Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/5/2018 7:24:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#1]
So would you say about every four months is sorta average of a customer requested this?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#4]
So are all 60+ tubes for that "special order" ?

Trying to tell us now is the time to change our existing filmed orders to filmless ?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Every 4 months?  You mean every day around here!....
View Quote
Lol. I’m a moron. I meant how often do you see tubes with these specs?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:43:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every 4 months?  You mean every day around here!....
That FOM is as good as Ive seen.  And with a killer EBI to boot
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So going through a batch of 60+ tubes or so, a special order for one customer in particular finally arrived as well.  The last time I saw specs like this were in a CNVD/LR with one data point higher at 42 S/N.  No I cannot show the data sheet so for a "select few" (you know who you are) who won't believe, it's all good.    Anyhoot, customer waited 4 months for this tube to go into our TNV-14 build for him. I talked with him on the phone last night and he is a bit happy with the following.

Signal to Noise: 41
Line Pair: 72
EBI 0.7
HALO: 0.74
FiOM: For those with a calculator = 2952.

My personal TNV-14 is 39.7 and 72LP was in a "normal batch" a few years ago.  I know a few other customers have other 39's, but this tube was special...Oh and for spot size chart...
Zone 1: 0
Zone 2: 0
Zone 3: 0

Probably the most perfect tube I've seen and I've seen a few since 1994.  
View Quote
I'd imagine that a CNVD/LR with a S/N of 42 would be positively exquisite.  Do want.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:26:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So going through a batch of 60+ tubes or so, a special order for one customer in particular finally arrived as well.  The last time I saw specs like this were in a CNVD/LR with one data point higher at 42 S/N.  No I cannot show the data sheet so for a "select few" (you know who you are) who won't believe, it's all good.    Anyhoot, customer waited 4 months for this tube to go into our TNV-14 build for him. I talked with him on the phone last night and he is a bit happy with the following.

EBI 0.7

My personal TNV-14 is 39.7 and 72LP was in a "normal batch" a few years ago.  I know a few other customers have other 39's, but this tube was special...Oh and for spot size chart...

Probably the most perfect tube I've seen and I've seen a few since 1994.  
View Quote
How much fixed pattern noise does it have?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:35:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:38:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#11]
EBI 0.7

My personal TNV-14 is 39.7 and 72LP was in a "normal batch" a few years ago. I know a few other customers have other 39's, but this tube was special...Oh and for spot size chart...
View Quote
Sounds expensive. Typically, if someone wanted to get on a waiting list, what kind of % should one expect to pay for those types of specs over a typical L3 Chrome tube? Asking for a friend in case he ever wants to save up and shop for some super super tubes.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#12]
That’s crazyness spec wise!  I’ve owned tubes up to 72lp/36+ myself. Honestly, I couldn’t  see much if any difference compared the 72lp/34 SN tube I owned so ended up keeping the 34SN tube because it was better screen cosmetics sold the 72lp/36SN tube for a premium.

40+ SN is crazy though
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds expensive. Typically, if someone wanted to get on a waiting list, what kind of % should one expect to pay for those types of specs over a typical L3 Chrome tube? Asking for a friend in case he ever wants to save up and shop for some super super tubes.
This
+1

@TNVC
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Awesome
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Those are amazing specs!

Filmless is leading, no doubt, and will probably stay this way for another couple of years at very least.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 6:50:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How much fixed pattern noise does it have?
View Quote
The fact that this question is being ignored concerns me.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Scheisse!
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:15:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No one is ignoring you as I do NOT get here too much the last several hours as our new web site is getting up and going, etc. etc. etc.

Yes it has some fixed pattern noise. We've talked about this before with many tubes.
View Quote
I still don’t get it. Maybe I’m being obtuse. Do higher spec tubes more often have pronounced FPN?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#25]
something also to be mindful of in these threads with ultra high spec tubes

I would say 90% of the population would have trouble even telling the difference. The folks that use nvg's alot could probably tell you which tube was better but you really have to know what your looking at to notice it.

obviously every little bit helps but I personally feel like the price difference between a "good" tube and a "unicorn" tube is quite a bit for that extra sliver of improvement.
Then again we all value money differently too, to some its worth it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:26:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Photocathode Sensitivity 2,582
EBI 1.0
Luminance Gain 10x6 69925
Luminance Gain 10x4 16508
Output Brightness 3.3 on both
Signal to Noise 39.4
Center Resolution 72
High Light Resolution 45
Halo 0.7

These are the specs of my WP unit.
Another great TNVC tube.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

In some instances yes, I agree with a few data points...But when it's really dark out there, I surely see the difference with a 39-41 S/N vs. low 30's vs. ANY other tube including Photonis.  We are talking just about a FOM 3000 tube. In the CNVD/LR that had the 42 S/N, and 82LP I looked through, it killed it out in the field! There was no comparison.
View Quote
Of that I have no doubt. I couldn’t imagine what that looked like.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:32:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#32]
How does this play in a bino?  How close in specs do they need to be before it’s a problem?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

We usually try to get very close with signal to noise ratios and spot on with line pair rez.
View Quote
About to place an order for a mono mod3 to be upgraded to bino later. I haven't email to ask the price but if I did wait on the higher spec tube how would it effect trying to match that tube later. Would it still be 90-120 or possibly longer?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Sorry just saw this...These special tubes we order are guaranteed at 40 Signal to noise or better and 120 days + out, along with a high price.  Waiting for the luck of the draw at a 39 Signal to noise normal delivery could be a looong wait and no guarantee.
View Quote
@TNVC already placed the order thanks
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#37]
I can't imagine 40+ SNR, my 36 WP filmless is basically cheating.  The last few nights here have been clear, plenty of moonlight, and windless.  My 14 and KN203 are getting a workout.  Tonight is mostly clear with a 100% chance of suppressed subsonic 22 LR @ 200-250 yards
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:37:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I can't imagine 40+ SNR, my 36 WP filmless is basically cheating.  The last few nights here have been clear, plenty of moonlight, and windless.  My 14 and KN203 are getting a workout.  Tonight is mostly clear with a 100% chance of suppressed subsonic 22 LR @ 200-250 yards
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:35:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah that is pretty cool.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:36:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah that is pretty cool.
View Quote
It was a great deal of fun, I'm a big fan of long range (for 22 LR) steel shooting and it is even more fun after sunset.  The time of flight seems magically longer at night, which is odd because obviously it isn't any longer than daytime.   I only got out to 225 yards last night because of time constraints (we've got a six month old).  Click...  (crickets)...  ding.  I got to do some more ATV driving w/ my TNV-14 WP too, that thing is insane.  Last night was once again super bright (moonlight, starlight, CLEAR skies) so honest to God I could've just driven w/o NV or white light.  That being said, these crazy high SNR tubes give a killer image whether the moon makes an appearance or not.  I still love green NV too, my clip-ons are green and perform GREAT.  I got out to 606 yards w/ my green clip-on just last month, I could easily see 2-3 MOA targets out to 1000yd+ but wasn't super confident w/ my dope beyond 600 and had to get heading home anyways.  The SWR Radius, especially in continuous mode, has taken all the ranging guesswork out of the equation, no more using my reticle to measure the IPSC target at extended ranges (except for practice).

To those looking to dump your current NV for WP; if you have a nice green gen 3 unit w/ good specs, I wouldn't necessarily kick it to the curb and spend a bunch of money to "upgrade" to WP unless you just have to have the latest thing.  The law of diminishing returns definitely applies here.  I don't regret my purchase at all, but I have yet to encounter a situation that my supertube can handle that any of my 50+ prior green tubes couldn't.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 12:27:49 AM EDT
[#41]
I have an example, reading vehicle license plates at a distance. An old PVS14 thick film cant do it well. Too low of resolution, too dim, if you add light, too much bloom.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 1:40:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have an example, reading vehicle license plates at a distance. An old PVS14 thick film cant do it well. Too low of resolution, too dim, if you add light, too much bloom.
View Quote
I believe that.  I have not personally had the need to do this, so I haven't encountered it myself.  W/o a 3x lens at a minimum, I can't imagine reading anything too far away no matter what the performance of the tube.  I have 20/10 vision and have been rocking NV on the head for 12+ years.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I don't regret my purchase at all, but I have yet to encounter a situation that my supertube can handle that any of my 50+ prior green tubes couldn't.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:33:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It was a great deal of fun, I'm a big fan of long range (for 22 LR) steel shooting and it is even more fun after sunset.  The time of flight seems magically longer at night, which is odd because obviously it isn't any longer than daytime.   I only got out to 225 yards last night because of time constraints (we've got a six month old).  Click...  (crickets)...  ding.  I got to do some more ATV driving w/ my TNV-14 WP too, that thing is insane.  Last night was once again super bright (moonlight, starlight, CLEAR skies) so honest to God I could've just driven w/o NV or white light.  That being said, these crazy high SNR tubes give a killer image whether the moon makes an appearance or not.  I still love green NV too, my clip-ons are green and perform GREAT.  I got out to 606 yards w/ my green clip-on just last month, I could easily see 2-3 MOA targets out to 1000yd+ but wasn't super confident w/ my dope beyond 600 and had to get heading home anyways.  The SWR Radius, especially in continuous mode, has taken all the ranging guesswork out of the equation, no more using my reticle to measure the IPSC target at extended ranges (except for practice).
View Quote
You inspired me. Not a bad way to spend a Wednesday night.

Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
To those looking to dump your current NV for WP; if you have a nice green gen 3 unit w/ good specs, I wouldn't necessarily kick it to the curb and spend a bunch of money to "upgrade" to WP unless you just have to have the latest thing.  The law of diminishing returns definitely applies here.  I don't regret my purchase at all, but I have yet to encounter a situation that my supertube can handle that any of my 50+ prior green tubes couldn't.  
View Quote
I echo this comment. I think if you're already rocking Gen 3, then the $ might be better spent on a better mount/helmet setup, training, Ir toys, duals, etc. Granted, if you're even contemplating super tubes, its already over for you and you might as well just start saving up.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 5:30:30 AM EDT
[#46]
I have very little understanding about all the specs posted but it’s very interesting. Any chance you plan on doing factory tour or assembly videos that explain how you make these and what is done to go from a regular to a super tube?
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have very little understanding about all the specs posted but it’s very interesting. Any chance you plan on doing factory tour or assembly videos that explain how you make these and what is done to go from a regular to a super tube?
View Quote
I'm betting L3 would be vehemently opposed to anyone touring a facility where any of their special sauce is being made.  Their trade secrets are what keeps them on top right now.  Unless you mean TNVC offering a tour, but then they aren't the ones making the tubes so super.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#48]
i would hope these are also assembled in a filtered, clean room, environment, which also does not lend itself well for guided tours. i know when i assemble any of my stuff, i take the same precautions as when i am working on exposed hard drives for data recovery, which is probably overkill, but i already have a space set up for it. nobody likes dust bunnies behind the optics. :-)
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#49]
@TNVC

I'm working with Kirsten on a quote for super tube RNVGs. She's super helpful and great to deal with. Is she the right person to discuss the technical details of the tube with? I have a few questions about how the tubes are selected and what is received after placing an order
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#50]
I really want to jump on the L3 wagon but I'd need to use them out in the boonies for myself. Matching them up against my hand selected Harris HP+'s over a few moonless nights I would know for sure. It's a dark sky location with no city glow. I'd absolutely be pissed at myself to spend the money only to find the difference minimal because I need to sell stuff off to keep wifey happy and I like all my tubes. I keep listing shit but nobody wants green and I ain't giving it away. 1st World problems, eh?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top