Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2018 10:34:16 PM EDT
When I first received my tnvc pvs14, I noticed the IR illuminator didn’t appear the illuminate evenly. Upon examining the front, I saw the IR lens appeared slightly off center. Didn’t really bother me because I never planned on using the illuminator. I took the PVS on a road trip, at which time it never left a padded backpack pocket. Upon return, I fired it up to look at some stars, and noticed glowing on the edge of the right side. After playing around, I noticed when the IR illuminator is turned on, a shadow would be projected in the exact same spot. Upon removing the front lens cover, I noticed the shade went away. It appears the illuminator is hitting the lense cover and causing it to throw a shadow? The edge glow is always present, though is only visible when the gain is turned down, or when the device is powered off. Upon powering off the device, the glow persists for several seconds, before eventually fading away. I noticed that the pvs made odd sounds on startup during this experiment, but after waiting a day and checking again, it no longer does, though the other signs are still present. After examining the front, I noticed the lense appears to be even more off center than before. This was one of the limited run thin film WP tnvc units. And is a few months old with less than 3 hours of usage. It spends most of its life in the safe or on my helmet when walking around or driving.

Here are some photographs of the canted lens and right side shading. I tried to photograph the edge glow, but it won’t seem to show up in the photographs. It’s in the same spot as the shadow.

Any idea what’s going on?

Canted lens

https://imgur.com/a/P45JaTW

Same picture as next but with front lens cover removed
https://i.imgur.com/Dba7CkX.jpg

Right side edge shadow
https://i.imgur.com/J294f9k.jpg
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 10:57:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Easily fixed by calling TNVC
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:16:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I get the same shadow with a lens cover installed.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 12:01:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Does your IR look canted as well? If it’s something normal then I don’t care, but I didn’t notice it before and the edge glow was definitely, 100% sure not there before. I wish I could photograph it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 12:09:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Easily fixed by calling TNVC
View Quote
Or just

@TNVC
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 8:49:56 AM EDT
[#5]
They have a great and fast CS dept. I had a battery connection issue and they fixed it in a couple days and shipped it back with no issues since. If you dont have a hydro dipped unit you should not have any problems getting it rebuilt and reshipped with a new illuminator in a day or two if it is bad or at least get it installed correctly.

As far as images persisting after turn off that is also normal. The capapitance drains after you cut power and it keeps operating at a low level for a few seconds till all the power drains. Kind of like tour grandma's old black and white that reduced output to a point and had a dot that kept glowing and slowly faded. Only your analog NV unit does not have an electromagnetic beam gun that stops firing anywhere but center,  so you can see the whole image very dim and fading for a couple seconds.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 10:07:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top