Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2018 4:48:30 PM EDT
First Impressions: N-Vision PVS-14 Monocular (Unfilmed White Phosphor L-3 IIT, zone 3 blemish) $3,295.00

Late last week I narrowed my search down to a couple options in regards to the purchase of my "forever" PVS-14. A solid PVS-14 that I would keep for years and get plenty of use out of with training, hiking, etc.

I decided on the blem L3 unfilmed white phosphor offering from N-VISION due to a few factors:

-Price: Their price for a zone 3 blem genuine L3 unfilmed WP PVS-14 is only $3,295.00. I was looking at thin filmed green tubes for just a few hundred less so this just seemed like an excellent deal.
-10 year warranty. Yes this is pretty standard with the top guys in the NV world, but I'm still impressed nonetheless.
-The minimum Signal to Noise spec on these is 30.
-The ability to hand select my specific tube, compare it to other available options, and get it shipped out THE NEXT DAY after placing the order(see below).

https://nvisionoptics.com/product/pvs-14-monocular-unfilmed-l-3-iit-zone-3-blemish/

When I initially reached out to their sales department, they immediately sent over three tube examples with specifications and allowed me to pick and choose which one suited me the best. After giving it some thought and some last minute consideration for other manufacturers, I placed my order this Tuesday 10/9:

Order Place: Tuesday PM 10/9
Built and Shipped: Wednesday 10/10

The specs on the tube are as follows:

33.9 SNR
0.8 EBI
0.7 Halo
64 lp/mm

At this point I was thoroughly impressed with N-VISION and their customer service. At the point of ordering, I requested overnight shipping because, to put it simply, I was loosing my mind with excitement and couldn't wait!

Fast forward less than 48 hours after ordering and it arrives to my door in Arizona. So like any grown man, I immediately opened the box and rushed to the nearest dark closet like a kid on Christmas morning.

Here is what I saw:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

As you can see, this tube is extremely clear with no shadowing, very low scintillation (photos taken in extreme low light ie my closet at work), and is simply crystal clear.

The zone 3 blem is a non issue due to it's location being on the very outside edge of the tube.

To say I'm happy with my purchase is a huge understatement. Scott and Matt at N-VISION went above and beyond to help me out and ship my unit out as quickly as they could.

If anyone else is in a similar situation and has any questions, feel free to post them below or message me privately.

Thank you

Attachment Attached File

@N-VisionOptics
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice, looks like a decent deal.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#2]
What did you use to take those pictures?  They are a hell of a lot clearer than mine.

I like the N-Vision blem I bought except for the shadowing mine has.  Its got great specs but the shadowing makes me miss my old tube that on paper seemed worse but it looked better.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What did you use to take those pictures?  They are a hell of a lot clearer than mine.

I like the N-Vision blem I bought except for the shadowing mine has.  Its got great specs but the shadowing makes me miss my old tube that on paper seemed worse but it looked better.
View Quote
Thank you, I'm using my Samsung Galaxy Note 8. Great camera ONLY when there is good lighting haha
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:01:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I know everyone loves TNVC, but competition is a beautiful thing for consumers. I’m sure they’ve lurked this post. Saving $700-800 for a minor blem is a steal, IMHO.

Great tube!
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#5]
On the way to the shoot spot now. I’ll message you when we are done and see if we can hook up!

Gonna be a WP on WP showdown!
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know everyone loves TNVC, but competition is a beautiful thing for consumers. I'm sure they've lurked this post. Saving $700-800 for a minor blem is a steal, IMHO.

Great tube!
View Quote
I love me some TNVC too but I would have bought one of these immediately if I hadn't already ordered WP from TNVC just a week before I saw this deal. I was tempted to cancel one of the tubes but didn't because they've done such a hell of a good job on all my purchases

Call me a giddy consumer but getting badass NV in 2 days is like the ultimate version of instant gratification

Congrats OP, really happy for you
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone! Really appreciate it.

@nvjunkie let me know!

Guys.... This 14 is awesome! I've had more OMNI VII & VIII green tubes than I can remember and this is just incredible! More random photos before I actually can put this thing to some good use

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:46:40 PM EDT
[#8]
That is awesome. Your pics turned out really well for a camera phone too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 1:21:56 AM EDT
[#9]
The two clearest tubes I’ve owned both had a larger blemish zone 3. The more I used them the more I appreciated  just how special they really were. Other than the blem they were crystal clear image wise.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The two clearest tubes I’ve owned both had a larger blemish zone 3. The more I used them the more I appreciated  just how special they really were. Other than the blem they were crystal clear image wise.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is awesome. Your pics turned out really well for a camera phone too.
Thank you! I'm very impressed with this tube so far. For it being a 64 lp/mm unit, the clarity seems incredible vs my other 64 lp/mm thin filmed green tubes!
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I think you might have just cost me 3 grand.  I can't imagine that blem is even that noticeable when it's on  your face and you're looking "out" at stuff.

I'd be quite happy with that image quality.  I'd mostly be walking around the woods at night and maybe taking an occasional shot at a beaver in the pond.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 1:41:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think you might have just cost me 3 grand.  I can't imagine that blem is even that noticeable when it's on  your face and you're looking "out" at stuff.

I'd be quite happy with that image quality.  I'd mostly be walking around the woods at night and maybe taking an occasional shot at a beaver in the pond.
View Quote
Do it! You won't regret it. Just got back from my first full night of use with the new 14 and I couldn't be happier

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Ignore the smudge on the last one, it was just the camera
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 6:25:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Really nice looking tube.  Those L3’s have got the “secret sauce”.  In general people (including me) can’t tell the difference in most specs.  But all these tubes seem to look great.

Great buy, great tube....congratulations.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#14]
So we met up last night. It was DARK out. As in, no way it’s ever getting any darker unless you’re in a Forrest under thick canopy.

First off, I didn’t even notice his blem. After a while I remembered he had one and then had to search for it.

But what you’ve all been waiting for. My similar spec echo vs his l3. First my friend who came with me. He swears he noticed no difference in clarity or brightness.

I think his eyes are on crack since I noticed the L3 tube was brighter. Not a ton brighter but brighter. Now it all comes down to what you want to spend?  $2500 or $3200?  Or $5000 vs $6400 for duals.

It also comes down to your eyes.

I’m happy with my echos. They are perfect for everything I’ll do with them. But maybe down the road, when funds permit, I’ll upgrade to L3’s.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Not bad OP.  Glad you like it.  Thermal comes next
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:00:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm all over one of these in the next week or two I think.  Dammit OP!  First NV unit for me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#18]
got mine today

POS wont turn on. Makes a weird static/humming noise. Tried multiple batteries.

Called CS and the girl asked if I had the batteries in there correctly

I though they would have QC'd these

@N-VisionOpticsAlpha

ETA

the guy that sold it to me called me back to get a RMA out to me, now I have to drive 30 miles to get to a fed ex place

ETA 2 see update below- they fixed it really quick
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 3:09:44 PM EDT
[#19]
For photography purposes, your tube seems exquisite. It's so clear!

No one has ever been able to explain to me why my super-high-spec L3 tube has such a pronounced pattern across the image.  It is INCREDIBLY DISTRACTING when trying to stargaze or take photos.

Link Posted: 10/25/2018 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 4:10:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For photography purposes, your tube seems exquisite. It's so clear!

No one has ever been able to explain to me why my super-high-spec L3 tube has such a pronounced pattern across the image.  It is INCREDIBLY DISTRACTING when trying to stargaze or take photos.

https://i.imgur.com/M00sUoc.jpg
View Quote
I’ve read over and over that honeycomb is normal under certain circumstances.

Mine will replicate it under very high lighting.  As in two feet away from a white wall and I put on an illuminator. Or a similar situation.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 12:09:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Fixed pattern noise. It’s completely normal dude.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 1:09:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I just ordered one.  Will be the first NV I've ever looked through.

@AZ2A

This is all your fault!  
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 1:40:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Fixed pattern noise. It’s completely normal dude.
View Quote
Understand that it's "normal." Just don't see it in other guys' pics online.  Makes me a little jelly! Maybe in person it's all the same, or maybe in person FPN is one of the tradeoffs of having 2600+ FOM.  Idk.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Understand that it's "normal." Just don't see it in other guys' pics online.  Makes me a little jelly! Maybe in person it's all the same, or maybe in person FPN is one of the tradeoffs of having 2600+ FOM.  Idk.
View Quote
Not really a trade off when you have a distracting  honeycomb pattern in almost any light condition.  Sometimes the term “normal” is used a little to loosely...
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I just ordered one.  Will be the first NV I've ever looked through.

@AZ2A

This is all your fault!  
View Quote
Congrats!!! That's so exciting, you're definitely getting some top notch gear for your first NV
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I just received mine yesterday. They are amazing. Went out hiking the hill last night it was like being super human.

My blem is not even noticeable when in use. I also see honeycomb patterns while in the house or if I turn the gain all the way up but if you keep them at a useful level it’s a non issue. It’s not like you are going to be staring at a white wall in the dark in your basement. Even though it seems like some arfcomers don’t leave their basement.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:10:00 AM EDT
[#28]
This.

It’s like complaining that when you focus on the dot of your RDS it gets blurry.

PROTIP: Don’t focus on the dot.

Quoted:
I just received mine yesterday. They are amazing. Went out hiking the hill last night it was like being super human.

My blem is not even noticeable when in use. I also see honeycomb patterns while in the house or if I turn the gain all the way up but if you keep them at a useful level it’s a non issue. It’s not like you are going to be staring at a white wall in the dark in your basement. Even though it seems like some arfcomers don’t leave their basement.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for the pro tip. Haha. I have no complaints at all these things are amazing. I was specifically looking for flaws in my basement closet and that’s what I saw. In actual use I didn’t notice a thing.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone! Really appreciate it.

@nvjunkie let me know!

Guys.... This 14 is awesome! I've had more OMNI VII & VIII green tubes than I can remember and this is just incredible! More random photos before I actually can put this thing to some good use

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/482038/20181011_191100_jpg-702169.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/482038/20181011_191136_jpg-702172.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/482038/20181011_191156_jpg-702173.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/482038/20181011_185532_jpg-702175.JPG
View Quote
GORGEOUSITY!

(Is that even a word?)
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Solid. That’s why the chicken wire is ultimately a non-issue. If you’re seeing it, the ambient lighting is most likely brighter than what you should be looking at with the tube. TLDR; dual down the gain.

Quoted:
Thanks for the pro tip. Haha. I have no complaints at all these things are amazing. I was specifically looking for flaws in my basement closet and that’s what I saw. In actual use I didn’t notice a thing.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 1:09:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
got mine today

POS wont turn on. Makes a weird static/humming noise. Tried multiple batteries.

Called CS and the girl asked if I had the batteries in there correctly

I though they would have QC'd these

@N-VisionOpticsAlpha

ETA

the guy that sold it to me called me back to get a RMA out to me, now I have to drive 30 miles to get to a fed ex place
View Quote
Got it back today.

They hooked me up with a 3x for the asspain. Works just fine.

Afa the pvs. WOW.

It is so clear. The blem  is so far to the side you have to look for it.

I flew with nogs in the mil for 20 years and they are shit compared to this.

I will post a new thread with pics when I take the out tonight
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Got it back today.

Afa the pvs. WOW.

View Quote
That is great to hear! I knew they would take care of you. Congrats
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:32:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Got it back today.

Afa the pvs. WOW.

View Quote
What model did  you buy? Can you provide a link?
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What model did  you buy? Can you provide a link?
View Quote
PVS 14 blem
nvision blem

call them up they will send you the specs and you could choose your model. They usually dont have a ton of them, because they are blems they get them in when they get them in.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#36]
I just played with an unfilmed white phosphor unit today. I think it was a pinnacle tube. Either way, I know I'm definitely going to get some. They were so much better than I used as a grunt in 2006. Merry xmas to me. To all the experts reading, I'm going to start a thread next week for some questions i'm sure to have after doing some research.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top