Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2018 3:25:55 PM EDT
Pictures through the same PVS-14 days a part.  I ask, as it seems as if the unit was damaged in shipping and not sure what can be done to get it fixed once I get it back.

Before shipping:

After Shipping:
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like your tube is out of allignment
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Pictures through the same PVS-14 days a part.  I ask, as it seems as if the unit was damaged in shipping and not sure what can be done to get it fixed once I get it back.

Before shipping:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/95864/KIMG0490__1__JPG-761677.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/95864/KIMG0489_JPG-761679.jpg

After Shipping:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/95864/20181204_183447-761680.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/95864/20181205_120038-761682.jpg
View Quote
Looks to me like it may have gotten bumped hard in shipment and broke one of the seals on the tube but I'm no expert.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:00:56 PM EDT
[#3]
1. Looks like it was left on due to the burn in.

2. Looks like it's going to air, but it could also be a tube out of alignment in the housing.

Either way, it was shipped incorrectly.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:08:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Check alignment but it looks like the indium seal may have started failing and the tube is going up to air.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 6:59:13 PM EDT
[#5]
The tube is on its way out.  I’m not sure why people are suggesting to check the tube alignment it’s literally not possible to tilt a tube and a PVS 14 housing.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The tube is on its way out.  I'm not sure why people are suggesting to check the tube alignment it's literally not possible to tilt a tube and a PVS 14 housing.
View Quote
When made properly lol
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Same camera? I'm thinking it's not the same tube...
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:25:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Hi everyone.  I am the purchaser of the PVS-14.  I took the photos using my cell phone right after receiving it.  The tube is actually crystal clear with the exception of the dark edge.  I took the pics against a white wall but some street/moon light came in through the closed blinds causing the pattern on the wall.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed, definitely doesn't look like the same tube.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:54:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hi everyone.  I am the purchaser of the PVS-14.  I took the photos using my cell phone right after receiving it.  The tube is actually crystal clear with the exception of the dark edge.  I took the pics against a white wall but some street/moon light came in through the closed blinds causing the pattern on the wall.
View Quote
So the seller offered you a better tube? That wasn’t a  shadow. Don’t piss on us and say it’s raining.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:59:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't really understand what you mean. It is a factory ITT night enforcer. I received it, powered it up and noticed the dark edge. I did my best to take a pic with my cell phone in the darkest room I could find. I then sent the pics to the seller. I shipped it back to him. I don't know how to switch a tube nor would I ever do something like that. The seller has been great and we are just trying to figure out how to handle it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:06:26 PM EDT
[#13]
He should be receiving it back on Monday per the tracking. It is a factory Night Enforcer that was purchased in 2010.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought the unit new from tnvc.  It has very low hours, and has been mounted and fired on a larue 556 gun.. maybe 20 rounds total.  Very light use, and well cared for.  My primary objective is to understand what could have caused the tube to deteriorate literally within a week.  I guess it could have been damaged in shipping even though it was well packaged.  I would find it hard to believe that it is worn out, and would like to know if I have a 2000 paper weight or if the issue is fixable.  The buyer has already been refunded as he filed a contest with PayPal which sent my account negative,.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Was thinking the same...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was thinking the same...
Different cameras
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:33:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Again I apologize for contacting Paypal but I was worried that I had been taken for a significant amount of money. I didn't elevate to a claim nor have I received a refund to my account.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:55:30 PM EDT
[#17]
It's odd.  Not showing in my account either.  I will reach out to paypal in the morning when I am fresh.  Must be in dispute purgatory.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:43:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Well, on the issue of shading, it looks pretty sharp and a little inverted to be shading, so it's probably not shading. I'm thinking it maybe just a chip in the FO inverter or something like that - it may not be a sign of imminent failure.

Shading generally encroaches from one side like that, but usually has the same shape as the edge of the tube, that is to say, the curve bends the same way, so I don't necessarily think it's shading. If it is though, it will get rapidly worse over a few months.

David.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Was there insurance on the shipping?
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Well, on the issue of shading, it looks pretty sharp and a little inverted to be shading, so it's probably not shading. I'm thinking it maybe just a chip in the FO inverter or something like that - it may not be a sign of imminent failure.

Shading generally encroaches from one side like that, but usually has the same shape as the edge of the tube, that is to say, the curve bends the same way, so I don't necessarily think it's shading. If it is though, it will get rapidly worse over a few months.

David.
View Quote
Any idea where I would start to trooubleshoot something besides shading?
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#21]
That sucks man. I saw your sale ad and him posting he will take it. Looked to be a very nice unit.

Was @TNVC doing their (10yr?) warrantee back in 2010? Not sure if it even qualifies due to it looking like it happened in shipping. Good luck to all involved
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 3:39:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Could be a few things. Will be hard to guess until you have it in hand. I would also followup with tnvc to see if it is under warranty or if there is any way to know that the tube it shipped with is the tube it returned with - i dont see the tiny blems in img 2 in images 3 or 4, but that could also be dust so who knows.

It could just be me, but i blacklist any buyer who tries to do an immediate chargeback without giving the seller a chance to make it right. Curious as to what the timelines are here.

Good luck to both. Hope its a minor issue.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:46:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Got the unit back.  The issue is noticable now that I am looking for it, but if it was already there, I could see how I wouldn't notice it.  I always used the eye cup, and when I just walked out on to the golf course, the shaded spot was not noticable unless I looked for it.  I was also able to snap a picture where the shaded spot is not  really noticable.  This is odd to say the least.   I will reach out to tnvc and ups to see what options I have
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:20:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Good luck with UPS..... I received a damaged tonneau cover from them years ago...... It was a NIGHTMARE trying to deal with them. You just have to simply understand it wasn't their fault, lol.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 4:44:31 AM EDT
[#25]
it does look like its going to air but thats not something i would expect from shipping - i have had a similar thing when repotting - i guess i got it too hot when soldering -
looking at the first and second pics it dont look like it was there before - have you checked to see if it is the same tube you got back - accidentally picking up the wrong tube does happen if there is a few on the bench
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:30:59 PM EDT
[#26]
How do you tell the difference between an edge blem and going to air from a broken indium seal?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#27]
the op could take the ocular off, and look at the intensifier tube with it off, and take a picture of it. then in a dark room, an take a picture the intensifier tube with the tube on, so we could see the difference
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 12:37:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Does the housing show any signs of impact damage? Does the objective lens rotate smoothly through its range of motion?

Before letting myself spiral into a blown tube depression(it doesnt look good though), I would want to disassemble, check alignment, check for debris. Plus with the tube out hook it up to 3v DC briefly to check if the dark edge persists outside of the housing.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Unit doesn't show any damage, and has been well taken care of.  I'm not an expert in these, so I will try to find somebody to send it to for inspection.  If it is going bad, how long do I have? Or is that dependent on amount of use?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#30]
well, to take the ocular lens off, it's just loosening the lock ring, then unscrewing the ocular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTwvNjY8210

it might be a piece of paper or something obscuring the edge of the phosphor screen.

if the tube was going to air, and it first appeared between the time you sent the scope to the buyer, and the buyer got it, the area that is going bad should be expanding quickly across the entire tube over the time it took for you to have received it back
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
well, to take the ocular lens off, it's just loosening the lock ring, then unscrewing the ocular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTwvNjY8210

it might be a piece of paper or something obscuring the edge of the phosphor screen.

if the tube was going to air, and it first appeared between the time you sent the scope to the buyer, and the buyer got it, the area that is going bad should be expanding quickly across the entire tube over the time it took for you to have received it back
View Quote
Thanks.  I will try this this weekend.  Nor further change to the observed blemish.  It still appears the same. from the buys pictures above and what I saw last week when I got the unit back.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:40:33 AM EDT
[#32]
I knew there was an example on youtube somewhere, it just took a while to search for it

Texas Gun Trust: PVS-14 Tube Going Out, Dying, Broken

this was mentioned in a thread about a tube going to air a while back, but I didn't remember the thread

note, in this example of a tube going bad, the shading follows the curvature of the tube. it's going to continue to expand, as the air interacts with the photocathode and poisons it. a tube that has died because it has gone to air, will have a dirty, mottled gray photocathode, instead of the nice blueish color you normally see.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#33]
If it's an acquired fault in the FO inverter, it will probably be visible in the ocular if you turn the unit off and shine a small flashlight into the ocular lens and move it around on an angle to clearly see the surface of the screen.

This may also show up physical faults in the screen, and any physical obstructions on the screen.

You can't check the photocathode without taking off the front lens.

One thing that is possible, though it might be unlikely, is a large emission point burn.

Anyway, if you keep using it, and it doesn't change after a year, it's not going to air.

David.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top