Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2018 6:36:22 PM EDT
I have a friend who is really into shotguns and is looking to start wild pig hunting, at night of course. He has tasked me with finding a NV sight option for his shotgun. If you have any insight I would be thankful.
He did not mention the price he was looking to spend, so $0 to $3000 would probably be within reason. The shotgun would be a Mossberg pump if that matters.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 6:45:21 PM EDT
[#1]
PVS14 mounted on his head and an IR laser on the shotgun.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats what I would do but he wants a sight much like a Eotech sized unit. Then he said he would like to use the bead through it. I informed him that was a no go.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#3]
What about LaserLytes Center Mass laser system. Anyone try it?
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure if your serious about that. I'm thinking I'm going to convince him to get a side mounted OTAL-C and a PVS-7/14 with a night cap.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thats what I would do but he wants a sight much like a Eotech sized unit. Then he said he would like to use the bead through it. I informed him that was a no go.
View Quote
Ok, PVS-14 on head and Eotech sized Eotech on shotgun.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ok, PVS-14 on head and Eotech sized Eotech on shotgun.
View Quote
+1

This will work
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 8:19:36 PM EDT
[#7]
How well will a PVS-14 handle the recoil of a 12ga? The Eotech/PVS-14 mounted combo sounds good. OR,  an Aimpoint/PVS-14 combo.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How well will a PVS-14 handle the recoil of a 12ga? The Eotech/PVS-14 mounted combo sounds good. OR,  an Aimpoint/PVS-14 combo.
View Quote
Not a shot, pardon the pun. Most will advise against .223 recoil.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 10:20:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have an AN PVS4 that has been refurbished by TNVC who also put a brand new generation 3 tube inside and it is supposed to be rated for .308. So, maybe that fits the bill as it should be able to handle the recoil of a shotgun. It's a little bit bigger and heavier than an EoTech Holosight, though. However, the field of view and clarity is outstanding and it has adjustable cross hairs. It's much better than looking through the tiny 19mm tube of my AN PVS14.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 12:26:54 AM EDT
[#10]
The PVS 4 is even rated for the M2 .50 cal. so I think it would work fine on a 12 gauge. It is bulky and heavy though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 1:10:51 AM EDT
[#11]
My mistake. I thought we were only talking about 14’s.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 3:23:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 5:39:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a friend who is really into shotguns and is looking to start wild pig hunting, at night of course. He has tasked me with finding a NV sight option for his shotgun. If you have any insight I would be thankful.
He did not mention the price he was looking to spend, so $0 to $3000 would probably be within reason. The shotgun would be a Mossberg pump if that matters.
View Quote
If he tasked you to do it and rejected your suggestion Id let him figure this out for himself. He is not going to be happy with the size and weight of a PVS4. There is no "use the bead" sight option. Just let him try to use your PVS 14 and see for himself how ridiculous his request is.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:02:51 AM EDT
[#14]
A bright green laser would make skeet shooting at night look like a lightsaber battle.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 7:46:27 PM EDT
[#15]
There is a user called Sapper Titan on the Texas Hunting Forums that has NVD, or maybe Thermal, on a Rem 870.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Now we are getting somewhere, got a link?
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 2:25:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Last year I got to shoot a low-light 3-gun match in Colorado. For shits and giggles I ran NV binos for everything, scattergat included. Birdshot on the little 3x3 steel poppers was stupid easy to about 20yds. I was using a mossberg 590a1 with an XS epoxy-on big dot. I could easily catch the tritium in that big dot and aim relatively normally.

Ek
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 2:54:40 AM EDT
[#18]
"......XS epoxy-on big dot..."

That was my first thought. Should be easy to use and solid as a rock for recoil. The NVG, if helmet mounted and the helmet isn't hammered by the gun, ought to be fine too.
I have never used (with NV only) a tritium front sight without a tritium rear sight to align it with. Perhaps placing a second tritium dot a bit further back on the shotgun rib would help eliminate shooting over the target when the barrel isn't well defined on the darkest nights.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I haven’t been able to go hunting for feral hogs in quite some time but I have a hard on for the idea of doing so with a shotgun and night vision. I want to trick out a beretta 1301 for that.

RS Regulate makes a BM-1 variant that would fit many shotgun magazine tubes. I’d think that a CQBL and V-light with the Unity/TNVC hub like my Ak has would be about the best work around for that application.

Ek
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I can't be the only one here who thinks a V3 Remington Tac 13 with a Steiner OTAL would be fun AF under NODs...

The question is, how do you get a rail on there...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top