Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2018 4:09:17 PM EDT
Im thinking im gonna sell my HK M38 and add another TNVC PVS14 to the stable.
I want to go dual tubes but the best way would be another pvs14 since my wife likes to go shooting and doesn't have a set of nods yet and i could go dual or single when needed.

So what is the "best" Bridge mount as in quality, function, and usability.
Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death but i like real world opinions.
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Best bridge, if you want two 14s, is the RQE bridge. I like it a lot.

But I think MOD3s fit your situation better and are my main goggle. It’s pretty obvious I’m a fan of DG MOD3s

(You came back to Night Vision pretty fast. )
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I am in the same boat as I want to bring a second monocular with the girlfriend but want to be able to run duals as well.

I think I might go the MOD 3 route since the weight and bulk is so much lower. I like the idea of having a much smaller item in front of my face as a single PVS-14 is fairly large as it is.

Curious to see more input in this thread.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I love the MOD3's.  I also have an RQE bridge that I use one of the Mod 3 Pods with and a breach on the other side.  I need to have another tube put into my 14 housing so I can have two full bridge setups and not have to tear the Mod 3's apart to run with the thermal.  The RQE bridge is very nice and super adjustable.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess I really wish someone would make a MOD3 housing that swiveled up like a PVS31 or similar.

Doesn't seem too difficult, but then again I don't make them.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess I really wish someone would make a MOD3 housing that swiveled up like a PVS31 or similar.

Doesn't seem too difficult, but then again I don't make them.
View Quote
A Mod Armory D14 light weight or D14 detachable bridge mount swings up independently and will attach to Mod3 B pods or PVS14 bodies.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:33:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Im thinking im gonna sell my HK M38 and add another TNVC PVS14 to the stable.
I want to go dual tubes but the best way would be another pvs14 since my wife likes to go shooting and doesn't have a set of nods yet and i could go dual or single when needed.

So what is the "best" Bridge mount as in quality, function, and usability.
Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death but i like real world opinions.
Thanks
View Quote
What part of AZ?  You could check out my modarmory bridge. And yeah, binos are better......at removing more money from your wallet while offering no benefit other than saving a few ounces. Oh noes, one more battery!!!  No bridge contact or connection issues. If one breaks you still have a fully self contained second unit. No extra parts to run by itself (mod3).
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:08:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is an opinion that may be valid for some individuals' applications and use.

However, it is not one that is shared by any professional end-users that I am aware of, including ones that prefer the PVS-14 for most use.

Also, the "few ounces" that were alluded to are in the range of 8 ounces and up depending on bridge type, accessories, etc., i.e., starting at about half a pound and going up from there, cantilevered off the front of your face (levers and CGs and all that).

~Augee
View Quote
1)Most professionals will not need the ability to split their binoculars up so Mod3 as well as dual 14 which is true, but for those who need this ability such as hunters etc this option is a good choice. The ability to remove a pod or articulate one out of the way to sight through a thermal/NV scope can be beneficial option. For "me" having the ability to share/split up dual 14s is an excellent tactical advantage.

2)The weight savings of the dual 14's on a bridge mount when stowed/folded closer to your head is something that Sentinels, Mod3 Bravos, RNVG's can't do and will be left "Cantilevering" above and further away from your head can lead to neck strain.

3)Let's compare weight:
Dual PVS14 12.4oz x2, D-14 light weight bridge mount 3.2oz total 28oz
Sentinel dovetail 20.8oz
Sentinels ball 23.1. battery pack 6.8oz total 29.9oz
Mod3 Bravo 22.0oz
Mod3 Bravo gain 22.oz, gain housings x2 1.2, D14 light weight bridge 3.2oz total 27.6oz
PVS15 22.9oz
BNVD 19.57oz
The average between the dual 14s and the 6 systems mentioned above is an average weight difference of 4.21oz.
Compare prices dual 14s 5,000 vs the others 2,000 5,000+ additional.

4) If weight savings is your number 1 requirement I'd recommend looking at the Mini BNVD-SG from JRH Enterprises that weigh in at 14.63oz
https://www.jrhenterprises.com/Mini-BNVD-SG-Lightweight-Dual-Tube-Night-Vision-MINIBNVDSG.htm

Compare prices dual 14 with bridge mount @ 5,000 vs the others 2,000 5,000+ additional. Is saving that much money worth the extra 4.21oz average??? depends if your a professional user or not
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:54:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 3:00:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Again, I pointed out that it is a valid option depending on use and application. It's up to each individual person to determine what best meets their needs and at what price point.

IMHO, you cooked your weight comparisons a little bit there to come up with your average:

a) you included the weight of the remote battery pack with the Sentinel ball-detent configuration, however, that's weight that is/can be used as a counterweight (and also, is not necessary depending on what mount you use), however, you used it to raise your "average" system weight. Given that many folks use up to a pound, and sometimes even more of counterweight, if you want to include that in the system weight, you could factor in counterweights for all systems, adding an additional 16 ounces to every other number.

b) you also included MOD-3Bs in a bridged configuration (not a bino configuration), which again, is basically two bridged PVS-14s again, again, "cooking" the aggregate system weight to arrive at a higher "average" weight for dedicated binos.

c) You chose some pig systems like the PVS-15, but chose to omit the RNVGs at 20.1 ounces, DTNVGs at 18.8 ounces, and the PVS-31s -- you even mentioned a lower-weight option, but for whatever reason chose not to factor it into your "average."

d) While it's good that you're happy with the D-14 Lightweight Bridge, others may not ultimately opt to use that bridge mount, and others can be heavier--i.e., you chose a stated "lightweight" option for your comparison, but chose particularly heavy dual systems, and added some red herrings to bring the average closer to your total system weight.

Since the two most direct comparisons are perhaps the MOD-3B and the bridged PVS-14, you're still talking 22 ounces to 28 ounces based on your numbers, i.e., a 6 ounce difference, closer than further from half a pound.

Again, even those systems have different capabilities, so it's not necessarily a direct comparison, and there's still room for some users to prefer one configuration over another.

My issue is not with some people having a preference for bridged PVS-14s over dedicated binos--again, different customers have different needs and priorities, obviously they are both valid options. My issue comes with the statement [as if it were] fact that binos are just a cash grab and have no advantages over bridged PVS-14s.

Also, there are professional end-users that use the MOD-3s, albeit this is much more in the Law Enforcement sector than the military, who are frankly if anything more likely to use bridged PVS-14s out of necessity.

However, for many LE agencies and departments who may not have enough funding to purchase dedicated binos for each officer, but want to be able to use true BNVDs when they can, the MOD-3 is a great option, because they can have the ability to equip every single officer with a monocular if needed, however, given that it is rare that every single officer will ever be on shift and on duty and need NV at once--if it's a small team SWAT deployment, or if only a portion of the force is required, guys can used dedicated BNVDs, instead of having to bridge PVS-14s. Professional end-users doesn't just mean military SOF with huge budgets--many professional end-users, through no fault of their own, may face similar budgetary limitations that commercial customers will, and may have to decide between similar considerations, e.g., splitting a pair of binoculars for another user. The point is not whether they have a huge budget or a little budget, but that they rely on the devices for both their lives and livelihoods.

~Augee
View Quote
You really can't be wrong can you? The numbers are not cook up, but numbers taken from manufactures sights as well as TNVC. What didn't you like about the Sentinels with the battery pack being 29+ ounces because it's what you run? I did include sentinels without the battery pack and other systems. I think I gave a full range of systems out there and also included Mod3B gain housing and a bridge for reference.

Each system has their advantages and disadvantages, but it seems like you don't want to admit any of the cons for dedicated binos vs dual 14s. Like it or not facts are facts.

You continually tout the advantages dedicated binos have and constantly say the advantages they have over dual 14s care to point them out that would validate the 2,000-5,000+ cost? Oh that's right pilots aren't issued anything but dedicated bino, yet most of us common folk don't need to read instruments/maps/etc at arms length either. Yeah I know dual 14s and articulating binos PVS15/31/BNVDs can't be truly collimated, but unfortunately there are several larger companies that will have a different opinion than yours.

Lets talk about Mod3 Bravos which do have some play in the way they mount to their bridge which is also not a 100% lock up so wouldn't that also prevent them from being collimated the way that fixed binos are? or is it just because TNVC carries them they're the cats meow?

Isn't it also possible to mark the bridge and 14 housing so that if you where ever to remove them from the bridge it could be realigned to the mount to achieve just as good as a collimated that can be done on PVS15/31/BNVDs that TNVC sells for thousands more?

If weight is such a hot button for you why are you not constantly promoting or never mentioning the extremely light weight mini BNVD-SG that JRH Enterprises carry but TNVC doesn't????

Just a note I'm not calling out TNVC as a company in a whole since most of them are good people with more than fair market prices, but since you're a representative of them you're speaking on their behalf which is why I reference their prices and offerings.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I know dual 14s and articulating binos PVS15/31/BNVDs can't be truly collimated
View Quote
Is this true?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Is this true?
View Quote
They can be, but not as precise as fixed mounted binos, but also consider if you're not trying to read maps/text either. All you're trying to do is make each independent tube see a parallel image since articulating housings/bridges can vary especially with IP distances it will not repeatedly come together at the same point. Different vendors/manufactures will give you mixed reviews. Fixed googles people will say you'll get massive head aches while I have yet to hear any complaints from people using PVS15 either.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:13:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
::sigh:: Responses in red.

Quoted:

You really can't be wrong can you?

It's not about being right or wrong. It's about the representation of opinions as they apply to certain uses, users, and applications as irrefutable fact that I take issues with, and that compel me to respond.

The numbers are not cook up, but numbers taken from manufactures sights as well as TNVC. What didn't you like about the Sentinels with the battery pack being 29+ ounces because it's what you run? I did include sentinels without the battery pack and other systems. I think I gave a full range of systems out there and also included Mod3B gain housing and a bridge for reference.

The data has been presented. Readers can decide how they want to approach it. I run a lot of different NODs--my personal opinion is that it is disingenuous to include the weight of the external battery pack in the system weight when we're talking about the amount of weight that hangs off the front of your face, but that is, once again, my personal opinion.  

Each system has their advantages and disadvantages, but it seems like you don't want to admit any of the cons for dedicated binos vs dual 14s. Like it or not facts are facts.

At no point have I refuted that there can be advantages and disadvantages to different setups. In fact, educating consumers as to what they are is literally, as you later point out, my job. We sell a lot of bridge mounts, again, application, use, and users play a tremendous part in determining what those "pros" and "cons" are, but again, I've never said that bridge mounts were useless. In fact, to do so, would be akin to cutting off my nose to spite my face. Again, I refer you back to "opinions being stated as facts," and the fact that I have never said that bridge mounts didn't or couldn't have advantages to different people based on their individual circumstances.

You continually tout the advantages dedicated binos have and constantly say the advantages they have over dual 14s care to point them out that would validate the 2,000-5,000+ cost? Oh that's right pilots aren't issued anything but dedicated bino, yet most of us common folk don't need to read instruments/maps/etc at arms length either. Yeah I know dual 14s and articulating binos PVS15/31/BNVDs can't be truly collimated, but unfortunately there are several larger companies that will have a different opinion than yours.

The advantages of dedicated binos have been discussed a myriad of times, however the response of some has essentially been to say "nuh uh." Accepting that people are different and so is perception and sensory response, I have continued to provide concrete data points which are, as you say "facts," because I respect the fact that you feel that the other advantages that so many end-users and professionals report are still merely opinion.

Lets talk about Mod3 Bravos which do have some play in the way they mount to their bridge which is also not a 100% lock up so wouldn't that also prevent them from being collimated the way that fixed binos are? or is it just because TNVC carries them they're the cats meow?

Isn't it also possible to mark the bridge and 14 housing so that if you where ever to remove them from the bridge it could be realigned to the mount to achieve just as good as a collimated that can be done on PVS15/31/BNVDs that TNVC sells for thousands more?

I'm not sure what to say here besides the fact that it still does not seem like you really understand what is meant by "collimation." The funny thing is that really, collimation is not even that big of a deal with modern tube and housing manufacturing, but again, you and some others have requested objective fact, and dismissed all other professional user feedback as opinion. That's the only reason it comes up so often. It's a data point and little else. That being said, extremely bad misalignment can in fact cause headaches, but again, for most modern devices, unless you draw the short straws of tolerance stacking, are not that bad.

Furthermore, I would just like to point out that I was personally an early adopter of the MOD-3, if you're an ARFCOM Team Member, you can reach back into the archives and find my review of the pre-production MOD-3s from long before I had any affiliation with TNVC, and which I still own. In fact, I upgraded to those early MOD-3s from a... wait for it, bridged PVS-14 setup.

If weight is such a hot button for you why are you not constantly promoting or never mentioning the extremely light weight mini BNVD-SG that JRH Enterprises carry but TNVC doesn't????

Weight is not a hot button issue for me... however, the weight difference was characterized as by the member to whom I initially responded as being "a few ounces." English is a funny language, a "few" is hard to define precisely, but to my mind, at least, it suggests "negligible," or at very least... less than a half-dozen. So I pointed out that the definition of "a few" was likely to be subjective.

Vis-a-vis the Mini BNVD-SG, as has already been pointed out, we do have the full Night Vision Devices product line available to our customers, however, as they are not a regular inventory item, they've simply not yet been added to the website, while the "legacy" BNVDs were added years ago, and we continue to receive active contracts for, they're still up because there's no sense in taking them down. It's not some conspiracy.

Beyond that, even among our other offerings, weight is not a primary factor, it is simply a factor to consider in choosing goggles. I am not the one latching on to specific data points, I'd like to think I try to give a good overall assessment of products as complete systems, but I suppose that too is a subjective matter of opinion.

Just a note I'm not calling out TNVC as a company in a whole since most of them are good people with more than fair market prices, but since you're a representative of them you're speaking on their behalf which is why I reference their prices and offerings.

I do appreciate the recognition that I am but a single employee and representative.

Again, ultimately both my role and goal is to educate first and foremost, and that's not a platitude--I have been a professional educator for longer than I have been a professional member of the "tactical industry."

As many (but not all) here may know, this is really more a continuation of discussions that have been going on for a long time in this sub-forum, it's not something that has escalated suddenly over the course of a couple of posts in this particular thread. As such, there seem to be certain data points and points of friction and contention that keep getting returned to over and over as a result of a long-running point and counter-point discussion that has caused certain issues to appear more important than they are because they keep getting brought up--the important point is to look at all of these products and devices as complete systems with different advantages and disadvantages relative to one another, and determine which one best meets your individual needs.

~Augee
View Quote
Dancing around the questions doesn't prove your point, but please enlighten me about the performance advantage that dedicated binos have over dual 14s with the same/like spec tubes and why they're worth the 2K-5K+ dollars more besides saying it's a personal choice.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:19:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Dancing around the questions doesn't prove your point, but please enlighten me about the performance advantage that dedicated binos have over dual 14s with the same/like spec tubes and why they're worth the 2K-5K+ dollars more besides saying it's a personal choice.
View Quote
Jesus H you are hard headed...

You, and I mean this in every sense of the word, LITERALLY ignored everything Augee said so you could hit your own dick with a hammer to try to one up him.

Your backyard usage of NODs is not the end all, be all of NOD usage. Just like our operational and combat usage of NODs is not the end all, be all. But your active refusal to take basic facts as just that, really shows your ass.

And to reiterate what Augee said, you dont wear a battery pack or counter weight ON THE FRONT OF YOUR HELMET, so that weight won't be "cantilevering" out front. If you do, well you deserve it.

And please show me where I can get a pair of new  OMNI VII or better PVS-14s and a bridge for 5K, cuz I'll go buy them right now.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:23:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

We've been around this mulberry bush several times, but here's one:

A single set of controls that control both tubes/the whole device (I've also noted when the topic's come up, I don't like dual gain binos, but that's a conversation for a different time). In terms of utility to the end user? Big performance advantage, IMHO. That alone is enough without starting factor in weight or other considerations--which is all also assuming that, per your scenario, you managed to get two PVS-14s with perfectly matched tubes.

Not impossible, hell, we specifically note that an advantage of buying your unit from us, is that we can match your tubes later on down the road, versus buying two units from random sources and hoping the tubes are well matched. Then again, I've used an OMNI VII bridged to an OMNI III. Not ideal, but I've never been a huge tube spec snob. Still not. Specs are important, but they're not the be all, end all either. Once again--the system as a whole.

And roger, I get that having a single set of controls may not be important to some users, but from a professional end-user standpoint, it's a human engineering and interface factor that makes the device easier to use. Why do you think, despite how I may personally feel about the specific functionality of some of them, that so many devices have various forms of automatic shut-off and activation built into them to continue to make them even more user-friendly? Dedicated binoculars are designed... to be used as binoculars, so while the different housings may have different features, they're all built with design considerations that take into account being used as binoculars. PVS-14s are not designed to be used bridged, it just happens to be that they can be based on their design. It doesn't mean that it's the best solution, but it does work.

Again, not important to you? Feel bridged PVS-14s still have an advantage for you? No problem. Hey, like you said, it's an opinion, based on my use and my experiences.

Finally, I'm not quite sure where you're getting your numbers from... $2-5,000 difference?

Our L3 UF WP PVS-14s are $4,020 each. Two of them are $8,040. We sell some expensive bridges, but since you apparently have a clear preference for your D-14 Lightweight Bridge, let's go with that, I'm seeing $350 from a quick Google search. Other than that, all of these are our (TNVC) retail prices.

So, a set of bridged PVS-14s at new retail with L3 UF WP tubes? $8,390.

Starting with our most affordable binos with L3 UF WP tubes, our RNVGs are $8,526. That's $136 more than bridged PVS-14s with similar performance tubes.

Oh, but PVS-14s have manual gain! I don't think manual gain is that important on BNVDs, but sure. And while we're at it, let's address the fact that you can use them as modular systems. MOD-3B Dual Gain, L3 UF WP: $9,245 so, you're at an $855 difference. Getting more substantial, for sure, but still, nowhere near your price range estimate.

But wait, there's more. Let's take the most expensive single set of traditional-format BNVDs that we can openly sell to any U.S. citizen, so excepting things like the PVS-21s or PVS-31s, etc. DTNVGs with L3 UF WP tubes: $9,900 Okay, so now we're "up there." With a difference of $1,510.

Unless you're military or LE, $1,510 is the greatest difference between a set of dedicated binos we sell, and bridging together two PVS-14s with similar tubes using the bridge of your choosing, not mine. So, not even at the bottom end of what you're claiming is the price difference between dedicated binos and bridged PVS-14s. Make that a Wilcox or RQE bridge? You cost difference is gone.

Oh, but such and such company sells binos with Photonis tubes for this price, so I can get them much cheaper... Okay. We don't carry those, no biggie. There are others who do, and consequently sell binos at appropriate pricing with those tubes. The prices may not be the same, but I'd be willing to bet the differences are pretty close.

Oh, but I can buy used PVS-14s on the EE even cheaper than Photonis tubes from a dealer...

I mean... I'm pretty sure there's a set of AVS-6 ANVIS still sitting on the EE for $4,000 with the full support package including AI mount, battery pack, etc. If it's not still there, it sold recently, and it's a good, but by no means an unprecedented deal. You wanna compare used to used... there's some pretty good deals out there on used binos, too.

I mean, if you want to talk gray market PVS-31s, sure... you can pay well over $13,390 (and likely more) for 'em (your upper range of $5,000 from a set of bridged PVS-14s), but I've never recommended or advocated for folks to buy 'em, and as good as it could potentially be for our bottom line, as it stands right now, we couldn't sell them right now for that or any other price to an individual even if we wanted to (see the RNVG vs. Sentinel post for a small taste of my thoughts on the 31s in general anyways...).

~Augee
View Quote
Well damn single controls is definitely worth the money and the ONLY thing you can come up with . Although I said TNVC does have fair prices for what they sell you have competitors that sell for a whole lot less some with their ITT/Harris Gen3 tubes PINNACLE tube, the same ones you sell for 3,258 they sell for 2,650. This outfit builds, services, and supplies a lot of NV stores located in the southern US, so I'm sure you know who they are.  Want a cheaper route? build them yourself @ 2,200 for the same tube, glass, and housing. Also they're not hard to build properly with a little research and common tools minus the tube lock ring. Need it purged and checked for leaks easily done at home also with very little mechanical knowledge. Yeah I know not as good as state of the art test equipment and It'll blow up the second you turn it on.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:34:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Jesus H you are hard headed...

You, and I mean this in every sense of the word, LITERALLY ignored everything Augee said so you could hit your own dick with a hammer to try to one up him.

Your backyard usage of NODs is not the end all, be all of NOD usage. Just like our operational and combat usage of NODs is the end all, be all. But your active refusal to take basic facts as just that, really shows your ass.

And to reiterate what Augee said, you dont wear a battery pack or counter weight ON THE FRONT OF YOUR HELMET, so that weight won't be "cantilevering" out front. If you do, well you deserve it.

And please show me where I can get a pair of new  OMNI VII or better PVS-14s and a bridge for 5K, cuz I'll go buy them right now.
View Quote
I'm sorry where did I say that the battery pack was hanging off of your face???? Try reading it again, I merely was clearly stating total weight of the system.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:41:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:43:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm sorry where did I say that the battery pack was hanging off of your face???? Try reading it again, I merely was clearly stating total weight of the system.
View Quote
So what's the amount of counterweight needed to offset the neck strain by hanging 28oz of dual 14s on the front of your lid?

Because that should count in the total weight of the system that you're espousing with rabid enthusiasm.

I use 18 ounces for Sentinels in a dovetail for comfort, so based on the numbers you posted I would need 24 ounces of counterweight to be comfortable with dual 14s, mathematically. Now, I understand that differed person to person, but that's not insignificant.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:49:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You can build your own binos too if you wanna go that route.

~Augee
View Quote
I’m considering it.

Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:25:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So what's the amount of counterweight needed to offset the neck strain by hanging 28oz of dual 14s on the front of your lid?

Because that should count in the total weight of the system that you're espousing with rabid enthusiasm.

I use 18 ounces for Sentinels in a dovetail for comfort, so based on the numbers you posted I would need 24 ounces of counterweight to be comfortable with dual 14s, mathematically. Now, I understand that differed person to person, but that's not insignificant.
View Quote
Depending on if I run a nightcap or ballistic helmet. I generally run 10 round stripper clips of M193 x2, 4 CR123A and 6 AA lithiums on my night cap. On the helmet I run the same amount of ammo, 2 CR123A, 4 AA, IR strobe, M1 facing up and a V1 on the rail facing forward. Having a counter weight to get a decent CG is great and helps if you keep your head level. Start moving up and down and any system you'll start to feel after a short amount of time which is why I prefer articulating googles so it stows closer to your head cutting don on the flt weight when not in use.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:33:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah, man, definitely what I said.

I think folks can read well enough to make up their own minds. Until next time, I’m sure, cheers brother!

~Augee
View Quote
I couldn't agree more.... Maybe a little too much info for most people.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 6:11:17 AM EDT
[#28]
I have dual 14’s on that S shaped bridge. I can’t remember what it’s called.

I wish I had just built a Mod 3, or even a dedicated bino now that I have a 3rd PVS-14.

One thing you can’t forget is that the weight of the unit basically get doubled, because you’re going to need a massive counterweight for those dual 14’s up front.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:12:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I’m considering it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee
I’m considering it.

I’m in the process. I enjoy building them more than I have a chance to use them anyways.

I’m thinking maybe MOD3’s but I also am thinking dedicated duals and keeping my PVS-14. Hmmm
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:56:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:33:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Interesting thread...Subject matter of dual PVS-14's having a power source and/or a dedicated battery pack? I think CJ7Hawk found an interesting device HERE
View Quote
Great thread I seen that weeks ago, to bad it was never revealed how it was wired to the batt housing. Also any idea who made the bridge?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This is an opinion that may be valid for some individuals' applications and use.

However, it is not one that is shared by any professional end-users that I am aware of, including ones that prefer the PVS-14 for most use.

Also, the "few ounces" that were alluded to are in the range of 8 ounces and up depending on bridge type, accessories, etc., i.e., starting at about half a pound and going up from there, cantilevered off the front of your face (levers and CGs and all that).

~Augee
View Quote
Well sure the pros use them. They aren’t paying. And maybe I was engaging in a tad bit of hyperbole but for most regular users not much.

Just curious what you’re weighing?  Duals with lightweight bridge is a 1.5 to 4 ounce ounce difference between sentinels depending on the mount. Dtnvgs are a couple less ounces but nothing crazy.

Pvs14 - 10.8 ounces X 2 = 21.6. Lightweight bridge is 3.2 iirc = 24.6.

Sentinels - 20.8 or 23.1(ball and detent)

Pvs15 - 22 ounces

Dtnvg - 18.8 ounces

Rnvg - 19.6 ounces

We are talking thousands, multiple thousands more for a few ounces. Again, not saying it might not be worth it. I just think not for most.

I realize everyone is different. Extra ounces on the end of my AR is noticeable due to physics. 5 ounces on top of my head?  Not so much. At least to me.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
burst malfunction...

Since I had a three round burst anyways, I may as well highlight the major point...
View Quote
I’m sorry, looking at this factually, for most non professional end users it is. I’m not trying to paint you guys in a bad light I just....I dunno.

I just see noobs come here listing a budget of 5 to 7k and wanting duals and I immediately see industry folk try to get them to spend more on true binos. Sorry, just my opinion. That would make me feel a little dirty. Joe blow who is going to put maybe ten hours a year on them between hiking, some shooting and hunting should bust out thousands more for........ounces?  One less battery to fumble with?  Less ability to share?

Sorry, I just don’t buy it. Then again I always hated sales. Never had the stomach for it. And I get the business aspect of it.

And I’m not calling you guys in particular out. I’m not calling anyone out. I’m just saying how it would make me feel.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Is this true?
View Quote
Doesn’t matter anyway. It’s bs marketing and that I will stand up too.

Common sense time. No one has perfectly senstrical eyes sitting in their skull. But perfectly aligned tubes are suppose to be the best?  Nope. Being able to align each tube with your specific right or left eye is optimal.

Ask your optometrist about it next time you go. He/she has no horse in this race.

Aligning a clip on to your day sight is a different story. Somehow people have erroneously translated that to tubes hanging off your head.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:36:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

A single set of controls that control both tubes/the whole device (I've also noted when the topic's come up, I don't like dual gain binos, but that's a conversation for a different time). In terms of utility to the end user? Big performance advantage, IMHO. That alone is enough without starting factor in weight or other considerations--which is all also assuming that, per your scenario, you managed to get two PVS-14s with perfectly matched tubes.

Not impossible, hell, we specifically note that an advantage of buying your unit from us, is that we can match your tubes later on down the road, versus buying two units from random sources and hoping the tubes are well matched. Then again, I've used an OMNI VII bridged to an OMNI III. Not ideal, but I've never been a huge tube spec snob. Still not. Specs are important, but they're not the be all, end all either. Once again--the system as a whole.

And roger, I get that having a single set of controls may not be important to some users, but from a professional end-user standpoint, it's a human engineering and interface factor that makes the device easier to use. Why do you think, despite how I may personally feel about the specific functionality of some of them, that so many devices have various forms of automatic shut-off and activation built into them to continue to make them even more user-friendly? Dedicated binoculars are designed... to be used as binoculars, so while the different housings may have different features, they're all built with design considerations that take into account being used as binoculars. PVS-14s are not designed to be used bridged, it just happens to be that they can be based on their design. It doesn't mean that it's the best solution, but it does work.

Again, not important to you? Feel bridged PVS-14s still have an advantage for you? No problem. Hey, like you said, it's an opinion, based on my use and my experiences.

Finally, I'm not quite sure where you're getting your numbers from... $2-5,000 difference?

Our L3 UF WP PVS-14s are $4,020 each. Two of them are $8,040. We sell some expensive bridges, but since you apparently have a clear preference for your D-14 Lightweight Bridge, let's go with that, I'm seeing $350 from a quick Google search. Other than that, all of these are our (TNVC) retail prices.

Starting with our most affordable binos with L3 UF WP tubes, our RNVGs are $8,526. That's $136 more than bridged PVS-14s with similar performance tubes.

Oh, but PVS-14s have manual gain! I don't think manual gain is that important on BNVDs, but sure. And while we're at it, let's address the fact that you can use them as modular systems. MOD-3B Dual Gain, L3 UF WP: $9,245 so, you're at an $855 difference. Getting more substantial, for sure, but still, nowhere near your price range estimate.

But wait, there's more. Let's take the most expensive single set of traditional-format BNVDs that we can openly sell to any U.S. citizen, so excepting things like the PVS-21s or PVS-31s, etc. DTNVGs with L3 UF WP tubes: $9,900 Okay, so now we're "up there." With a difference of $1,510.

Unless you're military or LE, $1,510 is the greatest difference between a set of dedicated binos we sell, and bridging together two PVS-14s with similar tubes using the bridge of your choosing, not mine. So, not even at the bottom end of what you're claiming is the price difference between dedicated binos and bridged PVS-14s. Make that a Wilcox or RQE bridge? You cost difference is gone.

Oh, but such and such company sells binos with Photonis tubes for this price, so I can get them much cheaper... Okay. We don't carry those, no biggie. There are others who do, and consequently sell binos at appropriate pricing with those tubes. The prices may not be the same, but I'd be willing to bet the differences are pretty close.

Oh, but I can buy used PVS-14s on the EE even cheaper than Photonis tubes from a dealer...

I mean... I'm pretty sure there's a set of AVS-6 ANVIS still sitting on the EE for $4,000 with the full support package including AI mount, battery pack, etc. If it's not still there, it sold recently, and it's a good, but by no means an unprecedented deal. You wanna compare used to used... there's some pretty good deals out there on used binos, too.

I mean, if you want to talk gray market PVS-31s, sure... you can pay well over $13,390 (and likely more) for 'em (your upper range of $5,000 from a set of bridged PVS-14s), but I've never recommended or advocated for folks to buy 'em, and as good as it could potentially be for our bottom line, as it stands right now, we couldn't sell them right now for that or any other price to an individual even if we wanted to (see the RNVG vs. Sentinel post for a small taste of my thoughts on the 31s in general anyways...).

~Augee
View Quote
I’m not sure where you’re getting your prices from but dual L3 WP 14’s for $8000+ grand?  Nah.

There is a place you can get them from brand new for $6400. I got two new Photonis 14’s for $5100.

You’re cherry picking numbers.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
What needed?  A Mohawk with a couple of bars in it

Not sure why you think two pounds is needed to offset two 14’s. A properly adjusted helmet mitigates a lot of the weight. But I’m sure you know this.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I’m not sure where you’re getting your prices from but dual L3 WP 14’s for $8000+ grand?  Nah.

There is a place you can get them from brand new for $6400. I got two new Photonis 14’s for $5100.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

What Photonis? Are the spec sheets for the tubes similar?

Like it or not (and we know you hate L3), L3’s filmless WP beat all but the most expensive Photonis, and I doubt you’re getting Dual Photonis 4G PVS14 w/top spec tubes new w/warranty for $6400.

Having said that, I’ll be glad to be proven wrong. PM me if you’d rather not post the website for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The Echo tubes are NOT 4G INTENS period and they don't hold a candle to L3 filmless. I get the sales hype and the low prices, but when it's dark out there, (what using NV is all about), the L3 filmless shines well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

What Photonis? Are the spec sheets for the tubes similar?

Like it or not (and we know you hate L3), L3’s filmless WP beat all but the most expensive Photonis, and I doubt you’re getting Dual Photonis 4G PVS14 w/top spec tubes new w/warranty for $6400.

Having said that, I’ll be glad to be proven wrong. PM me if you’d rather not post the website for whatever reason.
The Echo tubes are NOT 4G INTENS period and they don't hold a candle to L3 filmless. I get the sales hype and the low prices, but when it's dark out there, (what using NV is all about), the L3 filmless shines well.
That’s sorta what I was driving at.

I’m in the “i probably don’t need $3500/tube performance” camp, but I’d rather people compare apples to apples.

L3 filmless performance can be matched, but only if you pay MORE per tube (from what I can gather)
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#40]
L3 filmless is a shit tier product being peddled at top tier. They are cooking tubes too long there and pushing them out as ok despite the errors. Only Photonis has the way, the light and the truth. Amen.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:49:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hey Vic I know pics don't do NV justice, but any pics of the Echo tubes vs the L3 Omni VIII? I know Terry1 did a comparison and he said the Echos did well but the L3s where still better. I wish there where some pic to get an idea how close/far apart they are. Clasky did an awesome job on his NV comparison thread and I know that must have taken a lot of time and effort, but it'd be great to see just how much things have progressed from there.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:41:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
L3 filmless is a shit tier product being peddled at top tier. They are cooking tubes too long there and pushing them out as ok despite the errors. Only Photonis has the way, the light and the truth. Amen.
View Quote
Seriously though, where can I get a set of dual PVS14s with Photonis that have specs that match L3 filmless for $6400?
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Seriously though, where can I get a set of dual PVS14s with Photonis that have specs that match L3 filmless for $6400?
View Quote
Base specs? You're not, but the Photonis tubes will last longer and are at least a 100x tougher. Besides, those gucci specs you pay for eventually fade away and you're left with a much more expensive paper weight. For some purposes, like for the military or astronomy (TNVC astronomy thread is the best thread in the forum) they make sense so if you buy for that reason you're justified. Otherwise you're just paying for bragging rights that anyone outside the knowledgeable few really don't give a shit or can even tell.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:30:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Base specs? You're not, but the Photonis tubes will last longer and are at least a 100x tougher. Besides, those gucci specs you pay for eventually fade away and you're left with a much more expensive paper weight. For some purposes, like for the military or astronomy (TNVC astronomy thread is the best thread in the forum) they make sense so if you buy for that reason you're justified. Otherwise you're just paying for bragging rights that anyone outside the knowledgeable few really don't give a shit or can even tell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh, my understanding was that Gen 3 lasts longer and fades slower than Gen 2 (which Photonis technically is).

And to be clear, I’m not bashing Photonis here. I might end up with Photonis tubes if I ever get Duals, because that extra umph and cost of L3 filmless  probably won’t be worth it to me.

I will buy the idea that unfilmed Gen 3 is more fragile than Gen 2, but again, I’m not any sort of expert.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:29:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Double
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#47]
I've got the Wilcox G22e and the Wilcox AN/PVS14 bridge to run dual 14s or one 14 and the Breach, but I'd like to helmet mount the gen 1 REAP-IR

Right now it fits but only barely, and I can't wear glasses. If I switch to contact lenses its passable but not ideal

What bridge can push the REAP another half to a full inch further from my eye?

@TNVC

Help me spend some money
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've got the Wilcox G22e and the Wilcox AN/PVS14 bridge to run dual 14s or one 14 and the Breach, but I'd like to helmet mount the gen 1 REAP-IR

Right now it fits but only barely, and I can't wear glasses. If I switch to contact lenses its passable but not ideal

What bridge can push the REAP another half to a full inch further from my eye?

@TNVC

Help me spend some money
View Quote
I’m guessing that RQE is your answer.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Who is this Munny guy and why is he so fantastically wrong about everything???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top