Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/30/2018 11:52:21 PM EDT
What is the current best value in the thermal market right now? Have been kicking this around for more than a year and the value purchases always seem to change.

Budget limit is absolute at $3k, but would prefer to remain around $2500. PVS-14 is coming shortly, but for my purposes, I would like to get the thermal first.

Any and all recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:55:49 PM EDT
[#1]
First determine if you want a scanner or weapon sight
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:59:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First determine if you want a scanner or weapon sight
View Quote
I think monocular versus weapon sight. I want to be able to scan without it being mounted to my rifle.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 12:14:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Pulsar. Best value by far in your price range. My helion great.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Pulsar without a doubt, if anything their customer service is #1.

No 38 Coyote Double Trouble Lehigh Defense 300BLK 120gr Wicked FTM Bullet Pulsar Trail XP38
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:20:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Any specific model of Pulsar recommended over others?
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#6]
best bang for the buck IMO is a scout TK $565 on amazon.

I was impressed with how well it worked honestly, great for getting your feet wet with thermal.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been trying to decide between a FLIR Breach, PTS233 and the Pulsar RXQ30V. The breach is small enough to be helmet mounted or fit into a shirt pocket, while the PTS233 and RXQ30V are both weapons sights, yet small enough to double as a scanner. The RXQ can be bought from Ultimate NV and it comes with a free return to zero DLOC mount with a green display only, but the PTS233 has an internal video recorder and different color palates. All 3 of these units are a few hundred from each other and from the reviews are good to @ 100 yards for PID. If you where to step up to a XR38 Apex for 2,500 your PID will be @ 200 yards from the reviews I've read, you'll have a focusable objective lens which will give you a superior image vs the 3 mentioned and will also come with a free DLOC mount from Ultimate NV, multiple color palates, but no internal recorder. For 3K the Pulsar XP38 has more features than all 4 mentioned plus more etc. It's a never ending upgrade so IMHO it's better to pick the bare minimum your willing to settle for and buy that model since the next better one is only 300-500 more.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Any specific model of Pulsar recommended over others?
View Quote
UNless I missed it you really need to tell us what you want to do with the TWS before we can recommend a specific unit.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've been trying to decide between a FLIR Breach, PTS233 and the Pulsar RXQ30V. The breach is small enough to be helmet mounted or fit into a shirt pocket, while the PTS233 and RXQ30V are both weapons sights, yet small enough to double as a scanner. The RXQ can be bought from Ultimate NV and it comes with a free return to zero DLOC mount with a green display only, but the PTS233 has an internal video recorder and different color palates. All 3 of these units are a few hundred from each other and from the reviews are good to @ 100 yards for PID. If you where to step up to a XR38 Apex for 2,500 your PID will be @ 200 yards from the reviews I've read, you'll have a focusable objective lens which will give you a superior image vs the 3 mentioned and will also come with a free DLOC mount from Ultimate NV, multiple color palates, but no internal recorder. For 3K the Pulsar XP38 has more features than all 4 mentioned plus more etc. It's a never ending upgrade so IMHO it's better to pick the bare minimum your willing to settle for and buy that model since the next better one is only 300-500 more.
View Quote
Great response. Thank you!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a helmet mounted Breach and a PTS233 that I've loaned to a hunting buddy

Skipping potential issues with FLIR customer service I've been really happy with both. I can't believe the amount of game I can see while scanning with the Breach, and how well they show up in the PTS233. We've been varmint hunting 6-8 hours a night every weekend lately and I've gotten a lot of view time with both. Very impressed actually...I thought you had to get in to the 4K+ range for effective thermal but that really doesn't seem to be the case

Munny mentioned the 100 yard PID and I would agree with that for both, maybe a bit farther for the PTS233. They are both extremely good for acquiring targets but I use the REAP for final verification before we shoot. The ranch I hunt on has a lot of trophy bucks and it's not so easy to tell at 200 yards if the animal is a deer or hog, but within about 100 yards we make PID with either pretty easily

I don't have experience with the Pulsar's mentioned but they sound like they are worth investigating also. I'm happy with the Breach in particular because of the helmet mount but if I needed another thermal I'd look at Pulsar as well. Buy FLIR from a good company and you should be ok if warranty issues come up

Z
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:42:48 AM EDT
[#11]
If you’ve got a budget of 3k, I’d suggest trail xq38.  You’ll be happy with it for as long as you own it, assuming you don’t borrow a trijicon for a night .  Also worth mentioning, there is no such thing as free.  Whatever free accessories may come with your purchase, are built into the price .  I’d suggest shopping around for best price for yourself. No different than buying a truck.  Chevy is the same at every Chevy dealership around the country...... good luck and enjoy, any thermal is better than no thermal .  Except ATN, F$$$ ATN
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 2:07:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Pulsar apex xq38
$2249.97 from optics planet with code "washtax".

https://www.opticsplanet.com/pulsar-pl76417-apex-xq38-dig-nv-scp.html
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 5:58:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Are there any units out there that are designed to be usable as both a monocular/scanner and a weapons sight?  I primarily want one just for looking at shit in the dark (to compliment the NV binos), but it would be nice to have at least a passable thermal scope.  Like all I want from it is the ability to mount it on a rail and display a crosshair that is at least roughly zero-able.  Main reason for that desire is for SHTF, or on the off chance I get into hunting later in life.  Otherwise, E-COTI is something I'm thinking about.  But at the same time, I'm thinking if I spend the money on thermal, I might as well get something with some good resolution and image quality so I can really see stuff.  Damned if I can find it now, but a while back someone posted a thermal pic of a truck that was goddamn BEAUTIFUL, incredible image quality.  Not sure a heat source "highlighter" is worth $7k to me.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#14]
@Klaustrophobia

You appear to be in the same Titanic, maybe Lusitania, boat and looking for what I asked for in my thread HERE

If you have binos already, then an E-COTI is only $7-8000 away.

If you are starting from scratch, as discussed in the other thread, do you save more for a standalone, go with the E-COTI + NVG, Bridge a FLIR BREACH with NVG or etc.

To help me decide. I'm waiting to see what TNVC says in my thread about the potential image burn risk of the E-COTI on my potential $15,000+ DTNVG's in the question I asked and the normal tube life-damage issues.

Any idiot can buy the latest tech off eBay, near mil bases, gunshows, etc. The whole challenge of these setups, is making it legal and that's what drives up the price and suffering.

As soon as we think we found the answer, or have it, we hit by an iceberg or more torpedoes and there goes that crazy idea.

If anything, maybe TNVC will give me a discount given all the sales they must be having from my E-COTI thread
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:53:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I was impressed with how well it worked honestly, great for getting your feet wet with thermal.
View Quote
I bought mine for $450 out the door.

Link Posted: 11/3/2018 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
@Klaustrophobia

You appear to be in the same Titanic, maybe Lusitania, boat and looking for what I asked for in my thread HERE

If you have binos already, then an E-COTI is only $7-8000 away.

If you are starting from scratch, as discussed in the other thread, do you save more for a standalone, go with the E-COTI + NVG, Bridge a FLIR BREACH with NVG or etc.

To help me decide. I'm waiting to see what TNVC says in my thread about the potential image burn risk of the E-COTI on my potential $15,000+ DTNVG's in the question I asked and the normal tube life-damage issues.

Any idiot can buy the latest tech off eBay, near mil bases, gunshows, etc. The whole challenge of these setups, is making it legal and that's what drives up the price and suffering.

As soon as we think we found the answer, or have it, we hit by an iceberg or more torpedoes and there goes that crazy idea.

If anything, maybe TNVC will give me a discount given all the sales they must be having from my E-COTI thread
View Quote
The video you looked at says over time looking at the same light source will eventually burn an image into your screen which is correct. With a COTI/E-COTI there is a brightness control and as long as you don't have looking at the same image for several minutes at a time you should not have a problem. In the vid it also mentioned that when Chip returned from a mission that he had laser streaks on the screen and that he had to purge them to remove them from the screen. Usually when you see laser/bright light streaks on your screen they usually disappear after a few seconds/minutes. If not the simple purge is put on the lens covers, wrap it in aluminum foil, turn on the unit, and leave it in the bottom of your sock drawer for 24 hours will usually will clear the screen.

One more thing worth mentioning about the COTI/E-COTI is that it's not a traditional thermal scanner but more of an enhancement for thermal/nv fusion. For a no light pitch black condition where you can see shit even with the latest OMNI VIII NV the COTI in outline mode rules the day.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The video you looked at says over time looking at the same light source will eventually burn an image into your screen which is correct. With a COTI/E-COTI there is a brightness control and as long as you don't have looking at the same image for several minutes at a time you should not have a problem. In the vid it also mentioned that when Chip returned from a mission that he had laser streaks on the screen and that he had to purge them to remove them from the screen. Usually when you see laser/bright light streaks on your screen they usually disappear after a few seconds/minutes. If not the simple purge is put on the lens covers, wrap it in aluminum foil, turn on the unit, and leave it in the bottom of your sock drawer for 24 hours will usually will clear the screen.

One more thing worth mentioning about the COTI/E-COTI is that it's not a traditional thermal scanner but more of an enhancement for thermal/nv fusion. For a no light pitch black condition where you can see shit even with the latest OMNI VIII NV the COTI in outline mode rules the day.
View Quote
Thank you for your post. You are convincing me not to throw money away on a BREACH. To save and apply that $2000+ money towards an E-COTI. And pair that to an appropriate Monocular (easier pill to swallow) or if possible DTNVG-BNVD (save a little longer to make happen).

All assuming technology in the civil realm doesn't come out with something better in the short or near term.

At the back of my mind, in the other thread, I was struggling with if these civilian-ized units were built and operate to the same "high" standard as military units?

Or if I should save the money towards the hopes of getting better units, if those can be sold to prior service people, etc.

All the nice units like L3 31 BNVD, EOTech Fusion BNVS, etc., seem to be Agency, Mil, LEO only. If they could stretch that legal/policy definition to also include prior service, perfect.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What is the current best value in the thermal market right now? Have been kicking this around for more than a year and the value purchases always seem to change.

Budget limit is absolute at $3k, but would prefer to remain around $2500. PVS-14 is coming shortly, but for my purposes, I would like to get the thermal first.

Any and all recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
View Quote
I have a FLIR LS-XR it is a 640x512 sensor. It is over your budget at 3500....but I strongly recommend that whatever you get, try to get a 640 core.

More pixels is better! I have looked through a bunch of lower resolution monoculars and they were not as nice a view.
 More pixels helps with electronic zoom too. I love my FLIR. Good luck on whatever you decide!
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 6:26:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thank you for your post. You are convincing me not to throw money away on a BREACH. To save and apply that $2000+ money towards an E-COTI. And pair that to an appropriate Monocular (easier pill to swallow) or if possible DTNVG-BNVD (save a little longer to make happen).

All assuming technology in the civil realm doesn't come out with something better in the short or near term.

At the back of my mind, in the other thread, I was struggling with if these civilian-ized units were built and operate to the same "high" standard as military units?

Or if I should save the money towards the hopes of getting better units, if those can be sold to prior service people, etc.

All the nice units like L3 31 BNVD, EOTech Fusion BNVS, etc., seem to be Agency, Mil, LEO only. If they could stretch that legal/policy definition to also include prior service, perfect.
View Quote
From my understanding Nivisys the makers of the TACS-M civilian model and Optics1 makers of the AN/PAS 29
military model are under the Victorinox umbrella. The 29 has more options but as re basically built the same. The 29 is drop/water proof/hard use tested by the military so durability of either unit should be identical.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Both Tmm1270 and Munny are perfectly accurate here.

Munny with the “never ending upgrade” comment and Tmm1270 with his “if you don’t want to buy one, don’t look through a Trijicon/IR Hunter” comment.

And Tmm is out 4-5 nights a week killing hogs or coyotes along the I45 corridor in between Huntsville and Dallas.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Would something like that be good for finding a hog or something I just shot and it ran off into the brush?
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

From my understanding Nivisys the makers of the TACS-M civilian model and Optics1 makers of the AN/PAS 29
military model are under the Victorinox umbrella. The 29 has more options but as re basically built the same. The 29 is drop/water proof/hard use tested by the military so durability of either unit should be identical.
View Quote
Would you guys recommend the 320 x 240 TACS-M unit

or paying well over twice and almost three times the price of a TACS-M, for a 640 x 480 Optics1 E-COTI ?

That extra 3-4K+ in price could pay the price for a suitable monocular or be applied towards a DTNVG etc.

I can only find the Optics1 branded E-COTI civilian 640 x 480 unit.

There are a number of 320 x 240 TACS-M but I can't seem to find TACS Victorinox civilian branded 640 x 480 version of the E-COTI. If it exists, perhaps it would be priced less than the Optics1 version.

Like the OP I had started out with options to get the cheaper alternatives. Maybe the OP will also up the game.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:37:04 PM EDT
[#23]

I like my pulsar LD19S. I got it for $1100. I can see squirrels at 100yds.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Honestly, thermal has not been changing nearly as rapidly as I thought it would.  I got a 60mm MkIII IRHunter when they came out.  Don't think they have been surpassed in their price range yet-about 3 years so far.  More comparable options now, but not  much in core changes.  Hell my 2 year older Patrol still has basically the same core.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I bought mine for $450 out the door.

https://i.imgur.com/b4jd6Kr.jpg
View Quote
Quoted:

Would something like that be good for finding a hog or something I just shot and it ran off into the brush?
View Quote
Kind of on the same lines  MJBT how well does yours work for tracking lost or fleeing people in the woods?  My boss is hesitant to spend 3K on a set up, but I don't mind spending $500 on my own.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:11:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, it will help considerably but it also depends on the terrain really, and the environmental conditions. Cheaper thermal degrades faster in bad weather or tough conditions like fog or high humidity. All thermals are blocked by cover and decent concealment, so if the animal runs into thick bushes or into timber it will still be hard to track with any thermal, even harder with cheaper thermal until you get a clear line of sight past whatever concealment they may be in

If the animal is in the open even low end thermal will see enough heat to spot it

Still better than trying to find them under NV or white light IMO, unless you are tracking blood, then white light wins. Thermal won't see blood nearly as well as the naked eye...I've never seen a glowing trail of hot blood leading up to the animal, though you often do see blood come off it when the round first hits

Z
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I like my pulsar LD19S. I got it for $1100. I can see squirrels at 100yds.
View Quote
quoted to embed video
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#28]
What is the general consensus of the: Pulsar Apex XQ38 2.2-8.8x32mm Thermal Imaging Riflescope PL76417?

Seems like a nice upgrade versus the RXQ30V and the Flir PTS233. I am seriously considering this thermal right now. Everything I have seen has been very positive.

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What is the general consensus of the: Pulsar Apex XQ38 2.2-8.8x32mm Thermal Imaging Riflescope PL76417?

Seems like a nice upgrade versus the RXQ30V and the Flir PTS233. I am seriously considering this thermal right now. Everything I have seen has been very positive.

Thanks!
View Quote
An adjustable objective focus and the ability to see clearer further @ 200 yards vs 100-150 for the PTS233/XQ30V
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote
@Tmm1270

Uses/used this optic.

Apparently MunnyShot has as well!
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I don’t use one anymore, but did for a long time.  The only negative to it I no rechargeable battery.  Yes you can add one, but by the time you do, you’re approaching trail xq38 price, and you’ve got wires running around your rifle . The image will be the same .  The rxq30 is really not even in the same ballpark as the apex. There’s a big jump in performance between the two.  I think the image of the apex is superior to the flir , and like the operating system of pulsar more.  Just flows better in my brain.
Obviously the above is my opinion, so take it for what it’s worth...
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 1:38:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Would you guys recommend the 320 x 240 TACS-M unit

or paying well over twice and almost three times the price of a TACS-M, for a 640 x 480 Optics1 E-COTI ?

That extra 3-4K+ in price could pay the price for a suitable monocular or be applied towards a DTNVG etc.

I can only find the Optics1 branded E-COTI civilian 640 x 480 unit.

There are a number of 320 x 240 TACS-M but I can't seem to find TACS Victorinox civilian branded 640 x 480 version of the E-COTI. If it exists, perhaps it would be priced less than the Optics1 version.

Like the OP I had started out with options to get the cheaper alternatives. Maybe the OP will also up the game.
View Quote
Maybe you should stick to your e-coti thread you’re so proud of.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 4:13:28 AM EDT
[#33]
I own and use the Apex XQ38. Great scope.

Only downside is no on board video and if you want a long wasting battery you have to run a cord to the scope. But two CR123 give you 4 hours of run time which isn't bad.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote
It’s the absolute best bang-for-buck thermal on the market. The OLED screen is a high step above the other two you mentioned.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:25:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If you’ve got a budget of 3k, I’d suggest trail xq38.  You’ll be happy with it for as long as you own it, assuming you don’t borrow a trijicon for a night.
View Quote
Are the Trijicon units that good?  Any of you guys have experience with the Pulsar XP50 and a Trijicon?  What is considered the better Trijicon?

Also, I'm assuming higher resolution is better?  I believed that until I read this damn article and it suggests a few thermals that have lower resolution (the article was suspect to me right off the bat because they didn't list a Trijicon on it).

Is the higher resolution of the XP50 worth the almost 1000.00 Pulsar asks for it over the XQ50?

Sorry about the million questions, this is a shit ton of money for me, and I'm a huge proponent of "buy once, cry once."

Thanks much guys.  I'm sure I'll have more questions.  I really don't want to start a new thread, either.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:04:53 PM EDT
[#36]
FWIW, I like my Breach a lot. The size is why I like it. I have a mini Pelican case I set up for it. It's small enough I'm willing to toss it in a pack when I go lots of places. I debated just buying a thermal scope and using it as a scanner so I'd have the option. But a larger optic I might not bother packing for space reasons. For me, better to own the one I'm more likely to use.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 12:27:59 AM EDT
[#37]
I have a Pulsar Apex xq50.  Love it.... use it to scan and identify game as we hike out pre-dawn.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 4:45:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Are the Trijicon units that good?  Any of you guys have experience with the Pulsar XP50 and a Trijicon?  What is considered the better Trijicon?

Also, I'm assuming higher resolution is better?  I believed that until I read this damn article and it suggests a few thermals that have lower resolution (the article was suspect to me right off the bat because they didn't list a Trijicon on it).

Is the higher resolution of the XP50 worth the almost 1000.00 Pulsar asks for it over the XQ50?

Sorry about the million questions, this is a shit ton of money for me, and I'm a huge proponent of "buy once, cry once."

Thanks much guys.  I'm sure I'll have more questions.  I really don't want to start a new thread, either.
View Quote
If you are truly a buy once cry once guy get a Trijicon mk3 60.  If you say that but really mean “come on I’m not spending $9k on a scope!” buy a 640 Pulsar.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:16:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
FWIW, I like my Breach a lot. The size is why I like it. I have a mini Pelican case I set up for it. It's small enough I'm willing to toss it in a pack when I go lots of places. I debated just buying a thermal scope and using it as a scanner so I'd have the option. But a larger optic I might not bother packing for space reasons. For me, better to own the one I'm more likely to use.
View Quote
^ This is my take.  It depends on what you intend to use it for.

Shooting hogs from a blind?  The advantages of the Breach don’t mean as much.  Throwing it on an equipment belt?  Carrying  it all day?  Slam.

Since the advantage is size/form factor....YMMV
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I see no advantage to the Trijicon.  Not one.  I've held the Reap side by side with an XP50 and looked at animals at various distances.  I'd take the XP50 all day and twice on Sundays.  That's just me.  I'm very bullish on Pulsar.  I think what you get from them for your dollar is amazing.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#41]
I’m not sure the xp50 vs the Reap is a totally valid comparison given lens sizes?   For the money the Pulsars are hard to beat.  I prefer the Trijicon’s more robust housing.  I also think the xp50s native 1.6 mag sucks.  That scope should be a 3x I think.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:56:58 PM EDT
[#42]
I think the pulsar XQ50 gives the best bang for your buck and that's why I bought one.
Price, Weight, Battery choices/options, PIP, 3 preset firearm profiles and the QD mount sold me.
Plus, it's been tested to take the Recoil of a .375 if needed. Most out there are limited to a 308's recoil.
A little bit more than the $3k you want to spend, but it's worth it.

SJC
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:08:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I’m not sure the xp50 vs the Reap is a totally valid comparison given lens sizes?
View Quote
That's fair.  Someone mentioned the REAP above so that's why I used it as the comparison.  Given that Trijicon doesn't have a 50mm offering, would you rather compare the XP50 to the Mark III 60?

I too would like a higher base mag in the Pulsar 640 lineup.  I would jump on a XP75 LRF in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I too would like a higher base mag in the Pulsar 640 lineup.  I would jump on a XP75 LRF in a heartbeat.
View Quote
You can set the base magnification to anything you want with the XP/XQ scopes and it'll hold it in that setting until you turn the scope completely off.
When not in use in the field, I turn the display off, not the scope, so I can have it ready for use in a heartbeat.
The XQ50 has a base mag of 2.7x, but I usually leave it at 4x.
When using the PIP, I leave the main screen at the factory setting of 2.7x and the PIP at 5.4x.
I haven't tried storing a rifle profile at a different magnification than the factory setting and seeing if it'll store it.

SJC
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:42:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That's fair.  Someone mentioned the REAP above so that's why I used it as the comparison.  Given that Trijicon doesn't have a 50mm offering, would you rather compare the XP50 to the Mark III 60?

View Quote
I’m not sure what to compare it to.  The 60 mk3 is about the best Ive ever seen, but is it worth double the cost of an xp50, no.   I agree that a higher mag 75mm pulsar would pretty well end the conversation....no question.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:00:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you’ve got a budget of 3k, I’d suggest trail xq38.  You’ll be happy with it for as long as you own it, assuming you don’t borrow a trijicon for a night.
Having used both in hunting scenarios, the Triji is nicer IMO.  I prefer the manual controlling of NUC times and the 60HZ doesn't hurt.  The picture is outstanding, and the form factor is compact and rugged.  Also, money wasn't really a factor in my decision...

If the Triji didn't exist I'd probably go Pulsar.  Tmm has probably the most experience with both in real action, so he may be the best voice, and may even let you try each out.

The REAP just came out with an updated model 60mm version which would compete with the MK3.  I like the 35mm for the type of hunting I do; good balance of magnification and FOV.  The 2.5 native magnification is great in the 35mm.

I may end up getting a Triji dedicated scanner as well.  They're that good.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:35:12 AM EDT
[#47]
So the type of hunting I would be doing will be posting up at various spots around dairy farms, driving dirt roads and scanning, no hiking or real difficult walking.  Because of this, I don't mind the size or weight of a larger optic.

I believe Tmm and I will be having a conversation over the phone in a few days...hoping that can get me a bit more guided.  I'm leaning on the Trail, but again, those Trijicons look beautiful in those damn review videos.  LOL!

To the gentleman that challenged my "buy once, cry once" philosophy, you're 100% right.  I figured buying the 9000.00 Mk3 60mm would end any debate, but for me, the Trail/35mm Trijicon price ranges are at my personal crying level.  In fact, I don't think I can cry much more...just couldn't afford it
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 2:32:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I see no advantage to the Trijicon.  Not one.  I've held the Reap side by side with an XP50 and looked at animals at various distances.  I'd take the XP50 all day and twice on Sundays.  That's just me.  I'm very bullish on Pulsar.  I think what you get from them for your dollar is amazing.
View Quote
The Trijicon has one advantage over the Pulsars that really sours the deal on the Pulsars:  Trijis ballistic reticles are FFP, Pulsars are SFP and they are only accurate at 1x.

Pulsars may be able to see out okay, but what good is magnification and image quality if you can't use your reticles to shoot after zooming in?
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 2:34:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
So the type of hunting I would be doing will be posting up at various spots around dairy farms, driving dirt roads and scanning, no hiking or real difficult walking.  Because of this, I don't mind the size or weight of a larger optic.

I believe Tmm and I will be having a conversation over the phone in a few days...hoping that can get me a bit more guided.  I'm leaning on the Trail, but again, those Trijicons look beautiful in those damn review videos.  LOL!

To the gentleman that challenged my "buy once, cry once" philosophy, you're 100% right.  I figured buying the 9000.00 Mk3 60mm would end any debate, but for me, the Trail/35mm Trijicon price ranges are at my personal crying level.  In fact, I don't think I can cry much more...just couldn't afford it
View Quote
Tmm has or had almost all of them and will give an objective view.  These threads are always sprinkled with a mix of limited experience and purchase justifications.  It’s good to hear from someone who has hours of real action behind almost everything to then make your decision.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 2:37:10 AM EDT
[#50]
The plot thickens.......
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top