Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2018 9:20:44 AM EDT
I was wondering if temperature has any effect on nvg tube's ? Recently I was at the cabin with my pvs-14 gsci version, and it would seem that the colder it got, the better it worked..or could this just be my imagination ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjNTtvK6_tk
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was wondering if temperature has any effect on nvg tube's ? Recently I was at the cabin with my pvs-14 gsci version, and it would seem that the colder it got, the better it worked..or could this just be my imagination ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjNTtvK6_tk
View Quote
I dont know that mine works better. I always felt like my tube needed to "warm up"

ever since I got my 14 from TNVC in cold weather especially when I turn it on and set the gain a few seconds after it being on it flickers a little.
after 3-4 minutes once its been running the adjustment is smooth.

For me this is more pronounced in cold weather and takes a few minutes longer.

but overall performance seems to be the same regardless of summer/winter
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#2]
as the tube gets colder, the ebi current drops, so there is less apparent noise interfering with viewing

affects of temp on ebi
Affect of temperature on Image Intensifier EBI Night Vision Dark Current

how the level of light illuminating something has to be above the ebi, for things to be visualized
Night Vision EBI Image Intensifier Dark Current

thanks to past member for creating videos
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was wondering if temperature has any effect on nvg tube's ?
View Quote
cold weather takes moisture out of the air and settles dust which makes make nvgs better. At least in AK it did during the winter.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:20:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Really interesting video's, thanks for sharing ! So in theory..if you put the pvs-14 in the fridge, and use it afterward, one would have a clearer image ?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, but putting NODs in the fridge and then bringing them out into normal temperature and humid air results in fogging lenses.

Though, if you purge them and wrap them in cling wrap, you might prevent that.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, but putting NODs in the fridge and then bringing them out into normal temperature and humid air results in fogging lenses.

Though, if you purge them and wrap them in cling wrap, you might prevent that.
View Quote
I wonder if anyone has ever tried to cool a tube with a peltier module in a NVD.

Edit: Ahhh Yes. http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3751709.pdf
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:02:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to cool a tube with a peltier module in a NVD.

Edit: Ahhh Yes. http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3751709.pdf
View Quote
That's a slick arrangement.

Photomultipliers (great grandfather of image intensifiers) are pretty routinely cooled in a variety of scientific applications. Depending on the photocathode, dark current (EBI) can decrease by a factor of two for every ~3C. Benefits can compound pretty quick. Want to say I've seen temps as low as -80C for cooled photomultipliers.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Photomultipliers (great grandfather of image intensifiers) are pretty routinely cooled in a variety of scientific applications. Depending on the photocathode, dark current (EBI) can decrease by a factor of two for every ~3C. Benefits can compound pretty quick. Want to say I've seen temps as low as -80C for cooled photomultipliers.
View Quote
Image Intensifier tubes: Concept, 1928, First working 1934, Netherlands.
Photomultipliers: Concept 1930, First working, 1934, Russia.

I don't think this quite qualifies as "great grandfather"... :)

David.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

David.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

David.
Yep it is true of all electronics. In fact some old satellite amplifiers use  in communications receivers used nitrogen to cool them to reduce the noise. Even newer amps for that purpose are rated by temperature rather than noise figure.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:41:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

David.
View Quote
Did the 1928 concept or 1934 prototype image tube rely on secondary emission for gain? I'm all for historical tidbits. Don't think image tubes had gain as a product of electron multiplication through secondary emission until an MCP was stuck in? If so, PMTs predate that. Image dissectors (like an orthicon) that had gain through secondary emission aren't the type of "image tubes" I had in mind either. ;)
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:31:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

David.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

David.
I would agree, a photomultiplier tube used secondary emission to detect very low levels of light but were incapable of anything to do with images by themselves. they were used in some very elementary TV equipment to produce pictures but just as a light detector.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top