender.

Just be aware of whatever route you are going. If you need very powerful illuminators, the SPIR is good and shouldn't be ITAR.
View Quote
Since when did Health Canada get involved? Since when do they control what property people are allowed to own? So if I order a Perst 3 from Russia, they're just gonna confiscate it?
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 5:03:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Supposedly, there's a new laser illuminator that's been developed by a european company and is outside ITAR that's supposed to be good out to about 800 yds, even with Gen1 or digital, floating around...

Though just to ask the question, rather late, was the OP looking for a laser/illuminator combo, or a laser illuminator?

David.
View Quote
I'm looking for a device that has an illuminator and IR laser. Do you remember the name of the device?
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OP- The Perst 3 is probably the best bet, the price seems fair especially from the perspective of the odious "Canada Tax" on everything gun related.

It also has various methods of adjusting your output power so you wont wash out your target at closer ranges.

Everyone else- Our internal laws regarding this kind of stuff isnt what makes this a problem. The problem is that few if any produce anything worth buying up here, and most of those who do have no interest in selling to individuals. Of those that do, anything gun related appears to cost about 30% more at best. (after accounting for ForEx) I like to call it the "Canada Tax".
View Quote
True. I was emailing Newcon Optik about their LAM 3G Gen 2 and their LAM 4G upon which they said they don't sell to consumers. Which confused me because the orignal LAM 3G is sold commercially and it's a full powered laser.

Edit: They don't sell directly to consumers. But they sell to dealers who then sell to consumers. I'm checking with dealers who had the original 3G if they'll be picking up the newer ones.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#15]
It looks like calling Newcon is a good idea mate, as the whole import thing doesn’t become an issue.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 7:47:15 AM EDT
[#16]
If you absolutely need high power, get the Newconor a Perst. You should likely just suck it up and get the Newcon since you will actually have warranty support and service if needed and it's already in country, and Health Canada will seize the Perst laser if they are made aware of what it is (ie customs inspection)

If you don't absolutely need full power ATPIAL-C's are brought in regularly, legally, by IRG. Holosun lasers are available for purchase in Canada and you can just pair it with an LED based illuminator. Last I checked the SPIR was not ITAR controlled but that always could have changed and that is going to be the best illuminator money can buy before going up to something like a MAWL.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you absolutely need high power, get the Newconor a Perst. You should likely just suck it up and get the Newcon since you will actually have warranty support and service if needed and it's already in country, and Health Canada will seize the Perst laser if they are made aware of what it is (ie customs inspection)

If you don't absolutely need full power ATPIAL-C's are brought in regularly, legally, by IRG. Holosun lasers are available for purchase in Canada and you can just pair it with an LED based illuminator. Last I checked the SPIR was not ITAR controlled but that always could have changed and that is going to be the best illuminator money can buy before going up to something like a MAWL.
View Quote
I was gonna get an ATPIAL-C for my 10" since I'm only gonna be shooting 250y at the most, which will be sufficient enough. I need a full powered one for my GP Carbine. I'm contacting dealers to see if they will be selling the newer gen of the 3G. I thought ATPIAL-C's were no longer being brought in? I discussed this in a IrunGuns thread. https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1821492-B-E-Meyers-MAWL-C1?p=15627556#post15627556 Also from checking some threads, it seems it's just a customs things and for every one package that gets checked millions of others go through. So I'm not sure if buying a laser off of ebay would be much of an issue. And it seems they emphasize repeatedly about "hand held" lasers. I'm not sure how weapon mounted fit in this. If they do, why is there a bunch of 3B laser devices available on the Canadian Consumer market?
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#18]
For what its worth, I havent heard of anybody being bit by Customs guys double checking what Health Canada thinks about "X".
I would be more worried about them charging some stupid import fee, and then having to argue with some poor lady on the phone to get a refund. Its the government, they dont exactly go out of their way to do their job.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, I found out that the newer 3G and 4G have been released on the Canadian Consumer market. Definitely getting that. I probably will find a PEQ from some Russian guy lol. Or maybe I'll get lucky and an ITAR agent will approve an export license for a PEQ.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:40:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well, I found out that the newer 3G and 4G have been released on the Canadian Consumer market. Definitely getting that. I probably will find a PEQ from some Russian guy lol. Or maybe I'll get lucky and an ITAR agent will approve an export license for a PEQ.
View Quote
Who's selling thr 3G and 4Gs?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:46:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Who's selling thr 3G and 4Gs?
View Quote
There's a handful who are acquiring the newer ones. Brandon Optics is one of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top