Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2018 2:06:42 PM EDT
Hey everyone, so I'm finally buying my "forever" PVS-14 and I've decided it's between the following two options:

High Performance HP+ Pinnacle Autogated Night Vision: $2,999.00

Resolution: 64 lp/mm MIN. S/N: 25.0 min. Photocathode Response: 2200 min., Electronic Background Input: 2.5 max.  In layman's terms: this breaks down to mean a brighter, cleaner view through one of our "Upgraded" versions than our "standard" version of the PVS14 3rd Gen Pinnacle Autogated devices. Most units ships with higher specifications than the minimums listed!
View Quote
PVS-14 Monocular (Unfilmed White Phosphor L-3 IIT, zone 3 blemish): $3,295.00

Special pricing on Gen 3 Unfilmed White Phosphor L-3 Auto-Gated systems with 1 large spot in zone 3. Minimum signal to noise is 30, resolution 64.  Tube data sheet is included with the unit.
View Quote
BOTH are from site sponsors with great reputations, come with a 10 year warranty, and are obviously top of the line PVS-14s.

Now a couple things about me. I do a ton of hiking with NV. That's my main goal with getting my "forever" 14. It will see hundreds of hours of use every year during hiking, and probably under 20-40 hours of shooting via helmet mount.

I've used WP quite a few times and there's never been that wow factor for me. It's great, don't get me wrong but I've never really felt the need for white vs green. All I really care about is overall performance. I'm regularly in areas with extremely bright lights then the next minute, there's almost zero ambient lighting.

So what unit would you recommend?? Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 2:15:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I doubt seriously that this will be your one and only.  I bought my first a few years back, nothing wrong with it, no spots, period.  Looked through a few at a class, and realized that SN and no spots is not the end all be all of specs.

I currently have white and Green and, other than the specs of the white being higher, I don’t personally think that the white is better because it’s white versus green.  Also, know that some of the standard PVS-14 lenses are made for green.  Supposedly there are lenses made for white, but they ain’t cheap.  Perhaps we’re not getting all of the benefits of white phosphor without white phosphor- spec’d lenses?

I’d go with the less expensive, or maybe hold out for a real nice pre-owned one with spec sheet to come up for sale here.

I’ve bought 3 that way, and have not been disappointed, and have saved a few bucks as well.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 2:20:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I doubt seriously that this will be your one and only.  I bought my first a few years back, nothing wrong with it, no spots, period.  Looked through a few at a class, and realized that SN and no spots is not the end all be all of specs.

I currently have white and Green and, other than the specs of the white being higher, I don’t personally think that the white is better because it’s white versus green.  Also, know that some of the standard PVS-14 lenses are made for green.  Supposedly there are lenses made for white, but they ain’t cheap.  Perhaps we’re not getting all of the benefits of white phosphor without white phosphor- spec’d lenses?

I’d go with the less expensive, or maybe hold out for a real nice one with spec sheet to come up for sale here.

I’ve bought 3 that way, and have not been disappointed, and have saved a few bucks as well.
View Quote
Thanks for your input. I forgot to add, I've had dozens of PVS14s, quite a few PVS7s, PVS15s, NVD BNVDs, and more. I went from having 15k on my face and hating that risk to the ultra budget side of gen 3 night vision and wanting just a bit more.

The idea of buying off the EE and saving some cash is definitely an option as I've done it many times before but I want to buy one "no comprosises" PVS-14 that I just keep forever. Of course ther will be more, especially since I'm addicted to buying and selling but I want a 14 that's sort of my ride or die that I'll always have haha.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Those are good specs, for sure.  High light resolution could be a little better, real good EBI, decent halo, but overall (I’d love to hear what others have to say) I think this is a great tube.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ll go the other end. WP is better than green. I own the former and sold the latter. Both high end units.

WP is much less fatiguing on the eye. It was also no film vs thin, so the specs were better.  I’d definitely go WP but would not go under 72 resolution. You can get 35 SN, no blem, 72 res, low halo and ebi tubes at good prices.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve heard that you can get on “the list” with TNVC for an “astronomy” type tube, might be worth calling.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I’ll go the other end. WP is better than green. I own the former and sold the latter. Both high end units.

WP is much less fatiguing on the eye. It was also no film vs thin, so the specs were better.  I’d definitely go WP but would not go under 72 resolution. You can get 35 SN, no blem, 72 res, low halo and ebi tubes at good prices.
View Quote
I have an Unfilmed green and an unfilmed white.  I think the specs you provided above would look awesome in unfilmed green or unfilmed white.  I’m not behind nods enough to comment on the fatigue, I can say that the white “looks cooler” but I don’t personally see it as more useful.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks! "good prices" sounds like it's over budget for me unfortunately. $3,000 was originally my budget but I've since bumped it up a little
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks! "good prices" sounds like it's over budget for me unfortunately. $3,000 was originally my budget but I've since bumped it up a little
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, please PM me if you know who is selling these tubes mounted with a warranty.  Thanks!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Dumb question heads up:

Thin filmed to unfilmed... is there any durability or reliability concerns with this?
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#10]
IMHO you'll be happy with either and I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between the 2 if you compared them side by side. I think Gthirteen hit it on the head as far as what your best course of action would be. I wouldn't have a problem buying a used high spec unit from a trusted member here on the EE and taking what you saved vs a new and buying a used PVS7 also. IMHO a 7 is better for hiking since both eyes see an image and depth perception is much better. A 14 is better for me for tactical use since I can sight with my RDS with my unaided eye both in the dark or if the lighting environment suddenly changes and still use an IR laser with NV.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
IMHO you'll be happy with either and I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between the 2 if you compared them side by side. I think Gthirteen hit it on the head as far as what your best course of action would be. I wouldn't have a problem buying a used high spec unit from a trusted member here on the EE and taking what you saved vs a new and buying a used PVS7 also. IMHO a 7 is better for hiking since both eyes see an image and depth perception is much better. A 14 is better for me for tactical use since I can sight with my RDS with my unaided eye both in the dark or if the lighting environment suddenly changes and still use an IR laser with NV.
View Quote
I already have a couple PVS7s and for some reason I much prefer a 14 when it comes to hiking. I find myself tripping and having depth perception issues with the 7s. Absolutely love them for everything else though!
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I already have a couple PVS7s and for some reason I much prefer a 14 when it comes to hiking. I find myself tripping and having depth perception issues with the 7s. Absolutely love them for everything else though!
View Quote
Yup I guess everyone is wired differently. I just picked up an additional 14 on a Mod Armory bridge and would have been much happier with a good set of 7s. Don't get me wrong my 14s kickass as far as specs/clarity go and being able to split them are great, but I wanted a dedicated bino/biocular set up 7s would have saved my a lot of duckets.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Green vs White is more preference really. I’ve spent entire nights behind green and white. Although the white is a little less fatiguing I think it’s more negligible really. If you are actually doing things behind them then you don’t really notice any more fatigue on white vs green really, that’s why I say it’s negligible. Everyone is different however.

The most important aspect as others said is get good specs and go filmless.

As far as I know the newer filmless tubes have no durability issues compared to thin filmed. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but the filmless ones that had durability issues were early on ones and not what’s currently available from Harris or L3?
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#14]
There was a thread awhile ago this where one poster had seen several L3 filmless tube have recoil damage and he started both the new L3 and Omni VII ITT/Harris where just as durable as the other.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for everyone's help and input! I've decided I'll be buying the white phosphor tube. Although it is "only" 64 lpm resolution, I've never felt that wasn't good enough for my purposes. Having a filmless tube and a high signal to noise ratio (33.9) will be a significant improvement over what I have used and will serve me well.

Hopefully that particular tube will be available tomorrow morning!
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks for everyone's help and input! I've decided I'll be buying the white phosphor tube. Although it is "only" 64 lpm resolution, I've never felt that wasn't good enough for my purposes. Having a filmless tube and a high signal to noise ratio (33.9) will be a significant improvement over what I have used and will serve me well.

Hopefully that particular tube will be available tomorrow morning!
View Quote
Dude hit me up the second you get that bitch so we can compare tubes. Plus, do you own or rent?  If you own get an extra insurance rider and have it covered for anything and everything including stupidity. I’ve already had a 14 covered for just that reason lol
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Dude hit me up the second you get that bitch so we can compare tubes. Plus, do you own or rent?  If you own get an extra insurance rider and have it covered for anything and everything including stupidity. I’ve already had a 14 covered for just that reason lol
View Quote
You know I will! And good info (I own), I'll definitely be doing that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top